Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well that's the only thing that makes it good (for Goyf) so it's okay.

The early TSP/LOR standard decks that played Tarfire amongst other weird jank to buff up the goyfs was a good time. That we've come full circle into doing it again in Modern is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Triple Lorwyn is probably the greatest draft format of all time thanks to Tribal.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

And goyf growth.

Was tribal really a trainwreck? It still feels wrong to me that cards like goblin grenade and dragon fodder aren't of the goblin type. It's not as if any tribal cards have been broken let alone because of their type.

Lorwyn was a sweet set with a bunch of new, exciting, cool mechanics and planeswalkers. Then they released Morningtide which came with Bitterblossom, and it was bad. It was impossible not to figure out the deck so it's unclear how it ever happened, kind of like Jund a block later.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Entropic posted:

It seems like for the last little while the only expensive standard cards have been Mythics. I think the only Standard rare over $10 right now is Walking Ballista. Is that normally, or is there more reliance on mythics in standard decks right now than usual?
Seth wrote about "mythic creep" a year ago: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-changing-definition-of-mythic-rare

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Triple Lorwyn is probably the greatest draft format of all time thanks to Tribal.

Agreed. I loved LOR/LOR/MOR and 3xMOR as well. Just a great time to draft in general.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Lorwyn was a sweet set with a bunch of new, exciting, cool mechanics and planeswalkers. Then they released Morningtide which came with Bitterblossom, and it was bad. It was impossible not to figure out the deck so it's unclear how it ever happened, kind of like Jund a block later.

Bitterblossom wasn't that bad, its interaction with Mistbind Clique and SSS was strong and Fae was a very strong deck as a result, but it's not like it stifled the format or anything. There was a looooot of deck variety, though a bit less than before MOR launched.

Now I'm getting pangs of longing for Sonic Boom again goddammit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Not empty quoting.

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you haven't checked out fetch prices this morning, pretty glorious. Not standard printing glorious, but its going in the right direction.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Fetches better be $12-15.00 soon if the print run is as massive as they say. No reason they should be 20+

They really need to be on par with the Khans reprints when all is said and done

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Fetches better be $12-15.00 soon if the print run is as massive as they say. T

They really need to be on par with the Khans reprints

Even if this set printing is large, there is no way we are getting relief like we did for khans. Verdant and scalding tarns are maybe the most popular fetches ever. Hell counterfiets have maybe been the only thing keeping them to the price they were. Arid mesa, marsh flats, and misty might drop into the teens here in a few days. I wouldn't expect verdant and scalding to drop less than the high twenties even if supply is high due to speculators soaking them up.

Low on goblin guide is already around 15 bucks and falling.

As far as print run goes I am not getting my hopes up that its massive. I for sure don't think its mm1 level of poo poo but people speculating that its mm2 level or slightly higher might be about right. Being that this set is going to have a lot more demand than mm2 ever did this could end up drying up in 2 months.

Lily is also showing up for around 60 bucks. Lily of the loving v. Demand for her is probably at an all time low and I expect this to continue. Even the inn copies of her are falling.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why has Lili stopped showing up as much? Lack of non-DS Jund decks? I've seen a lot of Death Shadow lists running her as a one of and then 2-3 of the newer lili.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Why has Lili stopped showing up as much? Lack of non-DS Jund decks? I've seen a lot of Death Shadow lists running her as a one of and then 2-3 of the newer lili.

Traditional Jund/Junk is on the downswing. Death shadow jund won't run more than 2 copies. Infect and other decks that have a rough time with edict effects aren't all that in demand. I still think she is better than the last hope in almost all matchups but there is little reason for her to be the 2nd most expensive card in modern without demand.

Her card is also shown to be maybe the easiest card to counterfeit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

Her card is also shown to be maybe the easiest card to counterfeit.

How's that?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

New Lili is better against aggro and go-wide strategies. Go-wide decks are a weak spot for Death's Shadow since their whole gameplan is lose a bunch of life then attack with a vanilla 10/10. Chump blockers really mess up that plan.

Old Lili is better against control/midrange, but Death's Shadow can just rely on speed in those matchups. Also -2, get back a shadow while threatening to do it again is still fine against slower decks. Traditional Jund would rather have old lili because it's better at the attrition game where old lili just dominates. Traditional Jund is really bad right now though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

How's that?

gently caress if I know. Out of all the cards ever made it seems to be consistently the one that gets done without many flaws.

Still a little shocked cavern is in the 30's, but I guess it also has a lot of EDH and casual appeal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cavern is also an allstar in otherwise-budget modern decks like 5c humans.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

And almost always played as a complete set.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Also in Elves and Spirits

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Went through another update of my terrible azban scales deck.

http://deck.tk/91jd8Hwb

Added a land, removed some jank, and added 3x abzan charms.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so GP orlando is gonna be commented on by LSV, Marshall, and Cheon so if that's a preview of all the gp coverage under channel fireball it's looking up

too bad all these cool people are all gonna be talking over the same Copy cat vs Vehicles match-up ad infinium

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TwistedNails posted:

Also Slivers, you forgetful ingrates

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TwistedNails posted:

And of course, the best deck, Fish.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

mandatory lesbian posted:

so GP orlando is gonna be commented on by LSV, Marshall, and Cheon so if that's a preview of all the gp coverage under channel fireball it's looking up

too bad all these cool people are all gonna be talking over the same Copy cat vs Vehicles match-up ad infinium

Wait really? I assumed it was going to be Patrick and Cedric since it's an SCG event.

