Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

If you're going to read that, might as well get this one out of the way, too.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18898859

quote:

"You'd hit BP and come off," he says, "and everything was [the media asking], 'Hey, how was it without Jose?' You had a game, and it was, 'How was it without Jose?' You went to go eat, or you went to the team bus, it was, 'How was it without Jose?' He had his funeral or this or that, and everything was for everybody else. It wasn't for us to heal from it or recover from it."

God, this poo poo.

Obviously it's not even remotely the same, but I feel like every time I watch a Marlins game, the announcers keep talking about it. Everything is framed as "the team without Jose". His death tore me up, and I feel like the announcers keep ripping the scab off with their constant "the team without Jose" running narrative. It's really hard. The media is infuriatingly insensitive, and I can't imagine how much worse it is for people who were so close to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wonder how many of his teammates knew he was a cocaine user and how many of them were/are using as well. I imagine many of them knew. I don't mean this to be callous. I hope that if he has teammates who are using, they are taking it as a wake-up call and have since reconsidered.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Poque posted:

I wonder how many of his teammates knew he was a cocaine user and how many of them were/are using as well. I imagine many of them knew. I don't mean this to be callous. I hope that if he has teammates who are using, they are taking it as a wake-up call and have since reconsidered.

I don't think it will be. Fernandez will be canonized and the whole thing will be treated as a tragedy and there will be 16 patches and tributes and retired numbers and the facts of what happened will just be one of things you don't talk about if you're a good and polite person.

Going out and boating while you're drunk and using cocaine, especially when you have a child on the way is dumb as gently caress and that's what Fernandez's legacy should be but that won't happen.

E: Yup

quote:

“No matter what the report has concluded, nothing will ever diminish Jose's everlasting positive connection with Miami and the Miami Marlins,” team President David Samson said in a statement. “Nor can it lessen the love and passion he felt for his family, friends, teammates and all his fans in South Florida and around the world.”

What he did and the consequences don't matter, what matters is his everlasting positive connection

I'm sure his daughter who will have to watch videos of daddy to get even the smallest inkling of a connection to her father will take solace in that everlasting positive connection to the city and to baseball

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 16, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
So they're canceling that permanent memorial for him right

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Have you guys considered Doyer Go?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

I don't think it will be. Fernandez will be canonized and the whole thing will be treated as a tragedy and there will be 16 patches and tributes and retired numbers and the facts of what happened will just be one of things you don't talk about if you're a good and polite person.

Going out and boating while you're drunk and using cocaine, especially when you have a child on the way is dumb as gently caress and that's what Fernandez's legacy should be but that won't happen.

E: Yup

What he did and the consequences don't matter, what matters is his everlasting positive connection

I'm sure his daughter who will have to watch videos of daddy to get even the smallest inkling of a connection to her father will take solace in that everlasting positive connection to the city and to baseball

loving stupid. If he had been driving a sports car and killed some teenagers when he ran a red light would he get this same treatment?

gently caress Jose Fernandez.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing is though that if he'd died in a drunk driving incident, it probably would have been more immediately apparent what happened and how much fault Fernandez had. Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time before details started to leak out that Fernandez was incredibly drunk and on cocaine, and even then for a long time it was argued he wasn't driving the boat. It's easier to ignore the details and focus on how well liked he was prior to his death than to walk back months of praise and good feelings because he killed three people - including himself - as a direct result of his idiocy.

e. Also Fernandez was so well liked and respected by his teammates and around baseball that I think even if he'd died as a result of drunk driving, the reaction at least within baseball & particularly the Marlins would not have changed much.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 16, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

The thing is though that if he'd died in a drunk driving incident, it probably would have been more immediately apparent what happened and how much fault Fernandez had. Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time before details started to leak out that Fernandez was incredibly drunk and on cocaine, and even then for a long time it was argued he wasn't driving the boat. It's easier to ignore the details and focus on how well liked he was prior to his death than to walk back months of praise and good feelings because he killed three people - including himself - as a direct result of his idiocy.

e. Also Fernandez was so well liked and respected by his teammates and around baseball that I think even if he'd died as a result of drunk driving, the reaction at least within baseball & particularly the Marlins would not have changed much.

