Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

GlyphGryph posted:

Synths should also get a lot of their own hosed up alternatives to drugs and mind control lasers. Perfect thought monitoring and control opportunities when everyone is networked up for an empire unscrupulous enough to take advantage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RjP6_TV0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Personally I'd love to see it go in three distinct ways.

Psionics are ageless and hard to kill, but must follow the ways of the shroud to such gifts and can die even when you discover them. Of course, the things that can kill you at that point are very few indeed or require a very dedicated effort.

An alternative (or complimentary part) to this would be having a psychic gestalt, where upon death your leaders memories and experiences go, to be spread across the entire empire as a bonus to every psionic under your wing.

Genetics means your people are empowered. Smart, plentiful and long lived, death will be a blip to you as numerous others can be tailored to replace the fallen.

Because why work to stop death, when you can create abundant life?

Synthetics are ageless and hard to kill, as technology allows for backups and rebuilding their bodies, but this is costly and takes time. Still, beats negotiating with space heaven/hell for the right gifts and means you can keep a favored leader instead of just replacing them like genetics would.

Synths could also have some kind of Master Database on the homeworld that could be a "point of failure" (or a significant discount to rebuilding people) to this reconstruction, perhaps like the Resurrection ships in battlestar galatica, but that might be a step too far.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

The problem is it would require reworking which species are considered the same, as its based on name + portrait right now. This is in plans to do, but not time for it for Banks.

I did notice that the xenophobic human empire I made and which showed up in my next game, didn't seem to mind my morally vague human science directorate. And I could declare wars for their planets. Cool that it actually keeps track of that!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

The problem is it would require reworking which species are considered the same, as its based on name + portrait right now. This is in plans to do, but not time for it for Banks.
Maybe some kind of adjective system? Humans are all humans but you there's an additional property which species doesn't check that you can fill in with "desert" or "science".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wish I was good enough at the internet to make heads or tails out of Reddit. I like the dated layout of these dead gay forums much more, though I guess these days that is like preferring a phonograph to iTunes or whatever it is the kids use now

It has its pros and cons. I like old school forums like SA because conversations can go on for a while and threads make topics stick around longer. On Reddit people atomize entire communities because they want every topic to be its own separate forum, but here you can just make an extra thread and you don't have to migrate people over. A post here can be its own entire thread there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wish I was good enough at the internet to make heads or tails out of Reddit. I like the dated layout of these dead gay forums much more, though I guess these days that is like preferring a phonograph to iTunes or whatever it is the kids use now

It's really good at presenting an image or link, and 1-3 funny comments, and loving miserable at anything else.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Reddit's voting mechanics also have the effect of reducing dissent. Comments the community doesn't like get downvoted into oblivion and comments that meet approval soar to the top to be seen by more people who upvote it again, etc. and so on.

Which isn't a major problem until your Stormfront types come through and start upvoting all of the things you expect them to upvote.

Also SA bans pedophiles instead of giving them their own dedicated safe-spaces (insert Aatrek joke here).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, that first point is why I really don't like Reddit; it takes cliquey echo chamber to the extreme. Also everyone there, no matter the subreddit, gives me the impression that they're in highschool for some reason.

Anyway, I'll save the rest of the Reddit bashing for GBS. For anyone interested, here is the full transcript of the AMA Wiz held. But if you click it, I want you to promise me you'll only read the first post and nothing else there. You'll be doing yourself more of a favour than me.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I find other forums to have far lower standards of writing; on Reddit threads I normally feel like I'm wading through sludge when trying to read innumerable uninteresting posts. People seem to put a degree of thought into these dead gay forums.

