Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Oh yeah - I also played the everloving dogshit out of Altered Beast on my launch Genesis. But you probably already knew that. Because.
Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Those are all good changes, I was more referring to how you're basically told where to go and where to find most of the upgrades and how broken some of those upgrades are. It doesn't ruin the game but I really didn't expect it to be so easy.

"Told where to go" by process of elimination (AKA putting useful poo poo in previously worthless bunkers) is LOADS better than "Better get that Nintendo Power subscription, or you are hosed" from 1988.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I think everyone who had a TurboGrafx enjoyed Keith Courage for a little while, just on the thrill of it being the first thing you played on your brand new system. Heck, I had short-lived fun with it when I got my TurboGrafx off eBay in the late 1990s. But after a stage or two, the novelty of gunhead dudes and Rygar-ish music and anime characters saying things like THIS IS ROCK ZONE wore off, and I started scanning auctions for a cheap Ninja Spirit or R-Type.

The thing about Keith Courage is it's a game for children, based on a show for children. I'm older now and I don't play it much, I'd also rather play Ninja Spirit or R-Type, but when I was a kid I played it a lot (and I also owned objectively better games). I kind of feel like it trained me to play better games- it was my first experience of a game with a money system and shops, upgradeable weapons, NPCs to get information from, an overworld and a dungeon, etc. It's difficulty was not outrageous and it taught me how to play a memorization-heavy game without being as punishing as something like R-Type would be for a 6 year old. Memorization isn't always a bad thing and is a huge part of even some of the greatest games ever made (see R-Type again)

e: I'm just explaining why I like the game, not claiming it's a stone cold classic or anything. I can obviously see why people who didn't grow up with it wouldn't like it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Those are all good changes, I was more referring to how you're basically told where to go and where to find most of the upgrades and how broken some of those upgrades are. It doesn't ruin the game but I really didn't expect it to be so easy.

It a lot easier then the old Blaster Master, but I rather it be like this then the River City Ransom sequel on Steam that is way harder the original game and kept too much of the bad quality of the original game that didn't age well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

It a lot easier then the old Blaster Master, but I rather it be like this then the River City Ransom sequel on Steam that is way harder the original game and kept too much of the bad quality of the original game that didn't age well.

That game does have a lot of issues but they're mostly unique to that game and aren't something they inherited from RCR/Kunio-kun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope that Blaster Master Zero is a springboard into something more robust and unique. Although I am enjoying it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
While we're at it I'd like to remind people about Double Dragon 4, the game everyone already forgot about despite being, what, six weeks old? RCR Underground has issues but DD4 is just dire.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All of the Keith Courage talk prompted me to play it as I've never played it before and just got a duo R and an everdrive for it. It's pretty cool. As a bonus now I know what game the Frank intro in Pat's flea market madness videos comes from.

Here's my setup. I just need a dreamcast and the collection of consoles that are nostalgic for me is complete. (I never played a Saturn or an N64 so that's why I don't have those, and I have a PS3 with backwards compatibility in the living room on the HDTV.)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 16, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I hope that Blaster Master Zero is a springboard into something more robust and unique. Although I am enjoying it.
It has to at least be better than that Wiiware one (Overdrive?). That game was tragic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

While we're at it I'd like to remind people about Double Dragon 4, the game everyone already forgot about despite being, what, six weeks old? RCR Underground has issues but DD4 is just dire.

You know what I haven't forgotten? Double Dragon Neon.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I've only played the first 5 min of Blaster Master Zero since I am waiting until I beat Zelda first so I have another single player game to hold me over until Mario Kart 8. However, that Wonder Boy remake is looking promising as well, especially since it has the ability to switch back and forth between the old game and new like the Another World remake had. I never played the original Wonder Boy game since I've never played a Master System, but it still looks good.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot I bought DD4. I was too wrapped up in FF15 to play it and then the Switch/Zelda came out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

All of the Keith Courage talk prompted me to play it as I've never played it before and just got a duo R and an everdrive for it. It's pretty cool. As a bonus now I know what game the Frank intro in Pat's flea market madness videos comes from.

Here's my setup. I just need a dreamcast and the collection of consoles that are nostalgic for me is complete. (I never played a Saturn or an N64 so that's why I don't have those, and I have a PS3 with backwards compatibility in the living room on the HDTV.)

Peepin dat 32x-cd combo

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I figured there were way more Gundam games than I could comprehend, I was mildly curious if any of the PS2 era ones were worth bothering with. Sound like a no especially since I'm not a fan of any of the series.

And how was Double Dragon 4 dire? I got the other NES remake by Arc System Works: River City Tokyo Rumble and sadly I haven't had a chance to play it myself but I haven't heard anything bad about that one. Or much of anything at all it doesn't seem to have left an impact either.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Now that is some kicking off of the shoes... one lands nearly behind the TV on the other side of the other. Some aggressive relaxing there

Turbinosamente posted:

And how was Double Dragon 4 dire? I got the other NES remake by Arc System Works: River City Tokyo Rumble and sadly I haven't had a chance to play it myself but I haven't heard anything bad about that one. Or much of anything at all it doesn't seem to have left an impact either.

