Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All of 'em. Freechman is rad too.

He's distracted because he should be studying in his was studying laboratoried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Johnny Joestar posted:

also basically all the nuclear pokemon look ugly as gently caress

Doubly ugly since they should be glowing blue with Cherenkov radiation. Uranium and uranium glass fluoresce bright green under a blacklight but that's the trick: that's under a blacklight and has nothing at all to do with radioactivity.

If you ever see green lights in a nuclear power plant you're probably fine. If you ever see blue, run (but it's probably already too late).

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doubly ugly since they should be glowing blue with Cherenkov radiation. Uranium and uranium glass fluoresce bright green under a blacklight but that's the trick: that's under a blacklight and has nothing at all to do with radioactivity.

If you ever see green lights in a nuclear power plant you're probably fine. If you ever see blue, run (but it's probably already too late).

To be honest, I'm a bit willing to cut them slack there if only because every media representation of radioactivity has always been green.
I never knew its meant to be blue.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Between the not Shadow Pokemon and the prominence of Pokemon Rangers, the creators seem to have a real boner for the B and C list spinoffs.

gently caress you Colosseum ruled

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

We have new type so I'm sure we're in for a super groan inducing new Eevee.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

krisslanza posted:

To be honest, I'm a bit willing to cut them slack there if only because every media representation of radioactivity has always been green.
I never knew its meant to be blue.

Oh, I know it's a thing.

I've just never really understood why. Teaching people that glowing blue rocks are bad could've saved a lot of lives. :saddowns:

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

we are, it's also the best nuclear type pokemon (aside from the legendary) in the game due to it's ability (because nuclear type had?? to have a equivalent pixilate ability).

most of the common wild nuclear pokemon are crap because A. they aren't fast, and\or B. they are using the wrong attack stat.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 16, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, I know it's a thing.

I've just never really understood why. Teaching people that glowing blue rocks are bad could've saved a lot of lives. :saddowns:

Holy poo poo that is a lot of terrible poo poo going down. I can't tell who I'm supposed to be angry with.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:stare:

Well that whole update seemed like... a mess. The Nuclear Pokemon don't... really make a lot of sense either. Like they are knockoff Shadow Pokemon except they don't really get why Shadow Pokemon worked the way they did, and are just kinda throwing in the Shadow Pokemon gimmick because it's "cool." The chart typing is especially messed up, even by Pokemon standards.

Things are only going to get worse, aren't they?

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
I think the nuclear deigns look neat. I guess I'm a sucker for the whole 'shadow-Pokémon' vibe, too.

That said I think the idea of the nuclear type being strong against everything and also weak against everything is a much better on paper than in practice. It's the kind of thing a 10 year old might suggest at a playground meeting of his peers, which falls apart terribly under even light scrutiny. It could maybe work as a single mon's gimmick rather than as an entire type?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I literally said "oh so they're Shadow Pokemon" when I read about the type advantages. Goddamn that's dumb. Like they had the perfect concept, XD's Shadow pokemon mechanics were really well done they could have just built on that. This is really the wrong way to go about this. You would never use a pokemon who doesn't listen to you because of how unreliable they are.

mandatory lesbian posted:

gently caress you Colosseum ruled

I love Colloseum but XD was way better gameplay-wise. They turned shadow Pokemon from a pretty one-note gimmick to a genuinely interesting mechanic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's went from a single coconut to an entire island!
Hmm... Why does this concept seem so familiar? I know I've seen it before, I just can't put my finger on it...

Fake Edit Also gonna be the dissenting opinion here and say that I actually kinda like the Nuclear battle theme. At least, it's the first one that doesn't just sound like a Pokemon battle theme played on top of an RPG Maker song...

Real Edit Oh my god, that's exactly what they did, isn't it? :cripes:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 16, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

bman in 2288 posted:

Holy poo poo that is a lot of terrible poo poo going down. I can't tell who I'm supposed to be angry with.

Probably the National Nuclear Energy Commission: of all the government agencies you can possibly gently caress up through political corruption, anything with the word "nuclear" should really not be one of them.

Yes, it's tempting to leave nuclear materials around in the hopes that Libyan terrorists will steal them to give to a scientist who will then go on to invent time travel by putting a nuclear reactor in the back of a lovely-yet-cool car with the help of a high-school guitarist, but in practice this virtually never happens.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I never played XD or colosseum. Someone give a shadow pokemon explanation?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

I never played XD or colosseum. Someone give a shadow pokemon explanation?
Evil Team of The Month discovers they can force Pokemon to obey them and get super-powerful by getting them juiced up on rage and hatred. They also invent a machine that lets them steal Pokemon.

The protagonist steals the only Pokemon-stealing machine, and rides away on his steampunk motorcycle to steal the Shadow Pokemon back and purify them by basically just not being a horrendous shithead.

Edit Steampunk Motorcycle. Colosseum was too good for this sinful earth.

Sociopastry posted:

Oh, neat. That sounds pretty cool. Functionally, was there any difference between shadow pokemon and normal ones?
In the first game, they all just know Shadow Rush, which is basically Evil Take-Down and is kind of useless for anything except making the Pokemon hate you a little more.

In the sequel, they got a bunch more Shadow Moves, that were super-effective against everything except other Shadows, but they never got STAB, so they were still not really worth it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 16, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Oh, neat. That sounds pretty cool. Functionally, was there any difference between shadow pokemon and normal ones?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Evil Team of The Month discovers they can force Pokemon to obey them and get super-powerful by basically getting them juiced up on rage and hatred. They also invent a machine that lets them steal Pokemon.

The protagonist steals the only Pokemon-stealing machine, and rides away on his steampunk motorcycle to steal the Shadow Pokemon back and purify them by basically just not being a horrendous shithead.

Edit Steampunk Motorcycle. Colosseum was too good for this sinful earth.

I need to play those games...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sociopastry posted:

IIRC, they couldn't evolve until they were purified of the shadow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Depends if you mean Colloseum or its sequel; XD: Gale of Darkness.

In Colloseum Shadow Pokemon were identical to regular pokemon except that their first slot was taken by the move Shadow Rush. This move has 90 power and infinite pp, it is super effective against all non-Shadow Pokemon and is not very effective against fellow Shadow Pokemon. However, when used, the pokemon takes 25% of the damage it inflicts. Since the only way to get pokemon in the game is to capture them from trainers using your illegal Snag Machine (you can only capture Shadow Pokemon though, your sidekick doesn't let you Sang regular pokemon from trainers), having a pokemon die from Shadow Rush can be...frustrating.
Shadow Pokemon can also go into Hyper Mode, where they get increased stats and Shadow Rush has a high chance of becoming a critical hit. Unfortunately in this mode your pokemon has a good chance of not obaying you, so it's up to you whether or not the gamble's worth it. To make a pokemon exit Hyper Mode, you need to spend a turn Calling out to it.
Shadow Pokemon cannot level up. Instead of an EXP bar they have a shadow meter which decreases as you use them more, call them to snap them out of Hyper Mode and so on. When you purify a Shadow Pokemon, they gain all the exp they would have gotten in the battles they participated in. At first, the shadow meter is maxed and the pokemon can only use Shadow Rush. As it decreases, it regains the other moves in its slots.

In XD:GoD they revamped the system a shitton. Shadow Pokemon now have their own set of moves, again super effective vs regular pokemon, not effective on fellow Shadow Pokemon. Shadow Rush got nerfed to only 55 power and sits alongside a plethora of other moves, like Shadow Panic (Confuse Ray basically), Shadow Half (halves the HP of all pokemon in battle), Shadow Rave (70 Power attack to both of the opponent's pokemon), Shadow Sky (changes weather to make dark energy fall from the sky. Basically a sandstorm effect, Shadow Pokemon are unaffected) and a ton of others. All Shadow type moves still have infinite PP.
Hyper Mode is replaced with Reverse Mode which...is completely loving useless as far as I am aware. It does not increase the crit rate of Shadow Pokemon as far as I know and unlike in Colloseum, Pokemon in Reverse Mode take a bit of damage every turn. Just call out to them to decrease their shadow meter. It's otherwise pointless.
The mechanics for Shadow Pokemon are otherwise the same.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Dexie posted:

IIRC, they couldn't evolve until they were purified of the shadow.

Or level up, but all of the EXP they earned was banked and received when purified.

