Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Southern Heel posted:

KV-1 is best tank. Especially since he was both a) a terrible general b) ballsy enough to shout at Stalin

Now I want a KV and a Russian army in BA.

EDIT: OH MY GOD GUYS IT'S A NEW PAGE HERE'S A PICTURE OF THE LITTLE CAR I JUST ORDERED FOR MY FALLSCHIRMJÄGERS

TOOT TOOT HERE'S SOME PANZERSCHRECK.

EDIT: I did it. I bought myself the new Warlord KV1/2 box. It comes with a blast, smoke and fire marker and 8 infantry as tank riders! What what! AND ALSO BOTH TURRET OPTIONS - SO I CAN CHANGE ON THE GO.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do tank riders work? Do you get separate models that fit on the tank

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I wrote up a blog post about Warlord's French Infantry sprue. Basically I enjoyed the Fusiliers, while the Voltigeur/Grenadier is "meh".

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-infantry-reinforcements-warlord

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

How do tank riders work? Do you get separate models that fit on the tank

No, they're just 8 regular infantry. Not sure why they're included aside from just "hey, here's some extra stuff".

Anyway, that kv1/2 box is a good deal.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are there tank riders for minis tho?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Commissar Kip posted:

Now I want a KV and a Russian army in BA.

EDIT: OH MY GOD GUYS IT'S A NEW PAGE HERE'S A PICTURE OF THE LITTLE CAR I JUST ORDERED FOR MY FALLSCHIRMJÄGERS

TOOT TOOT HERE'S SOME PANZERSCHRECK.

EDIT: I did it. I bought myself the new Warlord KV1/2 box. It comes with a blast, smoke and fire marker and 8 infantry as tank riders! What what! AND ALSO BOTH TURRET OPTIONS - SO I CAN CHANGE ON THE GO.

Only 8? Soviet instructions allowed 15 men on one KV!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phi230 posted:

Yep!

Not sure about that beard, though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, they're metal though and I don't really like em:

https://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/soviet-tank-riders

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yep!

Not sure about that beard, though.

That guy looks like a garden gnome rather than a Red Armyman.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

I wrote up a blog post about Warlord's French Infantry sprue. Basically I enjoyed the Fusiliers, while the Voltigeur/Grenadier is "meh".

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-infantry-reinforcements-warlord

Spectacular job as usual - maybe look at a Foldio or some equivalent for your shots because I'm not sure the photo setup is doing them justice? As for the actual miniatures really one of the big things holding me back with the Black Powder starter set is how naff the R&F look :/

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Southern Heel posted:

Spectacular job as usual - maybe look at a Foldio or some equivalent for your shots because I'm not sure the photo setup is doing them justice? As for the actual miniatures really one of the big things holding me back with the Black Powder starter set is how naff the R&F look :/

In all honesty, I think his setup is fine. It really just needs some white-balancing and a touch of post-processing:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh, those tank-riders are doofy as gently caress. :barf:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
You can convert the plastic infantry into pretty good tank riders.
http://www.warlordgames.com/hobby-converting-plastic-soviet-tank-riders/

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Polikarpov posted:

You can convert the plastic infantry into pretty good tank riders.
http://www.warlordgames.com/hobby-converting-plastic-soviet-tank-riders/

Would be cool to be detachable

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Would be cool to be detachable

magnets

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Enentol posted:

In all honesty, I think his setup is fine. It really just needs some white-balancing and a touch of post-processing:

I want a better photo set-up anyway, as my current home-made one (it's a carboard box) is a bitch to work with, and the only two lamps I have are different so it's frustrating as hell to try to not get big shadows everywhere. The lack of a decent tripod is also annoying, as the shots get blurry if I try to use a small aperture and slow shutter for unit photos.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

How would i do this for real

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

How would i do this for real

And how do they work?

(you can drill into the models you want to magnetize and put small rare earth magnets in them. That way you can even paint over the magnet and cover it with varnish, and you'll still be able to plunk down and remove the other magnetized item).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You'd do it the same way I magnetized the Schurzen on my Pz III, only instead of putting magnets on the tank accessories, you'd put them in the butts of the tank riders. I used 1/16" rare earth magnets. The riders could only sit on the parts of the tank where you'd installed magnets in the deck, but that would be fine.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yep, a couple of dozen rare earth magnets, and an equivalent sized drillbit to make an indentation in the model - glue one magnet on either side and paint over. You could cover the magnet in some very thin plastic/greenstuff/putty to keep the tank surface smooth.

