Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Testikles posted:

Some rough math.

Hank probably makes anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000 a year. It was really hard to pin down what an assistant manager would make because there isn'ta lot of info, but one article estimated Hank makes about $43,000 which seems a little low. I got a range of anywhere from maybe $20,000 to $100,000 for a full manager, depending on what exactly they're managing. It's a small store, independently run, and Buck is doing very well for himself clearly, so Buck is likely the one earning the 100K. Buck would not pay Hank that much, and because he keeps Hank as an assistant manager, he probably has the ability to pay him a lot less. My unscientific wager is that he probably makes something closer to $50,000. He is likely not near the high-end because he worries about budgeting but he is not strapped for cash and has money for things like his lawn, his truck, house renovations, etc. and raising Bobby.

Peggy contributes very little to the household finances. She'd get paid $90.00 a day in Texas as a certified substitute teacher. If she is a busy substitute teacher (which she probably isn't because her main territory is Arlen), she might work 60% of the school year, and bring home maybe a total of $8,000 to $9,000. If she really does manage to get a lot of work and we're really generous and say she's subbing 80% of the year, she's only pulling in $13,000 at best.

The Hill household probably has a combined income of anywhere from $48,000 to $83,000. I'd say it's likely something like (rounding up) $60,000 a year. Arlen likely has a low cost of living so it goes even further, combined with Hank's frugality. They aren't rich (though when you consider many parts of America they're rather wealthy), but they are very comfortable. It also demonstrates why Hank losing his job to Mega-Lo Mart was so disastrous. They'd go from a household income of $60,000 to something closer to $23,000 if Hank worked full-time hours (estimated 2080 hours a year with $7.25 minimum wage).

*All numbers based on 2017 numbers.

"Pump jockey! Works for tips!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

King Possum III posted:

Good God, you've got a fat neck Hank!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is the episode where bill gets his legs back and beats up the doctor considered a win for bill?

Nah, cause bill was an idiot from the beginning

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hank also has money coming in from his secret oil fields

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gaunab posted:

Nah, cause bill was an idiot from the beginning

The Heat Waver episode ends nicely, but it bugged me how hard they were on Bill at first when the ungodly skin blistering heat made him quit for a bit.

What do goons think about the pyramid scheme episode where cruelty on Bill makes him receptive, but kindness is a turn off?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

What do goons think about the pyramid scheme episode where cruelty on Bill makes him receptive, but kindness is a turn off?

Outside of childhood you have to work with whatever hangups someone has. If someone isn't used to excessive positive reinforcement they'll be suspicious and frightened of rejection or an ulterior motive, whereas negative reinforcement is their 'norm' and makes them more assured that everything is going right. Basically Peggy isn't a shrink and shouldn't be there to fix Bill.

As an aside, I do like how they handle Bill outside clumsily redacting the Laoma episode; he's not a bad person, just a broken one unused to success, and people who aren't used to having an advantage typically go overboard with it. The lesson from the Bulk Buddies episode isn't "Bill would be an rear end in a top hat if he hadn't gotten out of shape", it's "Bill becomes unhealthily focused on the few lights in his life, and clings desperately to them". Same with his adopted son.

Though I will say Bulk Buddies is another elisode that feels like the writers got lost in their own plot; there's a -shitload- of foreshadowing with cardio, to the point that you expect muscle-Bill to fail the test because he cant last 2 minutes on a treadmill. Instead he shits out his organs (which is a more dramatic ending I guess, so it's not THAT big a deal).

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

King Possum III posted:

Neurolimal posted:

Outside of childhood you have to work with whatever hangups someone has. If someone isn't used to excessive positive reinforcement they'll be suspicious and frightened of rejection or an ulterior motive, whereas negative reinforcement is their 'norm' and makes them more assured that everything is going right. Basically Peggy isn't a shrink and shouldn't be there to fix Bill.

As an aside, I do like how they handle Bill outside clumsily redacting the Laoma episode; he's not a bad person, just a broken one unused to success, and people who aren't used to having an advantage typically go overboard with it. The lesson from the Bulk Buddies episode isn't "Bill would be an rear end in a top hat if he hadn't gotten out of shape", it's "Bill becomes unhealthily focused on the few lights in his life, and clings desperately to them". Same with his adopted son.

