Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Who loves Pocahontas in the year of our Lord 2017

I live in Virginia, I kind of get it but loving hawaii man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm surprised Hawaii is more for Mulan than Moana; thought they went bananas for that one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Our state, Florida, made a pretty good choice I must say.

Not Hawaii but ALASKA choosing Moana is kind of shocking

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Troposphere posted:

I mean...it's a costuming blog. of course they go into detail about it, that's what the whole blog is about? idgi

It's a subpar dress and I'm baffled someone could write so much about it being just... blah. I understand going into detail on the immaculate precision on the petticoats in Gone With the Wind or the lovingly hand-stitched miniature costuming in Kubo (and how the fabrics correlate with the time period, class and personality of each characters), but there's no real story with Belle's dress. It just kinda blandly sucks. It's the Delgo of dresses, not the Foodfight.

But I feel the same way about all the live-action Disney dress stuff. They're sparkly and poofy and... I guess pretty cheap-looking? Oh, costume jewelry! They remind me of really gaudy costume jewelry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect the heavy presence of Belle and Moana is due to them being the most recent in addition to general popularity. A lot of polls tend to get heavily influenced by that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got prescreeners to Beauty and the Beast later today, expect me to forget to post my impressions and if I do theyll be disjointed and useless to you, person who will obviously see this film in the next 3 days.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think I'd rather take myself to go see Lego Batman already than go see Beauty, honestly.

Though if my family offers me a ticket for it (which they probably won't, last time they offered was Moana), then I'd probably take them up on it regardless of its quality. (I mean, it's how I wound up seeing Batman v. Superman...)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have a friend desperately trying to get me to see that Last Airbender movie and I'm running out of excuses. She genuinely liked it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das Boo posted:

I have a friend desperately trying to get me to see that Last Airbender movie and I'm running out of excuses. She genuinely liked it.

I recommend Thorazine.

EDIT: At least watching The Last Airbender caused the guy who suggested it to introduce me to the series as an apology.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

wdarkk posted:

I recommend Thorazine.

EDIT: At least watching The Last Airbender caused the guy who suggested it to introduce me to the series as an apology.

Oh, huh. Maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way.
The Thorazine, not the cartoon. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Das Boo posted:

H-how? :psyduck:

It's a movie even the creators of the original series didn't want to be associated with when it came out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a hard life for a slow moving hovering rock fetishist so when a movie that comes along with a scene just for you you love it and never let it go.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Last Airbender had...good set design and costumes, I guess?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't know if it can be worse than another friend insisting on taking me to Alvin & the Chipmunks.
So is this just a thing for me, or does everyone else have otherwise good friends with tremendously bad taste in movies who thrust them upon you as a test of friendship? Who got dragged to Norm of the North?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

No way any state in the middle of the country would pick Moana or Mulan

Hey now, nobody picked the middle eastern or black princesses, we still America

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not a single Megara or Jasmine anywhere to be seen; do people just have horrible taste or are they disqualified for some reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if it can be worse than another friend insisting on taking me to Alvin & the Chipmunks.
So is this just a thing for me, or does everyone else have otherwise good friends with tremendously bad taste in movies who thrust them upon you as a test of friendship? Who got dragged to Norm of the North?

Generally no, my friends tend to have similar tastes to me and when they don't it's rarely a case of "I want you to see this thing I know you'll dislike."

We all laughed our asses as the tiny floating rock in The Last Airbender though so YMMV.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Watch it and please take notes on the parts she liked

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And even when they like an indisputably bad movie they are aware enough to admit that it's bad.

Now TV series, on the other hand..

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally no, my friends tend to have similar tastes to me and when they don't it's rarely a case of "I want you to see this thing I know you'll dislike."

We all laughed our asses as the tiny floating rock in The Last Airbender though so YMMV.

See, I would love to watch it as a riff deal. That is extremely my poo poo. I'm just dreading sitting there in abject, dour silence since it's something she genuinely enjoys and I don't want to insult her. :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I have a friend who is constantly showing me universally reviled movies and explaining why he likes them, and then I go "I KNOW RIGHT?!" :haw: and we bond over it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Das Boo posted:

I think everyone does. My older sister is the family member who has the most responsibility and has her poo poo together the most, gets to travel to Europe as part of her job and go to concerts for fun... and she loves minions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

See, I would love to watch it as a riff deal. That is extremely my poo poo. I'm just dreading sitting there in abject, dour silence since it's something she genuinely enjoys and I don't want to insult her. :(

Well, you're a good friend at least!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not a single Megara or Jasmine anywhere to be seen; do people just have horrible taste or are they disqualified for some reason

No only that but there are multiple Snow Whites who is objectively the worst princess and her hair is stupid

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

No only that but there are multiple Snow Whites who is objectively the worst princess and her hair is stupid

I feel like Snow White deserves some extra credit for coming first, and there's definitely no way anyone but Pocahontas deserves the title of worst princess.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

My mother likes Bio-Dome

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

My mother likes Bio-Dome

Oh, wooooooow. I'm sorry, but you win.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I watched Aladdin for the first time in at least 15 years last night.

