Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Has Videogames played the early access trial and posted any opinion yet.

I'll be honest I went in with real low expectations and I've enjoyed it more than 3 on first take but I was expecting it to be real bad.

Its not great at all and has lots of flaws. Writings pretty much Bioware writing but to a point where its a parody of itself and the animations etc are pretty bad but :shrug:

I do think they should have taken a dermatologist with them on the initiative though, there skin seems to be real bad and oily all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Was Horizon really good? It looked poo poo in previews

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zzulu posted:

Was Horizon really good? It looked poo poo in previews

That one vid got tossed around a lot but having played/beat it its my personal GOTY so far, love everything about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently data miners have found some if not all of the romance options:

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/5zpev0/mea_spoilers_romance_options/

Ones found in the code (or otherwise officially known) are:

Straight male Ryder - Cora, Peebee, Vetra, 1 unknown female
Straight female Ryder - Liam, Jaal, 1 unknown male, Reyes (fling)
Gay male Ryder - Gil, Jaal, 1 unknown male, Reyes (fling)
Lesbian female Ryder - Suvi, Peebee, Vetra

gently caress yes Jaal, my bro Ryder's gonna be flappin' cats like nobody's business :getin:
Hmph. Still not gonna assbang dat squid unless his personality is, like, off-the charts amazing. :colbert: And what are the chances of that, really.

I also feel like everyone's gonna bang squid and no one's going to pay any attention to Gil, which just doesn't seem right. He definitely deserves my pity bang.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you get to bang stuff in Horizon??

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr President posted:

Does it have the 80s SCI fi movie aesthetic the previous games did? How is the story?

The story is pretty much exactly the plot of ME1 (sans Saren, so far) with rock-men in place of robots: "The Kett are harassing human colonists and hogging all the sweet ancient artifacts, go get 'em." The game doesn't do itself any favors in the characters department, it throws like 20 plot-relevant characters at you in the first two hours and I don't like or care about any of them except the Nakmor family and Vetra. When I look back at it the lack of facial movement must REALLY makes the human characters hard to like or empathize with, the only human I emotionally connected with was Dad Ryder and, not coincidentally, his face is fully animated and look great compared to the glassy-eyed stroke victims that are his children and coworkers. The only other human I even remotely liked was Cora, and that's solely because a) we're vanguard buddies and b) she calls you out for getting the job via nepotism, even if it is very pro-forma and dropped almost immediately.

Overall the game feels like Mass Effect fanfiction, which I guess based on the high employee turnover is... actually pretty appropriate? There isn't anything horrifically wrong with it, it's just very mediocre and safe.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 16, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

Do you get to bang stuff in Horizon??

No, and the game is much better for it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Having played through the vault on Eos, I can at least say that the combat works a lot better in tighter quarters.

The bioware pudding face and jank are strong, writing is wobbly in places and everyone has botox zombie eyes. Lip sync is better than I expected though, I think the gameplay preview twitch streams they showed had some audio lag going on.

On the whole though, it's about what i expected so far, fun but not "omg holy poo poo".

If you absolutely have to play, try and get it reduced.
If not, wait till it's on sale.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't believe this krogan's voice... actress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oczO2SvRy0o

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JBP posted:

Video Game review at around an 8/10 so translate that to a real life quality curve so it's a 3-6.

Metacritic turns "yellow for average" for video games at 7 and for movies at 6 so score inflation is legit an accepted part of the game review business.

I'm sure ME Andromeda has some good parts... somewhere. It's coming out at a really bad time though, because Horizon does pretty sci-fi much better, Zelda does open world much better, Nier Automata does innovation, raw gameplay and story much better than many of their peers have done in recent years.

When you come out with this much of a whimper next to Zelda (which is a blockbuster by all definitions), Horizon (Sony's big budget flagship and the biggest direct comparison ME of the last three major releases, for my money) and NieR: Automata (highly anticipated followup for a highly loved niche title), you haven't got much going on. All three of those games have their own jankiness in either mechanics, animations, tech performance or a combo of the three too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

exquisite tea posted:

No, and the game is much better for it.

sigh

*sounds the huge horn of lame*

LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
im sure ill play this game and enjoy it but i wont like it!!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Personally I don't really get Horizon but I guess its not for me? My Wife bought it and loved it for 3 days before Zelda hit, and I picked it up assuming there was something I was missing as the scores were great even though it looked bad to me and I still found it kinda bad? Didn't like the systems or world etc. Could admit it was really well made but just wasn't having fun playing it. Different Strokes and all that I guess.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Milky Moor posted:

but the music is apparently good, and the multiplayer may be equivalent to ME3, warts and all

This is literally all I need.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Blackfyre posted:

Has Videogames played the early access trial and posted any opinion yet.

