Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Legend and other Endless titles are on sale right now....Might pick up the game + all the dlc for $17.50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Perfect timing as I just started playing EL again this week and was hoping to get Tempest when a sale came about.

I realised one of the most annoying things in this game is that sometimes the quests don't take into account the world generated. For instance in my most recent game I decided to try to do the Roving Clans main quest as my "win condition". After a few fairly easy quests in the game tells you to place your cities such that they are "harvesting" 7 anomalies. Now I found that the default world gen populated the map with too much stuff for my personal tastes so I have tuned down the number of anomalies to low. I don't think I have actually found 7 anomalies on the map and so the main quest is totally stalled for me. Its just one example, but I have often found the quests are impossible to complete in this game. A shame because everything else about it is amazing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I play the game on WINE, and have tempest enabled so that the water will render properly (else it's just a black void gfx glitch), but I absolutely loath all the actual tempest content; lovely naval techs whose purchase comes with a huge opportunity cost, the way embarked units fight, etc. I really don't get the point of it, and am sick of the facility notifications winge-ing on as if they're relevant. So I just enable tempest, then set the world gen to disable bodies of water. Helps!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

I play the game on WINE, and have tempest enabled so that the water will render properly (else it's just a black void gfx glitch), but I absolutely loath all the actual tempest content; lovely naval techs whose purchase comes with a huge opportunity cost, the way embarked units fight, etc. I really don't get the point of it, and am sick of the facility notifications winge-ing on as if they're relevant. So I just enable tempest, then set the world gen to disable bodies of water. Helps!

If you start the game surrounded, then ocean domination is an awesome option to have. Facilities give a ton of cool stuff.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
So how'd the mod scene for Endless Legend? Anything actually worth checking out?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Non-existant? There's a few "balance" mods out there, which are mostly people's pet projects. I'm only subbed to one that adds more colors to choose from.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Echoes of Auriga key:
*JNWQ-WLT6D-0GYLD
* = the first letter of the mage faction

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got one too but I don't own Endless Legend so

Endless Lege*d - Echoes of Auriga - 9VMTF-JMM2*-86EHA

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mordja posted:

I've got one too but I don't own Endless Legend so

Endless Lege*d - Echoes of Auriga - 9VMTF-JMM2*-86EHA

Thank you!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Playing endless space 2. I set an outpost i'm pumping food and everything is fine then cravers show up. Cravers make a rival outpost. No problem, I laugh, i'll be done ten turns before them. I'll be done five turns before them. I'll be done the same as them? They are beating me next turn.

So I realize they're stealing my food or boosting with things or whatever. I move to stop this. I blockade the system. I blockade the system before the system to start intercepting all the civilian ships. I research the give-me-goddamn-manpower thing, and steal my stolen food back.

I do everything I can think of, and then it says we both will finish next turn. Well if this fails I'll quit. Whatever. I hit next turn and I get a weird message. Your outpost on [name] is being contested! Send someone to claim the system!" or something along those lines. I can't quote it now because it's gone forever. I sent more people. Nothing is happening? i'm shooting down every civilian ship that cravers is sending and I am orbiting the poo poo out of this system and it's just stuck. I am not allowed to invade it because we're not at war.

What the hell does contested outposts mean? What are you supposed to do about it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I, too, have a spare Endless Legend - Echoes of Auriga key free to a goon home:

DVBHH-*N9C5-7*FR9

* is the first letter of the reskinned Vaulter faction.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Endless Legend and other Endless titles are on sale right now....Might pick up the game + all the dlc for $17.50

I picked this up on sale and played the tutorial. I played a lot of Civ4 BTS and a little Civ5 but have never played an Endless game. I read the 'before i play' summary for Endless Legend (basically: districts are important, and races play very differently). Anything else to know before diving in? New guy tips?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

pmchem posted:

I picked this up on sale and played the tutorial. I played a lot of Civ4 BTS and a little Civ5 but have never played an Endless game. I read the 'before i play' summary for Endless Legend (basically: districts are important, and races play very differently). Anything else to know before diving in? New guy tips?

Go in fresh and do quests. That's where the fun starts! Also don't do the shadow dudes first because they're weird as hell and play against a few ideas of the game in order to work. Same with the cultists.

