Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ME2 set a big benchmark for really fun characters and writing and great pacing. You're getting even less squadmates in the new game and probably worse writing from the looks of it. The combat looks really improved but, as some people have said, the fact that the old guard who made Dragon Age 1+2 and ME 1+2 are now long gone and we now have a lot of the people who did Inquisition means things are very different, poo poo, even Andromeda has a "rift" storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a bandwagon, it's well-deserved resentment from Mass Effect 3 being a half-finished piece of poo poo turned into skepticism about a new entry, and every single thing we've seen about Andromeda confirms people's doubts.

I don't think ME3 was half-finished. I think there are some significant problems with the game, but I don't think more time would have necessarily helped.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think ME3 was half-finished. I think there are some significant problems with the game, but I don't think more time would have necessarily helped.

From knowing way too much about the production of Mass Effect 3 than any human being reasonably should, the most accurate conclusion is probably, "time was definitely an issue, but the game had other problems beyond just being rushed."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o&t=337s
Goty. GOTYAY

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What has sold people on Prey? I haven't seen or heard much about it other than 'might be a bit like System Shock' and you can turn into a cup???

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

What has sold people on Prey? I haven't seen or heard much about it other than 'might be a bit like System Shock' and you can turn into a cup???

That and all of Arkane's other games have been pretty ace.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched the Polygon 1 hour of gameplay and came away with:

1) the music is loving excellent

2) they have set up a very interesting world and I want to know more

3) it looks very fun to play, and just from the video it seems to have captured the spirit of Shock-style games.

It's probably the game I'm most excited for and it kinda came out of nowhere.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol holy gently caress that wild card drop. this might actually be amazing.

Sakurazuka posted:

same as others have said, it's from Arkane who have done wonders with Dishonored, have a great engine in place and all the previews have been glowing about it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Earth Table posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is there a rubric for this neo score system

The "5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games" score system is a simple way of breaking games down into a number, which satisfies people's minds, with a more accurate result rather than marks out of ten or one hundred.

The G stands for one of the following words:
Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

G1, G2, G3, G4, G5.

The f stands for Fun Factor, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. This allows for some games to be good but didn't give me much fun and some games to be bad but a heck of a lot of fun! It's all highly subjective to myself, but I feel has slightly more leeway than percents and all that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's a good game that isn't fun?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am not sure where my opinion on ME:A will fall.

ME1 is a G5F4
ME2 is a G2F2
ME3 is a G5F5.

This is how I view the series so if I dislike ME:A as well then you know it's not dogpiling.

ME2 is the worst one????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Papers, Please

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol holy gently caress that wild card drop. this might actually be amazing.

The Key and tempo change on the fly is loving wild I'm extremely excited for this game!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o&t=2168s

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Pathologic

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Any of the good Silent Hill games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess I'm the weird one for equating "enjoying myself" with "having fun".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jay Rust posted:

This War of Mine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Last Of Us sticks out to me as a great game that actually isn't that fun to play in any way

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

ME2 is the worst one????

To me, yes. It changed everything I enjoyed about the first game, and I didn't like the majority of the new crew, or the bizarre dying/resurrection premise or the end boss, or the combat. They got rid of the cool planet exploring and mako, it became a cover shooter more than an exploration game.

ME3 is my favourite because of the way it ties up Liara, Wrex, Tali and Garrus journey with me. I love the writing and with how I played the game and when I played the game I understand that my experience is definitely the outlier. Hence, if I dislike ME:A then we know it's a bad game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 3 is a really interesting game, it's maybe the most uneven game I've ever played from start to finish. There are so many interesting plot permutations that 90% of people probably never saw because they involved making decisions in the first two games that no reasonable person would ever try to make. It's like they tried to act good on their "decisions matter" promise on entirely the wrong points.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This looks cool, I hope there's like a PS4 version or something where you don't have to buy the thing/cards

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I guess I'm the weird one for equating "enjoying myself" with "having fun".