I'll be honest I went in with real low expectations and I've enjoyed it more than 3 on first take but I was expecting it to be real bad.

Its not great at all and has lots of flaws. Writings pretty much Bioware writing but to a point where its a parody of itself and the animations etc are pretty bad but :shrug:

I do think they should have taken a dermatologist with them on the initiative though, there skin seems to be real bad and oily all the time.

I have not. I don't have any early access accesses.
I am excited to play it, however. The really weird animations make me giggle and like I said in a different thread, it's causing me to feel its a B-Movie Space Opera from the 50s with wobbly sets. I'm excited to play it as that.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Is there a discord for multiplayer grouping?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

VideoGames posted:

I have not. I don't have any early access accesses.
I am excited to play it, however. The really weird animations make me giggle and like I said in a different thread, it's causing me to feel its a B-Movie Space Opera from the 50s with wobbly sets. I'm excited to play it as that.

For what its worth I have found the bad bits of the animation more amusing than offputting so far.

Also one thing I really like is the jump jet, just love dashing all over the place in combat. Maybe I shouldn't be but I enjoyed it more than hugging walls.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
horizon gave me super dumb farcry primal vibes with sci fi prehistoric cavemen fighting robot dinosaurs but the story opens up in genuinly interesting ways which also mirrors aloy opening up to the world outside her borders and u realise u actually are caring about a video game characters story

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Blackfyre posted:

For what its worth I have found the bad bits of the animation more amusing than offputting so far.

Also one thing I really like is the jump jet, just love dashing all over the place in combat. Maybe I shouldn't be but I enjoyed it more than hugging walls.

Ohhh I am so excited!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I went into Horizons in a very bad mood and spent like the first 2 hours hating on it, but it actually turns into a pretty drat good game.

Very good combat and boss gameplay, a suprisingly dark story that takes some good turns (then some bad ones towards the end as it all gets a little ridiculous) the only really bad thing about it apart from the by-the-numbers intro would be the abysmal climbing and swimming.

I was kinda sad you didn't get to bang anyone though, I wonder if its because being a female protagonist banging dudes would be icky?
I guess Aloy never had the birds and the bees conversation with her dad but she should have been crushing it. That sun king woulda got it and stealing Nathan Stewart-Jarrett's face for an NPC and then not letting you bang him is a dick move.

I kinda wanted to play Aloy like a female Geralt I guess. It seemed like she genuinely didn't know what sex is which made her uncomfortably childlike imo.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

When you come out with this much of a whimper next to Zelda (which is a blockbuster by all definitions), Horizon (Sony's big budget flagship and the biggest direct comparison ME of the last three major releases, for my money) and NieR: Automata (highly anticipated followup for a highly loved niche title), you haven't got much going on. All three of those games have their own jankiness in either mechanics, animations, tech performance or a combo of the three too.

Unlike Zelda or Horizon, MEA is not a console exclusive.
I don't think NIER is a direct competitor what with it's Japanese-ness.

I'm not saying MEA is a better game. I'm just saying that it's going to be a very different game, particularly to Zelda and NIER. It's probably also going to be super different to Horizon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Blackfyre posted:

Personally I don't really get Horizon but I guess its not for me? My Wife bought it and loved it for 3 days before Zelda hit, and I picked it up assuming there was something I was missing as the scores were great even though it looked bad to me and I still found it kinda bad? Didn't like the systems or world etc. Could admit it was really well made but just wasn't having fun playing it. Different Strokes and all that I guess.

I love Horizon for all the reasons I loved the original Mass Effect series. It tells an involving and well-paced sci-fi story in a striking environment with characters you care about, in a genuine way that doesn't have to be couched in "I'm only enjoying this ironically" or "all I care about is the multiplayer."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

VanillaGorilla posted:

Having played for a few hours, I agree with people pegging it at like an 8. It's not as bad as most are saying, the writing is exactly what I've come to expect from modern Bioware, and I find the moment to moment gameplay pretty alright. Honestly, having replayed ME1 recently, this feels a lot like that. It's a step back from ME2, but still one of the better sci-fi RPGs out there.

It's problem is that it's out in a crowded, super high quality field right now. So just wait until it goes on sale this summer unless you're a big Bioware fan - $40 in the summer is perfect for this game.

how is it an 8 when 5 means average

8 is like great

drink Dr Pepper actually posted:

Perhaps it's something on my end, but I haven't heard any music outside of combat or the big cutscenes. It's silent on the Nexus and Hyperion. Or it's very subtle? Not anything like the Wards music from ME1, anyway.