They also had access to Shadow moves (only Shadow Rush, which is essentially Take Down with perfect neutral coverage, in Colosseum; XD added more moves) and, while they were usually obedient, they would sometimes enter Hyper Mode, where, in addition to getting a red DBZ villain aura, their Shadow attacks were massively powered up (I think the base power was doubled?). If you ordered them to use a not-Shadow move, though, they had a fairly high chance to ignore you and attack you, the opposing trainer, or a random pokemon of their choice (including your other pokemon since all battles in Orre are 2v2). I think Hyper Mode was nerfed a bit in XD due to more Shadow moves being added. It could be pretty useful to have a decently-levelled Shadow Pokemon (so one that you'd snagged from someone that was already high-level) in Hyper Mode for when you really needed to just punch something in the face. Also, if you used the Call function on a Shadow Pokemon in Hyper Mode, it would come out of Hyper Mode and get a huge reduction in its shadow gauge (which you needed to reduce to 0 before you could take it to Celebi and purify it). Call also let you wake up a sleeping Pokemon instantly whic was nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ace of Aces posted:

Call also let you wake up a sleeping Pokemon instantly whic was nice.
Oh, right.

Rest was OP as hell in Colosseum.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
That mechanic seems really funny just because the message of the pokemon games really comes down to "hey no no no we're not doing a dogfighting thing, these pokemon want to be with us and our friends, and by cooperation and teamwork along with good strategy we can win!"

vs Colosseum which seems to be "STEAL YOUR ENEMIES POKEMON MAKE THEM HATE EVERYTHING AND THEN RUN THEM RAGGED UNTIL THEY'RE NOT USEFUL! THEN fix them and let them return to normal society as if nothing happened"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, it's a story about rehabilitating animals you rescued from dogfighting rings by teaching them to be nicer when dogfighting and also giving them pets and saying their name sometimes.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Forer posted:

That mechanic seems really funny just because the message of the pokemon games really comes down to "hey no no no we're not doing a dogfighting thing, these pokemon want to be with us and our friends, and by cooperation and teamwork along with good strategy we can win!"

vs Colosseum which seems to be "STEAL YOUR ENEMIES POKEMON MAKE THEM HATE EVERYTHING AND THEN RUN THEM RAGGED UNTIL THEY'RE NOT USEFUL! THEN fix them and let them return to normal society as if nothing happened"

I just wanted to look at this again. Well chosen thread title, OFS.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I love Colloseum but XD was way better gameplay-wise. They turned shadow Pokemon from a pretty one-note gimmick to a genuinely interesting mechanic.

Game A being better then Game B does not neccesarily mean Game B is a bad game, so gently caress you colosseum ruled

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So when do you get the badge that lets you control the Nuclear Pokemons

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just a guess but I'm expecting it to be in the post-game. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DariusLikewise posted:

So when do you get the badge that lets you control the Nuclear Pokemons

Guessing 'never'.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dragonatrix posted:

Just a guess but I'm expecting it to be in the post-game. :v:

I expect it to be the reward from the final postgame superboss.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I sincerely hope it involves onion kid somehow.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wow Nuclear-type is a bad idea. I hope to god only Nuclear-types can learn Nuclear moves cause otherwise there would be no reason to use Nuclear-types, and no reason NOT to use anything but Nuclear moves.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's not really much reason to actually try to use most of the nuclear pokemon as it is, so them disobeying isn't much of a big deal

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EclecticTastes posted:

I eagerly await the scene where we meet a team of intrepid dungeon-crawling Pokemon except their last dungeon got bathed in radiation and now they're nuclear mutants, like, some Parasite Eve poo poo. Or a Pokemon photographer complaining that radiation ruined his film before hopping in his weird circular buggy and driving off.

It turns out that radiation poisoning causes the warrior transformation from Pokémon Conquest :haw:

(I think I'm the only person that remembers that game)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I wonder what the logic was behind making steel resist nuclear, but not rock.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I see the problem.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I wonder what the logic was behind making steel resist nuclear, but not rock.

Metal and concrete are the ket ingredients to power plants :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

It turns out that radiation poisoning causes the warrior transformation from Pokémon Conquest :haw:

(I think I'm the only person that remembers that game)

i like conquest, don't worry you aren't unique

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Real talk: Why does this game make you purchase False Swipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Why does Pokemon Uranium do anything? Because Pokemon Uranium.

• Locked thread