Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope they don't add more achievements for japan because i already have the two. i want more korea stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Man am I tired of hearing about Persona 5. It feels like it's been coming out for 3 years.

It's been longer than that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just want to hang out in the most stylish JRPG ever and also talking to enemies returns to Persona and I am so ready for that

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm really looking forward to Prey.

I'll get ME:A on a heavy discount in a year and play it with an ugly Shepard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

I'm really looking forward to Prey.

I'll get ME:A on a heavy discount in a year and play it with an ugly Shepard.

didn't realize it had face scanning

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Prey actually looks like it'll be a pretty good time. I never played the original so I don't have that "I wish we were getting an actual sequel to that" thing to get out of the way, which helps, but the gameplay they've showed off looks really promising. Like the System Shock follow-up I've been waiting for, but also I can use alien powers to turn into a coffee cup.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I was really disappointed when they canned the alien bounty hunting Prey sequel, but what we're getting instead looks just as good in a different way.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is the new Prey going in the System Shock 2 creeping horror direction? I've not heard that much about it honestly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

Is the new Prey going in the System Shock 2 creeping horror direction? I've not heard that much about it honestly.

It's a slow-paced, exploration-driven FPS-RPG where the enemies are weird sketchy-looking black blobs that can transform into objects in the environment to ambush you. The only friendly voice you hear is your invaded, disabled spaceship's AI. I'd link you to one of the gameplay videos that came out last month but the beginning of the game has a pretty cool moment that I'm kind of bummed was spoiled for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Harrow posted:

I just want to hang out in the most stylish JRPG ever

:confused:

Phantasium posted:

It's been longer than that.

What an endless nightmare. I guess I should get ready for this summer when people start talking about how excited they are about Persona 6.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

looking at some mass effect andromeda stuff it looks like they tried to do the witcher thing and replace a lot of dialogue with poo poo like knowing looks and exasperated sighs but failed miserably. my god, those loving eyes

even if you manage to ignore the godawful animations the story is truly staggering in its hackyness. loving bioware was too cowardly to actually change anything in their reboot so we have all the same races, same plot devices, gently caress even the citadel is back.

babypolis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 16, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if TWEWY still holds up if you're not 15

At the time I thought this guy was extremely cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfQXSIpzYJo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I played it in my 20s when I was well over my anime phase and I still really liked it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo good point, TWEWY owns.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if TWEWY still holds up if you're not 15

Like Lurdiak, I played it in my 20s and out of my anime-watching phase and still loved it. It's just a real drat good game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah TWEWY has a pretty cool style that actually works in the game's context, boobholster villain character aside. huge shame they never capitalized on making a sequel for the WiiU but maybe there's hope for the Switch, would be a real killer app.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not sure I'd want a sequel. A big part of the game is figuring out the context of the weird events, and I'd be worried they'd try to up the ante with even more twists and convoluted rules in a sequel, which could get really stupid really fast. I'm ok with it existing as its own little thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm going to kiss persona 5

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

oddium posted:

i'm going to kiss persona 5

now thats what im talking about

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i hope they don't add more achievements for japan because i already have the two. i want more korea stuff

I'm looking forward to the China changes most

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Like Lurdiak, I played it in my 20s and out of my anime-watching phase and still loved it. It's just a real drat good game.

Lurdiak posted:

I played it in my 20s when I was well over my anime phase and I still really liked it.

That's cool, it was one of my favourite games ever at the time so I'm glad it holds up

I was hoping there might be something in the works after that iphone version they did but I guess not

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a sequel. A big part of the game is figuring out the context of the weird events, and I'd be worried they'd try to up the ante with even more twists and convoluted rules in a sequel, which could get really stupid really fast. I'm ok with it existing as its own little thing.

Yeah, look what they did to Kingdom Hearts.

TWEWY was cool because it was like I was playing FFVI again (the first turn based RPG I touched, I believe) where everything was new, interesting, and a bit confusing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

That's cool, it was one of my favourite games ever at the time so I'm glad it holds up

I mean it's still probably cooler if you're a teen, let's be real.

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, look what they did to Kingdom Hearts.

TWEWY was cool because it was like I was playing FFVI again (the first turn based RPG I touched, I believe) where everything was new, interesting, and a bit confusing.

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, TWEWY is also by far the game where Nomura's weird-rear end outfit designs works best, because the entire game's visual direction is about hyperstyle, expressive graffiti and loud fashion. It's not like FFX where it just looks like some characters messed up really bad getting dressed in the morning.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 16, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress me the customization in MA:E actually looks kinda neat... but everything else is so loving horrid

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phantasium posted:

idk my Switch tells me I've been playing Zelda for 40 hours or something and I only did a second dungeon the other day and have yet to uncover more than 50% of the map. I think I'm covered for a while.

