Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Orange Red Bull posted:

I like the explosive decompression and vacuum exposure from Event Horizon better but I suppose we dont really have any frame of reference and just medical theory.

Unless that has actually happened to someone and the governments of the world covered it up. Nobody has ever died in space right?

The closest would be this as far as anyone knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I like the explosive decompression and vacuum exposure from Event Horizon better but I suppose we dont really have any frame of reference and just medical theory.

Unless that has actually happened to someone and the governments of the world covered it up. Nobody has ever died in space right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_11

This video is more germane to the question of "what happens if you go into space with a bad suit?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO8L9tKR4CY Here's an article with some other examples as well: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 16, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Do not gently caress with Drummer. :commissar:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Orange Red Bull posted:

Yes, they have. Three cosmonauts died during reentry when Soyuz 11 depressurized while they were getting ready to reenter; with three people on board, there wasn't room for them to wear pressure suits. Also, a NASA tester was exposed to full vacuum when during an accident in a decompression chamber, but he survived.

You don't explode. Your blood doesn't boil (but some dissolved gases will leave solution, which means you can get the bends, but since you were only at 1 atmosphere of pressure in the first place, at most, it'll be minor compared to the cases that pressurized divers get). Oxygen will diffuse out of your lungs into the vacuum and then when that deoxygenated blood hits your brain it's lights out, so you've got about 15 seconds at most of useful consciousness. Your lungs collapse since there's nothing to inflate them and the moisture wetting your alveoli boils off (ditto the rest of your mucous membranes). Then a minute or so later you go into circulatory failure. Then your brain dies from lack of O2.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Surely we can all agree the belters are the coolest guys in the setting? *huffs vaccuum*

Yeaaaah....

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yeah, the show totally did Prax's intro and the "severing ties with Fred" better than the books.

For non-bookies re: Prax

The split between book 1 and 2 is dumb. Eros crashes into Venus, Protogen is broken up and book 2: Mars and Earth are full cold war again, Holden is hunting pirates.

Ganymede goes down almost exactly like the show. Bobbie fights Proto-monster, war breaks out in orbit, the mirrors fall.

In the books Prax stays on Ganymede, as it falls apart, looking for his daughter. Holden n Crew are sent to Ganymede by Fred to help with the refugee effort and they meet Prax when Holden steps in to stop a food riot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always had a good feeling about Drummer and she's kinda the best.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Drummer gonna Drummer. Also Amos, whenever Alex trieds to make him less self-desructive. "We can't get into a fight. Then who would fly the ship?"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow, that was crazy. I like how many times I was surprised this episode.

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, the show totally did Prax's intro and the "severing ties with Fred" better than the books.
Yeah, in contrast to Bobbie, and in line with Avasarala, show Prax is pretty great. They really sold how hosed up his situation is.

And Drummer is up there with Dawes and Diogo for background characters in the book that the show just took and ran with in a fantastic direction.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That spacing. :stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

That spacing. :stare:

Everyone is so blasé about mass murder in this show.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I loved the correct orientation of the elevator to the hull. It's the little details that sell it. Also, Amos' little facial ticks during his argument with Alex were practically a whole side conversation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Everyone is so blasé about mass murder in this show.

Relevant film quote: "charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Belters are a failed society and need a heavy inner hand to keep them from not mass-murdering inners and each others or launching random nukes trying to kill millions. I think the tattoo ink they use is toxic and has hosed up their brains. Fred Johnson is too good for them. Purge Dawes and his followers and install Fred as governor of all the belt.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The belt shouldn't even be occupied.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

De-populate the belt, if all it's for is resource extraction then use automated tugs and pull asteroids/chunks in from the belt to earth/mars orbit and take them apart there. Never have to hear some twiggy idiot whinging on about oppression while loving over or outright murdering his fellow belter and his only idea for a better future is launching random nukes at earth. If you took away their blind hate and blame of inners and granted them full independence they'd be killing each other off in a matter of years.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
How did it even get occupied? Did letting employees reproduce on-site cut fuel costs? Did they figure a network of floating company towns would be cheaper than a lights-out processing apparatus?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Baronjutter posted:

De-populate the belt, if all it's for is resource extraction then use automated tugs and pull asteroids/chunks in from the belt to earth/mars orbit and take them apart there. Never have to hear some twiggy idiot whinging on about oppression while loving over or outright murdering his fellow belter and his only idea for a better future is launching random nukes at earth. If you took away their blind hate and blame of inners and granted them full independence they'd be killing each other off in a matter of years.

I didn't know King Leopold II posted on these forums.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ATP_Power posted:

I didn't know King Leopold II posted on these forums.