I'm finding the biggest drawback to be the amount of busywork when you finally get down on Eos. Like getting the Nomad. You have to do some tasks before a guy will tell you about it. Then you have to scan a box. Then you have to press a button to open the box but oops, you need a code for the box. Go run to this other building to get the code for the box. Then press the button again. Now you can have your car. There's nothing cool about the presentation either, you might as well have just had it sitting there surrounded by enemies.

All of the tasks on Eos feel like this, where it takes five extra steps to do something that sounds pretty simple, it's very weird. Also, while Sudoku's ok, I really hope that minigame doesn't pop up as often as the ones in ME2.

the best part of the sudoku is if you gently caress up it spawns enemies

over and over again until you get it right

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope Ryder packed some Andromegel.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nier is amazing by the way, I haven't sunk more than a few hours into Zelda but Nier is my favourite of the big awesome games coming out this month and possibly in the running for my favourite game ever??

I do sorta just blank out the upskirt stuff though so YMMV

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Unlike Zelda or Horizon, MEA is not a console exclusive.
I don't think NIER is a direct competitor what with it's Japanese-ness.

Eh, it comes out in the same window. Most people don't feel like coughing up the money for every game that comes out in quick succession, so by virtue of "can I afford this?", it's a competitor. I mean, don't get me wrong, Mass Effect is probably doing the lifetime worldwide sales of NieR 2 in its opening week, but on a strictly quality level, based on everything we've seen so far from ME:A, NieR's probably a much better game.

I mean, for clarity's sake, I should probably say that I'd be interested in playing Zelda if I had a Wii U or if the Switch wasn't super expensive for the return of investment, I've no interest in Horizon at all, I think NieR: Automata is wonderful and everything about ME:A has turned me off it after being real into 1-3. It's not like I just want to bag on this alone.

Blackfyre posted:

I legitimately think that if they saw what this was turning out like in terms of acting and animations and decided to say "Let's not make Mass Effect, let's make Garth Marenghi's Darkspace" and just run with it to make this game funny, it'd be a smash hit.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

I love Horizon for all the reasons I loved the original Mass Effect series. It tells an involving and well-paced sci-fi story in a striking environment with characters you care about, in a genuine way that doesn't have to be couched in "I'm only enjoying this ironically" or "all I care about is the multiplayer."

This is the biggest thing I don't understand.

Okay, sure, there are the Bioware fans who'd buy anything that had MASS EFFECT or DRAGON AGE on the front cover.

But the people who are saying things like "Well, I enjoy it because it's really bad!" or "All I want is the [no dedicated server] multiplayer!" Y'know, like they're forgetting what's happened to pretty much every game that's done peer-to-peer multiplayer.

The game looks, feels and sounds like someone's "spiritual successor" to Mass Effect... only it's by the company who made it.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
I've got to wait until I get home to play AHHH, got to download it too

How big is the download?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pruney posted:

How big is the download?

18GB or so before playable.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

how is it an 8 when 5 means average

8 is like great

Yeah, and I think the game is well above average. I'm not saying you have to, that's the wonder of opinions. There are plenty of people who seem to really enjoy Wildlands, for example, while I think that game is a stinky turd because I don't really play co-op.

Also I'm not sure the idea of objective review scales is the hill we want to climb here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pruney posted:

How big is the download?

fifty gigabutts

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What do you mean you like this game? But I didn't like it???

????

IM SO CONFUSED WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

???

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Horizon sounds really cool but not cool enough to buy a PS4 for. I hope it comes too PS Now or something

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

P2P multiplayer is bad compared to proper servers but I don't think its fair to say "every P2P multiplayer game has gone to poo poo!!", ME3 was a success, and more recently games like For Honor have made strong sales figures in spite of P2P multiplayer *in a multiplayer focused game*

Like yes I wish ME:A multiplayer was server based but tbh its not been a deathsentence for multiplayer for quite a while, unless you have the misfortune to live in a country where most people don't play vidya games and so are forced to play with people thousands of kilometers away.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So this game is looking to be a turd and I'm not gonna buy it, but the Monster Factory we'll eventually get is gonna be majestic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nopantsjack posted:

Nier is amazing by the way, I haven't sunk more than a few hours into Zelda but Nier is my favourite of the big awesome games coming out this month and possibly in the running for my favourite game ever??

I do sorta just blank out the upskirt stuff though so YMMV

Yeah I'm just waiting until I can download it via Steam. Everything looks good and I could use a game which is actually a game first instead of bad fanfic with button prompts.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I saw a video of Nier and it was some anime characters running around with oversized weapons and then I mentally tuned out and died

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zzulu posted:

I saw a video of Nier and it was some anime characters running around with oversized weapons and then I mentally tuned out and died

the games real good unlike this fuckin' turd, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zzulu posted:

F