Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought I was looking at the trailer for the new blade runner and then it was actually ghost in the shell. Is there a new blade runner? I don't even think I'd heard that there was one in the works but I believed that's what I was watching and it just felt like something hollywood would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Krinkle posted:

I thought I was looking at the trailer for the new blade runner and then it was actually ghost in the shell. Is there a new blade runner? I don't even think I'd heard that there was one in the works but I believed that's what I was watching and it just felt like something hollywood would do.

There is and it's going to be terrible.

Hey, uh, Harrison, want to get with the wardrobe dept. and see what they've cooked up for you?
Eh, nah, I think I'll just stick with my t-shirt and jeans.
Yeah, no prob, it's not like the design aesthetic was what people liked about the original or anything. The main selling point was definitely "Harrison Ford looking miserable".

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the Ghost in the Shell movie is a success so we get a big budget, live action Lain movie. Lain will also be played by Scarlett Johansson

LOL nah we'll get live action Evangelion

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2b0mp2hco
This looks like such a boring trainwreck.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Entropic posted:

I wonder if Ford only took that role for the paycheck

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder if Ford only took that role for the paycheck

Let's just say it moved him.. TO A BIGGER HOUSE PLANE!

But seriously I will be disappointed if Villeneuve has a dud :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LOL nah we'll get live action Evangelion

Patlabor, with Noa played by Gal Gadot.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Patlabor, with Noa played by Gal Gadot.

Ranma 1/2 starring Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Lawrence

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nah, Ryan Gosling is couldn't do it, he's busy playing Vash the Stampede.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

Nah, Ryan Gosling is couldn't do it, he's busy playing Vash the Stampede.

Vash the Stampede requires personality though. You'd need somebody like Seth Meyers to get buff.

...actually, Will Arnett could probably pull off Vash the Stampede.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Entropic posted:

I've been on a Villeneuve kick recently so you know what? I'll give it a chance.

In other news they're rebooting The Matrix. :lol:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Start casting assholes

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mordja posted:

In other news they're rebooting The Matrix. :lol:

For loving real? :magical:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
poo poo I just realized it's been nearly 20 years since The Matrix came out. :corsair:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Start casting assholes

LoGH would unirnoically make a great live-action drama series. HBO should do it as a replacement for Game of Thrones once that ends.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Just going to assume logh stands for legend of golden hitler

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I may have asked this before but seriously how much longer can this reboot/remake/belated-sequel-that-nobody-asked-for bullshit last?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blue Star posted:

I may have asked this before but seriously how much longer can this reboot/remake/belated-sequel-that-nobody-asked-for bullshit last?

There's a reboot of Legends of Galactic Heroes too

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Star posted:

its a bubble i tell ya!!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Entropic posted:

I don't have some sort of reverence for Blade Runner so this looks like it might be cool. Gosling is in-too-many-things, Ford obviously just wants to die irl, and Ridley Scott is a joke these days. Plus, ~Sony~. And the shot with Goslong hitting the piano key is marked just before his fingers play it which bugs me. HOWEVER: Korean which is neat, the style looks pretty dead-on and the giant head reminded me of Beksiński.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

remaking ghost in the shell with scarlet johansen seems like a cool idea. i'm gonna go see it in theaters. also i don't like the anime but not because it's anime lol. i just think it's clunky and bad as a movie, but the concept and some of the visuals are kind of cool.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Reminder that in like 1995 people were complaining about remakes of the brady bunch, mchale's navy, beverly hillbillies, etc. and were certain the remake bubble would burst.

Now we're remaking Friday the 13th for a third time, starting a third Spider-Man franchise, and I think we're up to our 7th King Kong remake.

I'm honestly amazed that no one has stolen my idea for a Sleepaway Camp remake where everyone at this progressive California summer camp knows Angela is trans and has a ding dong but the twist at the end is she's a lovely tumblr girl with a vagina that identifies as an MtF trans woman.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

i just think it's clunky and bad as a movie, but the concept and some of the visuals are kind of cool.

kind of like blade runner

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Just going to assume logh stands for legend of golden hitler
lol

also Keanu as Yang Wendil would own.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Reminder that in like 1995 people were complaining about remakes of the brady bunch, mchale's navy, beverly hillbillies, etc. and were certain the remake bubble would burst.

