Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Someone post the spanking scene.

God that's the worst thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I'm surprised there hasn't been any mega compilations of the worst gently caress ups in that show like when Puck's foot went through the background scenery...

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lepecard posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mega compilations of the worst gently caress ups in that show like when Puck's foot went through the background scenery...

yes, this is delicious.

to imagine the corruption of an original work, exploited whilst a brief intermission occurs, please imagine an elven hoove stomping endlessly a scenic hiatus, ad nauseum.

Miura Kentarou must be rolling in a pit of money somewhere...

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Why is the anime so bad? I remember the first series from years ago, and it was great to watch. Why can't they do that? Is it not popular enough to make back the money or what?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Why is the anime so bad? I remember the first series from years ago, and it was great to watch. Why can't they do that? Is it not popular enough to make back the money or what?

Director with some fairly impressive 2D chops is basically getting paid to do his undergrad 3D coursework and Berserk is invited.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

dis astranagant posted:

Director with some fairly impressive 2D chops is basically getting paid to do his undergrad 3D coursework and Berserk is invited.

To expand on this point, this is the video that gets posted every time this question comes up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Safe bet, because this is pretty wonderful as a whole.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hamelekim posted:

Complete speculation here, but I'd guess it comes down to the art.

Berserk is famous for its impossibly detailed art. For the original anime, they just simplified things a bit and it was fine. But it seems like the producers of the new anime wanted to capture that painstaking level of detail, but not spend a fortune in the process.

The only way to do that is CG. Your make your highly detailed model for each character once, and then just puppeteer them around. There have been successful CG anime before, what could go wrong?

Turns out, everything. Everything could go wrong.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the worst thing of all is that the CG model just doesn't look like Guts.

The PS4 game's model looks like Guts
The PS2 game's model looks like Guts
The fuppin Dreamcast game's model looks like Guts

It's the most simple requirement of a Berserk anything.
Make Guts look like Guts... but they failed at that too.

:negative:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Begemot posted:

Complete speculation here, but I'd guess it comes down to the art.

Berserk is famous for its impossibly detailed art. For the original anime, they just simplified things a bit and it was fine. But it seems like the producers of the new anime wanted to capture that painstaking level of detail, but not spend a fortune in the process.

The only way to do that is CG. Your make your highly detailed model for each character once, and then just puppeteer them around. There have been successful CG anime before, what could go wrong?

Turns out, everything. Everything could go wrong.

This is exactly what they did with the movies, and everyone called them out for the first movie looking like crap so they changed it so they animated the faces in 2D and keep the bodies CG and by the third movie it looked pretty drat good.

Course the movies had the advantage of being less than two hours long and with a bigger budget and more time. And competent directing. And actual working knowledge of how to frame a shot. And how to edit fights so they're coherent. And how to edit period. And how to make changes to the story that don't feel like video game sidequests. I find them to be better than the original series but while I'm in the minority on that, I think at the very least everybody can agree that the movies are far, far better than the new series.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Begemot posted:

Berserk is famous for its impossibly detailed art. For the original anime, they just simplified things a bit and it was fine.
This is why it worked so well. They knew there was no method by which to reasonably capture the art, so they went for imagination. Show enough detail to prevent screaming and allow the audience to fill in the rest with their own creativity, impressions, and imagination. Who cares that there are static panning shots... the music will help it build suspense and give the viewer time to think.

The new series is uncanny valley extreme, hiding behind awful lighting and layouts. There's no foundation on which the viewer can build a view of the world, and no reasoning behind any world they can imagine. When they've destroyed the static beauty, the delivery of action, and the story, what's the point?

But don't listen to me, I really shouldn't be so critical unless I actually watch it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The new show is trash. Trash for suckers.

Good god if madhouse had it now.

It seems clear though that nobody gives a poo poo outside of the paycheck being generated. Thats all well and good but if you got through the first season and expected it to get better, you have a mental illness.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You gotta watch the train wreck all the way to the end. Sunk cost fallacy is real.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vedius Pollio posted:

I think what just amazes me about the key-visual is how they clearly took the time of day to get all the characters in dynamic, anatomically correct poses, and then they just completely poo poo the bed on not making their faces look weird and hosed up, the part of the piece which the viewer would clearly emotionally resonate with and notice before anything else. The color scheme makes all the characters look incongruous, as though they aren't occupying the same space, and the digital effects look so amateurish it's like something ripped straight out of Deviantart.

At this point the most frustrating thing about Berserk is how unbelievably difficult it is to actually get new people into the series who are on the fence about plodding through a 40 volume manga series. The old anime has aged pretty badly as far as netflix-generation attention spans go. The movies don't really look all that impressive and dumb down the story to the point of unrecognizability, and the new TV anime is the new TV anime. There isn't really any representation of the series I can point someone to outside of the manga that isn't somehow embarrassing. We really need just one good adaptation that isn't twenty years old.

That's cus only the manga is good and they should read the manga and not the bad cartoons

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DamnGlitch posted:

The new show is trash. Trash for suckers.

Good god if madhouse had it now.