Just because it's understandable doesn't mean it's right. The incident report is damning but I have no faith that MLB or the Marlins will turn Fernandez into a cautionary tale.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Introducing #ChurroDog 2.0 - everything you love about the original but now with Oreo cookie crumbs and strawberry topping. 😋 #DbacksEats

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

CubsWoo posted:

Just because it's understandable doesn't mean it's right. The incident report is damning but I have no faith that MLB or the Marlins will turn Fernandez into a cautionary tale.

This is why this news really hurts.

It always hurts when someone passes away tragically due to a preventable lapse in judgement like this. If someone gets in a fatal crash while intoxicated, it's terribly sad, at least to me. I understand, as that's something that has been a part of my life. But as soon as innocents who lose their lives are involved, other victims - it's such a different feeling. When the incident with Oscar Taveras happened, there was very little sympathy around these parts. At the time I was kind of shocked by some of the responses, but ultimately I understand.

It's one of the few zero-tolerance ethical policies I believe in. I usually support some circumstantial...wiggle room? I'm an alcoholic, and as soon as that first drink gets into my system, I hang up those keys. No exceptions.

Loss of life is sad, and when it happens like this it's sad but also so disappointing.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Capt. Sticl posted:

Introducing #ChurroDog 2.0 - everything you love about the original but now with Oreo cookie crumbs and strawberry topping. 😋 #DbacksEats

Would

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nail Rat posted:

He was the drunkest one by far, too. What the gently caress.

What a loving dumbass.

It's a tragedy that he's gone along with his 2 friends. The guy had Hall of Fame level talent, but the last thing he ever did was be a stupid loving dumbass. :( God dammit, Jose.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CubsWoo posted:

Well, and if you absolutely MUST do this, and you absolutely must speed while you're at it, maybe don't do it at 2 AM so you can kind of see the rocks through your drunk vision.

I mean, there are a lot of boxes that had to be checked off here.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is also the whole question of how they got to the marina in the first place. So it's possible they drove drunk too!

EDIT: Nevermind I actually looked at the DNR incident report and it's fairly detailed. Seems Jose lived near the marina and he took the boat out with some friend to a bar along the river were they drank for a few hours before heading out to sea where the accident happened. It even lists the drinks they ordered, it's chilling.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 16, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, there are a lot of boxes that had to be checked off here.

I thought Joe Saunders retired?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Poque posted:

The sad reality is in most pro sports athletes think they can drink and drive, smoke and drive, coke and drive, whatever. The "never need a cab home" macho attitude is the absolute loving worst. Man, Jose's family is standing to lose like 100-250 million depending on how you look at things because of a DUI on a boat. Thats insane. Shows how little he was really thinking about the potential consequences of his actions.

And I say that as someone who was a huge fan of his. Buts its pretty hosed up how these super rich athletes cant get the maturity to hire a full time sober drive for their entourage.

Sydin posted:

Because it was a boat crash in the middle of the night where he ran into a jetty with multiple people on board the boat, it was framed as a tragic accident for a decent chunk of time

For anyone that knows anything about boating culture, miami, and being out at that time of night. it was very obvious that drugs or alcohol were likely involved. It was even mentioned in this thread while we all were shocked and memoralizing him.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 16, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Your Taint posted:

What a loving dumbass.

It's a tragedy that he's gone along with his 2 friends. The guy had Hall of Fame level talent, but the last thing he ever did was be a stupid loving dumbass. :( God dammit, Jose.

This was my whole point earlier of how we make up these personalities without really knowing a true thing about ballplayers besides what we see on the field. I bet the majority of our favourite players from the 30s up to the 70s were incredibly regular DUI'ers and wife beaters. Hard to seperate the man from the myth though. Its like the whole John Lennon thing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

It's all in the hips.

You need some sort of weight shift to generate any kind of power, it generally looks like a gentle rocking motion back and forward. He looks very uncomfortable in that stance as he has all his weight back and never comes forward with it so his arms are doing all the work and he's just reaching out at the pitch. This is probably because he is having trouble catching up to major league fastballs well also being able to wait back on an offspeed pitch. So instead of striding forward and being late he's just waiting back and using only his arms to make weak contact (but at least contact). He ain't gonna get anywhere with that kind of swing.

