Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

thank you, i created a CBS Sports Account so I could once again prepare to clean up on points when the Northwestern Wildcats shock the world all the way to the National Championship.

Same but West Virginia and I chose most of the games based on arbitrary metrics like school name length or relative latitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Rick posted:

It's probable. The stated reason is "to see what Jordan Clarkson looks like at PG" but it also means Russell playing at the 2.

Which you'd just have to go back to last year to see but whatever.

At this point Clarkson doesn't look too good at the point. I felt like he was doing fine coming off the bench.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spoeank posted:

Skalding hot tonight.

Vlade... knew?

I said before the season that Skal had the power to become the first 3-D center. It didn't happen because several guys got there first this year (Demarcus, Marc Gasol, Embiid) and to be frank, he's out there showing some moves and awareness he never had in college. He looks vastly more complete than I ever expected.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/842236071643570177

"But but but you see tanking is soooooooo bad!"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
3 and D means that's pretty much all the player contributes. So DMC, Gasol and Embiid don't really fit. I don't think Skal does either really. If Larry Sanders, Whiteside or Bismack learned to shoot the 3 that would be a 3 and D center. Or if Meyers Leonard magically learned to play defense.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

3 and D means that's pretty much all the player contributes. So DMC, Gasol and Embiid don't really fit. I don't think Skal does either really. If Larry Sanders, Whiteside or Bismack learned to shoot the 3 that would be a 3 and D center. Or if Meyers Leonard magically learned to play defense.

I mean it used to, but there are no Bruce Bowens in the league now. Even a guy like Trevor Ariza who used to play that way does a lot of transition work, cutting, screening etc now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Danny green is the closest to a pure 3 d guy because you don't want him to ever dribble the ball.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
My guy Pat Bev has to be the only 3 and D pg though

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is a good piece.

http://theundefeated.com/features/how-black-utah-jazz-players-have-embraced-salt-lake-city/

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

the_american_dream posted:

Surely you aren't talking about Skills champion Patrick Beverly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

I mean it used to, but there are no Bruce Bowens in the league now. Even a guy like Trevor Ariza who used to play that way does a lot of transition work, cutting, screening etc now.

Tony Snell, Danny Green, Andre Roberson. I think Ariza even counts, because that other stuff is pretty rare, he's a really low usage guy and 75% of his shot attempts at 3. Basically, if you are a low usage guy who plays strong defense and most of your shots are from 3, then you are 3&D. DMC, Gasol and Embiid are star players who do lots of different things.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

George Hill????

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Matthews is probably still a 3 and D guy. I would also say Aminu, Covington and Carroll are also 3 and D guys.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would also say Aminu, Covington and Carroll are also 3 and D guys.

All of these dudes are shooting 33% or worse from 3 this year.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
E'Twaun Moore

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andre roberson should never take 3s

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

quote:

“A white family of four came in after they searched on the internet for the best fried chicken in Salt Lake City. They ordered four fried chicken dinners in honor of Dr. King,” Dasenbrock, who is Finnish, said.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

He's shooting better from 3 than Steph post all-star break #samplesize

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

About half of his shots are from 3. I dunno what the cutoff should be for a 3&D guy though.

Paul Zuvella posted:

All of these dudes are shooting 33% or worse from 3 this year.

They take a ton though, 50% or more of their shots come from beyond the arc. That tells you their role is to put those types of shots up, even if they aren't sharpshooters.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Tony Snell, Danny Green, Andre Roberson. I think Ariza even counts, because that other stuff is pretty rare, he's a really low usage guy and 75% of his shot attempts at 3. Basically, if you are a low usage guy who plays strong defense and most of your shots are from 3, then you are 3&D. DMC, Gasol and Embiid are star players who do lots of different things.

Yeah strictly speaking a 3-D center would be like, Channing Frye who morphs into DeWayne Dedmon at the half court line. And that's kind of what I was predicting for Skal, but prior to the last couple years there hadn't even been a guy who simultaneously played good defense and hit threes at the 5, other skills not withstanding. At least not that I remember.

