Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Equilibrium was just Fahrenheit 451 for the Computer/Millennium generation. It was stylish and fun and a great popcorn flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skwirl posted:

Whenever Video Game movies comes up, everyone forgets that there are 6 Resident Evil movies

The movie going public sure forgot about the franchise when RE: Final Chapter came out in January this year. :mmmhmm:

Edit: well apart from the movie going public in China where the box office total was nearly six times as big as the US box office (and about twice the Chinese box office for Rogue One!), so I guess they're making #7 for that market. Because the domestic market sure didn't go for it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 16, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The MSJ posted:

What is better? The new Transformers movies going all GIRL POWER or the people complaining that the movie series have been taken over by SJWs?

I watched the Atomic Blonde redband trailer on pootube and oh my the comments!

quote:

Could be great, if it was without the sex scene. Why do they always need that bullshit? Yes it's natural, but it's supposed to be private. Plus the lesbian thing seems like they're trying to push an agenda.

quote:

lol this is so funny. so unrealistic. two agendas. femanazis and lgbtq pushed in one. why can't we ever have a strong female lead who isn't Butch or murdering someone or pushing a popular agenda? since when did true femininity become hated and corrupted to the point that in order to matter we had to scream and act like gay terminators?

quote:

Can i have 2 volunteers please, one man and one woman, that agree to fight till one of them is lying unconscious on the floor? It would settle this nonsensical debate over what would be a realistic outcome of a fight between the sexes once and for all. I already know what the result will be, but for all the delusional idiots it would be a great education.

quote:

loving sjw cunts. I work out a day a week at most, drink heavily, only weigh 170, and I could loving destroy Charsleez Throwup without any difficulty at all. Showing women as good shots aren't too far from the realm of possibility, cause women can be good shots. However, there isn't a women on this loving planet built like her that could physically do what she does. I hate this feminist idea that women are as strong as men. gently caress outta here...

quote:

This feminism is getting out of control. Please bring our badass male agents back!

I feel like a lot of these dudes don't quite understand why movies exist or why doing things a little different from the norm is usually a good thing. But no, feminazi lesbian agendas are being pushed, the poor straight white male is being ever more edged out of movies... Also I'd totally knock Charlize out because I am a big tough guy who clearly isn't compensating.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GrandpaPants posted:

Kids shouldn't be in action movies.

The Last Boyscout.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

Equilibrium was just Fahrenheit 451 for the Computer/Millennium generation. It was stylish and fun and a great popcorn flick.

I love it, it's a little slow in the mid bit that finish makes up for it. Almost could've been another Proyas movie, and I love his movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel like a lot of these dudes don't quite understand why movies exist or why doing things a little different from the norm is usually a good thing. But no, feminazi lesbian agendas are being pushed, the poor straight white male is being ever more edged out of movies... Also I'd totally knock Charlize out because I am a big tough guy who clearly isn't compensating.

What kind of abstained darkness must a man live in to see two beautiful actresses make out and feel only rage?

Seriously though, I can't understand what makes you genuinely hate women like this.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

got any sevens posted:

I love it, it's a little slow in the mid bit that finish makes up for it. Almost could've been another Proyas movie, and I love his movies.

I'm the opposite, I could watch hours of Christian Bale rearranging stuff on his desk as he tries to puzzle out how that makes him feel vs. the overly forced action scenes. If the setting of Equilibrium were more contemporary, Disturbed would be blazing during those scenes, it's all extremely 90's cool.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

What kind of abstained darkness must a man live in to see two beautiful actresses make out and feel only rage?

Seriously though, I can't understand what makes you genuinely hate women like this.
Why do those two get to make out with each other and I have to resort to deception and/or pharmaceuticals just to get a woman to accidentally brush up against my pangus?????

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Let's not forget that despite its many flaws and being a bad movie V for Vendetta introduced a lot of folks (like me) to the egg in a basket

Worth the price of admission imvho

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Waffles Inc. posted:

Let's not forget that despite its many flaws and being a bad movie V for Vendetta introduced a lot of folks (like me) to the egg in a basket

Worth the price of admission imvho

How have you never had toad in the hole?

edit: oh god I just googled toad in the hole and it's one of those regional things that starts derails please forgive me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Seems like one of thise things everyone has but has a different very specific name for it. Like my wife is from the other side of the US but we both knew it and enjoyed it regularly under different names.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

V for Vendetta is better than it has any right to be despite overall not being that good and having source material that hasn't aged well, most of which I put towards the amazing cast blasting their acting power in defiance over James McTeigue's directorial skills that are more suited for weird action sequences, sort of how V fights against the government. The whole mask thing being coopted by people who fight against the exact thing V was fighting for in this movie is a hilarious twist that only reality can write. It deserves a rewatch more than Ninja Assassin does, which could have been a rebuttal to not having an Asian Iron Fist a decade before the controversy even existed.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

One of the fun things about Bioshock is that it's one of those settings you could only afford to show in a video game. It's a perfect example of what you shouldn't try to adapt.

Yeah, Jupiter Ascending has this aspect of Cinderella to it where she doesn't change, but is instead recognized as different. She's very passive. She doesn't come back having grown. She comes back with rocket boots.

Note how nonsensical one of its major charms – Sharlto Copley in half a dozen roles – would be in a medium with only voice actors. It's a movie with video games as one of its reference points, but it's not something that could have ever been the result of an actual adaptation.

You could do it animated, or as a green screen special. Budgets aren't available to do that kind of animation well though, a goofy grimdark pulp cartoon has to be on the dtv DC studios scale.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The funny thing is that these movies are likely being made based on a decision of demographic spending. Someone is realizing that WOMEN are spending money, maybe lets make some movies targeted towards women?! In 2014 there were more women than men who went to see movies. It's only logical that there would be more movies with women in a dominant role.

If these idiots would only realize that they either need to spend more at the movie theater or get more men to watch movies to get what they want.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

...or just sit in the back row, dick in hand for the sex scene and maybe just enjoy the bits where dudes get shot the gently caress up? I just don't understand what's not to like.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm sorry but is someone implying an intense lesbian sex scene between two beautiful women shouldn't exist in an action movie to satiate my patriarchal male bloodlust? What inhuman monster would suggest such a thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Agreed, I gotta laugh at people who experienced some sort of drop off revisiting it later. It was always a dumb fun action movie that wore its big dumb influences on its sleeve. Sorry but if you thought it was profound at 12 u were prolly a pretty dumb 12 year old
It stands up for me cuz I never put it on a pedestal as a kid I guess. It's silly stylish poo poo, how could you have not realized that back then what with all the hamming it up almost everyone in the cast does?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TetsuoTW posted:

Keanu Reeves should never do sequels to his own movies - and I'm going to stretch that to reboots preemptively - because they're always worse than the originals.

Counterpoint, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also John Wick 2.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Agreed, I gotta laugh at people who experienced some sort of drop off revisiting it later. It was always a dumb fun action movie that wore its big dumb influences on its sleeve. Sorry but if you thought it was profound at 12 u were prolly a pretty dumb 12 year old
It stands up for me cuz I never put it on a pedestal as a kid I guess. It's silly stylish poo poo, how could you have not realized that back then what with all the hamming it up almost everyone in the cast does?

To the extent it's fallen off, I think it has more to do with the bar being seriously raised on heavily-stylized and choreographed martial arts in Hollywood action movies. Equilibrium isn't so impressive when you've seen John Wick.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still love Angus Macfadyen in that movie
"Coooooooolly...calmly..."
And the weird stupid stutter hop he does when Bale kills him
like I guess if Steven Seagal had been in the lead instead it would've been "obviously" dumb enough of a dumb action movie for you guys and you'd be nostalgically deifying it now

Sir Kodiak posted:

To the extent it's fallen off, I think it has more to do with the bar being seriously raised on heavily-stylized and choreographed martial arts in Hollywood action movies. Equilibrium isn't so impressive when you've seen John Wick.
This is a totally valid point of course but I'd apply that to the matrix as well

I haven't watched crouching tiger in a while, I wonder how well the spectacle stands up over the years (probably really well)

