Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

Most of the people playing Untold Stories have never played a text adventure, and just look at this as a retro cool thing. It's like the single button apple mouse. It makes no sense to those used to how the systems have worked before, but to newcomers it's more intuitive.

Eh. I guess it's true that newcomers won't know what they're missing, but there's no way it's more intuitive. A guessing game to find the right sentence is way less accessible than just "type what you want the character to do".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Most of the people playing Untold Stories have never played a text adventure, and just look at this as a retro cool thing. It's like the single button apple mouse. It makes no sense to those used to how the systems have worked before, but to newcomers it's more intuitive.

Yeah I have to heartily disagree too. I wasn't playing for The House Abandoned, my wife was playing, and she plays a ton of games, but never touched a text parser game. She was deeply frustrated within a few minutes with how specific it was, and I thought it was just due to her lack of familiarity. Until I sat down and tried it. It's just flat-out poorly designed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i didn't have that much trouble with it until the ending sequence where i had to throw the bottle into the cop's car and somehow "put bottle in car" just refused to work and I had to go on youtube to find out what other people had written. Overall they really needed someone with text adventure experience to fix the parser but otherwise, i had fun although the twist of a car accident really reminded me of Trauma, in a bad way

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
Wow, that's a major bummer that they didn't fix the text parser issue. That had to have been a common complaint about The House Abandon.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I honestly enjoyed Stories Untold, especially episodes two and three where they make you do seemingly menial tasks which involve a lot of puzzling. But the more I think about it the less I like the overarching plot of the whole thing being you repressing your involvement in a fatal car accident, which seems just so put on as a twist that the rest of the scenes felt cheaper. I did like episode four doing meta stuff like "I'm sorry, I don't understand" but the twist ends at "you are a terrible human being who destroyed a bunch of lives" and... Nothing after. I would say overall I recommend it, but with reservations on the text parser and the plots.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I honestly enjoyed Stories Untold, especially episodes two and three where they make you do seemingly menial tasks which involve a lot of puzzling. But the more I think about it the less I like the overarching plot of the whole thing being you repressing your involvement in a fatal car accident, which seems just so put on as a twist that the rest of the scenes felt cheaper. I did like episode four doing meta stuff like "I'm sorry, I don't understand" but the twist ends at "you are a terrible human being who destroyed a bunch of lives" and... Nothing after. I would say overall I recommend it, but with reservations on the text parser and the plots.

But if you have reservations on the text parser and the plots, that doesn't leave much but the menial task stuff like setting up the experiments in the second episode... which they literally tell you how to do, step by step. There's hardly any kind of game there. I would say it might be worth the time for half the price they're asking. Otherwise if you like screwing around with things in pretty 3D environments, play The Room.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Oh no, the individual plots for each episode was interesting enough if only they didn't do that poor attempt to "connect" everything in episode four. I was really invested in the mysteries in two and three!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I dont understand how someone does a bad text parser in this day and age, where you can quickly and easily collect information about the failed commands your audience tried that would have made sense. It seems super dumb.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont understand how someone does a bad text parser in this day and age, where you can quickly and easily collect information about the failed commands your audience tried that would have made sense. It seems super dumb.

Excuse me but I don't want "Big Brother" in MY game. :colbert: (Seriously though, 100% agree)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pathologic demo up now for non-backers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505230

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

woodenchicken posted:

Pathologic demo up now for non-backers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505230

*grabs the nearest person and shakes them by the shoulders while screaming this in their face*

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

1stGear posted:

*grabs the nearest person and shakes them by the shoulders while screaming this in their face*

excuse me sir or madam this is a krispy kreme, we dont serve pathologics

(i'm hype)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1stGear posted:

An excellent description of what it's like to play Pathologic.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there any point now in playing the original Pathologic? I've had the HD version sitting in Steam for months but it hardly seems worth it to crack it open now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there any point now in playing the original Pathologic? I've had the HD version sitting in Steam for months but it hardly seems worth it to crack it open now.

IIRC the devs said the HD version and the new remake are different enough to be considered different games. The HD version is the old game with new graphics and a legible translation, the new game is rebuilt from the ground up

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I would definitely give it a spin. The remake seems to be fairly different and the original is an awesome and unique experience (well, the HD version with the new translation even moreso).

