Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tag Heuer's announcing something new on the 14th:

https://twitter.com/TAGHeuer/status/840216538728796160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got the style because I have poor self control but I don't like any of it's stock faces. Anyone have a nice suggestion for a nice looking face that uses the unread notification feature?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Official name is Tag Heuer Connected Modular, looks like it comes in a variety of styles and a ridiculous price of $1,650 US.

http://www.androidcentral.com/tag-heuer-doubles-down-luxury-smartwatches-connected-modular

quote:

As specs sheets go, the Tag Heuer Connected Modular isn't going to wow anyone familiar with smartwatches. Like its predecessor, this is an Intel-based watch with a single crown button on the side that doesn't rotate. Unlike its predecessor, there's only 512mb of RAM onboard. The 410mAh battery powers a 287ppi display in a 45mm casing that is 7.5mm thick and can handle water down to 50 meters. There's no heart rate monitor, no barometer, no LTE radio, and the watch itself charges with a magnetic pin dock. You get WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC for Android Pay, and GPS onboard. Oh, and this watch is the first smartwatch to ever be certified as "Swiss Made" to help indicate quality.

Apparently their last one sold really well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus when is someone going to release a decent watch. Just make the Huawei / 360 v2 with NFC and I'm in.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Tag is everything, swappable bands and lugs, AMOLED with light sensor, no flat tire, GPS, Android Pay, huge battery, ceramic back. The cost, too much for me but it is not so outrageous for the brand. It at least proves that a no compromise watch is possible, someone just needs to do it where you aren't paying $1k+ for the brand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you aren't paying $1k for the brand, no one wants to buy it and the whole exercise falls apart.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought you all would appreciate this Droid Life opinion piece: This New Batch of Android Wear Devices is Not Good Enough

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Smartwatches continue to be a weird intersection of style and technology and I still don't think anyone has a formula to create a runaway success.

I almost think wear should have been scaled back and been more about defining a wearable/phone communication interface and wearable sensor package than a full blown watch OS.

99% of my use case could be taken care of with a normal watch, a vibration motor, a mic to dictate reminders, and some sort of notification indicator.

If you stated with those basics and added features from there, I think we would have far more choices out there.

Honestly, I would get almost as much use out of a traditional watch with a half face screen under the hands. It wouldn't even need a touchscreen, just be able to flip through and dismiss notifications.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I about to agree until I remembered using my watch to pause stuff. Can't give that up. A single hard button would be adequate but I'm not sure how you'd make it clear to ordinary users what the function of the button was for that app. Having half the face for display doesn't leave a lot of real estate for labels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, like I said, minimal feature set allowed but more can be done.

Basically, I think wear should be more scalable to the hardware and provide as much or as little functionality that the user wants to buy into.

Wear becomes everything from a single feature add (buzz for notification) to an LG Sport fully featured watch. The device would just advertise the feature profiles that it is capable of and the correct features would be exposed.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Android Wear still has that one critical feature missing that I need that pebble had. The ability to dismiss a notification from my watch but leave it on my phone. I can swipe the notification down, but it's still there and pops back up from time to time.

Hey thanks for the notification about that email, google watch! I definitely need to read that later but it's not an emergency NO YOU DEAL WITH IT RIGHT drat NOW.

Swiping on my Zen3 still feels really clunky too. No I don't want to entirely dismiss the notification I just want to hide it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you turn off the card previews, it doesn't pop up past the initial notification. Swipe it down and forget about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The implemention of Android Pay on Wear sounds just horrid.
http://www.androidcentral.com/almost-convenient-world-android-pay-android-wear

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not on a device that has 2.0 or had the preview but I've got to say that everything about 2.0 sounds terrible.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

playing with 2.0 for a couple of days before returning the Style was... ok. a few things were nice, but my major complaint were that i could see very little of notifications before having to expand it. Like, a hangouts message would show me 2 words whereas the cards that pop up before 2.0 had at least the first sentence.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

playing with 2.0 for a couple of days before returning the Style was... ok. a few things were nice, but my major complaint were that i could see very little of notifications before having to expand it. Like, a hangouts message would show me 2 words whereas the cards that pop up before 2.0 had at least the first sentence.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The best part of Wear for me is being able to glance at my wrist and just have the message. Not having to fiddle with things was the whole point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Hmm, so which AW watch should I buy.

My OG Moto 360 only lasts a few hours before battery is dead so I need to just get something. I was hoping Google's (LG's) new watches would be great, but they're ho-hum.

So I just need something that looks decent but I don't want to spend a lot because ... well nothing available is all that great. I do get a lot of utility out of my 360, so I don't want to just give up on smartwatches.

