Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Produce better ones.
- F1's feeder system has always been Europe focused and based. This has never seemed to bother South American, Australian, or Japanese drivers.

While there is some kart racing, quarter midgets is where most kids seem to go in America. That pushes the talent towards oval racing.

America is a unique place, and I dont think f1 its ever going to be more than a niche product here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They do love stuff they can vote on by phone though. Liberty are experts at this, they have connections and resources Bernie could only have dreamed of if he wasn't such a Luddite who thought that VHS was a bit newfangled and worthless as he didn't understand how to program the timer. I've seen only good from Liberty so far, and put it this way, they can't exactly make it worse.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

bringing in an american series that's not seen as the top level series will end up like major league soccer.

MLS is not a good example, they have the most unfathomably idiotic and incompetent management. Soccer as a sport has a ton of fans in the US, most of them simply ignore MLS.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

daslog posted:

While there is some kart racing, quarter midgets is where most kids seem to go in America. That pushes the talent towards oval racing.

America is a unique place, and I dont think f1 its ever going to be more than a niche product here

Does it? America has a pretty big road racing culture too, and has produced some fine drivers in that discipline in the past. Just none recently.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

Super Formula and Super GT are quite large.

Full confession. I loving love both of these series.

Super formula basicly has pit ninjas

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, the much more important reason why Americans are drawn to oval racing is because NASCAR is incredibly popular and thus is seen as the end goal for most young drivers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

MLS is not a good example, they have the most unfathomably idiotic and incompetent management. Soccer as a sport has a ton of fans in the US, most of them simply ignore MLS.

This makes it sound like MLS is the perfect example to compare to F1.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'd wager the success of EPL in the US in the past decade or so was probably at least some factor in Liberty thinking F1 can do much better than it has here

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think the closest thing in the US to anything resembling an open-wheel European feeder series was the Formula Atlantic cars. Also there is F4 now as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feeder series are dead end for anyone but rich bitches

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This makes it sound like MLS is the perfect example to compare to F1.

I guess we will have to see what Liberty tries? MLS fails because their attempt at appealing to Americans is "blindly copy everything other American leagues do," which doesn't work because American soccer fans get into the sport precisely because it is a different thing. So if Liberty's attempts at selling the sport in the US involves copying NASCAR, for example, then yeah, that's a good comparison.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
As i sit here in the dentist waiting room, I am reading an article about Mclaren asking Mercedes if they can lease the engines intended for manor.

They are probably trying to scare honda into getting their act together, but is laugh if they did it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

maybe turn indy into a feeder series instead of a last chance series.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

daslog posted:

As i sit here in the dentist waiting room, I am reading an article about Mclaren asking Mercedes if they can lease the engines intended for manor.

They are probably trying to scare honda into getting their act together, but is laugh if they did it.

No I genuinely think they are looking for a new engine after what's going to be the third embarrassing year in a row.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think the closest thing in the US to anything resembling an open-wheel European feeder series was the Formula Atlantic cars. Also there is F4 now as well.

Formula BMW and Star Mazda were also very popular series, even beyond the local level. They were even usually on (deep cable) TV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

There's more than enough room in the US for both IndyCar and F1 to exist and thrive, especially now that NASCAR no longer has an iron grip on motorsport in this country (and doesn't look like they're ever going to figure out how to get back there).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd love for the two sports to be healthy side by side?

I think those gimics where they put a f1 and indy driver in each others cars are loving :magical:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Lol if anything F1 is the feeder series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TurboDrizzle posted:

Lol if anything F1 is the feeder series.

F1 is the feeder series in that once you're deemed to be too poo poo(or too poor) for F1, all you're left with is indy, or if you're over 35, WEC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

F1 was too poo poo for Big Juan

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

F1 was too poo poo for Big Juan

remember that time he won a nascar race

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Juan Pablo Montoya as a loving gift you guys shut up

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Montoya is like Andretti-level in terms of being quick across so many different motorsports.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

8 am on a sunday, a bowl of fruit loops, a bottle of beer and some formula 1, that's my church, can i get an AMEN

edit: gently caress australia, china, malaysia, japan. every other race is 8-9am or 1-3pm here.

Few things in the F1 season beat waking up early on a Sunday in spring to have a toasted bagel and a beer while the Monaco GP starts.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I feel far less guilty about my alcohol consumption knowing you people are cracking one open as soon as you're up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I feel far less guilty about my alcohol consumption knowing you people are cracking one open as soon as you're up.

:420:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I watch F1 while either drinking or being hungover. Occasionally both.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

It's not drinking before noon if you're vicariously participating in an event occuring after noon in it's own time zone.

Pretty sure that's in the charter of rights and freedoms.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I watch F1 while either drinking or being hungover. Occasionally both.

Overwhelmingly hungover but the Asian and north american races are the only ones I will usually drink during.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

It's not drinking before noon if you're vicariously participating in an event occuring after noon in it's own time zone.

Pretty sure that's in the charter of rights and freedoms.

Yup, that's definitely in the charter IIRC.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

Stop being such a loving little poo poo:

You keep talking about lowering sanctioning fees as if all that's going to do is cut into Liberty's revenue. The point is that sanctioning fees SHOULDN'T be a primary source of revenue, and that lowering them allows the sport to grow and actually generate MORE money. This is a problem that needs to be solved, and presumably will be solved, and constantly idolizing Bernie's broken way of doing things is idiotic. Running a business by bankrupting the people your business depends on is not a good way to make money long-term. I don't know a better way of hammering this comically simple message into your brain.

You're making poo poo up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Produce better ones.
- F1's feeder system has always been Europe focused and based. This has never seemed to bother South American, Australian, or Japanese drivers.

This is because you can't make that much money being a domestic South American or Japanese racer, while NASCAR pays a shitload compared to Brazilian F3 or some poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

move along, champ

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You seem to have wicka mistaken for learnincurve

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be fair that is how the American health insurance industry runs.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Alain Post posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I work in the health insurance industry and Bernie should be an industry spokesperson.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

This is because you can't make that much money being a domestic South American or Japanese racer, while NASCAR pays a shitload compared to Brazilian F3 or some poo poo.

I'm not too familiar with the US ladder. Don't NASCAR hopefuls follow a different path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alain Post posted:

To be fair that is how the American health insurance industry

• Locked thread