Thoughts:

I really miss Robin Williams.

I also really like Jasmine as a character. I vaguely remembered Jasmine as "kind of mean." I guess teenage me thought "strong-willed" was the same as "not nice." I was wrong, because Jasmine owns. She's smart and willful and (despite the Disney trope of falling in love in one evening) presents a great message of not being a prize to be won.

Jafar is a great villain, but he goes absolutely mad at the end. His shift from cold-and-calculating to cackling mad is abrupt and happens the moment he makes his second wish. I guess absolute power corrupts absolutely. His reprise of Prince Ali ends with his mad laughter.

Is the merchant in the intro supposed to be the Genie? Because he has a lot of the same speech patterns (notably going into rapid-fire not-quite-asides after every few lines), and a lot of magical stuff happens around him casually, like his stall which appears from nothing and the glowing sand from the lamp. His motions are also extremely bouncy and over-animated.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

I also really like Jasmine as a character. I vaguely remembered Jasmine as "kind of mean." I guess teenage me thought "strong-willed" was the same as "not nice." I was wrong, because Jasmine owns. She's smart and willful and (despite the Disney trope of falling in love in one evening) presents a great message of not being a prize to be won.

At some point in production, she was intended to be kind of mean. They wrote and cut this song for her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsC98YQb6vM

Obviously, that's not the final version of the character.

(the recent stage show tried to incorporate the song again but made up some bullshit about how it was just a persona she was putting on to make her suitors go away. that's pretty clearly an ad hoc excuse for using old material incompatible with the final product, though.)

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

ConfusedUs posted:

Is the merchant in the intro supposed to be the Genie? Because he has a lot of the same speech patterns (notably going into rapid-fire not-quite-asides after every few lines), and a lot of magical stuff happens around him casually, like his stall which appears from nothing and the glowing sand from the lamp. His motions are also extremely bouncy and over-animated.

Yeah.

It was a fan theory for a long time but the director has said that it is true. Apparently the reveal got cut from the finished movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yeah.

It was a fan theory for a long time but the director has said that it is true. Apparently the reveal got cut from the finished movie.

And added to the second direct-to-video sequel, if I recall.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have a friend who is constantly showing me universally reviled movies and explaining why he likes them, and then I go "I KNOW RIGHT?!" :haw: and we bond over it.

Well, I'm glad SMG has at least one friend :unsmith:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, I thought trying to put "Call Me a Princess" into the musical was a good attempt at reusing a good song they couldn't fit into the film proper. That said, it didn't make it into the final Broadway cut, either (though I believe Jafar's "Why Me?" did, at least).

Also, I thought Jafar's snapping happened around when his arrest (and subsequent escape) did. I mean, okay, he was still sneaky enough to send Iago to steal the lamp from Aladdin, but he clearly was starting to go off the deep end to the point that Iago was calling him out on it (if only because he didn't notice the lamp as Jafar did).

And to further add to the "merchant is the Genie" theory, they're both Robin Williams, so...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

21 Muns posted:

At some point in production, she was intended to be kind of mean. They wrote and cut this song for her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsC98YQb6vM

Obviously, that's not the final version of the character.

(the recent stage show tried to incorporate the song again but made up some bullshit about how it was just a persona she was putting on to make her suitors go away. that's pretty clearly an ad hoc excuse for using old material incompatible with the final product, though.)

I know it'd get poo poo all over for bad female role model shenanigans, but a story about a dude who pursues a princess who's just a complete rear end in a top hat would be funny as hell.

:saddowns: But she's gorgeous!
:geno: She's an rear end in a top hat.
:saddowns: But she's rich!
:geno: She's an rear end in a top hat.
:saddowns: ?!?!?

She wouldn't even be the villain, just a Kuzco-grade bitch. Maybe she's so godawful that not even the villain can put up with her and the hero and villain form a romantic bond over that poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, I'm glad SMG has at least one friend :unsmith:

Nah, if anything I'm probably the more SMG-like of the two. He's a lot more caught up in "ironic" appreciation than I am, although not always.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Das Boo posted:

for animated movies, my friends refer either to me or another artist/animator friend if a animated film looks any decent, so we've never been drug to Norm of the North or Bee Movie or anything like that.

i've been the bad movie friend once and it was for Foodfight, because if i see it, EVERYONE needs to see it

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remember when Jasmine was going to get her hand chopped off for stealing food

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

ConfusedUs posted:

Adding to what others have said, The Merchant and The Genie or the only humanoid characters with four fingers instead of five.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remember when Jasmine was going to get her hand chopped off for stealing food

Oh hello doctor how are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

No no no, not that one...