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also should be interesting to see how the art style changed, the locations got reimagined after a decade. And while the artist is the same in the remake, the composer has changed, so last chance to experience the psychedelic techno inspired by Blade Runner :v:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Anyone know any good games similar to Sara is Missing? The 'you're playing a game on a phone on a phone' shtick is really immersive. Gave No Stranger a brief shot, but unless it improves drastically after the first two conversations, it's kind of garbage.

Skyscraper posted:

You know, I had suspected that game had some horror stuff underneath, but haven't looked since release to confirm it. Thanks!

Night in the Woods is pretty fantastic. Feel like the ending was pretty anti-climactic and the (arguable) cosmic horror stuff could have been built up and handled a little better but it's definitely worth picking up and burning through. Reminds me a lot of Oxenfree, both gameplay-wise and thematically.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The new Pathologic demo left me all sorts of :psyduck: as I wondered around, failed pretty much everything I tried to do and then lost just about all my health to hunger. :v:

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
So it's faithful to the original, then

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Outlast 2 has been banned in Australia due to strong sexual violence.

Took this from Kotaku. (first google hit)

In one cut-scene in the game ... a female creature prepares Blake for a ritual. She says, "I want to see your true face. Your seed will burn this world." Shortly afterwards, he objects to having psycho-active dust blown into his face, yelling, "Nope! Nope!" before he stumbles into a forest clearing.

His vision blurring, he witnesses what appears to a ritualistic orgy. His wife, Lynn, calls out for his help, saying, "It hurts! Oh god!," as she hangs from chains on a raised platform at the front of the clearing. Humanoid creatures, their skin grey, spattered with blood and scarred, implicity have sex as others pray, or chant, or gesticulate.

One creature has another bent over a rock, thrusting as they implicitly have rear-entry sex, another sits astride the pelvic region of a creature prone on the ground, moving their hips rhythmically as they too implicitly have sex. Two other pairs of creatures in the clearing are also implicitly having sex.

As Blake yells for the creatures to "Get away from her!" a female creature, her greyish breasts bared, pushes him onto his back, holds his arms to the ground and repeatedly thrusts her crotch against him. As Blake protests, saying "No! Stop that!" the creature thrusts again, before placing its face over his midsection and then sitting up and wiping its mouth.

Although much of the contact between the creature and Blake is obscurred, by it taking place below screen, the sexualised surroundings and aggressive behaviour of the creature suggest that it is an assault which is sexual in nature. The Board is of the opinion that this, combined with Blake's objections and distress, constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence.

In the Board's opinion, the above example constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence and therefore cannot be accommodated within the R18+ classification category and the game is therefore Refused Classification.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

The new Pathologic demo left me all sorts of :psyduck: as I wondered around, failed pretty much everything I tried to do and then lost just about all my health to hunger. :v:

The Russian experience.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Drunken Baker posted:

Outlast 2 has been banned in Australia due to strong sexual violence.

Took this from Kotaku. (first google hit)

In one cut-scene in the game ... a female creature prepares Blake for a ritual. She says, "I want to see your true face. Your seed will burn this world." Shortly afterwards, he objects to having psycho-active dust blown into his face, yelling, "Nope! Nope!" before he stumbles into a forest clearing.

His vision blurring, he witnesses what appears to a ritualistic orgy. His wife, Lynn, calls out for his help, saying, "It hurts! Oh god!," as she hangs from chains on a raised platform at the front of the clearing. Humanoid creatures, their skin grey, spattered with blood and scarred, implicity have sex as others pray, or chant, or gesticulate.

One creature has another bent over a rock, thrusting as they implicitly have rear-entry sex, another sits astride the pelvic region of a creature prone on the ground, moving their hips rhythmically as they too implicitly have sex. Two other pairs of creatures in the clearing are also implicitly having sex.

As Blake yells for the creatures to "Get away from her!" a female creature, her greyish breasts bared, pushes him onto his back, holds his arms to the ground and repeatedly thrusts her crotch against him. As Blake protests, saying "No! Stop that!" the creature thrusts again, before placing its face over his midsection and then sitting up and wiping its mouth.

