Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

HELLS YEA GOTY! Goddamn those scrollbars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GotLag posted:

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

4. End-game/ascendancy tech - [psi] jump drives

Thank you for reading my awful ideas.

TBH, I might seriously get around to modding something like this one day, even if it would likely be a bitch to implement. But if so, I'll be sure to credit you for the initial thought, goon sir.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 16, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

Oh man it is the most fun when you manage to snag jump drives before anyone and it's like playing "catch me if you can, suckers!" when you're attacking someone, jumping 15 lanes away at the last second, etc. Unfortunately they will catch up because it takes longer to get from the middle of the system to the edge than to hyperlane from 5 systems over.

I like your idea but I'd kinds rather start with hyperdrive and have warp and wormholes be rare sidegrades for flexibility. Actually this wouldn't be the toughest thing to mod...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would like to combime that with my idea from before - start with hyperlanes only but use that to break the map into discrete sectors you can reach early game, and also provide a few isolated planets that open up for you to explore even within your own empire later in the game when you get one of the other two.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

I like this idea.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New dev diary about music
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-65-music-from-utopia.1005704/

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Not surprised they had to seperate record the brass lol...yea, they can be terribly imposing.

Also, Mercedes Romero, nevah forget! :swoon:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

CrazyLoon posted:

TBH, I might seriously get around to modding something like this one day, even if it would likely be a bitch to implement. But if so, I'll be sure to credit you for the initial thought, goon sir.

It's not my idea, it's basically the Honorverse model: a network for near-instant long-distance travel between a relatively small number of 'nexus' systems, combined with slower FTL (i.e. days, weeks) to other stars:

I'd want many more hyper lanes than that, maybe directly connecting 10-20% of systems and jumping over the ones between.

To expand on this concept, you could have fallen empires alter the hyper landscape, with every system within their territories connected via hyper lanes. You could also alter their networks according to personality, with isolationists having no lane connections to the galaxy at large, while observers have several very long-range connections allowing them to rapidly traverse the galaxy.

Edit: Perhaps have hyper lanes available from the beginning, but they only show up on the map once you've fully-surveyed at least one end?

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 16, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Not surprised they had to seperate record the brass lol...yea, they can be terribly imposing.

Also, Mercedes Romero, nevah forget! :swoon:

idk who Mercedes Romero is but this music kicks rear end.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Basically, she was the first scientist to spawn during Wiz's original Blorg livestream and yea...this happened to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHprYwAjnE

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Didn't she tragically die just before the Blorg reached Sol?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I keep saying it every time he gets mentioned, but Andreas Waldetoft is seriously the best game composer in the business. I was so glad when Paradox officially hired him on.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I will use the new music player to listen to The Final Countdown on a loop for as long as Im playing the game. It will save me having to tab out to fiddle with VLC Player.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

My vaguer ideal implementation would be for FTL choice to be more of a package deal, like in SotS. Get a few other starting techs/unique tech lines/ship layouts to balance/compliment their strengths/weaknesses, some of them unique that you can't research without first developing the matching drive. Same for starting weapons.

I like both ideas for upgrading the FTL model, but I'd like to build on this one for a bit. Limiting balance to FTL speeds makes it much harder to design around them. What I'd like is some kind of technology preference creator ran in parallel with the race creator, that gave you a number of points you could spend on the technology types that race is good at. This would include FTL types, but also combat speed, armour vs shield preference, and of course weapon types. Bonuses to research in those classes give you more of a sense of what a given race was likely to field, while not locking you out of customisation if you wanted to go off technological piste.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I like the more Vangelis and 80's type music but Towards Utopia seems to be a take on Jerry Goldsmith and that's absolutely fine.

More games should have a music player, but Stellaris deserves it more than most.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I am irrationally happy for this expansion since it seems to be adding a lot more to Stellaris than the typical Paradox expansions do for other games. Hopefully Paradox sticks to this bigger bang for the buck model.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also they may not be outright fixing or re-doing war/peace treaties in this DLC but they've added some techs that let you take more planets in wars which will be a huuuuge help. I'm ok dealing with a pain in the rear end unfun war if I can actually take a good chunk of that 50 planet empire. The 2-3 max planets per war throughout the entire game with no scaling was awful.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

The 2-3 max planets per war throughout the entire game with no scaling was awful.

There was also something really weird with fallen empires where you could take more like 10 planets.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Lower Warscore mod helps a lot.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

I'd be interested to see how the game works balanced around wormholes being a hugely expensive occasional expenditure (like hundreds of energy for each ship doing one jump) such that you could only use them once or twice per war, the idea being to launch crazy desperation runs with your whole fleet to blow up the otherwise far superior empire's homeworld to win. Having your ships find their own way back from the middle of enemy territory kind of makes wormhole jumps a gamble in this way, except the lack of a supply system means your fleet can casually wander home if it can compete with the largest enemy stack.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ulmont posted:

There was also something really weird with fallen empires where you could take more like 10 planets.

