Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Evil_Greven posted:

Hmm... well this isn't looking like a great trajectory so far

gettin to be bout that time to revise the 'ol y-axis. may as well zero it out for where we're headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Anybody know of any good information about housing and sea level rise?
The climate change housing crash is going to be intense. 30 year amortization periods is a long loving time. I'm curious when mortgage companies stop signing off on homes because their investments might be literally underwater before they start making their money back. The first house that gets denied is going to set off a crash that could easily lead to a depression. These are houses that lose ALL value. Billions of assets just disappear.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I don't, but I will note that nobody should use any of the sea level rise simulators that you see linked now and then to determine if an area will be underwater at a given sea level rise, as they define the average sea level (i.e. at the average tide), so you need to at least add half of the tidal range at a given location to your chosen sea level rise to get a map of which areas will be flooded twice per day. The difference in flat regions can amount to several kilometers. And then if you don't want your house to be flooded once a year or so, you need to add another meter or more for tidal/storm surges.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Placid Marmot posted:

I don't, but I will note that nobody should use any of the sea level rise simulators that you see linked now and then to determine if an area will be underwater at a given sea level rise, as they define the average sea level (i.e. at the average tide), so you need to at least add half of the tidal range at a given location to your chosen sea level rise to get a map of which areas will be flooded twice per day. The difference in flat regions can amount to several kilometers. And then if you don't want your house to be flooded once a year or so, you need to add another meter or more for tidal/storm surges.
Plus if you're simply going off average global sea level rise you might underestimate sea level rise in the region you're looking at, since some regions are expected to see sea levels rise a good deal faster than others. (Though obviously this means some areas are less vulnerable too.)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus if you're simply going off average global sea level rise you might underestimate sea level rise in the region you're looking at, since some regions are expected to see sea levels rise a good deal faster than others. (Though obviously this means some areas are less vulnerable too.)

Another thing to note it alot of these handles lakes badly so that landlocked lake filled by rainwater? suddenly sinks the neighborhood beneath the waves

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I live on a hill

Hill people reign supreme now just as they did 10,000 BC.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

vermin posted:

I live on a hill

Hill people reign supreme now just as they did 10,000 BC.

I'm not roman BUT I do live on one of 3 hills in the capital of a rotting civilization!

ama

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jack2142 posted:

Another thing to note it alot of these handles lakes badly so that landlocked lake filled by rainwater? suddenly sinks the neighborhood beneath the waves
That's just accurate modelling of increased precipitation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not roman BUT I do live on one of 3 hills in the capital of a rotting civilization!

ama

What are your thoughts on clogging the guns of the GOP with our blood?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

I'm in the middle of writing a paper on climate change and one of my sources just got shut down by the trump administration. The NOAA arctic report card has been axed this morning

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's a pretty good post/custom title combo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah a lot of my building controls and HVAC and energy classes rely heavily on climate/temp/environmental/solar data from NOAA and EPA and energyStar websites, tools like eQuest, Portfolio Manager, etc.. I've been afraid to check and see if they're still around. I mean Portfolio Manager is literally a tool for people with multiple properties to make cost-benefit-analysis decisions for their properties' maintenance and energy costs and how to reduce those financial costs, but I am pretty sure it's gone or will go away soon.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

That's a pretty good post/custom title combo.

Thank you. Someone got very mad when I brought up how Hillary was being covered in Canadian news.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The website is still up.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Earth's oceans are warming 13% faster than thought, and accelerating

quote:

Fortunately, a paper just published today in Science Advances uses a new strategy to improve upon our understanding of ocean heating to estimate the total global warming from 1960 to 2015. I was fortunate to co-author the study, which uses several innovative steps to make improvements.

First, we corrected past data for known biases in measurements. Second, we related the temperature measurements to results calculated from advanced climate computer models. Third, we applied temperature knowledge to larger areas so that a single measurement was representative of a large space around the measurement site. Finally, we used their knowledge of recent and well-observed temperatures to show that the method produced excellent results.