Though I will say Bulk Buddies is another elisode that feels like the writers got lost in their own plot; there's a -shitload- of foreshadowing with cardio, to the point that you expect muscle-Bill to fail the test because he cant last 2 minutes on a treadmill. Instead he shits out his organs (which is a more dramatic ending I guess, so it's not THAT big a deal).

two types of posts in threads about good poo poo

which one is the good kind? It's a mystery

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I agree Bill has success issues, but I don't think it's that he doesn't recognize the idea. He was, as has been pointed out, the real star of his high school football team, and he left Arlen a proud young soldier with a bright career ahead. Bill peaked early, or at least I bet that's how he feels. His grasping at the few lights in his life (a very good way to put it) is him fighting the entropy he fears from experience.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
that placebo drug ruined his life

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
what if that was a lie, because the military didnt want the world to know they created a Bill

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hank also has money coming in from his secret oil fields

I use secret Asian watering technique!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

what if that was a lie, because the military didnt want the world to know they created a Bill

I would not fess up to the Walrus X program either, tbh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Operation Infinite Walrus could've stopped the commies in their tracks if they ever came swarming across the Bering Straits.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I wanna sale propane and propane accessories when I grow up. If my grades are good enough

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Testikles posted:

Some rough math.

Hank probably makes anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000 a year. It was really hard to pin down what an assistant manager would make because there isn'ta lot of info, but one article estimated Hank makes about $43,000 which seems a little low. I got a range of anywhere from maybe $20,000 to $100,000 for a full manager, depending on what exactly they're managing. It's a small store, independently run, and Buck is doing very well for himself clearly, so Buck is likely the one earning the 100K. Buck would not pay Hank that much, and because he keeps Hank as an assistant manager, he probably has the ability to pay him a lot less. My unscientific wager is that he probably makes something closer to $50,000. He is likely not near the high-end because he worries about budgeting but he is not strapped for cash and has money for things like his lawn, his truck, house renovations, etc. and raising Bobby.

Peggy contributes very little to the household finances. She'd get paid $90.00 a day in Texas as a certified substitute teacher. If she is a busy substitute teacher (which she probably isn't because her main territory is Arlen), she might work 60% of the school year, and bring home maybe a total of $8,000 to $9,000. If she really does manage to get a lot of work and we're really generous and say she's subbing 80% of the year, she's only pulling in $13,000 at best.

The Hill household probably has a combined income of anywhere from $48,000 to $83,000. I'd say it's likely something like (rounding up) $60,000 a year. Arlen likely has a low cost of living so it goes even further, combined with Hank's frugality. They aren't rich (though when you consider many parts of America they're rather wealthy), but they are very comfortable. It also demonstrates why Hank losing his job to Mega-Lo Mart was so disastrous. They'd go from a household income of $60,000 to something closer to $23,000 if Hank worked full-time hours (estimated 2080 hours a year with $7.25 minimum wage).

*All numbers based on 2017 numbers.

I think the other big thing people forget is that Hank is the type of dude to have one credit card he uses for "special occasions"; i.e., buying a brand new bone for Ladybird. I doubt that guy carries any kind of revolving debt.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Testikles posted:

Good God, you've got a fat neck Hank!

Probably my favorite line. It comes out of absolutely nowhere, and Cotton sounds loving outraged when he says it.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Why the hell did Peggy think showing the Cowboys a mouse being eaten by a viper would convince them to move their training camp. Then she ends up sabotaging the whole thing, as she always does.

Peggy and Bill would make a good couple.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Houle posted:

Peggy and Bill would make a good couple.

Yeah but could you imagine how awful their kid would be?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah but could you imagine how awful their kid would be?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ElGroucho posted:

I think the other big thing people forget is that Hank is the type of dude to have one credit card he uses for "special occasions"; i.e., buying a brand new bone for Ladybird. I doubt that guy carries any kind of revolving debt.

Idk man he did forget to pay for his insurance that one time

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Not a Children posted:

Idk man he did forget to pay for his insurance that one time

And let's not forget the incident with overdue video tape rentals.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I said that specifically so someone would post this exact gif. It's my favorite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bobby needed a good beating.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

sassassin posted:

Bobby needed a good beating.

Lol no Hank needed to make peace with their differences, his open contempt for Bobbys interests was probably more damaging than letting Bobby do them in the first place

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bobby's interests ain't right

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
"You're not my buckle bunny."