Has anyone tried the ruleset Baroque? I made the mistake of wandering into 4chan.org/tg and they're banging on about it being a great game

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Yep, a couple of dozen rare earth magnets, and an equivalent sized drillbit to make an indentation in the model - glue one magnet on either side and paint over. You could cover the magnet in some very thin plastic/greenstuff/putty to keep the tank surface smooth.

Has anyone tried the ruleset Baroque? I made the mistake of wandering into 4chan.org/tg and they're banging on about it being a great game

No but we're planning to play Tercio in 15mm, which is roughly the same subject right? Will get back when we're up and running with it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

No but we're planning to play Tercio in 15mm, which is roughly the same subject right? Will get back when we're up and running with it.

Is this some grog level ascendancy where you start playing games that don't even have webpages or YT videos at all and are written by one Latvian guy on a typewriter?

Also, are there any games you DON'T play? CoC, Lasalle, Sharp Practise, ToH, this Tercio? :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Is this some grog level ascendancy where you start playing games that don't even have webpages or YT videos at all and are written by one Latvian guy on a typewriter?

Also, are there any games you DON'T play? CoC, Lasalle, Sharp Practise, ToH, this Tercio? :)

Even worse, it's a game written by some Spanish dude, who a clubmate bumped into in Spain and bought the book from. It seems pretty nifty and fast paced.

http://totentanz-miniatures.com/product-category/guerra-30/

And I actually don't play that many games currently, the only games I've played the last year are CoC and SP2. But I've played a lot of games on and off, and we have a long laundry list of games that we want to play at the club. So we read a lot about rules and discuss them, even before figures hit the table. But since we prefer to paint with painted miniatures, it can take a while before we get started when we get into a new period or scale. SP2 went pretty quickly, as we got two sizeable forces done in a handful of months.

I haven't played Lasalle in 5 years and my 6mm French are far from painted, I've ordered ToH but I never really ended up liking Ronin, and I have yet to rebase and finish the samurai army for bigger battles with FoG, so I haven't played a proper samurai game in just as long. Tercios is a collective effort, we bought a bunch of minis at the club and then divided them. Once they're painted, we'll have two armies to play with. My share is a meagre two cannon + crew.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 16, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It's a very interesting viewpoint - I think I need to get involved in a club. I know it sounds very unsociable however, but I've never really gelled with local shops-that-run-gaming-nights - the guys that run Salute have a club nearby that I might try, but £120/mo membership is a bit steep!

Anyway, enough talk here's a little WIP of my P&S Militia in the colours of "London Red Trayned Band" - the white/light grey isn't blended at all but I'm pleased with the overall red tone:

Using this as a reference:

I'm thinking about giving them 'Freshly Raised' as a special rule:

Very flavoursome. Also flavoursome, this book, located as PDF here: https://ia800503.us.archive.org/24/items/militarydiscipli00barr/militarydiscipli00barr.pdf

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 16, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What are you using to glue your models onto to paint? I've seen many others use that tub or glass or container before.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

- the guys that run Salute have a club nearby that I might try, but £120/mo membership is a bit steep!

Haha, what?

Is the club run by Ian McShane and everything costs a skull-embossed gold coin?

Fake edit: The Groginental

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zhukov, what is best in life? Answer: T-34 model 1944.

Getting better at tanks. Going to try my hand at fancier weathering than "make that poo poo dirty" next.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Polikarpov posted:

In Bolt Action a Veteran IS-3 costs 720 points! :gonk: :ussr:

I don't know what points other tanks are, but an IS-3 in 1945 is basically the most boss tank anywhere in the world, aside from mechanical teething issues because it was so new.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

Haha, what?

Is the club run by Ian McShane and everything costs a skull-embossed gold coin?

Fake edit: The Groginental

HA! /year sorry! Honestly I don't know - it's a huge hall and I'm guessing there must be refreshments/etc. (right? RIGHT?!) - I will do some digging at Salute.

Phi230 posted:

What are you using to glue your models onto to paint? I've seen many others use that tub or glass or container before.

The black squares are just some cheap chinese bases from some not-GW dwarfs, I've used a dot of superglue to keep them there while I figure out how I should base them. I'm trying out the method espoused by many youtube painters, that is blu-tacking (or using poster putty in ths US) the base of the figure to a small bottle to grip. I was really really surprised at how much easier it is to paint the mini and so I've got dots of blu-tack on a few paint pots and so on too. I've found you need to have the mini on a base (so the irregular moulding underneath has something to grip onto) and the bottle/dowel/cork/etc. needs to be relatively hard and dry for the putty to stick.