The "Matrix clone" movie that I loved (one of those movies where I forget if it came shortly after or shortly before the matrix) was Existenz though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sex scenes in movies are universally terrible and pointless wastes of time at best, and whenever you try and criticise them there's always a chorus of people who will call you a puritan and a prude and defend them out of some misguided attempt at appearing enlightened and sex-positive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why are they wastes of time? They are fun and often sexy. They are no more a waste of time than a good chase sequence, and often provide more characterization.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

V for Vendetta is better than it has any right to be despite overall not being that good and having source material that hasn't aged well, most of which I put towards the amazing cast blasting their acting power in defiance over James McTeigue's directorial skills that are more suited for weird action sequences, sort of how V fights against the government. The whole mask thing being coopted by people who fight against the exact thing V was fighting for in this movie is a hilarious twist that only reality can write. It deserves a rewatch more than Ninja Assassin does, which could have been a rebuttal to not having an Asian Iron Fist a decade before the controversy even existed.

I didn't see Ninja Assassin, can you clarify this part? Is the guy that plays Raizo awesome in it? Or are you saying he was bad in it and therefore people would have upheld it as a sign that Asian people should no longer play martial artists?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Guy Mann posted:

Sex scenes in movies are universally terrible and pointless wastes of time at best, and whenever you try and criticise them there's always a chorus of people who will call you a puritan and a prude and defend them out of some misguided attempt at appearing enlightened and sex-positive.

Perhaps you're just actually a prude

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

parallelodad posted:

often provide more characterization.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Precisely.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Last Boyscout.

All Shane Black movies really.

Got the joke though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I haven't watched crouching tiger in a while, I wonder how well the spectacle stands up over the years (probably really well)
The actual fights are fun. I think my favorite has to be either the restaurant brawl or the girl fight. Of course, you're getting really highly polished Kung-Fu action instead of gritty brutalistic Bourne-style fights.

The connective story is really weak, but that was the case when it premiered anyway.

quote:

The "Matrix clone" movie that I loved (one of those movies where I forget if it came shortly after or shortly before the matrix) was Existenz though.
Existenz is a good mind-bender. I also liked the 13th Floor (or whatever it was titled). Both decent movies that got swept up as poor man's Matrix flicks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Existenz's surreality is just as fun today as when it was made.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is a totally valid point of course but I'd apply that to the matrix as well

I think the general atmosphere, and cinematography, of The Matrix is stronger. But I also wouldn't totally dismiss Equilibrium. It's still a goofy-but-fun action flick, just one that isn't as novel as it used to be.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

parallelodad posted:

Why are they wastes of time? They are fun and often sexy. They are no more a waste of time than a good chase sequence, and often provide more characterization.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Sex scenes are always bad" is a bizarre opinion but this isn't the first time I've heard it. Like, what does someone who believes that do with a movie like Y Tu Mama Tambien? Do they just think it's a bad movie?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was still living at my parents' when I watched A History of Violence and that one sex scene made me really glad I wasn't watching it with my folks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

I thought Beyond was a disappointment? Didn't know a sequel was greenlit.

Not officially greenlit yet but Paramount announced back in July that they were developing another movie (originally with Payne and McKay, the original writers of Beyond who were fired). All that we know so far is that Pine and Quinto are the only cast members under contract -- they demanded huge pay raises to do Beyond, Paramount agreed on the condition that they sign new contracts with an option for a sequel -- and that the story involves George Kirk, so time travel fuckery is involved.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Existenz's surreality is just as fun today as when it was made.

I remember my friends and I watching it high and just rewinding the Chinese waiter scene over and over again laughing in loving fits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tbs3JE4rMk
it's such a wonderfully weird movie

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I remember my friends and I watching it high and just rewinding the Chinese waiter scene over and over again laughing in loving fits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tbs3JE4rMk
it's such a wonderfully weird movie

Pretty fantastic sound design here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

PriorMarcus posted:

I give zero shits about a Dragon Tattoo film without Fincher/Mara.
On one hand, I give zero fucks about the films because the other books in that series are seriously terrible but on the other hand, I am fascinated to see what they might do with them.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I love how Cronenberg managed to portray the loopy logic of a 90's point-and-click game on film. eXistenZ is a treasure.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sex scenes in a movie can be awesome. Hot Shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drive Angry would be a lesser film without the scene of Nic Cage loving, drinking, smoking, and killing.

• Locked thread