Where is the playtime counter

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ethanol posted:

Where is the playtime counter

It's really vague and only comes up like a week after you've been playing and is under your account listing in the top left.

Like it literally said on mine "40 or more hours".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TWEWY is fun but going back to it I found I just didn't enjoy the combat that much. I think I just don't like touch screen movement controls. I found the earlier parts of the game a lot better than I remembered going in aware of the context though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey thread, thanks for turning me on to DropMix, that looks truly insane and a return to form for Harmonix.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey thread, thanks for turning me on to DropMix, that looks truly insane and a return to form for Harmonix.

What looks so cool about it isn't even the ability to read the cards like it does, but that whatever magical coding nonsense they do makes it so all the songs change their tempo and poo poo so that the music always meshes nicely. Maybe that kind of thing is actually super easy to do but I aint no coder man so that poo poo is magic to me

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Macaluso posted:

What looks so cool about it isn't even the ability to read the cards like it does, but that whatever magical coding nonsense they do makes it so all the songs change their tempo and poo poo so that the music always meshes nicely. Maybe that kind of thing is actually super easy to do but I aint no coder man so that poo poo is magic to me

Musical theory is supposedly very mathematical at the core (I don't have any knowledge about it and could very well be talking at my rear end) but I can imagine the real magic is getting a good musician well-versed in music theory who is also a good coder. Putting it all together - that can't be easy.

The one thing I didn't see is if the DropMix gameboard (or whatever you call that card playing field) can ouput audio to an external source. I got a big receiver that's just DYING to blast those mixes at high volume.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Musical theory is supposedly very mathematical at the core (I don't have any knowledge about it and could very well be talking at my rear end) but I can imagine the real magic is getting a good musician well-versed in music theory who is also a good coder. Putting it all together - that can't be easy.

The one thing I didn't see is if the DropMix gameboard (or whatever you call that card playing field) can ouput audio to an external source. I got a big receiver that's just DYING to blast those mixes at high volume.

It connects via bluetooth to tablets/phones. So as long as you can connect to said device via aux or bluetooth you're golden.

I like that in the twitch stream one of the guys said he thought a DJ was playing a set, but it was actually people playing the game once he went round the corner. I was sold as soon as I heard The Weekend singing with some guitar riffs and A Tribe called Quest's beats. That and the gorgeous art on those cards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

there's a spongebob gcn pad, too. and of course as i previously posted, come back when you have the wu-tang clan controller.

I have no use for a gcn pad unless Wii modding has come much much further in the past half decade, and the Wu-Tang controller just looks awful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nasgate posted:

It connects via bluetooth to tablets/phones. So as long as you can connect to said device via aux or bluetooth you're golden.

I like that in the twitch stream one of the guys said he thought a DJ was playing a set, but it was actually people playing the game once he went round the corner. I was sold as soon as I heard The Weekend singing with some guitar riffs and A Tribe called Quest's beats. That and the gorgeous art on those cards.

Awesome, thanks man.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my 'and we're' video fuckin blew up. i kinda want to do a tiny cartoon about ME andromeda too but idk if i can really outdo the humor of the actual game gifs

so im going to play stardew valley for a while instead for now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this thread has moved way too fast this month, how's everyone been doing

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

After years of exhaustive research, I have found the ultimate lethal dose of 90s gaming aesthetic on Youtube today, so not half bad!

How are you, Looper?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Frostbite is a rendering engine, it does not control art direction. ME has the same lighting engine, but it's not lighting photoscanned real life assets like is happening in Battlefield, for example.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't know if I'm more surprised that Red Bull still exists in 2097 or that it existed in 1996

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Earth Table posted:

After years of exhaustive research, I have found the ultimate lethal dose of 90s gaming aesthetic on Youtube today, so not half bad!

How are you, Looper?

please drive and game safely, friend

I'm good though! Been playing Ogre Battle 64 since it came out on wii u vc. Strongly tempted to get Zelda but I wanna wait until I have more time to sink into it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

ME1 is a G5F4
ME2 is a G2F2
ME3 is a G5F5.

I like your scale, so I'm going to compare baseline and then score recent games I've been playing.

ME1 is a G4F3
ME2 is a G5F4
ME3 is a G3F5.

So with that baseline, here's:

Horizon Zero Dawn is a G4F4
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a G5F3
Picross e4 is a G2F4
Doom 4 is a G3F5
Mortal Combat XL is a G3F3
Monster Hunter Generations is a G3F5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU