Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
That part with the TV guy in the shower watching himself and quoting along cracks me up. I basically assume Trump ends his day like that. I also want a home shower cube like that some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

basic hitler posted:

I think that's kind of what's killing me, everything about this story screams extremism except the movie has a bunch of people preaching enlighenment/liberal era notions of society and class.

V is still an insane terrorist extremist I guess, but they contain it to just him. The only other extremists are Ironic John Hurt & His Nazi Henchmen. A violent anarchist sends his psychic echoes through society by planned acts of terrorism, that then excites their primal urge to... march peacefully & quietly demand reform.

But even marching quietly was too much for the nazis, so they were still breaking the law with their protest, which is enough for this story. It doesn't need to apply to real life to be a good story.

Hell, even in real life we have lots of modern laws being made to limit gatherings and such (free speech zones, needing permits for protests, etc).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

John Hurt playing Big Brother is a nice bit of casting, though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

basic hitler posted:

I think that's kind of what's killing me, everything about this story screams extremism except the movie has a bunch of people preaching enlighenment/liberal era notions of society and class.

V is still an insane terrorist extremist I guess, but they contain it to just him. The only other extremists are Ironic John Hurt & His Nazi Henchmen. A violent anarchist sends his psychic echoes through society by planned acts of terrorism, that then excites their primal urge to... march peacefully & quietly demand reform.

The other thing is that the Norsefire guys aren't nuanced at all. They're all elite upper class folks, cool as cucumbers. In Moore's book, they we're a dysfunctional lot, enthralled with the system because it provided some control that they didn't have their personal lives. And V basically plays them as cuckolds (figuratively in Adam Susan's case with the computer, quite literally with guy who runs the Eye).

It really needed a Rose character who is ruined by V and abandoned by the state.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

got any sevens posted:

But even marching quietly was too much for the nazis, so they were still breaking the law with their protest, which is enough for this story. It doesn't need to apply to real life to be a good story.

Hell, even in real life we have lots of modern laws being made to limit gatherings and such (free speech zones, needing permits for protests, etc).

The thing is that V For Vendetta is blatantly not just a story, but is overtly moralizing, both the graphic novel and the movie, but the movie doesn't really work. The morals of the movie are breaking the story they adapted.

Like, just look: This movie has stephen fry doing everything he can not to stare straight into the camera while lecturing on homosexuality, and the absurdity of a koran being illegal, his secret room that contains everything that's transgressive about his mind save one thing, but transgressive in a liberal vs. conservative sort of way, not in the spirit of a radical anarchist against the authoritarian right sort. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'm further left than this movie, and i'm not a straight person, so I earnestly agree with his sentiments. Don't take it wrongly, but that moralizing is unacceptable in a movie about an anarchist initiating social upheaval through murder and terrorism. The goal of pushing society to be transgressive was not to validate stephen fry's absurd collection of illegal art and history, nor his orientation, nor to make conditions so unstable that police kill children that results in a peaceful march. That guy wants everything torn down. He guts the government himself, blows up buildings that are both symbols of democracy and oppression, and he didn't do it to initate a pacifist movement.

This clash between the heavy handed inserted moralzing of the movie, and the overtly conflicting ideology of the underlying story make it bad. Even if that's done on purpose it's bad. I have a much better feel for why I don't like this movie now, this has been therapeutic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh, it definitely changed the style, and that put a damper on more naturalistic action. You're not wrong to think that a ton of stuff looked like The Matrix for a while. I just wanted to push back against "it was really only martial arts movies that were that highly stylized before."

The first Matrix movie didn't actually have a lot of stuff in it that hadn't been done before (heck, I don't know if it really had anything that was completely new in it) but it was massively influential for the longest time. Not just in films but in TV and real world fashion and all sorts of stuff, it really dug in deep into the zeitgeist. I think part of that was that the Goth scene and the internet were both bleeding into mainstream culture and The Matrix was just in the right place at the right time.

It's still pretty darn influential today, although often expressed via poo poo like Redpillers.

Leavemywife posted:

Now, let's discuss the effects of Mortal Kombat on successful video game movies.

Super Mario Brothers was genuinely a huge influence on subsequent video game movies by convincing the big studios that video games were box office poison. :v:

There should have been dozens of video game movies during the 90s but after SMB stunk up the place we only got Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was surprised how much V held up compared to, say, Equilibrium.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's still pretty darn influential today, although often expressed via poo poo like Redpillers.

I always loved this because MRA/whatever assholes are so stupid that they decided that "Yes, a film directed by trans-women about a black man and a woman waking a bi-racial man up to systemic oppression will be the perfect metaphor for explaining my views on how all women are inhuman penis receptacles and race mixing will usher in the end of western civilization."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weekly font posted:

i like the first scene cuz it's like yeah even if that gun kata stuff made you less likely to get hit you're standing in the middle of a bunch of guys they'd blow your rear end to bits.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why don't video game movies ever do good? Is it because you have a writer who may not have played the game at all writing it? Or do studios just see them as a quick cash grab and don't put in the proper effort? I think writing a video game movie takes more than adapting the game to the screen. You've really gotta get the feel of the game, you know, what made it work there, and not just throw the elements on a screen.

It's like eating an egg, a handful of shredded cheese and some sausage. Sure, that's what makes an omelette, but when you just throw them together, you don't have the final result of what making an omelette is.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

weekly font posted:

I've wondered before if Batman Begins was what caused the popularity of Equilibrium to go down. A better Christian Bale sci-fi/martial arts action movie. It's entirely anecdotal but I know with my circle of friends, we loved Equilibrium for a few years but stopped watching it around BB's release.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leavemywife posted:

Why don't video game movies ever do good?

Throughout the 90s it was mostly because the bigger studios wouldn't touch them so they got made by smaller studios on smaller budgets and were pretty much trash that didn't sell tickets. It wasn't until Tomb Raider in '01 that they started putting an actual budget behind the movies and taking them seriously.

There's at least 20 big budget video game movies currently in production including a Tomb Raider remake, Minecraft, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

basic hitler posted:

i've just realized the wachowskis pretty much just make tortured homages to soylent green. Now I need to watch Speed Racer to see if it... fits...

Speed Racer's plot is that the entire racing industry exists as a way of manipulating stock prices for auto manufacturers by fixing races. The bad guy of the movie is literally the stock market, and Speed beats it by believing in himself and then blowing up about 30 other racers over the course of a race with his frenzied murderdriving skills.

Ego-bot posted:

Someone else here said it best a few years back: The movie was made so people who voted for John Kerry could feel good about themselves.

Even in 2005 so much of the country and our media was still in the thrall of violent post-9/11 idiocy that I don't really have it in me to judge anybody making a "gently caress BU$HITLER!!!" movie at the time too harshly, even if it doesn't hold up a decade later. It came out only a year after a decent percentage of the population was legitimately crying for Michael Moore to be tried for treason, after all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

You've really gotta get the feel of the game, you know, what made it work there, and not just throw the elements on a screen.

The things that make games work are interactive. You can't just put them on a screen. Using a video game as source material gives you essentially nothing but basically-arbitrary restrictions.

Some day there will be a Clue or Pirates of the Caribbean that adapts a nonsensical property into a fun movie, though those had the benefit of not having to deal with fanatical fans who can be as much your enemy as a base of popular support.

And, of course, harder to get actual talent or funding on something that's so obviously a bad idea.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Sir Kodiak posted:

The key difference is that Neo's power as cyber Jesus only express itself when he's in the Matrix (i.e., the contemporary world of the end of the 20th century). While his trip into the "real world" of the future helps him awaken his power, the place he can bend time and space, stop bullets, fly, etc. is in the contemporary setting (the actual real world). The explanation that the world is an illusion is the conceit that powers the relatively mild fantastical elements of the contemporary action of the Matrix, like how all the stuff with vampires in Blade is how they justify a virile black man exterminating eurotrash.

In Jupiter Ascending, Labyrinth, The Last Starfighter, etc., it's the fantasy land where the important action and developments happen. This doesn't necessarily make any of them bad, but it's a whole different sort of story.

I believe the difference between Jupiter ascending and the basic Heros journey is that the heroine, Kunis, was unchanged, so she is unable to justify her existence. Some can say that was the theme, the unfairness of inheritance, but then we just watched a story rooting about characters that enforced that natural law, as the true heir arrived and collected her birthright.

If you wanted to make that story, Kunis needed to shoot sparkles out of her hands or something, or some type of dystopia caused by an usurper. The only thing Kunis had over her siblings was that she wasn't going to raze the earth; but she's very young and they are hundreds of years old, I say lets wait until she gets a wrinkle.

The complete lack of execution of the basic expectations of the genre is why the film failed and people point to Kunis and nick pick.

The action had no impact other than in the real world. She saved earth, that was it. Neither world were really important.

Femur fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha ha I was just looking up all the video game movies that have been made and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is the third biggest video game movie ever at the box office pulling in over $90 million domestically but they gave it a production budget of $200 million so it was still a giant stinky turd of a failure.

And did you ever wonder why the film had such a long title including a colon and a subtitle? It turns out "according to Disney and Bruckheimer [the movie] was supposed to be "the new Pirates of the Caribbean""
Whoooops nope

Edit:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Some day there will be a Clue or Pirates of the Caribbean that adapts a nonsensical property into a fun movie

Hey good timing!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

Why don't video game movies ever do good? Is it because you have a writer who may not have played the game at all writing it? Or do studios just see them as a quick cash grab and don't put in the proper effort? I think writing a video game movie takes more than adapting the game to the screen. You've really gotta get the feel of the game, you know, what made it work there, and not just throw the elements on a screen.

It's like eating an egg, a handful of shredded cheese and some sausage. Sure, that's what makes an omelette, but when you just throw them together, you don't have the final result of what making an omelette is.

they were gonna make a bioshock movie but bioshock only works as an fps where you listen to mission control.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hardcore Henry?

Not an existing property but w/e. It ruled.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were gonna make a bioshock movie but bioshock only works as an fps where you listen to mission control.

The problem with the Bioshock movie failed because they hired Gore Verbinski and he tried to actually film it underwater.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

One of the fun things about Bioshock is that it's one of those settings you could only afford to show in a video game. It's a perfect example of what you shouldn't try to adapt.

Femur posted:

I believe the difference between Jupiter ascending and the basic Heros journey is that the heroine, Kunis, was unchanged, so she is unable to justify her existence. Some can say that was the theme, the unfairness of inheritance, but then we just watched a story rooting about characters that enforced that natural law, as the true heir arrived and collected her birthright.

If you wanted to make that story, Kunis needed to shoot sparkles out of her hands or something, or some type of dystopia caused by an usurper. The only thing Kunis had over her siblings was that she wasn't going to raze the earth; but she's very young and they are hundreds of years old, I say lets wait until she gets a wrinkle.

The complete lack of execution of the basic expectations of the genre is why the film failed and people point to Kunis and nick pick.

Yeah, Jupiter Ascending has this aspect of Cinderella to it where she doesn't change, but is instead recognized as different. She's very passive. She doesn't come back having grown. She comes back with rocket boots.

got any sevens posted:

Hardcore Henry?

Not an existing property but w/e. It ruled.

Note how nonsensical one of its major charms – Sharlto Copley in half a dozen roles – would be in a medium with only voice actors. It's a movie with video games as one of its reference points, but it's not something that could have ever been the result of an actual adaptation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

how are they even going to do the red pill scene in new matrix in a post-trump mra-ruled america

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how are they even going to do the red pill scene in new matrix in a post-trump mra-ruled america

Best thing possible would just recreate it nearly shot for shot, just invert the colors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Replace it with a pink pill. :getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chairman Capone posted:

I've wondered before if Batman Begins was what caused the popularity of Equilibrium to go down. A better Christian Bale sci-fi/martial arts action movie. It's entirely anecdotal but I know with my circle of friends, we loved Equilibrium for a few years but stopped watching it around BB's release.

Nah, Equilibrium was a bad movie before Christian Bale was Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whenever Video Game movies comes up, everyone forgets that there are 6 Resident Evil movies, and a seventh one in production even though the last one was called "The Final Chapter."

Also, I didn't hate the Timothy Olyphant Hitman film.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the second hitman film is just really bad

if i want to be charitable, the mechanic series is what the hitman series wants to be

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

What is better? The new Transformers movies going all GIRL POWER or the people complaining that the movie series have been taken over by SJWs?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Equilibrium is not a good movie, only a rung or so above a Mila Jovovich movie, so that in fact is probably what caused it to disappear from the hearts and minds of today's youth.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The MSJ posted:

What is better? The new Transformers movies going all GIRL POWER or the people complaining that the movie series have been taken over by SJWs?

They are equally terrible. Transformers films shouldn't have people in them.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Films shouldn't have Transformers in them period.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kids shouldn't be in action movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Films shouldn't have Transformers in them period.

But what about The Fly, The Thing and various werewolf movies?

GrandpaPants posted:

Didn't Commando had a kid in it?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Michael Bay is the most subversive working director.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The MSJ posted:

Indeed it did. Alyssa Milano, even.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

the second hitman film is just really bad

if i want to be charitable, the mechanic series is what the hitman series wants to be
It wasn't that bad and certainly didn't deserve the drubbing the critics gave it. I've seen far dumber movies get at least a 60% on RT. Rupert Friend looks like a gun toting Moby but it was a decently enjoyable although forgettable movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

GrandpaPants posted:

Look, if there isn't a dimwit parent ignoring the kid trying to point out a big action scene, then it just isn't a good film.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Keanu Reeves should never do sequels to his own movies - and I'm going to stretch that to reboots preemptively - because they're always worse than the originals.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The MSJ posted:

As the hostage, yeah. She's in the beginning, the ending, and a part in the middle.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 16, 2017

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Electromax posted:

That part with the TV guy in the shower watching himself and quoting along cracks me up.

And you can see him in Speed Racer monologueing about how much he likes pancakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

dont even fink about it posted:

Equilibrium is not a good movie, only a rung or so above a Mila Jovovich movie, so that in fact is probably what caused it to disappear from the hearts and minds of today's youth.
I've never seen an RE film that was as dour and pretentious as Equilibrium. In fact, they're pretty fun, which Equilibrium was not.

• Locked thread