There's a difference between being engaged and having fun. I was really engaged by Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac but I would never use the word "fun" to describe that experience.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

The "5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games" score system is a simple way of breaking games down into a number, which satisfies people's minds, with a more accurate result rather than marks out of ten or one hundred.

The G stands for one of the following words:
Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

G1, G2, G3, G4, G5.

The f stands for Fun Factor, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. This allows for some games to be good but didn't give me much fun and some games to be bad but a heck of a lot of fun! It's all highly subjective to myself, but I feel has slightly more leeway than percents and all that.

:wow:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

There's a difference between being engaged and having fun. I was really engaged by Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac but I would never use the word "fun" to describe that experience.

Seems to be a common thread with him. That's how I felt about Antichrist as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lars Von Trier is really good at making the viewer feel like poo poo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Deliberately unpleasant" is a hard sell

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Lars Von Trier is really good at making the viewer feel like poo poo.

Von Trier would really love LISA

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3 is a really interesting game, it's maybe the most uneven game I've ever played from start to finish. There are so many interesting plot permutations that 90% of people probably never saw because they involved making decisions in the first two games that no reasonable person would ever try to make. It's like they tried to act good on their "decisions matter" promise on entirely the wrong points.
I went into ME3 long, long after the fact so nothing with its ending was really surprising to me (I also wound up doing the Citadel DLC way too early which made it kind of disappointing, I really wish I had gone through it at the end). My feelings were mostly that the main problems I had with the game is that the entire campaign is you going through the motions on uniting the races and the whole process just feeling rather tedious and rote. The only one that felt remotely satisfactory is the stuff with the genophage and maaaaaybe the Geth/Quarian conflict. Otherwise the pacing of the whole game just feels really off and that was my primary disappointment with the experience, rather than the ending. Also the tryhard DC comics ninja reject villain whose name I've forgotten.

I don't really have some sort of fanfic idea in my head as to how ME3 could be fixed, mostly since by this point I am so far removed from the franchise and its story beats that I can't be bothered to really remember what it is I cared about it in the first place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

"Deliberately unpleasant" is a hard sell

The entire horror genre would disagree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Perhaps "fun factor" is there for the reviewer's subjective experience of it? Resident Evil is always my go-to for an example here, because I don't enjoy horror games, but I can recognize that RE7 is a very good example of its genre. So I'd probably score it well but with a low personal fun factor.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That "Call Me Maybe (Disturbed Remix)" sounded great.

Edit: I don't normally like survival horror games either but I totally dug RE7

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I can recognise some games being technically well done, polished and great in their particular genre, but not have any fun playing them.
Likewise, there are some guilty poor pleasure games.

The FunFactor is purely my level of fun with the game. The words are how I approach.

Plus, it helps with my opinion sharing as I'm very much the SA definition of easily pleased casual gamer. A lot of my opinions feel as though I don't have the same levels as the rest of the forums.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been waiting for Persona 5 for years at this point but suddenly I may not be getting it launch day in lieu of the EUIV expansion instead.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gotta pick between a Japanese high school student or a Japanese daimyo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk my Switch tells me I've been playing Zelda for 40 hours or something and I only did a second dungeon the other day and have yet to uncover more than 50% of the map. I think I'm covered for a while.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel confident in remaining one expansion behind the latest in EUIV, gives them time to rebalance things and fix problems that the expansion caused. Just picked up Mare Nostrum last week.

It also means I've only spent 90 dollars on this game rather than 210

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man am I tired of hearing about Persona 5. It feels like it's been coming out for 3 years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I've been waiting for Persona 5 for years at this point but suddenly I may not be getting it launch day in lieu of the EUIV expansion instead.

I managed to end up on a work trip that leaves exactly on Persona 5's launch day, so I won't be getting it at least until the weekend :negative:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Last Of Us sticks out to me as a great game that actually isn't that fun to play in any way

TLoU was great but it's also soul crushing so I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Never played a persona game but hell I'm still fairly hype for 5

• Locked thread