One-handed workers are bad workers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/VengefulWhiteDove.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/ObedientJampackedFlickertailsquirrel.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/SomeAchingKitty.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/ElaboratePettyFunnelweaverspider.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/JadedJoyousFlyingfox.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/DampWillingGaur.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/CoolForsakenAnaconda.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/JovialGiganticIrrawaddydolphin.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/DapperDrearyGelada.mp4

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Holy poo poo Drummer owns.

Also I love Alex's reaction in that scene.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

I'm surprised the belter pilot didn't turn the ship and cook the bodies with the main engine.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Loved Mei's backpack. That poo poo is awesome.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Edit away....You can see the Martian Marines that Mei is waving at, nice attention to detail there.

Solid ep there. <3 Drummer takes no poo poo.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 16, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Those Space Cajuns got shot right in their drat heads.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I loved the correct orientation of the elevator to the hull. It's the little details that sell it. Also, Amos' little facial ticks during his argument with Alex were practically a whole side conversation.

And they knock out the control room by turning up the CO2 scrubbers, which makes me so very happy. Attention to detail all over this place.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And they knock out the control room by turning up the CO2 scrubbers, which makes me so very happy. Attention to detail all over this place.

Yeah, how exactly did that work?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral posted:

Edit away....You can see the Martian Marines that Mei is waving at, nice attention to detail there.

The genocidal Belter ship is visible in the exterior shots at Tycho.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, how exactly did that work?

The human breathing reflex is triggered by a buildup up carbon dioxide, not a lack of oxygen.

If a person breathes air that is poor in oxygen but not rich in carbon dioxide, they’ll feel nothing unusual till they just pass out.

On Earth, this can occur in environments like caves (methane displaces oxygen), industrial facilities (could be anything, commonly nitrogen or argon), or even the chain lockers on large ships—the oxygen bonds with the iron of the chain as it rusts.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 16, 2017

Woden
May 6, 2006
So the botanist is a new character for whoever played Miller in the PnP game right? Jeez dude write a new back story.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Platystemon posted:

or even the chain lockers on large ships—the oxygen bonds with the iron of the chain as it rusts.

I was familiar with the caves and stuff, but jesus, this is the stuff of nightmares. I would never have thought rusty chains would be a suffocation hazard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Woden posted:

So the botanist is a new character for whoever played Miller in the PnP game right? Jeez dude write a new back story.

Same haircut, too. :shepface:

Drummer is a beast. Big fan of Mei and Prax.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So why was Johnson so pissed off with Holden at the end? That seemed pretty out of left-field. They had one disagreement about the feasibility of going to Ganymede. Hardly seems like the thing that would push him into revoking their right to dock at the station.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So why was Johnson so pissed off with Holden at the end? That seemed pretty out of left-field. They had one disagreement about the feasibility of going to Ganymede. Hardly seems like the thing that would push him into revoking their right to dock at the station.

It was dumber in the book dont complain

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm not sure. Did Holden's actions at the little debate between Dawes and Johnson maybe precipitate the attempted coup in this episode? That was my thoughts but I'm not sure how good my memory is.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Phi230 posted:

It was dumber in the book dont complain

Fair enough. It seemed pretty dumb. How'd it go down in the books?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He told Holden to bring back anything about the protomolecule, and Holden was like "gently caress no, you can't even manage what you already have".

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

In the books, Holden gives Fred the protomolecule sample from the Anubis. After Ganymede, he goes into Fred's office and accuses him of being responsible for the attack, since as far as Holden knows he has the only protomolecule left. Fred fires him.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Holden thinks the protomolecule is loose on ganymede and he melodramatically overreacts and he barges into Freds office yelling at him because he thinks Fred is gonna pull an Eros , then he gets fired by Fred who suddenly hates him apparently , oh and also Naomi and Holden break up for no reason.

Everyone suddenly just gets dramatic and characters jump to conclusions and overreact in unrealistically stupid ways.

Its hard to explain without reading it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You could really just tell the author just wrote himself into a corner and pulled out some bullshit to change the story

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

In the books, Holden has been working for the OPA for a year or so as a pirate hunter. Him and Fred argue about Ganymede as Phi230 said.

Unfortunately, it looks like the show cut the bit where Fred just tears Holden to bits, because it doesn't fit at all with the compressed plot.

“You gave me the only sample we knew of. But you assume that if you don’t know about it, it doesn’t exist. I’ve been putting up with your bullshit for over a year now. This idea you have that the universe owes you answers. This righteous indignation you wield like a club at everyone around you. But I don’t have to put up with your poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like tje books dont get me wrong but at least in books 1 and 2 the characters personalities and motivations are fluid as to the needs of the overall plot so you get really dumb needless drama that comes from nowhere.

Like the whole "Holden is turning into Miller" thing is sooo bad because he uncharacteristically overreacts in the worst possible ways and then everyone around him uncharacteristically overreact to him in the worst ways.

It very much screams amateur RPG acting

• Locked thread