Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
it's definitely bizarre that people are like OH THANK GOD IT'S THE PATHFINDER like the pathfinder is anything other than 'head scouting person'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Unnamed One posted:

But also The Second Coming? Because going from the streams several characters act like the Pathfinder is a loving religious figure.

(Though I guess Moses might be a more apt comparison)

well it seems every ark had a pathfinder. and your the first one too show up. none of the other arcs made it yet. so basicaly its the sole wagon train guide with any expirence, but since daddums is dead and he passed it on to his genetic abomanation failson/faildaughter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well it seems every ark had a pathfinder. and your the first one too show up. none of the other arcs made it yet.

Why would you (presumably) only train one motherfucker to find a whole planet for each ark?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
OH THANK GOD IT'S DAPPER_SWINDLER

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

black.lion posted:

Yea but

how much ram do you have

16? vOv

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

Why would you (presumably) only train one motherfucker to find a whole planet for each ark?

because contrivance.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I'm not debating that, but counterpoint, you have a bunch of people who probably joined together when Bioware was staffing up due to KOTOR/ME/DA:O, and they become friends through the fire of shipping a game, and then about 5 or 7 years in people realize that they want to work in a place like Austin or SF which has a lot of game companies, or get tired of the long hours at low pay which is every game company, or just get tired of writing games and decide to double their salary by working at Google or something. And at any company, if there's someone whose best friends at work start leaving, I can guarantee they start sending out their resumes soon because I've done the same thing.

And then you have someone leave and John Dumbrow comes in and does a fantastic job, or David Gaider steps aside to run something and they move Patrick Weekes over from ME so he can run that franchise. Which I would have preferred it if he ran ME but I'm glad he's running something because he's a great writer and I'm looking forward to Dragon Age: Tevinter.

Counter-counterpoint, the people who made Mass Effect are gone. If anyone says that the Bioware that made Mass Effect and Dragon Age is gone they are right. 2009 Bioware put out two hot original IP titles in a row and set the standard for AAA roleplaying. If modern Bioware is in a position to do either of these things then I'll do something crazy like buy their games.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

If the setting was Dune-esque I could see a title like "pathfinder" getting religious awe and inspiration easily (I mean Navigators are pretty priest-like)

But they went all in and "screw nuance, our term for Chosen One is pathfinder, go hog wild"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

holy loving god I can't breathe

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They needed a term like "Inquisitor" but Ryder has no bona fides so here we are.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Played 2 hours so far on my computer. Running Ultrawide at 2560x1080 with all graphics options maxed, and it runs just fine. The game is good and fun and I don't see any issues with it. Can't tell if people are just bitching to bitch, or what, but the game is fine.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

JBP posted:

I guess they are like Specters in that they aren't trained rather they earn that title by their experience. Alec was an N7 and was one of the first to travel through the Relays, presumably the other 3 are just as good.

And everyone on the Nexus was stranded and half starving until the Human Arc showed up, so everyone is looking for hope to cling to, which in this case is you.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

JBP posted:

They have teams too, he's just the head dude. THE PATHFINDER instead of Pathfinder Team Member 5.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

They needed a term like "Inquisitor" but Ryder has no bona fides so here we are.

I suppose my thinking is why have some idiotic chosen one special title at all. Have them be Alec's dumb poo poo kids with basic training and maybe some nepotism battle/explorer gear who go out and become big god drat heroes.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The "inquisition" part of DA:I was pretty underwhelming :( however, Herald of Andraste was there to be much more appropriate (and in your face) that you are a chosen one, but at least they subverted it pretty nicely, kudos to them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Transmetropolitan posted:

The "inquisition" part of DA:I was pretty underwhelming :( however, Herald of Andraste was there to be much more appropriate (and in your face) that you are a chosen one, but at least they subverted it pretty nicely, kudos to them

Sitting on the chair judging people often fell flat but it had glimmers of great gaming.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or not because God, I mean The Maker, works in mysterious ways

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

Sitting on the chair judging people often fell flat but it had glimmers of great gaming.

That was a nice touch.

Wasn't it Justinia's spirit who grabbed you in the Fade, and people assumed it was Andraste and you kind of weren't the religious figure after all but people assumed you were?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 16, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JBP posted:

The best judgment wasn't done in a chair.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna cancel my preorder today...

And preorder the regular edition.

gently caress spending nearly $200AUD more for a diecast Nomad model and a steelbook. What was I thinking :shepface:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Played 2 hours so far on my computer. Running Ultrawide at 2560x1080 with all graphics options maxed, and it runs just fine. The game is good and fun and I don't see any issues with it. Can't tell if people are just bitching to bitch, or what, but the game is fine.

cool, can you tell me more. what you think? not being a baiting dick, genuinely curious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress spending nearly $200AUD more for a diecast Nomad model and a steelbook. What was I thinking :shepface:

you mean the one that doesnt come with the game?

i am just doing the deluxe which is cheaper on amazon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

What are you going to do with the rest of your kangaroo bucks?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you mean the one that doesnt come with the game?

i am just doing the deluxe which is cheaper on amazon.

It comes with the game:

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-218452-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Nomad-Diecast-Collectors-Edition-PlayStation-4

It's 260 aud (200 usd) for game, steelbook and diecast Nomad.

At another store I can pay 70 aud (54 usd) for the game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Crabtree posted:

What are you going to do with the rest of your kangaroo bucks?