I was thinking about looking for something used, but not sure how I feel about that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, so which AW watch should I buy.

My OG Moto 360 only lasts a few hours before battery is dead so I need to just get something. I was hoping Google's (LG's) new watches would be great, but they're ho-hum.

So I just need something that looks decent but I don't want to spend a lot because ... well nothing available is all that great. I do get a lot of utility out of my 360, so I don't want to just give up on smartwatches.

I was thinking about looking for something used, but not sure how I feel about that.

ZenWatch 3. It's on the cheap side, looks fantastic and like a real watch, and actually is pretty drat good as far as quality goes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, seek out a 2nd gen 360. B&H still has new ones in stock and some styles are pretty discounted.

IMO, there's no real "new" features on the latest gen that makes them must have. That's even comparing full retail to full retail.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Honestly, the gear S3 is the best smartwatch on the market, it just needs OK Google instead of S Voice, and more app support.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Honestly, the gear S3 is the best smartwatch on the market, it just needs OK Google instead of S Voice, and more app support.

Spec and hardware design wise, yes. Samsung's software drove it to the drawer in my nightstand.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Agreed, my gear s3 rules :)

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I suppose with wearables it's best not to just try to wait for The Latest and Greatest thing. NFC is looking like it's pretty poo poo right now, so maybe I'll get an older smartwatch.

Probably a dumb question, but if the ZenWatch 3 doesn't have GPS, I can still connect it with my phone for navigation while driving, yes?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

I suppose with wearables it's best not to just try to wait for The Latest and Greatest thing. NFC is looking like it's pretty poo poo right now, so maybe I'll get an older smartwatch.

Probably a dumb question, but if the ZenWatch 3 doesn't have GPS, I can still connect it with my phone for navigation while driving, yes?

Of course.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Sweet. Gonna order one, then. They look super nice and while HR Sensors and NFC and GPS and all that sounds nice, ultimately I don't think I need, or will even use, those features.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/watches/montblanc-summit-collection/117538-montblanc-summit-smartwatch-black-steel.html

Montblanc Wear watch. No notable special features, no NFC, starts at $890.

Yawn. Probably one of the better looking watches, I really like the polished stainless steel but you are clearly just paying for the name.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All of the LG Style watches are down to $180 at Best Buy. That's pretty much the price they should have been from the start.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Too bad its a terrible product

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

All of the LG Style watches are down to $180 at Best Buy. That's pretty much the price they should have been from the start.

Only $200 to go before I'd consider buying one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

Thanks for that I bought mine last week so I was able to go and get the difference reimbursed.

Why is it terrible?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The battery life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don Lapre posted:

The battery life.

Lasts longer than my OG360 did though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That doesn't mean its good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don Lapre posted:

That doesn't mean its good

Is there anything else wrong with it? Because it gets through a full day and I charge my phone nightly soooooooooooooo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So I wear my Urbane almost every day for notifications but I found myself occasion to use OK Google on my watch twice today for the first day in months and I forgot it works really well. I was trying to figure out the hours of two businesses and not only did it give them to me it gave me the correct name, location and business hours of one of the places even though I completely butchered the name. Like similar but not even the same word for their two word business name.

I am so in love with Google Home so I am really excited for Google Assistant on Wear.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

Is there anything else wrong with it? Because it gets through a full day and I charge my phone nightly soooooooooooooo

The original 360 used to make it through a whole day too, I wonder why it doesn't now?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Len posted:

It's a good device for you, then.

For me, on the average day, it'd be at 10 percent or lower when I went to bed. 9 holes of golf after work would undoubtedly murder it. To me this is unacceptable because I don't want it to die on any day that might be slightly longer than 'average'. My original LG watch, My Urbane, and now my Zenwatch 3 all are at 45-55 percent at the end of an average day.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Do I just have a freak of a watch, or is my use case dramatically different from everyone else? I generally burn 30% every 24 hours on my original G Watch, that's actively been in use since maybe a month after it launched. I keep my brightness at 4, and don't use always on, so maybe that's it? I reply to notifications via voice using it a couple times a day, maybe do a few actual voice commands as well, and other than that just dismiss notifications.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bull3964 posted:

If you turn off the card previews, it doesn't pop up past the initial notification. Swipe it down and forget about it.

This is amazing and is making me like my Zenwatch3 a lot more - except that it keeps turning itself back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/watches/montblanc-summit-collection/117538-montblanc-summit-smartwatch-black-steel.html

Montblanc Wear watch. No notable special features, no NFC, starts at $890.

Yawn. Probably one of the better looking watches, I really like the polished stainless steel but you are clearly just paying for the name.

Guess Wear watch.

ZTE Wear watch.