Yeah I think there's a bug somewhere because occasionally I would be able to get planets for a warscore of 8-10 each, but only with certain empires, fallen or not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

For real. I once fought an awakened ascendency that owned a quarter of the galaxy, and every planet cost like 3 WS; it was wonderful.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Taking planets feels like a terrible deal at the moment because you could take like 2-3 planets or you could vassalise them and then get all of the planets in 10 years time

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Taking planets feels like a terrible deal at the moment because you could take like 2-3 planets or you could vassalise them and then get all of the planets in 10 years time

There's a maximum size for vassalizing an empire, too.

...BUT ALWAYS LIBERATE AND VASSALIZE A FALLEN EMPIRE! It lets you get a research treaty with your vassal that will last the rest of the game, since the liberated former-FE has every tech through repeatables level 5.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ulmont posted:

There's a maximum size for vassalizing an empire, too.

it's way bigger than 3 planets though

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
after messing around with the defines.lua a bit, I wonder if anyone knows - does setting the game options to 'hyperdrive only' make it impossible to obtain jump drives in the endgame?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

CrazyLoon posted:

after messing around with the defines.lua a bit, I wonder if anyone knows - does setting the game options to 'hyperdrive only' make it impossible to obtain jump drives in the endgame?

I never stick around long enough to get to jump drives but iirc it does not

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

Nope, but there is a mod that does that, forget what it's called though. "Real Hyperlanes Only" or something?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

quote:

Next week we'll start wrapping up the Utopia/Banks dev diaries by talking about colored ships

Well, I was enjoying the sound of the new social policies in the update, but I think this might be a step in the wrong direction.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm working on a non-multicultural ship mod already don't worry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aethernet posted:

I find other forums to have far lower standards of writing; on Reddit threads I normally feel like I'm wading through sludge when trying to read innumerable uninteresting posts. People seem to put a degree of thought into these dead gay forums.

One thing from the AMA that's been raised before but is worth discussing agaim is Wiz's response on FTL types. He plans to redesign them at some stage. Personally, I rarely play anything but warp since its speed buff, as everything else involves faff, even though wormholes are technically better. I find I can largely ignore whatever FTL type the AI is anyway, aside from irritating whack-a-hole to take down generators. Speed is fairly consistent across all types.

I've been playing with everyone locked to hyperlanes because I much prefer having some terrain to play on, it would be nice if there could be elements of that for all FTL types like patches of space that block FTL.

Also being able to build interdiction fences around your empire to actually stop people just jumping into it wherever and whenever.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I've been playing with everyone locked to hyperlanes because I much prefer having some terrain to play on, it would be nice if there could be elements of that for all FTL types like patches of space that block FTL.

Also being able to build interdiction fences around your empire to actually stop people just jumping into it wherever and whenever.

Terrain is good, I agree. Nebulae should probably stop scanners as well as slow ships down, making it an interestingly risky border.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

Terrain is good, I agree. Nebulae should probably stop scanners as well as slow ships down, making it an interestingly risky border.

Gas clouds do slow ships down in the current version. I think one type also has an effect on shelds or something but its been a while since I last played so I could be remembering it wrong.

The problem is that most of space is just an empty void. The 'terrain' would just end up effecting whoever was stuck next to it while everyone else would be free to just ignore it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, technically nebulae slow down FTL travel but I've never even noticed it. A bit more "terrain" would go a long way.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Gas clouds do slow ships down in the current version. I think one type also has an effect on shelds or something but its been a while since I last played so I could be remembering it wrong.

The problem is that most of space is just an empty void. The 'terrain' would just end up effecting whoever was stuck next to it while everyone else would be free to just ignore it.

I think its closer to being limited to what "terrain" space could contain and keep it interesting. Nebula work well enough and I think Homeworld's execution of the "post-post super civilization ruins" would work in stellaris, especially with the existing relics of a bygone age, and the new clutter coming in Banks.

The ruins of colossal scale space projects that litter the systems within its sphere of influence. Mine chunks of hull for minerals, find the reactors for power or research specialized decks for science in-between colonizing the worlds within.

Could have fun names for the stellar regions the shattered remains represent too, "Gehenna's Spear", "The Sleeping God", "Utopia".

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 16, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I keep saying it every time he gets mentioned, but Andreas Waldetoft is seriously the best game composer in the business. I was so glad when Paradox officially hired him on.

The Morning Before D-Day is truly wonderful. If somewhat offtopic.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
poo poo, something I've realized I'd want- uplifted races should share your own race's name list.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Perhaps even alien species that reach leadership roles, depending on citizenship policies. Cultural conversion on the grand scale.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I think that already happens though? I swear I've had aliens using human names in my multi-species Human empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, something I've realized I'd want- uplifted races should share your own race's name list.

Something I've wanted: more uplifting species. I've been able to do it, like, once.

• Locked thread