Danny Green is definitely a still surviving example of the true 3-D wing, and in some ways comparing now to a decade ago is unfair because taking mostly threes is no longer a really distinctive feature. The league has legit stars taking ~half their shots from 3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

About half of his shots are from 3. I dunno what the cutoff should be for a 3&D guy though.

They take a ton though, 50% or more of their shots come from beyond the arc. That tells you their role is to put those types of shots up, even if they aren't sharpshooters.

When I say 3 and D, I mean guys that can defend and can reliably make 3's to the point that offense have to respect them. No one cares about Andre Roberson when the Thunders are on offense unless he's playing as a forward and cutting all the time.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Was Old Man Sheed the first and only 3 and D center?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

The co-owner of SoCo Restaurant, in downtown Salt Lake City, has even had to explain the fare to predominantly white patrons who had never heard of many of the items on the menu. One patron also called Salt Lake City’s health department after eating catfish for the first time because they thought it didn’t taste right, restaurant co-owner Andrew Dasenbrock said.

Utah people are the worst :mad:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Excuse me, old man Dirk at center won a game with a great defensive play on Harden at the rim last season. Tragically the fearsome Dirk slap doesn't show up in box scores or advanced stats.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

It is. Poor dude at the gas station getting his hopes up.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

WhyteRyce posted:

Utah people are the worst :mad:

as someone who has lived in utah, i can confirm you are speaking 100% truth.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/842416483514867712

Wade done.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ALPHA DOWN

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Where is Wade going next year? If Miami had been a lotto team I'd guess maybe there to play with the new pick. With the way their season went and how big a sickness Riley was to him during free agency, I doubt that happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao at Wade not picking up that option

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is Chicago going to be better or worse with Wade out?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

leftist heap posted:

Is Chicago going to be better or worse with Wade out?

They have a much more manageable number of Alphas now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Billl Laimbeeer did the same thing for the bad boy pistons, with Mahorn as his enforcer instead of Ben Wallace. I believe there were several ABA guys who played that way, but I only vaguely remember anecdotes from loose balls. Sheed never had great 3p fg% but he could face up and get to the basket if his defender stayed off of him and gave him a free stride.

Sheed was the best. I miss the old Detroit organization. I miss the Davidson family, I miss Arnie Kander, I miss the old season ticket people. W

Teams that are playing surprisingly well in the last month or so
Nuggets
Wolves
Blazers
Pistons?

Also, the nets are playing 6'8 Alan Williams from UCSB at nominal center and he's putting up serious numbers. When they sign Jamychal Green (Pistons can't afford him without trading Reggie Jackson) this offseason and draft the injured Edmond Sumner from fffflint town they're going to have a nice core of role players, maybe bump the next celtics pick down to 6.

Upside of all of this is that The Pistons are in place to draft Myles Bridges, so they can add to their pile of tough athletic combo forward/wings who can only shoot from the midrange.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

They have a much more manageable number of Alphas now.

One could even say there are 3-1 Alphas.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Everyone knew how bad Chicago would be this year but I found myself earnestly rooting for the 3 alphas and was disappointed they never recaptured their early success.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

unironically on the Denzel Valentine Hype Train, denzel and Bonefoot gonna lead Chicago to the promised land (the Eighth Seed)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Lmao at Wade not picking up that option

eh, I could see it happening. You could tell me that he declines and goes somewhere on the cheap to chase another ring. You could also tell me he takes the option and laughs at the Bulls front office.

Both seem equally as likely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rob Covington is a 3nD guy now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wade has to decide how much money it is worth to put up with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

eh, I could see it happening. You could tell me that he declines and goes somewhere on the cheap to chase another ring. You could also tell me he takes the option and laughs at the Bulls front office.

Both seem equally as likely.

I could also see someone like Denver overpaying Wade on a 1 year deal.

• Locked thread