Bad-dragon.com

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think it's loving stupid that they need to have an OMG ~special title~ instead of just calling them by their name or rank. You were Shepard in the ME games, not SPECTRE. It feels like a lovely thing they brought over from DA 'The Warden,' 'The Champion,' 'The Inquisitor.'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

That was a nice touch.

Wasn't it Justinia's spirit who grabbed you in the Fade, and people assumed it was Andraste and you kind of weren't the religious figure after all but people assumed you were?

Yep. Inquisition is a lot more fun if you pick all the "but I don't even believe in Andraste" dialogues

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cool, can you tell me more. what you think? not being a baiting dick, genuinely curious.

I don't know, to me the game just "feels" good to play. It's smooth, it looks good, and I think the shooting feels nice. I'm only just after the part where you become pathfinder, so my opinion is kinda nebulous. But my initial gut reaction is that after everything negative i've seen, I just don't see any of it. It reminds me of the first eden prime mission in the beginning of ME1 redone with the Frostbite engine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I think it's loving stupid that they need to have an OMG ~special title~ instead of just calling them by their name or rank. You were Shepard in the ME games, not SPECTRE. It feels like a lovely thing they brought over from DA 'The Warden,' 'The Champion,' 'The Inquisitor.'

Next there will be three major missions like finding out what happened to the Asari, Turian, and Salarian arks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pathfinder is also not the most awe-inspiring title

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

Next there will be three major missions like finding out what happened to the Asari, Turian, and Salarian arks.

there is

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

what I find a bit funny regarding the pathfinder business is that this is the first bioware game that comes to mind that your character is a true green as grass fool thrown into the mess

- ME had Shepard

- DA: Origins you had a whole origin story which set you up pretty nicely for your merits and reasons to become a gray warden

- even DA2 (good lord) had Hawke working their rear end of to become somebody even if a lot of that wasn't shown to you

- Jade Empire you were the most promising student of a total loving badass wise master

- KoTOR, probably? (I just remember you are a just a random guy waking up but I have no idea since I didn't finish it)

Now, don't get me wrong, the idea of Alec Ryder being an arrogant and prideful rear end in a top hat that couldn't trust Cora the job (even though she palled around asari commandos with hundreds of years of experience before going in) and throws into the lap of their completely inexperienced kids; that would be a good setup for a lot of interesting poo poo to explore between relations.

Instead so far all there is "PATHFINDER" and everybody shrugs and go "OMG ITS YUO" and welp nepotism

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And even if they pulled out SPECTER as your rank or whatever, you weren't apparently the only one of these very important job of exclusive poo poo fixer of the galaxy. Here? It's like I'm apparently the defacto leader of the whole colonial government, yet I'm the schlub unclogging the toilets and putting down the insurrections personally. Why do I even need the rest of you idiots in Fuckbay when this colony functions with just me, the robot AI in my brain and the ship?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is nepotism how everyone at Bioware got their jobs and they made this game to try and show how it was cool and good?

Taking a break. Multiplayer still feels okay but either my guns suck or Remnant bosses have waaaaaay too much health.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Did the intro planet area thing. Combat really lacks...impact?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know, to me the game just "feels" good to play. It's smooth, it looks good, and I think the shooting feels nice. I'm only just after the part where you become pathfinder, so my opinion is kinda nebulous. But my initial gut reaction is that after everything negative i've seen, I just don't see any of it. It reminds me of the first eden prime mission in the beginning of ME1 redone with the Frostbite engine.

yeah, watching the streams, the whole beginning reminds me of a more disjointed first act of mass effect 1. good to know it plays well at least. i am sure i will like it enough. how is the character customization?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

what I find a bit funny regarding the pathfinder business is that this is the first bioware game that comes to mind that your character is a true green as grass fool thrown into the mess

- ME had Shepard

- DA: Origins you had a whole origin story which set you up pretty nicely for your merits and reasons to become a gray warden

- even DA2 (good lord) had Hawke working their rear end of to become somebody even if a lot of that wasn't shown to you

- Jade Empire you were the most promising student of a total loving badass wise master

- KoTOR, probably? (I just remember you are a just a random guy waking up but I have no idea since I didn't finish it)

Now, don't get me wrong, the idea of Alec Ryder being an arrogant and prideful rear end in a top hat that couldn't trust Cora the job (even though she palled around asari commandos with hundreds of years of experience before going in) and throws into the lap of their completely inexperienced kids; that would be a good setup for a lot of interesting poo poo to explore between relations.

Instead so far all there is "PATHFINDER" and everybody shrugs and go "OMG ITS YUO" and welp nepotism

KOTOR you were literally the bad guy before you knew you were the bad guy. You're only a good guy because the other bad guy tried to kill you on account of the whole Sith Lord and Sith Apprentice relationship

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gmq posted:

I think my cpu is throttling like crazy and that's why ME:A runs like crap on my computer.

I have no idea how to fix it though, new case since this one has no side panel and maybe water cooling? :v:

This is from several pages ago but I would like to note that your processor is nearly hot enough to boil water

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, watching the streams, the whole beginning reminds me of a more disjointed first act of mass effect 1. good to know it plays well at least. i am sure i will like it enough. how is the character customization?

Literally laughable. Makeup and scar options are awful trash. An enormous step down from the Inquisition character creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
can u autistic goofs please talk about gameplay instead of the intricacies surrounding the fuckin title of your char