Tokyo Rumble was great and addictive. I 100% it while on vacation on the plane/train and in bed after my wife and kid were asleep.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 16, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

I've only played the first 5 min of Blaster Master Zero since I am waiting until I beat Zelda first so I have another single player game to hold me over until Mario Kart 8. However, that Wonder Boy remake is looking promising as well, especially since it has the ability to switch back and forth between the old game and new like the Another World remake had. I never played the original Wonder Boy game since I've never played a Master System, but it still looks good.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot I bought DD4. I was too wrapped up in FF15 to play it and then the Switch/Zelda came out.

I can't wait to get to new Wonder Boy and try out Blaster Master and Thimbleweed Park and Cuphead sometime this year and

*Persona 5 is in 3 weeks*

Let me just sweep everything off my desk onto the floor.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FireMrshlBill posted:

Now that is some kicking off of the shoes... one lands nearly behind the TV on the other side of the other. Some aggressive relaxing there

Ha my kid likes playing with shoes.

Lol.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

HKR posted:

Speaking of cool things:

https://gamehistory.org/dooly-bravo-land/

Stuff like this makes me wonder what classic games we might have missed out on from regions that didn't have a presence in the US/EU/JP game scenes.

I adore this dumb game a lot but it is not a lost classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUdTQifiNw

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

from arcade version:

OH! BIG

Vigilante on TG16 was my first beatemup. A long time later I got a toploader NES when they were being blown out at toys r us and when I rented Kung Fu I was like "oh snap"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I want to be a big too. :negative:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

from arcade version:

OH! BIG

Vigilante on TG16 was my first beatemup. A long time later I got a toploader NES when they were being blown out at toys r us and when I rented Kung Fu I was like "oh snap"

Up on the d-pad is jump and that's a travesty that makes me wish I had your Amiga thing for this. Also the first boss just lets you continually punch him without fighting back.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Up on the d-pad is jump and that's a travesty that makes me wish I had your Amiga thing for this.

That's a thing on tons of beatemups and isn't really a big deal as they're usually a lot slower than the fast action/platform games on the Amiga that are really crippled by having up jumping

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pcMxKmOOY&t=67s

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GutBomb posted:

Ha my kid likes playing with shoes.

Lol.

WHERE'S ALL THE PIPIS?!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

WHERE'S ALL THE PIPIS?!

I didn't know you were in movies

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GutBomb posted:

Up on the d-pad is jump and that's a travesty that makes me wish I had your Amiga thing for this. Also the first boss just lets you continually punch him without fighting back.

One of the British YouTube people like Chinnyvision or Kim Justice was reviewing a game and I heard them complain up wasn't also jump in it. And I just sat there like "christ it's bad British controls Stockholm Syndrome".

It wasn't even a game that was being played via joysticks where that might be a necessary evil, it was being played on keyboard controls. So no excuse.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Fixed the broken control panel base, did some basic cleaning, remounted.

Also replaced all locks on the cab with ones that I have a key for. Still painting the control panel, but should have that done right before vacation. The parts came in today and I'm excited.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

fishmech posted:

One of the British YouTube people like Chinnyvision or Kim Justice was reviewing a game and I heard them complain up wasn't also jump in it. And I just sat there like "christ it's bad British controls Stockholm Syndrome".

It wasn't even a game that was being played via joysticks where that might be a necessary evil, it was being played on keyboard controls. So no excuse.

Now I want to see what Brits think of MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Turbinosamente posted:

DD4 is a game that didn't really have any beat-em-up designers working on it, so a lot of baffling decisions were made. None are particularly dealbreakers but it results in the game just being lazy and boring. Stuff like "game's playfield is in widescreen but it never spawns more than a few enemies at a time, nearly never next to you", so the extra real estate just makes things take longer, or that you've seen all(?) the sprites within the first few minutes, or platforming challenges (always a fun time in a brawler) next to dudes who throw boomerangs, or...

It's real lazy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

from arcade version:

OH! BIG

I feel like this was a thing in 90's beat em ups

It's like boo! and Do Base Ball! Are forever burned in my mind

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like this was a thing in 90's beat em ups

We need to track down the origin. Ninja Warriors 1987 cannot be the first one with goofy poo poo written on the walls

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope if you move on to the next store it says FECK

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Ys - pronounced Ease or Wise?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Ease (but more an S than a Z sound at the end). We know this because the Japanese pronounciation (イース) isn't ambiguous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've usually felt that "Geese" without the G was the proper pronunciation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Like "fleece" but without the "fl".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pronounced "purestrain win"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

y-grec'ses :france:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ahn-ih-maye

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's pronounced iisu you filthy american dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

It's pronounced "purestrain win"

I feel like "owns bones" is also acceptable.

• Locked thread