Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Fojar38 posted:

This thread got 2k posts in a day. Did something happen?

Bioware died homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
10 hours of playtime, and there's also a set point in the SP where you can't continue past (seems to be first planet after the prologue).

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

10 hours of playtime, and there's also a set point in the SP where you can't continue past (seems to be first planet after the prologue).

Thank you goon sirs!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Some educated speculation about the Kett from datamining and achievement lists seems to be saying that they are essentially Darkspawn - modified species corrupted by the Archon. holy lol

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Berious posted:

So this 10 hour trial. Do they mean 10 hours of play time? Or do they mean once you first start playing in 10 hours actual time you're done?

I don't want to start until I can poopsock it if it's a 10 hours of real time countdown.

Unless you've preordered the game from Origin, you get locked out after you get to a certain part of the 2nd planet (You get to explore Habitat 7 - railroad; the Nexus - with almost nothing in it; and Eos).

With that out of the way here's my "I just poopsocked for 5 hours, here are my thoughts".

Ages posted:

Actually started enjoying the game once I got to Eos. Before that, your first trip to the Nexus is a dull slog with some funny npc faces spitting out forgettable dialogue. Hopefully the explorable planet is more indicative of the rest of the game, and you can either blow through or ignore the main story, because plowing your car into groups of bad guys is where the fun seems to be

I was trying real hard to be positive about the game before Eos, but once I got there... well...

For me, I found the combat wasn't hard but it was awkward and cludgy. Like the boost is really good, and the cover mechanic is... a decent cover mechanic, but I found that the two together just don't go.
I wound up boosting into chest high walls, or just fighting from rooves where I didn't have to care about cover.

On "Normal" enemy AI is pretty garbage, and the game compensates by giving you more stuff to kill. I call this the "DA2" effect. Party AI is also pretty bad.

Enemy type is basically ME3 all over again. It fits pretty well with the combat and AI ability.

The effects and abilities are cool, and the combo system is neat, but for me the guns feel like a wet fart. The sound design is pretty good though.

The writing doesn't get markedly better, but it doesn't really get markedly worse either so... that's a thing.

The Nomad is odd because it feels like something designed to make a large, empty place feel smaller and more filled.

The graphics aren't amazing, but they work well with their setting (in general). Human characters look like garbage almost universally (although Jamaican dad looks pretty neato). Non-human characters actually look pretty cool, the Salarians, Turians and Krogan all look the best IMHO.

Environment design is pretty good. The Tempest feels really well done, and the Nomad looks cool, but some of the environments look... garbage.

Is it worth full Origin price? No.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 16, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i originnaly thought bioware would get a 8/10, now i think theyre on the verge of getting a 7/10

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I think I'm finally going to play Jade Empire instead of buying this garbage.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mr President posted:

I think I'm finally going to play Jade Empire instead of buying this garbage.

I wouldn't describe it as garbage quite yet, but give it a few hours after release.

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i originnaly thought bioware would get a 8/10, now i think theyre on the verge of getting a 7/10

They'll get a 9/10 because all those review sites need review copies.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Schlesische posted:

Unless you've preordered the game from Origin, you get locked out after you get to a certain part of the 2nd planet (You get to explore Habitat 7 - railroad; the Nexus - with almost nothing in it; and Eos).

Wait wait, I asked about this and some fine gentleman said that wasn't the case. Are you sure?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Performance is weird with an i5 2500k / 1060 6gb on High w/ Ultra textures at 1080p. I can be locked at 60 fps in the middle of a shootout with a half dozen enemies but zooming in on someone's face in a cutscene can plunge me to 35 fps. Then again, no drivers so far and we don't know the performance impact of any of these settings so that can probably be touched up.

Prologue mission was decent enough, although because everything has been a "priority mission" so far I can't even save when I want for some reason.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Wouldn't you know it, when a project gets delayed multiple times, several high-profile people quit halfway through development, predatory super deluxe pre-orders are monetized, and gameplay videos are hidden from the public until the very last minute, it usually isn't because the studio has a great game on their hands that they just have to keep secret for fear of spoiling the fans.

I don't understand why they did this trial thing. I highly doubt that footage has made anyone decide to buy it, but it's made some people cancel their pre-orders or refund them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Yeah there sure are a lot of those across the entirety of the internet right now 🤣

Stop this please.
Stop going on crusades in threads to save people from video games and video gaming.

If anything, your claims of working for Nintendo in the Switch thread can be used as evidence that you'd be deliberately poisoning thoughts on Mass Effect. This kind of posting is not acceptable and comes across as slightly deranged. Please can you calm it down.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Hear is the official goon hive mind review for the GOTY.

Multiplayer : Good
Pubbies in Multiplayer : Bad
Goon Tears : Ugly

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How well does it handle kb/m? Any keys you can't remap?

You can't use tilde because that's the console, which comes pre-enabled. :shobon:

Clawtopsy posted:

thats actually a defense mechanism your body develops to keep the shitshow slightly out of focus

Sometimes even when you're not moving!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Played about 3 hours and the game is decent but nothing amazing. It lacks polish and I think it was rushed, it needed a couple more months of development time. This should get fixed with patches. Based on my short experience I would give this game an 8/10.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

I still have the gigantic poster with all the girls on it in my attic somewhere.

RA2 multiplayer was the greatest.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Wait wait, I asked about this and some fine gentleman said that wasn't the case. Are you sure?

I have physically reached that point and the game is like "woah there superstar, how would you like to buy the game from us? Not at that price? Well then why don't you go somewhere else that won't advance the storyline at all!".

If you want I can reload the game and take a screenshot.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Berious posted:

So this 10 hour trial. Do they mean 10 hours of play time? Or do they mean once you first start playing in 10 hours actual time you're done?

I don't want to start until I can poopsock it if it's a 10 hours of real time countdown.

Realtime prepare your Mountain Dew and Dorito reserves accordingly

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This thread acts like the sky is falling and that this might just be the worst game ever made, yet I'm not seeing a whole lot of reasons why you are feeling this way apart from "the animations are bad", which has been true for literally all bioware games, so..

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Would a Sharktank thread for ME:A be good? a place where funhavers can laugh at the game without the autistic bioware fans whining to the mods every time they dare to suggest the game isn't perfect?

I'd call it ME:A, Plan 9 from Andromeda

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

This thread acts like the sky is falling and that this might just be the worst game ever made, yet I'm not seeing a whole lot of reasons why you are feeling this way apart from "the animations are bad", which has been true for literally all bioware games, so..

It fails to match the RPG genre mastery of Spiderweb Software.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zzulu posted:

The writing is pretty flat so far too, which is a problem for Bioware.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It's not the typical Bioware game with decent/good writing. It's an EA game with solid gameplay and good sound and graphic design.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zzulu posted:

think about how mike would view these choices if they were in a movie, friend. use your rlm indulging brain

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gnome de plume posted:

"To whom"

loving hell. Yes we've all seen the show by now thank you.

Did 600 years in cryosleep give everyone nerve damage

And right the next sentence she confuses "fewer" with "lesser". I'm not sure if the whole conversation is meant as a joke played on herself or not.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Having played this game for an hour I can tell you the gifs people are posting are completely misleading and the animation and graphics in this game easily outclass anything Naughty Dog and Guerilla have ever done.

*gets handed fat stack of cash from Electronic Arts*

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Decius posted:

And right the next sentence she confuses "fewer" with "lesser". I'm not sure if the whole conversation is meant as a joke played on herself or not.

Good rule of thumb with what we've seen of this game?

Never attribute to cunning what you could simply chalk up to incompetence.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zzulu posted:

in the words of mike stoklasa, this game is ENDLESSSS TRAAAASSHHH friend

the animations are bad
the story is bad
the dialogue is bad
the ui is bad
the graphics are bad
the characters are walking exposition devices
the combat is "an average third-person shooter"

but the music is apparently good, and the multiplayer may be equivalent to ME3, warts and all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

Of course it's not going to be the worst thing ever with the amount of money that was thrown into this thing, but it's incredibly disappointing for fans of the Mass Effect series and sci-fi games in general that this thing appears to be kind of a hack job. It's better when games are good than when they're bad, and it's especially better when people don't throw their $60 pre-orders at a subpar quality product on brand recognition alone.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Some educated speculation about the Kett from datamining and achievement lists seems to be saying that they are essentially Darkspawn - modified species corrupted by the Archon. holy lol

Even the stuff from the launch trailer points to this

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Having played for a few hours, I agree with people pegging it at like an 8. It's not as bad as most are saying, the writing is exactly what I've come to expect from modern Bioware, and I find the moment to moment gameplay pretty alright. Honestly, having replayed ME1 recently, this feels a lot like that. It's a step back from ME2, but still one of the better sci-fi RPGs out there.

It's problem is that it's out in a crowded, super high quality field right now. So just wait until it goes on sale this summer unless you're a big Bioware fan - $40 in the summer is perfect for this game.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
"It's like an 8/10"

folks i am a teacher and an 8/10 tends to hover around the v v high b+/a line

this is not a b+/a

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Clawtopsy posted:

"It's like an 8/10"

folks i am a teacher and an 8/10 tends to hover around the v v high b+/a line

this is not a b+/a

They're using the IGN scale where even Colonial Marines got a 4.5.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

I'm down for space darkspawn.

When do we get the Architect and the space dragons? Can the next game be about the Grey Space Warden, Morrigan & singing Leliana on your spaceship?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

VanillaGorilla posted:

Having played for a few hours, I agree with people pegging it at like an 8. It's not as bad as most are saying, the writing is exactly what I've come to expect from modern Bioware, and I find the moment to moment gameplay pretty alright. Honestly, having replayed ME1 recently, this feels a lot like that. It's a step back from ME2, but still one of the better sci-fi RPGs out there.

It's problem is that it's out in a crowded, super high quality field right now. So just wait until it goes on sale this summer unless you're a big Bioware fan - $40 in the summer is perfect for this game.

Does it have the 80s SCI fi movie aesthetic the previous games did? How is the story?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Video Game review at around an 8/10 so translate that to a real life quality curve so it's a 3-6.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Milky Moor posted:

but the music is apparently good

they play fake star wars badguy music when the krogan shows up

it's hilariously shite

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mr President posted:

Does it have the 80s SCI fi movie aesthetic the previous games did? How is the story?

ME didn't have an 80's sci fi look at all tbh. It had synths here and there in the music, which you could find in some iconic 80's movies I guess????

I mean, look at Aliens for what "80's sci-fi" looks like and it's not really like Mass Effects

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

They're using the IGN scale where even Colonial Marines got a 4.5.

Nah, I meant an 8. It's pretty good - for me, anyway. I'm actually having more "fun" with it than I am with Nier, although I recognize that Nier does way more interesting things and deserves the praise it's getting.

It's still Mass Effect, and still popcorn big summer sci-fi level entertainment. I didn't really come to it expecting it to be thought provoking or to challenge my definition of gaming.

I'll also caveat this by saying that I really enjoyed DA:I, so I'm in the wheelhouse of people who still like what Bioware is selling.

There are other, way better games out right now if you have limited money, no argument. All I'm saying is that I'm having fun with it and it's probably catching more poo poo than it should, or even would if it was launching in 4 months instead of next door to Horizon and Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drink Dr Pepper actually
Oct 11, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

but the music is apparently good

Perhaps it's something on my end, but I haven't heard any music outside of combat or the big cutscenes. It's silent on the Nexus and Hyperion. Or it's very subtle? Not anything like the Wards music from ME1, anyway.

I'm finding the biggest drawback to be the amount of busywork when you finally get down on Eos. Like getting the Nomad. You have to do some tasks before a guy will tell you about it. Then you have to scan a box. Then you have to press a button to open the box but oops, you need a code for the box. Go run to this other building to get the code for the box. Then press the button again. Now you can have your car. There's nothing cool about the presentation either, you might as well have just had it sitting there surrounded by enemies.

All of the tasks on Eos feel like this, where it takes five extra steps to do something that sounds pretty simple, it's very weird. Also, while Sudoku's ok, I really hope that minigame doesn't pop up as often as the ones in ME2.