"Oh yes I am :)"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wicker Man posted:

"You're not my buckle bunny."

"Oh yes I am :)"

Lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
But it was great when Hank was making a new Chip Block and made a Bobby instead :3:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

He has one credit card he carries for emergencies and the only other one he might have he used to get a discount on a dryer.

Breaking down their finances. Hank and Peggy probably put the generally accepted 10% into a 401K. So that leaves them with $54,000. I vaguely recall reading in this thread Hank might have already paid off most of the house, but assuming he has a regular mortgage, and Hank being Hank, he probably has a stupidly short one to get things over with and pay it all off as fast as possible. Let's assume a 15 year mortgage (why not), and he has another roughly $15,000 a year to pay off a likely $180,000 house (about the median value). Keeping the math simple that leaves him with $39,000. He also has to pay property tax (there is no income tax in Texas) which is 1.94% but to make the math easier let's make it a flat $4,000. The Hills have $35,000 or just under $3,000 a month for all three of them for groceries, bills, truck payments and so on. That's still pretty good considering.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Cosmik Slop posted:

Probably my favorite line. It comes out of absolutely nowhere, and Cotton sounds loving outraged when he says it.

Just one more reason Hank is a failure to Cotton.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Testikles posted:

He has one credit card he carries for emergencies and the only other one he might have he used to get a discount on a dryer.

Breaking down their finances. Hank and Peggy probably put the generally accepted 10% into a 401K. So that leaves them with $54,000. I vaguely recall reading in this thread Hank might have already paid off most of the house, but assuming he has a regular mortgage, and Hank being Hank, he probably has a stupidly short one to get things over with and pay it all off as fast as possible. Let's assume a 15 year mortgage (why not), and he has another roughly $15,000 a year to pay off a likely $180,000 house (about the median value). Keeping the math simple that leaves him with $39,000. He also has to pay property tax (there is no income tax in Texas) which is 1.94% but to make the math easier let's make it a flat $4,000. The Hills have $35,000 or just under $3,000 a month for all three of them for groceries, bills, truck payments and so on. That's still pretty good considering.

He probably pays quite a bit for homeowner's insurance, and he'd definitely want good policies on his truck and Peggy's car.

He'd have medical coverage on himself, Peggy, and Bobby too. Buck Strickland would probably skimp as much as possible on insurance for his employees, so Hank's premiums would be rather high, and deducted from his paycheck.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Testikles posted:

No joke, more than a few of my relatives on my mother's side do exactly this type of thing.

I just realized I was raised by Hank Hills.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I'm not selling my jetski to that little jackass.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Heh heh the last thing I need is another credit card....... I've already got one

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

King Possum III posted:

He probably pays quite a bit for homeowner's insurance, and he'd definitely want good policies on his truck and Peggy's car.

He'd have medical coverage on himself, Peggy, and Bobby too. Buck Strickland would probably skimp as much as possible on insurance for his employees, so Hank's premiums would be rather high, and deducted from his paycheck.

That makes sense and fits in with why Hank can be actually worried about money and when he sits Bobby down to discuss finances, Bobby is shocked at how much is actually leftover for fun things.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A thing I never appreciated until now was Hank repeatedly misquoting MLK jr in the episode with the black repair guy

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Just watched the episode where Hank coaches the Strickland softball team. I never caught Boomhauer asking for a bribe before he decides his call before.

"Hey man can you get me some dang ol' Ranger tickets?"

"No..."

"SSSSTRIKE ONE!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Testikles posted:

I guess a few other things I want to maybe bring into this that could maybe help figure out how much the Hill house/income is amounts to is:

-Don't most/all of the rest of the cast live in the same block? Would their incomes and homes be enough to live in the same area if a home were $180K, or do their homes come across as being $120k-180K homes?
-When Hank and the gang wanted to rent the house and turn it into a sort of clubhouse until Luann rents it, instead, sas there either any discussion of what the monthly rent was (even split between 4 people as Hank and Luann would have both ended up doing) that might give a good indicator of what real estate values were in their particular neighborhood or the incomes? Given Hank and his buddies would all have the disposable income for the clubhouse dream, it might give some hints to either income and/or property values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The propane company has like 15 employees it is a plot point in the episode where Hank hired the junkie. No way buck strickland pays for any employee health ins