It seems clear though that nobody gives a poo poo outside of the paycheck being generated. Thats all well and good but if you got through the first season and expected it to get better, you have a mental illness.

:awesome:

literally awesome.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
There was a discussion earlier about the best way to get into this series so I thought I'd chime in with my experience.

I've been curious about Berserk for a while and a couple of weeks ago decided to try and get into it. I remember seeing a couple or so episodes from the original 90s run years ago but it failed to capture my interest at the time. I saw that there were some new movies so I decided to watch those as a way to get into Berserk initially and if I liked it, then read the manga.

So that's what I did. As a Berserk n00b, the movies were a pretty good way to get a feel for the series and its story. The animation was ropey in parts (people mention the first movie being the worst but the beginning of the second movie is also quite rough) but most of the action scenes hit their mark. I knew the manga was supposed to have superior artwork and knew that parts must have been cut in order to fit the movie format. After I finished the third movie, I then went into the manga, starting from the beginning again. I have to say, the movies do a good job of condensing the story elements and keeping to the spirit of the original work.

But, as I'm sure we can all agree, the manga is the superior product. I love manga where you can see the artist develop over time and the quality of work later in the series is astonishing.

I don't regret watching the movies. I think they're a good primer and that if a person watching them likes what they saw, they should go back and read the manga.

I'm currently nearing chapter 300 and I'm trying not to blitz through it too quickly as I know I'm fast approaching the hiatus of no escape. Then I'll have to forget about Berserk for a few years and hope the manga-ka doesn't die before he finishes this thing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbx0PAsWiKw

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

:what:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jesus christ it looks like a kid playing with action figures.

That shot of Casca hovering towards Griffith. Holy mackerel.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
A kid with a flipbook would do better. (If anyone even knows what a flipbook is these days.)

I do have to wonder at what point a group of fans will band together to produce something worthy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have to hand it to Millepensee or however you spell it
They've actually done it

They've taken something that should be actually impossible to make lovely and done it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've spent no small amount of time this week laughing ridiculously hard at Mass Effect: Andromeda's facial animation for being the worst thing of all time but "thanks" for reminding me that it's not true, Berserk 2017.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Begemot posted:

That shot of Casca hovering towards Griffith. Holy mackerel.

I had to watch that shot a couple of times, I just couldn't believe it.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

This looked so jarring. At least the camera doesn't look completely bonkers in these scenes selected to make the anime look good.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
If 3d enables more detail why is her robe lacking any texture at all? :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Textures have to be drawn and they spent all of their budget on Griffith.

Even in last years abomination, Griffith was the only consistent part where you could see attention was paid every time.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

This just makes me shed a tear of joy for the One-Punch Man anime. They mimic the comic panels where feasible for time/budget concerns. You know, instead of rubbing their naked unwashed asses on their keyboards and mice to animate this tripe.

Thanks to the Humble Monthly I have One Piece 3, and can finally say I've played a Musou game. How anyone could unlock everything in one of these without a save editor I don't know, but I'm enjoying playing 30-60 minutes every day or two and will gladly get the Berserk Musou for more of the probably identical gameplay sometime between the summer and winter Steam sales.

PS: Seriously now. Did they just loving animate her root forward and slide her foot at a slightly different speed? :smithicide:

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
i heard the one piece musou was pretty decent

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

i heard the one piece musou was pretty decent

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is one of the best musou games. I recommend it. Berserk musou to me has the most satisfying gameplay. Recently finished it. Really hope there's gonna be a Berserk 2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seriously though, their Guts model doesn't look like Guts.
It looks like a dude pretending to be Guts where you'd say "yea, I guess you tried". How do they mess up the basic thing that badly?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I have honestly given up on trying to understand the inner workings of the anime industry. I am no stranger to weird management decisions made by crusty old asian men who chainsmoke and have almost no contact with reality, but the Japanese anime industry is something else altogether.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seriously though, their Guts model doesn't look like Guts.
It looks like a dude pretending to be Guts where you'd say "yea, I guess you tried". How do they mess up the basic thing that badly?

It's like they took a default male poser model and added pieces of Guts costuming. How do you gently caress up so badly?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You gotta watch the train wreck all the way to the end. Sunk cost fallacy is real.
We're all sacrifices for the production company, and their CEO is a poorly animated Apostle.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mugticket posted:

This looked so jarring. At least the camera doesn't look completely bonkers in these scenes selected to make the anime look good.
Thanks for creating that. I understand that shot making it into the rough cut of the show, but some producer had to sign off on that. :psyduck:

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

A kid with a flipbook would do better. (If anyone even knows what a flipbook is these days.)
:yeah: flipbooks were awesome.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Jedah posted:

We're all sacrifices for the production company, and their CEO is a poorly animated Apostle.

But then who's the Idea of Evil?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mraagvpeine posted:

But then who's the Idea of Evil?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao, the PS2 game is legitimately better animated and directed

I hope fans in Japan are doing everything they can to voice how much this absolutely loving sucks to the company in charge of this, god drat

e: also, gently caress, the PS2 cutscene from earlier really makes me miss the old voice actors

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol