Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

This Russian wizard looking dude spent years alone in a room solving one of the most aggressively attacked problems in math, did it, and a couple of Chinese professors immediately make a shoddy knockoff of it and are very proud of what they've done.

The article is like "Oh the proof is very short and many statements are heavily compressed" but that's exactly what's valued in a proof. You don't make it better by stringing it out and explaining it to people.

Don't forget that the main argument from the shoddy knockoff was also copied from another paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Jeez Haier, you better film Chinese people playing Tokyo bus driver, it could be the next best thing. gently caress that game was hard.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Small "oh hey, Taiwan" moment: my boss just walked around handing out cookies. "From Japan!" she smiled. "Everything from Japan is good."

Not seeing what the issue is here

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Not seeing what the issue is here

Just that Haier talks a lot about seemingly everyone he meets hating Japan irrationally

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

But Haier lives in the PRC, where most people do hate Japan irrationally? I don't see what Taiwan has to do with anything.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Disturbingly, the people I met in the Maoist Peoples Republic of China said they liked Anime.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Korean students loved anime and all wanted to grow up to be animators (haha, jokes on them). The adults would all get drunk and say things like, "Maybe the United States didn't nuke Japan enough times."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The kids like Japan for the most part, they reserve their real hate for Koreans and Hong Kong and Vietnam and Indians and Uighurs and Tibetans and

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Take six parts Every lame Chinese "vast ancient army at war" trope,
A very generous heaping of "300" slow-mo fight scenes,
A pinch of Prince of Persia,
Five dashes of Hindu story telling,
Probably a couple bits of the Lion King,
A scoop of wery saxy girl wearing South Indian style dhoti and fighting so strongly,
Finally, one sequel,

And you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD-6d8Wo3do

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

The kids like Japan for the most part, they reserve their real hate for Koreans and Hong Kong and Vietnam and Indians and Uighurs and Tibetans and
The Ren Ren Le I go to is still playing K-Pop over the speakers. Will they get closed down soon? Plz help, that's where I buy my doufu. I don't want to lose them just yet. I have 4-5 months left here before I can claim refugee status and flee with my gaming PC and empty box of condoms.

Pirate Radar posted:

Just that Haier talks a lot about seemingly everyone he meets hating Japan irrationally
J---n will always be the big bad boogey man that the government can blame for all the poor farmers and bad things in China. Recently they celebrated with huge pomp the defeat of Japan 70 years ago, and their single-handed strength why WW2 in the Pacific Theater came to a close once they got rid of those dastardly Japs. The government would crumble if people stopped hating Japan. They honestly have nothing else that's not 5000 years old to claim as their current achievement. "Look what we did (no, not us directly). We beat up the Japanese and now you all have modern China, but we're so ashamed that it even happened in the first place because do u kno that China was always united as one coutnry for 5000 years?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

But Haier lives in the PRC, where most people do hate Japan irrationally? I don't see what Taiwan has to do with anything.

Yeah no sorry obviously I'm being incoherent: pointing out differences between Taiwan and China.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Taiwan honestly got the best deal out of the Japanese empire's expansionist poo poo. It was still lovely imperialism and all but Taiwan was by most metrics the most successfully colony in the history of colonialism, and there's plenty of Taiwanese who look back on it with a level of fondness even, in my experience. Don't know if you've felt otherwise but it's been a common sentiment in the Taiwanese people I've met.

There was also a solid couple of generations in the 50 years or so of Japanese colonization where a lot of Taiwanese people grew up as basically Japanese citizens.

Plus they were established as a colony before Japan reeeeally went off the deep end with killing and raping the gently caress out of people when discipline started failing.

Completely different experience from mainland China.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/business/china-kfc-taco-bell.html

quote:

Yum dropped fajitas because focus groups said Chinese people did not like the “peppery type of spiciness that Westerners like,” said Jimmy Chen, senior director of Yum China’s brand development division. Chinese consumers wanted warm cheese on their tacos, not the cold grated variety offered in the United States. They asked for alcohol to be offered.
"I only accept the pepper if it has zero flavor and numbs the mouth!!!"

quote:

The bean burrito was “controversial,” Mr. Chen said; while some Chinese who had studied abroad considered it a must, others found two types of starches layered on top of one another unfamiliar. Ultimately the bean burrito was booted.
*Makes disgusting sugary bean-based garbage and disregards beans as a savory in all ways*
"WAH, BEAN BURRITO SO WEIRD, WHAT THE FACK?"
*Eats red bean paste baozi, which are two types of starches layered on top of each other*

I'm the photo of couple drinking margarita things while the guy disregards her to silently play with his phone like a real Chinese guy does on a date.

