Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I dont trust that they'll last the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I wish Azerbaijan Was still communist so the Baku GP would of never happened.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

F1 simply needs to purchase Taylor Swift and have her perform at every race problem solved

The best idea.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I'm fascinated by the implication that F1 should generate a significant chunk of its revenue by charging sanctioning fees so high that it's literally impossible to profitably host a race.

Congrats on making strawmen and knocking them down.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

daslog posted:

You're right, we really should take your argument based on a decade old internet meme more seriously :allears:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

You're right, we really should take your argument based on a decade old internet meme more seriously :allears:

It's got to be more than a decade old.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You're the man now Brawn

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

I dont trust that they'll last the distance.

They're fine, just make sure you change the sole for no reason.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

daslog posted:

It's got to be more than a decade old.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

You're the man now Brawn

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You're the man now Brawn

2017 thread title.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If I was your boss, I'd deny that PTO request so hard.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

you work weekends lol

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe, but you're not my boss. If I knew my boss was a humorless oval office, I wouldn't have written that.

I don't work weekends, you bloody American, you just live in a time warp.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I wish my boss was Ron Dennis and I could cater to his need for efficiencies and floor tiles that aren't cut.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Minto Took posted:

you work weekends lol

You only work weekends in the United bootstraps if you don't work 80 hour weeks you're a gay states of america.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I wish my boss was Ron Dennis and I could cater to his need for efficiencies and floor tiles that aren't cut.

That was a cool Google. The crazy fucker really ordered custom tiles so there would be no partial tiles.

Being that detail orientated and having absolutely no control over the most important single component in the car must have driven him crazy

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dentist toy box posted:

I wish Azerbaijan Was still communist so the Baku GP would of never happened.

The Hungarian GP happened.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

hehe, but you're not my boss. If I knew my boss was a humorless oval office, I wouldn't have written that.
cool bosses are hard to come by

quote:

I don't work weekends, you bloody American, you just live in a time warp.

*checks calendar*

long weekend, nevermind~

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know a cool boss I'd like to come by if you catch my drift ;)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I live in Melbourne and have 0 chance of having enough money to buy tickets ever ever. But, you know, have fun and all.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Only a couple of days ago there were still 4 day passes in the Schumacher stand for 300 bucks. On Ticketmaster, not eBay.

The Schumy stand is good for the money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P46Ep_XMHLI

You can't really see down the straight, the awesome stand on the corner is Prost and that's probably the best stand at the GP. It's expensive, like the new Riccardo stand.

You might be able to rock up and buy from a scalper.. but I've never done that and kinda don't want to.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I just go general admission on Friday, it's cheap enough, since it's my only sporting event thing I do for the year in most cases.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hrm, I just had a look

while

Saturday has the same price. If you want to watch the race at home on TV coz general admission isnt the best for that, then go on Sat and see quali for reals!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

When I went to Suzuka, you could sit anywhere you wanted with the exception of the stand on the start/finish straight on Friday. It was cool to get pictures of the cars. Nothing really happened up where I was sitting on race day except for a car catching fire. I think it was Jovalainen's poo poo Lotus.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Did you read your own post?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

daslog posted:

Specifically which part has he exaggerated to make his point, in a year when stalwarts like silverstone are/were at risk? Not to mention Germany and the others that have been on/off for years.

Like ask them why they can't hold the race and it's "because there's no profit because of the fees"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Brawn has spent recent weeks discussing outline ideas with F1 figures, and this week Liberty Media held a meeting with teams to inform them of its next steps.

And after years where change in F1 has been difficult because teams have been reluctant to do anything that could hurt their own form, Brawn is clear that the over-riding priority of anything that be brings to the table will be that it improves the show.

But he is clear that gimmicks – like elimination qualifying, double-points and DRS – are not the answer.

I just can't comprehend how anyone not named Bernie could be complaining about what we've seen from Liberty so far.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

McLaren explore Mercedes engine option after Honda problems

The Article posted:

McLaren have made an exploratory approach to Mercedes about engine supply in the wake of problems with partner Honda.

The move follows a dismal pre-season test programme for McLaren-Honda, in which the Japanese company's new engine was both unreliable and uncompetitive.

McLaren are said to be evaluating options in the event the relationship with Honda cannot be made to work.

Incredible. They're going to go back to Mercedes the year after Alonso retires and have the best car, Jenson is going to come out of sabbatical and win another WDC.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 16, 2017

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

NtotheTC posted:

Incredible. They're going to go back to Mercedes the year after Alonso retires and have the best car, Jenson is going to come out of sabbatical and win another WDC.

Post of the thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Building an engine that shakes itself to death has to be pretty dang close to a last straw.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The engine isn't shaking itself to death, it's just shaking everything around it to death.

it's also hella down on power.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

The engine isn't shaking itself to death, it's just shaking everything around it to death.

it's also hella down on power.

No, it's turned down very low because it can't be run at full tilt for any appreciable amount of time. It's not anywhere near as slow as the trap speeds indicated (unless by "slow" you mean "broken and thus stationary").

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

No, it's turned down very low because it can't be run at full tilt for any appreciable amount of time. It's not anywhere near as slow as the trap speeds indicated (unless by "slow" you mean "broken and thus stationary").

Well, with the amount of time it spent parked on the track. it's average track speed is probably in the double digits.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Remember this time last year Bernie pushed through that awful qualifier change haha

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

Specifically which part has he exaggerated to make his point, in a year when stalwarts like silverstone are/were at risk? Not to mention Germany and the others that have been on/off for years.

Like ask them why they can't hold the race and it's "because there's no profit because of the fees"

The part about Liberty should increase sanctioning fees. No one is making that argument. The post was specifically about Liberty, not the overall sport.

If you want to actually have a discussion on the topic (I don't know why anyone would because it's boring financial stuff) then someone should explain how Liberty will increase their revenues 10% per year, every year. 10% is actually a low Return for a multi-billion dollar investment, but it's a nice benchmark. Keep in mind that Liberty doesn't own the tracks, so the profit/loss that Silverstone or Germany makes has little impact to Liberty. The exception to that is when a race gets cancelled because the track can't afford the sanctioning fee. Bernie made more money when that happened by moving to the race to a corrupt dictatorship that would pay him top dollar to bring the race there.

Liberty can take less money and keep the races where they are and promote the sport. That's great for the fans and the tracks, but Liberty's revenue goes down, not up. They can sell the digital rights (another great thing for fans) but streaming over the internet isn't very lucrative, and it's certainly not going to justify the investment they made. That leaves TV rights. Liberty would need a substantial increase in TV rights fees of at least 12% annually just to justify their initial investment. Good luck getting that.

Or perhaps they don't care about making money and are willing to take losses forever for the good of the sport? At any rate, it's boring financial stuff, we are are all better of not posting about it. There are more important things to discuss, like the impact to aero of Alonso shaving his beard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

The part about Liberty should increase sanctioning fees. No one is making that argument.

And no one said you made that argument. What you DID say, and what you continued to say above, is that F1 SHOULD use sanctioning fees as a primary source of revenue. This is dumb, this is not done in other motorsport, and it's a huge reason why F1 is floundering in its traditional markets.

Is that more clear? The fact that you view lowering criminally high sanctioning fees as nothing more than lost revenue normalizes a strategy that never should've been used. It was purely done to make Bernie rich. It benefits no one else.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

And no one said you made that argument. What you DID say, and what you continued to say above, is that F1 SHOULD use sanctioning fees as a primary source of revenue. This is dumb, this is not done in other motorsport, and it's a huge reason why F1 is floundering in its traditional markets.

Is that more clear? The fact that you view lowering criminally high sanctioning fees as nothing more than lost revenue normalizes a strategy that never should've been used. It was purely done to make Bernie rich. It benefits no one else.

Can you quote the post where I stated that? I'm not finding it. Just the one line will do.

daslog fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NtotheTC posted:

My dreams for a Mclaren-Ferrari unholy alliance :britain::respek::italy: are once again dashed.

• Locked thread