One thing from the AMA that's been raised before but is worth discussing agaim is Wiz's response on FTL types. He plans to redesign them at some stage. Personally, I rarely play anything but warp since its speed buff, as everything else involves faff, even though wormholes are technically better. I find I can largely ignore whatever FTL type the AI is anyway, aside from irritating whack-a-hole to take down generators. Speed is fairly consistent across all types.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

I was not the original designer of Stellaris, that credit goes to Henrik Fåhreaus (who was Game Director of Stellaris before me), but from what I know there were actually two original competing visions: Stellaris as we know it know won out. Once the current vision was chosen it was there the whole way though.

Just makes me wonder what the path not taken was.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

drat now I wanna know what the other idea was now, too. Wiz, you know goons can keep a secret, you can tell us.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Another question prompted Wiz to link to the first dev diary where Doomdark is similarly circumspect:

quote:

When the decision to make a space game was finally made by the powers that be, I wrote two different design outlines, and the one that would eventually become Stellaris was chosen (no, I will not tell you what the other one was!)

It's... interesting how tight lipped they are about this from one director to another and after almost a year.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, when it comes to the different FTL types I can't help but agree that Stellaris just is not a game well-suited to them. Wormholes, for example, are a super nifty different approach, right up until you wind up fighting someone with them and see just how pointless your defense stations can be. Hyperdrive-only games, on the other hand, make said defense stations the most relevant of all...but it also makes space combat very predictable and negates any and all hopes of doing a close-range ambush from a different angle in a nearby system.

Right now, warp-only games are likely the only reasonably balanced, but also not very boring, thing. I guess hyperdrive-only games catch some other folks' fancy too, but I've seen those be way too easy on any defenders, who can just stack and prepare everything perfectly in that single access star system and turtle up there.

GunnerJ posted:

It's... interesting how tight lipped they are about this from one director to another and after almost a year.

I can't say I blame them. Any creative can tell you, that when they've gotten loose lips on something like this, the waves of: "Oh that would've been SO much better!" will never end, because a non-implemented idea always sounds cooler than something real (in spite of it likely running into its own set of problems upon having to be implemented).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 16, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember way back in the day them floating an idea to do more of a "CK2 in space". Emperor of the Fading suns type deal. Create a cool pre-set setting, pick one of many asymetrical factions, and start playing. Just like in all their previous games.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Crazycryodude posted:

drat now I wanna know what the other idea was now, too. Wiz, you know goons can keep a secret, you can tell us.

grand strategy rather than 4x maybe? i.e. you start established in a galaxy that's already mostly colonised, along the lines of EU etc.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ftl overhaul could be a good area for a future dlc pack maybe, maybe coupled with a reexamination of galactic topography.

GunnerJ posted:

the lizard-people division of the cia had a discussion with paradox

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

We might see it or at least parts of it one day, as a different game maybe.

But talking about what-ifs is kind of a bad idea because that would just make us wish they would rather make that game than what we got since it always sounds much better than the reality.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really just hope wiz has enough influence points or upper house support or what ever to gut the systems and things that aren't working no matter how many people whine "yeah I know that system wasn't working but it was cool don't get rid of it!!"
Be brutal, do what needs to be done if it will long-term improve the game or pave the way for other related systems to be massively improved. No sacred cows.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

I can't say I blame them. Any creative can tell you, that when they've gotten loose lips on something like this, the waves of: "Oh that would've been SO much better!" will never end, because a non-implemented idea always sounds cooler than something real (in spite of it likely running into its own set of problems upon having to be implemented).

Bholder posted:

We might see it or at least parts of it one day, as a different game maybe.

But talking about what-ifs is kind of a bad idea because that would just make us wish they would rather make that game than what we got since it always sounds much better than the reality.

This all makes sense. I had kinda figured that they might not want to talk to much about an idea they're still mulling over for a future product but I can see how everyone loving the imagined perfect hypothetical game in their heads would be an issue.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's odd how people oscillate between "We can ask Wiz gameplay questions" and "We can keep asking about upcoming unnanounced stuff and stuff they go out of their way to avoid talking about". I have a feeling one will be more fruitful than the other, good luck goons.