This particular bottle thing is an ink bottle for a pen.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

HA! /year sorry! Honestly I don't know - it's a huge hall and I'm guessing there must be refreshments/etc. (right? RIGHT?!) - I will do some digging at Salute.

The black squares are just some cheap chinese bases from some not-GW dwarfs, I've used a dot of superglue to keep them there while I figure out how I should base them. I'm trying out the method espoused by many youtube painters, that is blu-tacking (or using poster putty in ths US) the base of the figure to a small bottle to grip. I was really really surprised at how much easier it is to paint the mini and so I've got dots of blu-tack on a few paint pots and so on too. I've found you need to have the mini on a base (so the irregular moulding underneath has something to grip onto) and the bottle/dowel/cork/etc. needs to be relatively hard and dry for the putty to stick.

This particular bottle thing is an ink bottle for a pen.

Yeah, it helps to mount the mini on something to hold that is bigger than a base. I glue mine to big nais, that way I can stick them into holes drilled in a bit of wood when I'm not holding them. And as a bonus it's easy to spray prime them that way.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The funny thing is that I'd never considered it at all until I made this conscious decision (along with wet palette) to try to improve and I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I think when I get to doing regiments (right now it's batches of two or three) then I'm definitely going to need to get something more approaching that assembly line layout.

Speaking of which, I've been gifted an airbrush (and have a compressor from years ago) but I'm thinking that it's going to be a bit of a false friend for Renaissance or Napoleonics since they're so detail heavy? Thoughts? EDIT: It's also a siphon feed rather than a gravity feed.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

The funny thing is that I'd never considered it at all until I made this conscious decision (along with wet palette) to try to improve and I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. I think when I get to doing regiments (right now it's batches of two or three) then I'm definitely going to need to get something more approaching that assembly line layout.

Speaking of which, I've been gifted an airbrush (and have a compressor from years ago) but I'm thinking that it's going to be a bit of a false friend for Renaissance or Napoleonics since they're so detail heavy? Thoughts?

One problem when you're painting regiments is to keep track of which ones you've painted with your current paint and so on, and I found that keeping them on wooden strips like this helps. If I have 16 holes and 15 minis, I pick on up, paint blue parts, put him down one hole to the right, and then pick up the next one. As I'm currently stupid enough to paint batches of 16+ cavalry, it helps to not have them sprawling over my entire hobby area.

Airbrush can be useful for an initial layer. For example, I just airbrushed all our DAK minis desert yellow. But it's a far more important tool for when you paint tanks and other vehicles.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That is actually a really good shout. Do you glue or tack your figures to the nails?

How long do you take to paint a given regiment? I've been trying to keep track of how long it's taking me to paint my command group - around one and a half hours so far, and I've got basing and some tidy-up to go. I'm deliberately not going bonkers with detail although I am trying to keep blending smooth. I'm also trying very hard not to extrapolate out the time-per-figure into one of those huge Warlord boxed sets...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

That is actually a really good shout. Do you glue or tack your figures to the nails?

How long do you take to paint a given regiment? I've been trying to keep track of how long it's taking me to paint my command group - around one and a half hours so far, and I've got basing and some tidy-up to go. I'm deliberately not going bonkers with detail although I am trying to keep blending smooth. I'm also trying very hard not to extrapolate out the time-per-figure into one of those huge Warlord boxed sets...

I use PVA glue, blue-tac or similar might be enough for plastic minis, but probably not for metals.

I try to paint my 28mm stuff in batches of 16-20 minis. I don't count in hours, and my painting time varies a lot depending on how much I travel for work. But overall I'd say I paint maybe in average one such batch per month, or maybe half if we're talking cavalry. Batch painting is much more time efficient when it comes to hour/miniature, so don't worry too much if you're taking some time with your command group. Since I'm new at Napoleonics I find that I spend quite a lot of time on the first batch just figuring out the exact colours for the uniforms, and then any following batch will be done much quicker.