Although much of the contact between the creature and Blake is obscurred, by it taking place below screen, the sexualised surroundings and aggressive behaviour of the creature suggest that it is an assault which is sexual in nature. The Board is of the opinion that this, combined with Blake's objections and distress, constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence.

In the Board's opinion, the above example constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence and therefore cannot be accommodated within the R18+ classification category and the game is therefore Refused Classification.

And here I was hoping that the edgelord poo poo might be toned down a little

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

High impact sexual violence indeed

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Was this ban expected or is it unusual by Australian standards?

Improbable Lobster posted:

And here I was hoping that the edgelord poo poo might be toned down a little

Is it "edgelord poo poo" or is it a purposeful decision to continue to (very mild spoilers but given its Outlast it's obvious) place men as victims of sexual violence in a genre where women are the usual target, although usually the violence is implied/metaphoric? The description sounds absolutely horrific and uncomfortable to play out, so it succeeds on that point. Hell, could be both!

I wonder if a cut to black and voiceover only would lower the rating?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is it "edgelord poo poo" or is it a purposeful decision to continue to (very mild spoilers but given its Outlast it's obvious) place men as victims of sexual violence in a genre where women are the usual target, although usually the violence is implied/metaphoric? The description sounds absolutely horrific and uncomfortable to play out, so it succeeds on that point. Hell, could be both!

No, it's edgelord poo poo

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oxxidation posted:

The Russian experience.

Haha yeah basically.

Is food so hard to find? I Found raisins and a handful of nuts. Maybe I just somehow overlooked a fridge?

Does anyone know if the town beyond the broken bridges will be playable? It looks modeled enough to be a playable area if it were touched up a little.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Stupid bad edge lord poo poo like true detective imo

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The woman's also a target of sexual violence though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Catfishenfuego posted:

The woman's also a target of sexual violence though.

All I got out of the description was hung by chains (I'm assuming by her flesh) in a clearing yelling "it hurts," it didn't seem like she was actually part of monster orgy, unless there's more to the scene?

Oh, and plus it all starts with him being drugged, so maybe it's meant to imply it's not real, not that it changes the scene itself!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 16, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

As Blake protests, saying "No! Stop that!"
i too respond to sexual assault the same way i respond to a puppy chewing my socks

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That scene sounds really bad and dumb, but if people want to play a game with that in there that is their prerogative. I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mindblast posted:

Haha yeah basically.

Is food so hard to find? I Found raisins and a handful of nuts. Maybe I just somehow overlooked a fridge?

Does anyone know if the town beyond the broken bridges will be playable? It looks modeled enough to be a playable area if it were touched up a little.
The complete town is composed of this area plus two more about the same size. And there's the surrounding wilderness.

To get food you need to reopen the store I think.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That scene sounds really bad and dumb, but if people want to play a game with that in there that is their prerogative. I'm glad I don't live in Australia.

I'm glad I don't live in Australia because I would die of heat stroke day 1

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm glad I don't live in Australia because I would die of heat stroke day 1

If the venomous everything doesn't get your first.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
As somebody who enjoys ridiculous awful jimmyscreamerclauz tier torture gore poo poo, I'd like to say that sequence sounds completely stupid

This might sound dumb but that sort of thing doesn't work half-rear end. You either throw like full on body horror gross monster loving and rape or don't pussyfoot around with half measures and 'implied rear penetration' because then it's just skeevy without actually knocking the viewer off kilter like something genuinely 'holy poo poo' might manage to pull off; offscreen female-on-male rape and a 'tasteful' orgyrape with no visible penetration would probably just make my jaded rear end roll my eyes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This doesn't sound great and I don't expect great things, but at the same time, this is from a ratings review board, and I can picture their description being significantly different, in tone if not content, from the real thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mindblast posted:

It reinforced my decision to get the PS4 version, because I got past a loading screen only to have the game crash on me immediately while my computer screamed in pain on the lowest settings.

I realize it's an alpha and it's my fault for having an older computer, I am just annoyed at being unable to play the demo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gay Horney posted:

Stupid bad edge lord poo poo like true detective imo

I don't remember anyone in True Detective having their dick chopped off and then being raped to death but maybe season 2 went off the rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someday someone will use the term edge lord properly.