SIDENOTE: If anyone is interested this is an awesome article I found awhile back and was the first I had ever heard of rotational hitting which is to say how baseball players swing. It really shows how so many cues that coaches tell kids and even adults is just garbage that's been regurgitated for decades because no one bothered to review what real hitters did.

http://www.efastball.com/hitting/major-league-baseball-swing-rotational-hitting/

A few pages back (I've obviously been out for a couple weeks--moved to Chicaaaago), but that vid of Josh Donaldson talking about his swing is great, too. And super quotable. "If your coach tells you to get on top of the ball, you say 'No.'"

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 16, 2017

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Poque posted:

Well they're extraordinarily rich young men and coke is pretty much the only thing you can't really be drug tested for so I'd imagine it's use is at least tolerated if not widespread. Fuckin everyone does coke

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Oh I absolutely agree with you, and I'm of the same mind as Gorman that DUI's are one of those few ethical absolutes: nothing every justifies driving (or boating, in this instance) while drunk, period. I was explaining why MLB isn't going to focus on his stupid decisions as a moral lesson, not trying to say it's okay.

patonthebach posted:

For anyone that knows anything about boating culture, miami, and being out at that time of night. it was very obvious that drugs or alcohol were likely involved. It was even mentioned in this thread while we all were shocked and memoralizing him.

That's a small subset of people though, and the majority of sports media did not frame his death as being the result of drugs or alcohol until weeks after, when bits and pieces of the story started to leak out. Granted, I don't know how much of that is because it happened on a boat and the immediate details of the incident weren't clear, or because Fernandez was so highly regarded in baseball circles that nobody wanted to be the one to bring up that it was probably the result of drugs or alcohol.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Speaking of the Marlins

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18931693

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N:

V: SPRING TRAINING DOES TOO MATTER!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This was a weird thing, and I do not know why it happened.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

N:

V: SPRING TRAINING DOES TOO MATTER!

The Detroit Tigers are a bad team that's going to be big time sellers at the deadline.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

abuse culture. posted:

Well they're extraordinarily rich young men and coke is pretty much the only thing you can't really be drug tested for so I'd imagine it's use is at least tolerated if not widespread. Fuckin everyone does coke

What?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

See post / name combo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kyle Schwarber dinged a dong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So there was a Schwarbomb today.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/26663958/v1240697083/?cid=chc

:circlefap:

e: f;b

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hawk warning

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

hawk warning

I love the resignation in Stone's voice, like, "... why did I leave the Cubs?"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Benetti owns though. I was watching some Sox spring training at the gym on close caption and you could instantly tell it was him and Stone within 2 seconds, it's so obvious how much more Stone enjoys working with him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

I love the resignation in Stone's voice, like, "... why did I leave the Cubs?"

Pretty sure it wasn't Stoney's choice

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Pretty sure it wasn't Stoney's choice

He quit because Dusty basically let the players declare war on the broadcast team (and because the team made no effort to keep Chip Caray from going to Atlanta).

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Timby posted:

He quit because Dusty basically let the players declare war on the broadcast team (and because the team made no effort to keep Chip Caray from going to Atlanta).

Chip Caray loving sucks though, imagine quitting in solidarity with someone who sucks that bad

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

elentar posted:

Chip Caray loving sucks though, imagine quitting in solidarity with someone who sucks that bad

The day Len Kasper was hired was a great day for America.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Beefiest of Lads.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A loaded gun was along the items stolen from John Rocker's car the other day. Pretty sure a randomly selected car burglar is more likely to be responsible with a gun than John Rocker, so that's a win for the people of Atlanta?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I go long stretches of time where I completely forget about John Rocker but now and then a blurb about him appears and I do a quick google and I'm reminded of what a piece of poo poo he still is.

Not going to copy/paste some of his recent quotes on the current sociopolitical climate. Not worth anyone's time or attention.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

elentar posted:

I never really understood the Chip Caray hate. I'm not saying he's good, but I think he's tolerable.

• Locked thread