Haier fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 16, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since I learned a while ago that Chinese invented pizza, this 5000-year-old photo from ancient heavenly kingdom explains the fact very well:

EDIT: Cold drinks and pizza?!!!!??? I think this photo is a forgery, maybe only 3000 years old, not 50000.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

“But Mexico itself is a developing country, and so many Chinese people would wonder why they would have to try Mexican food.”

lol jesus christ can anyone in this country think of anything other than money?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grand Fromage posted:

“But Mexico itself is a developing country, and so many Chinese people would wonder why they would have to try Mexican food.”

I wonder if a Chinese was introduced to a non-white country that was more "developed" than their China, would their head explode?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

I wonder if a Chinese was introduced to a non-white country that was more "developed" than their China, would their head explode?

Last time that happened they still wont buy the cars they make.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haier posted:

disregard hunan spiciness, acquire sichuan spiciness

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Haier posted:

Since I learned a while ago that Chinese invented pizza, this 5000-year-old photo from ancient heavenly kingdom explains the fact very well:

EDIT: Cold drinks and pizza?!!!!??? I think this photo is a forgery, maybe only 3000 years old, not 50000.

Obviously a forgery, they aren't using knives and forks with a confused look on their face.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you would like the saddest pizza on earth, please feel free to order Pizza Hut china's Chicago deep dish.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Barudak posted:

If you would like the saddest pizza on earth, please feel free to order Pizza Hut china's Chicago deep dish.

Nah, this is the saddest pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You lucky soul. The Chicago Deep dish is inch thick bread with no sauce and only enough cheese and topings to cover the center so each alice has a vast desert of flavorless bread ending at a wet floppy crust.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

You lucky soul. The Chicago Deep dish is inch thick bread with no sauce and only enough cheese and topings to cover the center so each alice has a vast desert of flavorless bread ending at a wet floppy crust.

You must be referring to Pizza Hut China, of course. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

UltraRed posted:

You must be referring to Pizza Hut China, of course. :colbert:

Of course, actual deep dish is amazing, but when eating it now I sometimes have flashbacks to the one in China, looking as though an emaciated pizza prisoner of war.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

Last time that happened they still wont buy the cars they make.

They'll make really close copies though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Haier posted:

All the red is good for hiding sauce stains, so I approve.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

china again try to steal rightful korea invention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLA6Bk_ivs

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Guy on the left

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

lol i love you being here in china and in the china threads with the little star next to your name, because in like late 2013 to 2014 i went through a phase where in china threads on SA I would say something like "i really don't trust the construction workers in my complex to do a good job" and everyone was like "this is very racist, what is wrong with you" and now its like 3.5 years later and we can just say poo poo like "lol can anyone in this country think of something other than money?" and everyone is like "this is a good post, agreed"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The Great Autismo! posted:

lol i love you being here in china and in the china threads with the little star next to your name, because in like late 2013 to 2014 i went through a phase where in china threads on SA I would say something like "i really don't trust the construction workers in my complex to do a good job" and everyone was like "this is very racist, what is wrong with you" and now its like 3.5 years later and we can just say poo poo like "lol can anyone in this country think of something other than money?" and everyone is like "this is a good post, agreed"

this is a bad post, disagree

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I have always had your back on this bud, in case u have forgotten ~~

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think we have well established China.jpg's 5000 pages of history, and our autonomy should not be interfered with by outside mods.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dang, I was wondering why there weren't any Mexican restaurants in the US. Thanks for clearing that up for me tiger!

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Stringent posted:

Dang, I was wondering why there weren't any Mexican restaurants in the US. Thanks for clearing that up for me tiger!

Ok this is a bad post

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Haier posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/business/china-kfc-taco-bell.html

*Makes disgusting sugary bean-based garbage and disregards beans as a savory in all ways*
"WAH, BEAN BURRITO SO WEIRD, WHAT THE FACK?"
*Eats red bean paste baozi, which are two types of starches layered on top of each other*

I'm the photo of couple drinking margarita things while the guy disregards her to silently play with his phone like a real Chinese guy does on a date.
Cold grated cheese legit poo poo though, no idea why the gently caress they do that.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The peak of the moderation was when a certain word relating to people of agrarian back grounds would have difficulty with city life, was labeled as racist.

I noticed haier just uses the word hillbilly these days

Same with using a contraction of north koreans.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Imperialist Dog posted:

Ok this is a bad post

:smug:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

like this small boy, there are few moments I don't worry about reimann zeta fuctions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Modest Mao posted:

like this small boy, there are few moments I don't worry about reimann zeta fuctions

I instinctively hate every one of your posts, out of gut reaction, because of your avatar, even when they're good.

• Locked thread