I think Vaulters and Elves are generally the easiest to understand coming from Civ? Maybe Elves moreso than anyone else. Also easy on the districts unless you're prepared for the happiness drop. They murder happiness until they're chunked together.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Elves are the most vanilla faction: they don't have anything special other than some bonuses to production. Vaulters have the whole Holy Resource thing, which isn't super complicated but might be confusing if you're not used to all the other mechanics yet. I know it was when I first started, all the way back in early access.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wild Walkers are probably the easiest faction to learn how to play the game with. They don't really have any specialties, but that doesn't mean they are a 'bad' faction, far from it. They are probably the easiest to understand how to play if you come from Civilization. Make sure to NOT destroy trees as them, as Trees are really good for them. Other factions have other mechanics you have to figure out how to use in order to play them effectively, which you can probably figure out after the basics of the game.

Just because the walkers are basic doesn't mean they aren't fun to play. Their very 'unique' thing is they can see armies inside their own region as well as those of neighboring regions. Helps you see if someone is bringing an army to try and take you down.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I don't understand. You can destroy trees?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I think he means "don't build boroughs on top of forests"?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Building on top of trees destroys them? What about wizard stones. Do I lose the science from building on top of them?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Building on forest tiles converts them to plains tiles, which makes them lose some production in exchange for I think food. Building on top of special anomaly tiles like the wizard stones does not have any effect on them except for the standard -1 to food.

pmchem posted:

I'd also advise the Drakken as a potential starting game, they're not much more complicated than the elves, and they're much tankier and have the ability to force other players to make peace with them.

For general tips- research the mercenary market tech by turn 50 or so if you can, then buy as many heroes as you can afford- besides the general boosts they give, the topmost skill in the middle tree gives complete immunity to winter penalties to their stack/city, which makes a gigantic difference later on. Speaking of heroes, they gain passive XP each turn that's increased for every unit in their stack or in the garrison of the city they're governing. Try to get a decent stockpile of influence early on, once you unlock the second-tier civic plans there's a bonus that gives you a flat +25 happiness in every city that you want on every time. Local happiness gives you a +15% bonus to food and industry for happy and +30% for ecstatic, getting an empire average of happy or ecstatic gives the same bonus to dust and science. Surrounding a city tile with four others levels it up, increasing its yields and turning the -10 happiness into a +5. The Industrial Megapole wonder is ludicrous and if you can possibly contest it you want to.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
No, building a district (including a city center) on top of a forest tile does not change anything about the tile. It will still be "terrain with forest" and it will still give the same resources it gave before with the normal -1 food penalty from the district. There is no way to "destroy trees". In fact, there is no way to change a tile's terrain type or modifier at all, as far as I am aware.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

IAmUnaware posted:

No, building a district (including a city center) on top of a forest tile does not change anything about the tile. It will still be "terrain with forest" and it will still give the same resources it gave before with the normal -1 food penalty from the district. There is no way to "destroy trees". In fact, there is no way to change a tile's terrain type or modifier at all, as far as I am aware.

Don't the necrophages change tiles?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
As Wild Walkers you should absolutely be building your cities directly into and around forests, because that's their whole deal. They reside in living cities grown from trees and poo poo, and for some reason that gives them a terrific industrial base (???).

The best is when you're playing WW and you rush the Industrial Megapole wonder on your capital, which subsequently ensures you will be able to effortlessly rush every other wonder as long as you can scrape together the resources for them - between the Megapole's massive Industry boost, the bonus Wild Walkers get from forest tiles, a WW hero as governor, and all the Industry-boosting tech improvements you're gonna want, you'll find yourself constantly grinding out units to sell or march off to war because you keep slamming down all the new buildings you unlock way faster than you can research the next tech.

They're probably the most straightforwardly powerful faction in the game in terms of supporting (and being good at) basically any playstyle, just because a monstrous industrial base like theirs can be used to do drat near anything with a little prep work. If you're new to Endless Legend, definitely play the Wild Walkers first.

e: I just realized that their unique ability (advance warning of unseen enemy armies on the approach) even synergizes well with their Industry bonuses, because their ridiculous production often lets them say :siren: oh poo poo I didn't leave anyone in that garrison :siren: and then by the time the enemy actually reaches that city its garrison is full and there's a second doomstack standing outside of it. I'm continually amazed by how thoughtful and thorough the design decisions in this game are.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 21, 2017

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Don't the necrophages change tiles?