We were able to extend our techniques back to the late1950s and show that the rate of global warming has changed significantly in the past 60 years. One main outcome of the study is that it shows we are warming about 13% faster than we previously thought. Not only that but the warming has accelerated. The warming rate from 1992 is almost twice as great as the warming rate from 1960. Moreover, it is only since about 1990 that the warming has penetrated to depths below about 700 meters.
:tif:

Direct link to the paper: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/3/e1601545

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/news/20170315/

quote:

February 2017 Was Second Warmest February On Record

February 2017 was the second warmest February in 137 years of modern record-keeping, according to a monthly analysis of global temperatures by scientists at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York.

Last month was 1.1 degrees Celsius warmer than the mean February temperature from 1951-1980. The two top February temperature anomalies have occurred during the past two years.

February 2016 was the hottest on record, at 1.3 degrees Celsius warmer than the February mean temperature. February 2017's temperature was 0.20 degrees Celsius cooler than February 2016.

and:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/science/great-barrier-reef-coral-climate-change-dieoff.html

quote:

Large Sections of Australia’s Great Reef Are Now Dead, Scientists Find
[...]“We didn’t expect to see this level of destruction to the Great Barrier Reef for another 30 years,” said Terry P. Hughes, director of a government-funded center for coral reef studies at James Cook University in Australia and the lead author of a paper on the reef that is being published Thursday as the cover article of the journal Nature. “In the north, I saw hundreds of reefs — literally two-thirds of the reefs were dying and are now dead.”[...]

Globally, the ocean has warmed by about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit since the late 19th century, by a conservative calculation, and a bit more in the tropics, home to many reefs. An additional kick was supplied by an El Nińo weather pattern that peaked in 2016 and temporarily warmed much of the surface of the planet, causing the hottest year in a historical record dating to 1880.
[...]
But an Australian government study released last week found that over all, last year brought “the highest sea surface temperatures across the Great Barrier Reef on record.”

Only 9 percent of the reef has avoided bleaching since 1998, Professor Hughes said, and now, the less remote, more heavily visited stretch from Cairns south is in trouble again. Water temperatures there remain so high that another round of mass bleaching is underway, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority confirmed last week.

Professor Hughes said he hoped the die-off this time would not be as serious as last year’s, but “back-to-back bleaching is unheard-of in Australia.” The central and southern part of the reef had already been badly damaged by human activities like dredging and pollution.

Just more bad news all around.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
C'monnnnnn optimists! Tell us how we're gonna solve this!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

call to action posted:

Liberation is inevitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFG999aOCs&t=60s

(0:01:00 - 0:02:40)

quote:

Change–and everything is change; nothing can be held on to–to the degree that you go with a stream, you see, you are are still, you are flowing with it. But to the degree you resist the stream, then you notice that the current is rushing past you and fighting you. So swim with it, go with it, and you’re there. You’re at rest. And this is of course particularly true when it comes to those moments when life really seems to be going to take us away, and the stream of change is going to swallow us completely. The moment of death, and we think, ‘Oh-oh, this is it. This is the end.’ And so at death we withdraw, say ‘No, no, no, not that, not yet, please.’

But, actually, the whole problem is that there really is no other problem for human beings, than to go over that waterfall when it comes. Just as you go over any other waterfall, just as you go on from day-to-day, just as you go to sleep at night. Be absolutely willing to die.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is that reef die off due primarily due to temperature or other effects like acidification?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

Is that reef die off due primarily due to temperature or other effects like acidification?