Now we're remaking Friday the 13th for a third time, starting a third Spider-Man franchise, and I think we're up to our 7th King Kong remake.

I'm honestly amazed that no one has stolen my idea for a Sleepaway Camp remake where everyone at this progressive California summer camp knows Angela is trans and has a ding dong but the twist at the end is she's a lovely tumblr girl with a vagina that identifies as an MtF trans woman.

Can't believe no one has made this yet...but give it time.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

About 1997 we saw the death of the 20s-40s nostalgic, cartoon-styled adventure film adaptations after probably a good 10 year runs. Mostly comic titles, but consider The four Burton/Schumacher Batman movies that all had that tone them, The Phantom, The Shadow, The Rocketeer and Dick Tracy. Even The Mask had bits of it in there. I guess you could even say things like Who Framed Roger Rabbit have quite a bit of it in there, too. You also had stuff like Biggles and Brenda Starr. If Corman's Captain America had actually gotten a US theatrical releases, it'd probably be in there, too.

I'd be sort of interested in why these were the things that got focused on in the late 80s/90s so much in tone. Was it in large part to the success of Burton's first Batman? Biggles and Brenda Starr were produced before that though, but probably also the least remembered of them? Flash Gordon and Doc Savage and Reeve's first Superman films would probably similar fall into that category of such films, but all three were made nearly a decade or more before the Burton Batman boom as to be part of a totally different window of time.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 16, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 1997 we saw the death of the 20s-40s nostalgic, cartoon-styled adventure film adaptations after probably a good 10 year runs. Mostly comic titles, but consider The four Burton/Schumacher Batman movies that all had that tone them, The Phantom, The Shadow, The Rocketeer and Dick Tracy. Even The Mask had bits of it in there. I guess you could even say things like Who Framed Roger Rabbit have quite a bit of it in there, too.

Tied in with the swing dancing fad nicely!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

priznat posted:

Ah the days when Harry Connick Jr was a household name.

Also you forgot the TV show "The Flash" whose reason for existing was Tim Burton's Batman.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

priznat posted:

Yeah. The 40s were just in. LA Confidential and Mulholland Drive probably fit into that too. Burleque Revival started around then too; Dita Von Teese et al.

It's weird that 50s nostalgia was hot poo poo in the 80s (Grease, Back To The Future) and things kinda backpedaled from there as the years ticked forward.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Hell Yeah posted:

remaking ghost in the shell with scarlet johansen seems like a cool idea. i'm gonna go see it in theaters. also i don't like the anime but not because it's anime lol. i just think it's clunky and bad as a movie, but the concept and some of the visuals are kind of cool.

This is objectively the correct opinion and assessment

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah. The 40s were just in. LA Confidential and Mulholland Drive probably fit into that too. Burleque Revival started around then too; Dita Von Teese et al.

It's weird that 50s nostalgia was hot poo poo in the 80s (Grease, Back To The Future) and things kinda backpedaled from there as the years ticked forward.

Throw in Happy Days, American Graffiti and Porky's in that 70s/early 80s 50s nostalgia, too.

Pleasantville in the late 90s, too, is sort of a bookend/counterpoint to Back to the Future just about 12-15 years earlier as 50s nostalgia from sort of different, more critical direction while still being a comedy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also Blast From The Past.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
In the 80s windows of more 50s nostalgia, I guess we have Hoosiers, too. Was Blue Velvet set in the 50s? I can't fully remember.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why does the girl in that ghostly shell movie where a weird skin colored wet suit?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Trunko posted:

Why does the girl in that ghostly shell movie where a weird skin colored wet suit?

Something something nanoskin cloak weave, gotta be naked.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Trunko posted:

shes a robot

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
pretty loving stupid if there are no ghosts in that movie

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Trunko posted:

she's a robbit and it might be a cloak suit or part of her body or something

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Haven't seen a more blatant example of a character being designed specifically to create boners in a while. It actually surprised me, like, "oh, we're still doing that?" because it seems like super progressive Hollywood should be past that if they were really as super progressive as they claim. I'm not personally offended or anything - just seems a bit hypocritical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I see so you're saying women aren't allowed to be sexy they aren't allowed to express their beauty is what you're saying basically, literally

that's QUITE problematic you womanhater

• Locked thread