The only thing they have that I can think you might be thinking of is that they harvest one less food from tiles than the tiles have on them, but they don't actually change the tile (for example, a Necrophage player exploiting a 3 food tile only gets 2 food from it, but if a Vaulter player comes along and takes over the city the Vaulter will get 3 food from that tile).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
So I've been playing around with different custom factions. Tired of playing cellulose broken lords.

Any other fun, combat oriented builds people are using?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In endless space 2, the research that allows you to find bonus systems that are unconnected to a star lane, hidden out in the obscure arms of the galactic spiral, does it work? I mean I've found them, but only during the horatio or human empire quest where it reveals them. I research this thing and nothing happens. I go out looking and nothing happens. I don't think they exist.

and even if they do who cares. The effort to find them is ridiculous who needs one extra system with mediocre FIDS and can't even poo poo out ships in secret because without a star lane it'll be eight turns to get anywhere important?

My entire nation revolted because of this 'find the hidden systems at all costs" initiative.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have any clues when ES2 might be released?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Endless Legend UI question:

Just started a game. My city's little info banner in world view (see pic) won't go away, so it's obscuring tiles near units on my map. How do I make that go away?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Good question! I think the answer is "Nope, suck it up and use the zoom function" :(

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Ctrl+F10.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thanks, that's useful!

New question: why does auto explore suck so bad? Is there a trick to making it work? I have bathysphere ships exploring the oceans but they rarely use up all their movement points. There are plenty of unexplored sea squares out there. I don't get it at all. I'm watching these things carefully and auto-explore is totally horrible at, well, exploring.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
I've noticed that autoexplore seems weird about oceans, I wonder if the shifting movement costs from Weather cause it to break or something. Unfortunately I don't really have a solution aside from manually moving your scouts.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New major faction for Endless Space 2. They're from another dimension! https://wiki.endless-space.com/factions/riftborn

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
And holy poo poo are they cool. This is what the Harmony should have been.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Amplitude always design cool species. Wish they did an endless artbook.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
They did. It's excellent, but they never printed it. I have the PDF, and it really is a gem.

EDIT: Fun facts from the artbook - Horatio nobles are prone to solving disputes via "fencing" which to the Horatio means a combination of interpretive dance and poetry recitation. Horatio has his mirrors destroyed and replaced every morning, because he can't stand the idea of something that has seen his beautiful image could be sullied with anything else afterwards.

E2: Most Sophon ships are equipped with a "Discussion Arena". It's about what you'd expect from the name.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 16, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Where do I get the pdf one?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is ES2 good yet? All the early access LP's I've seen make it look ok but still with a lot of show-stopping bugs and unbalanced/broken features.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I don't know anymore, I got it because I bought ES back when it was in Early Access.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

Is ES2 good yet? All the early access LP's I've seen make it look ok but still with a lot of show-stopping bugs and unbalanced/broken features.

No. The next update (with that new faction) is due March 23rd and will be adding a bunch of stuff, and according to their early access roadmap there's only the 'release' update to go after this one. Basically, we should be nearing complete as of the end of this month but who knows what new bugs we get. Perils of EA.

I'm not down on it or anything, it's just not done yet. Pretty, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've already sunk a bunch of time into Endless Space 2 and it's getting there, but I probably wouldn't buy it just yet unless you absolutely must play it right now. I don't regret getting it at all, it's simply unfinished and some things can be kind of goofy, like the pirate spawns. I haven't played in a while, but they kind of over-tuned them in the last major update and they turned into an unending horde. It wasn't uncommon for me to see some systems that had like 30+ ships in them or en route somwhere. These would be broken up into fleets of 4 or 5 ships so it was pretty trivial for one of my murderfleets to park somewhere and clean them up. It just got really, really annoying having to deal with like 10 sequential battle prompts every turn.

So, yeah, definitely not finished, but it's shaping up to be really, really good. I love playing as the Vodyani; they've just got such a neat gimmick.