Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I'm going to miss this shows op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like to think its just the subterfuge she's against at this point, and if Tohru just asked she'd try some.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I feel fairly confident Kobayashi will try some by the end.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Kyoani still knocking it out of the part with original content. I don't recall Shouta ever really interacting with the rest of the cast in the manga so it's nice to see scenes like that.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

A VERY good dragon! It's all lit up like the Strip or something. Just missing the fountains.

Also, I quite enjoyed this fresh new take on the classic tale meant to teach us compassion for our fellow human beings, and also how magical girls played pivotal role in avenging Asano Naganori's unjust seppuku.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's a reference to a kind of hosed up idea of love/obsession where I think the highest way of "connecting" with someone is them eating you. Which might say something about Dragon culture or maybe she's a huge nerd for praying mantis?

But it being poisonous still makes it a little confusing though.

I think it is something a bit more "normal" for Tohru, while Kobayashi is probably thinking on our wavelength. I don't buy that it is specifically for Kobayashi cause in episode 8 for the sandwich scene, I am pretty sure Kanna has a serving too. The whole tail gag might just be a normal dragon family thing, cause Kanna doesn't seem to mind. This is reinforced by Tohru accusing Kobayashi of being a picky eater earlier instead of a lewd joke, which is more typical of the situation. Still, she does attach a lot of meaning to getting Kobayashi to eat the drat thing. I would wager it is closer to a wedding ring in meaning than any sort of fetish for Tohru.

Haven't read the damned manga though, so I know shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

At long last, a KyoAni show that ends with the female lead eating her wife's rear end

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

At long last, a KyoAni show that ends with the female lead eating her wife's rear end

But kissing is still a no go.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Annointed posted:

But kissing is still a no go.

Why is this a thing?

I know nothing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hypha posted:

Why is this a thing?

I know nothing.

The studio making this show likes making romances/relationships with lots of romantic tension where nobody kisses.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hypha posted:

Why is this a thing?

I know nothing.

IIRC, I think the director of this series said she feels like implying kissing but not showing it is her giving the characters privacy. Show is very pure for as many bouncing tity jokes as it has.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's fair. going out to the beach in a swimsuit is something you choose to show, compared to a couple sharing their first kiss alone in a room.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC, I think the director of this series said she feels like implying kissing but not showing it is her giving the characters privacy. Show is very pure for as many bouncing tity jokes as it has.

Okay, cutest reason I ever heard arguing to be satisfied just watching feet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

The show's director is a he, actually. Yasuhiro Takemoto, also known for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Amagi Brilliant Park, and Hyouka. You're probably thinking of Naoko Yamada, who directed K-On, A Silent Voice, and an episode of this...two weeks ago, I think?

But yeah, that characterizes a lot of their directors' mindsets reasonably well.

Hypha posted:

Okay, cutest reason I ever heard arguing to be satisfied just watching feet.

Yeah, lots of people (including Yamada herself) like to joke about her having a foot fetish because of her fondness of expressing characters' emotional states just through shots of their legs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

hoobajoo posted:

That's a pretty good in show reason. I can't think of any KyoAni show where there's ever been direct kissing. Maybe Kanon.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Elma can touch type now and I am very proud of her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really liked what this episode did with Elma. Hell, even Lucoa was funny more often than not IMO.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

- "This is the home of the good girl Kobayashi Kanna" pretty good thread title

- Episode confirms, Tohru has met literal Judeo-Christian God, does not particularly care for him.

- Fafnir refuses to bow to inferior humans even at the end of a play.

- Final shot of everyone with their loved ones: Tohru with Kobayashi, Kanna with Saikawa, Lucoa with Shota, Fafnir with Takiya, Elma with several meat buns.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kanna bats her tail like an angry cat

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Elma finally getting to indulge her gluttony was a good payoff

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Elma x Food is secretly the best couple in the show

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like the sort of relationship Fafnir and Lucoa have with Tohru. You can tell they are older, more role model like dragons to her just the same way she is to Kanna.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's a reference to a kind of hosed up idea of love/obsession where I think the highest way of "connecting" with someone is them eating you. Which might say something about Dragon culture or maybe she's a huge nerd for praying mantis?

But it being poisonous still makes it a little confusing though.

There's an urban legend in Japan about girls putting their own blood into the Valentines chocolates they give to boys they like, I think it's a play on that.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

elma gets bullied in this ep, so it's good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like the sort of relationship Fafnir and Lucoa have with Tohru. You can tell they are older, more role model like dragons to her just the same way she is to Kanna.

I like Elma being more of a friend for Kobayashi than having any relation to Tohru, since she already has Fafnir and Lucoa.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fangz posted:

It'll end on a cute, romantic note and then she'll just say she's still not going to eat the tail and completely kill the moment.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Holy poo poo even the grandmas want some Lucoa

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Kanna waiting for santa was the best.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This episode is the perfect Christmas episode and I am so happy with it. Not a single complaint, just happy dragons all the way down.

Also character development stuck! Kobayashi came to the play, no questions asked!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Funnily enough I do the exact same thing with my arms but when I'm focused on whatever I'm doing.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

StrixNebulosa posted:

This episode is the perfect Christmas episode and I am so happy with it. Not a single complaint, just happy dragons all the way down.

Also character development stuck! Kobayashi came to the play, no questions asked!

She even gave Tohru lots of headpats :3:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Holy poo poo even the grandmas want some Lucoa

Young or old, man or woman, gay or straight, everyone loves a good pair of honkers.

jellycat posted:

She even gave Tohru lots of headpats :3:

I noticed that! I think my favorite part of this series is how characters grow together without having too many big moments where they declare how they feel, it's mostly a natural thing we see subtly over time. So we don't get told they're in love, we feel it.

I kinda hope Kanna/Saikawa gets a little development soon, her infatuation gags are getting a bit stale I feel.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Best episode yet, gently caress.
Them working all those stories into the play, magical girl shouta-kun :eyepop:
How can a show be this good?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fafnir is the most underappreciated dragon and it cannot be understated as to how pro his script contributions were

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

el dorito posted:

fafnir is the most underappreciated dragon and it cannot be understated as to how pro his script contributions were

He was in top form today.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
That was absolutely a play I could have written with my friends in grade school. I love it. :allears:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

el dorito posted:

overstated. if something can't be understated it's as low as possible already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They should stop bullying my friend Elma so much, tempting as it may be.

• Locked thread