Also, it's a Sealed GP, so your matchup fears aren't really founded.

I'll be playing, look for me on stream*

(*I almost certainly will scrub out and get no where near the feature match area)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
CFB should find a way to poach Sullivan from SCG, I can't imagine they pay him all that much to begin with. LSV, Sullivan, Marshall would be a great team.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

St0rmD posted:

Wait really? I assumed it was going to be Patrick and Cedric since it's an SCG event.

Also, it's a Sealed GP, so your matchup fears aren't really founded.

I'll be playing, look for me on stream*

(*I almost certainly will scrub out and get no where near the feature match area)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/coverage-updates-and-february-rptq-decks-2017-03-16

this is where i found it, also glad to hear its not standard, i just assume everythings standard since usually you can get away with that

good luck!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

CFB should find a way to poach Sullivan from SCG, I can't imagine they pay him all that much to begin with. LSV, Sullivan, Marshall would be a great team.

He did do the mocs the other day, so obviously he has some flexibility in his contract. He is without a doubt the best commentator in magic right now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Reddit's foaming at the mouth over blue-control not being good and how Preordain or JTMS needs to be unbanned in Modern.

I was thinking that instead of just randomly unbanning poo poo, the easiest way to answer this is to just unban the cards on the MTGO beta and tell everyone (including pros) to have at it and report back. That way nobody gets surprised by an unban and if its broken, it obviously is broken and people stop bitching about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Reddit's foaming at the mouth over blue-control not being good and how Preordain or JTMS needs to be unbanned in Modern.

I was thinking that instead of just randomly unbanning poo poo, the easiest way to answer this is to just unban the cards on the MTGO beta and tell everyone (including pros) to have at it and report back. That way nobody gets surprised by an unban and if its broken, it obviously is broken and people stop bitching about it.

That would be a viable option if modo wasn't modo. I am sure just enabling these cards for modo requires 100's of man hours and testing.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Sickening posted:

That would be a viable option if modo wasn't modo. I am sure just enabling these cards for modo requires 100's of man hours and testing.

the cards are already in MODO, wouldn't they just have to add them to the legal in modern table or whatever?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

JTMS does not help blue control be good in the current meta. It's got other problems.

Also he's a huge poster boy for dumb-as-bricks price memory, since as far as I know he's only lightly played in Legacy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Unban Ponder instead because I actually have a playset of those (not that Preordain would be difficult to pick up)

Salvor_Hardin posted:

And of course, the best deck, Legacy Goblins

FTFY

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JTMS does not help blue control be good in the current meta. It's got other problems.

Also he's a huge poster boy for dumb-as-bricks price memory, since as far as I know he's only lightly played in Legacy.

Force and a low cost source of continuous removal/card advantage would go a long way towards control being a deck in Modern

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

They have a beta that operates on a mirrored server isn't even active like 75% of the time and where cards can be easily flagged as banned or unbanned while using the existing card list. It doesn't involve new cards or complicated programming because all of the cards on the Modern banned list already exist.

St0rmD posted:

the cards are already in MODO, wouldn't they just have to add them to the legal in modern table or whatever?

It's not even just a matter of affecting other decks because the beta server is an entirely different server than the live servers. Nobody would actually get some kind of advantage out of testing it that way and you'd get a ton of real world data on it. It also has the advantage of increasing transparency in the entire process rather than Aaron Forsythe randomly coming down on high and saying some card is unbanned. They don't need to do that for bans because people already play the cards. Unbanning is an inherently more difficult job because you have to speculate as to what is actually good.

I'm not disagreeing. The problem with JTMS is both one of price and the fact that the deck that wants Jace isn't a "draw-go" deck; it's an attrition deck like BGx that wants to win the game by untapping with Jace.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

If they unban Jace and he sticks, they'll reprint him. A lot of people love the card and want to play it, I think the format would be more interesting with him and BBE in it. Preordain, much like Ponder just does so much more for combo decks it is much worse for the format and should stay banned.

The complaint that the card is unfun to play against doesn't really hold up considering the type of decks and cards legal in the format already like Blood Moon and stuff like Lantern control.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hot take: Jace doesn't need Bloodbraid unbanned to be bad in modern.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jace being unbanned now would not change modern much if at all because he is too slow currently, but in the hypothetical future where the format gets slowed down by even a turn he would be a rampaging monster that would immediately need to be banned again. Unbanning him would be a terrible dumb idea and it needs to not happen.

Bloodbraid being unbanned would make Jund the extra super +1 best deck in the format again and that also needs to not happen. Bloodbraid Elf into K Command is something I never want to see.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 16, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please print Force so the format can maybe get slowed down a bit Wizards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That would be good but on the other hand there wouldn't be much left different from Legacy so I'm a bit torn.

Obviously that means we need a Wasteland reprint too :v:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 16, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

That would be good but on the other hand there wouldn't be much left different from Legacy so I'm a bit torn.

Obviously that means we need a Wasteland reprint too :v:

Cost of entry, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

Unban Ponder instead because I actually have a playset of those (not that Preordain would be difficult to pick up)

Reprint Portent instead, just to annoy people.

• Locked thread