Heat, per the article.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

call to action posted:

The Earth will cleanse the infestation.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

and to think the Arctic is heating at twice the rate! No pretty reefs to look up there though

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Minge Binge posted:

and to think the Arctic is heating at twice the rate! No pretty reefs to look up there though

Not yet :getin:

In another thread last week someone linked an article about men's sperm getting deformed just in the last few decades, so natural selection might save the planet from humans anyway, lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

got any sevens posted:

In another thread last week someone linked an article about men's sperm getting deformed just in the last few decades, so natural selection might save the planet from humans anyway, lol

I think Disc Vox did his/her magic on that story. Maybe it was another one I dunno.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

got any sevens posted:

At this point I would shed tears of unending relief at the revelation that the USA had secretly sterilized the bulk of the worlds population through an undetectable aerosol or something.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Oh look, another Rime post.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Minge Binge posted:

One of the things that I find really challenging is convincing people that actually, yes, it does matter that the Arctic and the oceans in general are warming. It's hard to break through the initial reaction of "Oh, it's sad about the polar bears and penguins, but it's not the end of the world!" Bridging that gulf to get people to understand that this is affecting weather patterns here, right now feels like an insurmountable challenge sometimes. :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

One of the things that I find really challenging is convincing people that actually, yes, it does matter that the Arctic and the oceans in general are warming. It's hard to break through the initial reaction of "Oh, it's sad about the polar bears and penguins, but it's not the end of the world!" Bridging that gulf to get people to understand that this is affecting weather patterns here, right now feels like an insurmountable challenge sometimes. :(

hopefully we'll get a category 6 monster tornado rip through the heartland pretty soon. that'll show them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What happened to Larsen C? Haven't heard about it in a while.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

hopefully we'll get a category 6 monster tornado rip through the heartland pretty soon. that'll show them.

don't know if that will work. there was a monster tornado in joplin in 2011. it was blamed on not praying enough/not following the Cardinals close enough/millenials. :bahgawd:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

call to action posted:

Positivity

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What happened to Larsen C? Haven't heard about it in a while.

Couldn't find anything new.

Might not hear about it again given likely information lockdown on anything to do with climate.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
another battle won in the war on coal
https://twitter.com/JeffScheid/status/842508131406036992

ed: woah this was not the thread I meant to post this in but still works I guess

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

eNeMeE posted:

Couldn't find anything new.

Might not hear about it again given likely information lockdown on anything to do with climate.

There's just not much to say. The chunk is likely going to break up next year if it doesn't this year, and after that it'll be a matter of observing things to verify some hypothesis on ice calving mechanics and what it'll mean to the overall structure of the shelf.

In a worst case scenario, where the entire structure destabilizes and the ice shelf begins to break up over the course of the next few years, what we'll see is a small but significant increase in the rate of sea level raise as glacial ice flows more freely into the ocean.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There should be a climate fund you can buy and hold as a stock. Not with stuff like solar energy companies, but civil engineering firms (for the large projects we'll need to hold the seas back), gun manufacturers, and shorts on coastal real estate.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

call to action posted:

There should be a climate fund you can buy and hold as a stock. Not with stuff like solar energy companies, but civil engineering firms (for the large projects we'll need to hold the seas back), gun manufacturers, and shorts on coastal real estate.

Doubtless there are.

This isn't precisely what you're looking for (primarily due to the ideology component heh), but activist investors are all. Over. Climate change. This is one of the few things people predicted and got right about the phenomenon. Money is talking about climate change in that specific way.

I'd add that from a non-revolutionary standpoint this is probably one of the most effective ways to promote a change in perspective. It's still mercenary poo poo capitalism but considering we're not gonna get rid of it any time soon, it's a powerful way to advocate.

You can also see a lot of private land trusts, REITs and otherwise, getting in on the game. It pays to stop beetles from decimating your wildlife reserves if their preservation is your sole purpose for existence.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 17, 2017

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

lmao we're hosed. what a time to be loving alive

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Sir, this is a Starbucks.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when people assumed that we'd at least be trending towards greater climate acceptance/mitigation work as the signs of climate change made themselves obvious? lol

WaryWarren posted:

Sir, this is a Starbucks.

Starbucks is next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

call to action posted:

Remember when people assumed that we'd at least be trending towards greater climate acceptance/mitigation work as the signs of climate change made themselves obvious?

Nope.