CrazyLoon posted:

Any creative can tell you

loving lol

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Rakthar posted:

It's odd how people oscillate between "We can ask Wiz gameplay questions" and "We can keep asking about upcoming unnanounced stuff and stuff they go out of their way to avoid talking about". I have a feeling one will be more fruitful than the other, good luck goons.

like one person actually asked him about that here and it was obviously a joke?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah if I had to bet, the tossed idea was CK or EU But In Space with a pre-built galaxy, etc. Still, though, now that my curiosity is piqued it will forever bother me.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I mean, guys he talked about the other vision in that very thread. He said basically it would have been a human-only galaxy with pre-created factions and such inspired in part by the Dune universe.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm finally looking through the artbook that came with Stellaris.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I... find it difficult to believe that those are authentic pieces of concept or even early game artwork. Or that Trinity would be giving me a priority transmission from a payphone.

I mean some of it is recognizable and looks like something the current game evolved from but the rest looks like a cheap Photoshop.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's actually pretty common to just grab a bunch of crap and photoshop it around a page when you haven't decided what you want the UI to even look like yet

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

First picture was what they actually were planning to use. Second picture is just a pitch from another studio.

edit: If I'm reading the text in the artbook right.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't have the art book to compare to but another studio submitting their own proof of concept would explain all the clutter and horrible bloom effect that makes it look like I smeared Vaseline in my eyes. It's like something that would've been released circa 2004.

edit: seriously, the more I look at that the more I can't believe how terrible it looks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The top bar in that first concept image reminds of Imperium Galactica kinda. I wonder how much influence that series had on Stellaris?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That first image at least is recognizably Stellaris, but from the mid 00's.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Second image reminds me of Limit Theory (I wonder what happened to that game).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, when it comes to the different FTL types I can't help but agree that Stellaris just is not a game well-suited to them. Wormholes, for example, are a super nifty different approach, right up until you wind up fighting someone with them and see just how pointless your defense stations can be. Hyperdrive-only games, on the other hand, make said defense stations the most relevant of all...but it also makes space combat very predictable and negates any and all hopes of doing a close-range ambush from a different angle in a nearby system.

Right now, warp-only games are likely the only reasonably balanced, but also not very boring, thing. I guess hyperdrive-only games catch some other folks' fancy too, but I've seen those be way too easy on any defenders, who can just stack and prepare everything perfectly in that single access star system and turtle up there.

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

4. End-game/ascendancy tech - [psi] jump drives

Thank you for reading my awful ideas.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/842312871807721474

GOTY?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Are they also resized so you don't have to scroll in the first place? Or perhaps a button that shows "100 x-class corvettes" instead of 100 individual x-class corvette buttons???????????

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope the scrollbars are wider as well, that would make the change even better.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Scrap the rest of 1.5 and I would still pay :10bux: for this alone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GotLag posted:

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

I, too, would prefer something like this.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think a little QA is needed on events. I just got Encroaching Scientists... for one of my vassals. Which I didn't realise when I chose to close borders, as the popup doesn't make it easy to work out who it is. As you can't open borders to a vassal if you somehow close them, I had to load an earlier save.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

I'd like to see hyperlanes and warp stay available as starting choices, they feel pretty equivalent (though I like hyperlanes better). I wouldn't mind being able to research the one that wasn't picked. Making wormholes a researchable would give a lot more scope for what wormholes could be since they wouldn't need to be balanced around being a starter choice anymore.

My vaguer ideal implementation would be for FTL choice to be more of a package deal, like in SotS. Get a few other starting techs/unique tech lines/ship layouts to balance/compliment their strengths/weaknesses, some of them unique that you can't research without first developing the matching drive. Same for starting weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Giggle Goose posted:

I mean, guys he talked about the other vision in that very thread. He said basically it would have been a human-only galaxy with pre-created factions and such inspired in part by the Dune universe.

You see?! That already sounds like tonnes better in my head!! /endDunefanboy

• Locked thread