WW2 is much faster, I could probably paint up a platoon in a month if I concentrate on it. It's just browns, greens, greys and washes.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think I found it, the groggiest of the grog:
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/really-old-school-wargaming-a-rules-review-of-a-classic/

EDIT: x/post from painting thread - I think I hosed up the red with it being too dark, but I'm generally relatively happy with how this little guy is turning out:

I'm taking on a steady diet of 'Campaigns of Napoleon' and 'Sharpe's Rifles' but honestly, I really get alot more 'in-game' from this:

than from this:

Annoyingly, I prefer pretty much everything else about the Napoleonic period other than the way it games. What an odd conclusion.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 17, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

nice

It feels like it was ages ago since I painted horses, but it was only 4-5 months ago. Basecoats and washes done. Ended up doing two washes, one brown and then one brown with some normal black paint added to it.

Considering making these from the 2nd lancer, which had green uniforms with orange facings and mucked about in Montbrun's Corps in Russia, with one squadron left at Borodino.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ added a pic of my dolly

If you do a regiment a month, how long do you have before your SP force is complete? Are you planning more than one, or one-and-done-and-off-to-something-else?

What are your thoughts on the relatively one-way journey of collecting miniatures for a single game? I'd never thought that would be an issue, having lived entirely on 40k 2nd Edition in my younger teenage years - but while a single Malifaux crew runs about £20 and a few hours of painting, getting into Historicals is something of a cul-de-sac per-scale and per-period.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Southern Heel posted:

If you do a regiment a month, how long do you have before your SP force is complete? Are you planning more than one, or one-and-done-and-off-to-something-else?

What are your thoughts on the relatively one-way journey of collecting miniatures for a single game? I'd never thought that would be an issue, having lived entirely on 40k 2nd Edition in my younger teenage years - but while a single Malifaux crew runs about £20 and a few hours of painting, getting into Historicals is something of a cul-de-sac per-scale and per-period.

What do you mean by a regiment? 8 figures? In which case a year. Or a box? In which case about 3 months.

Given the price of plastics for the era it isn't a big outlay.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I made this chart:

Aaaaand I might already have broken it as I bought more Hussars, I think both the Hussars and Dragoons are ending up like four units strong. But these are more or less the stuff I've bought, and the blue boxes are the ones I painted during Fall 2016. So far in 2017 I've more or less painted the four Carabinier units (still needs som basing), I'm doing some progress on the lancers. If I get a good painting summer I might have this in the bag at the end of the year, knock on wood. AFter that I might just add more strange stuff if I still enjoy painting Napoleonics, like Camel Dragoons and more units, or I'll simply focus on something else I want to do.

But yeah, this is way bigger than a reasonable SP force. It's more like maybe 4, maybe even 5 forces, if you go by the standard lists in the book. So I have a fully playable SP2 force done, I'm not keeping myself from playing the game. It's just that the collectiont grew crazy big when I realized that it was an excuse to go cavalry mad in 28mm, which I've always wanted from when I started playing WHFB as a kid, but never got around to. Just getting one formation of every cavalry type for the French is crazy, as I haven't even included horse carabiniers or cuirassiers (yet), and then there's all the allied cavalry and guard cavalry.

The Austrians are in there as a kind of start of a second army. If anyone at the club wants to play Austrians, I'll have the bulk of the army painted, so it won't be as big a leap for them to get started. Also, Austrians fought both with and against France, so it's a neat addition if we want some alternative enemies for the French.

As for collecting miniatures for a single game, I'd say set your mind to which scope you are ok with. Be efficient if you don't want your project to get crazy huge. My Napoleonics are based on me wanting to be able to pick and choose pretty much anything for a game, so I'm being wildly excessive since I want more or less one formation of most troop types. But when we were working on a Viking skirmish game, I just wanted enough for two opposing sides of skirmishers. So I bought a box of plastic Vikings and left it at that. Don't go crazy deep into something before trying it out. Hell, even trying out a game with cardboad unit outlines or proxy miniatures is great, so that you don't invest a year into painting for something you end up hating. Start out with smaller battles that can be scaled up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Aren't you a little intimidated by such a big plan laid out? I've often faltered when I can see the goal ... so far away! However, in the spirit of trying to get mine done too (and gosh, i've had to work quite hard to not go back and fruitlessly dither on the Command group I've done already) here's one for the rennaisance battalia I've just bought from Warlord. I'll split these down the middle to play the P&S rules, and join them together to play Kings of War Historical:

3 command done: 48 pikes, 72 muskets, 10 flintlock 'forlorn hope' and 24 cavalry to do.

Cromwell posted:

"THIS IS A RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT OF GOD UPON THESE BARBAROUS WRETCHES, WHO HAVE IMBRUED THEIR HANDS IN SO MUCH INNOCENT BLOOD...."