Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm interested in this game. Noob to Nier. Is this game cool, fun, and accessible for noobs that like Metal Gear and Souls games? Will this game have DLC?

Also when the PC version comes out, plz let me know how well it runs and what your system setup is. The recommended GPU is well over what I have, but I'm equal or better on everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The game is definitely accessible. It's nothing at all like Metal Gear or the Souls series though. Have you ever played/seen Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising? The gameplay was done by that studio. It's a character action game with shoot-em-up elements mixed in. It's also technically an RPG with leveling and quests and stuff.

The story is written by a weirdo, but he's a weirdo who knows how to write really well (and you like Metal Gear so you're no stranger to weird stories).

DLC is unknown at this time. The developer is interested but there isn't anything in the works.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 16, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

HellCopter posted:

DLC is unknown at this time. The developer is interested but there isn't anything in the works.
No "meaningful" DLC for Nier

Apparently Square said there wasn't enough budget to make any DLC worth speaking of. Boo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i mean at the same time that is coming from the mouth of the man who said "you shouldn't expect to much from this game" so i dont know your milage may vary

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a character action game because that implies more depth to NieR's combat than there is. It's extremely tight and good for an Action RPG.

It's not technically also an RPG, it's an RPG to its very core.

The game isn't like Souls or Metal Gear in most ways, but it's easy to pick up and play, with Easy mode enabling it to essentially auto play should you want it to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RanKizama posted:

No "meaningful" DLC for Nier

Apparently Square said there wasn't enough budget to make any DLC worth speaking of. Boo.

Is it weird that in 2017, i'm genuinely relieved that I can just buy this game, play it, and then not worry about having important story or action content gated behind a paywall? Like, DLC is great because you get more game, but its pretty refreshing to hear "Well, this is our game, and we shipped it finished with all the stuff we wanted to put in".

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
So, the very first thing PC players are going to do it noclip through those unopenable locked doors, right?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm debating grabbing Drakengard 3, despite not having played the first two, to give a try later this year - loved Nier and really looking forward to Automata, but is D3 worth the time? I've taken the time to watch a video or two and yeah, it looks like neither the graphics nor the gameplay are particularly fantastic, but frankly, that was true about Nier and the sum was still more than the whole. Not to derail, but worth it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Drakgangard 3 is unplayable on a technical level. Like single digit frames when there's anything decent on the screen.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

I'm debating grabbing Drakengard 3, despite not having played the first two, to give a try later this year - loved Nier and really looking forward to Automata, but is D3 worth the time? I've taken the time to watch a video or two and yeah, it looks like neither the graphics nor the gameplay are particularly fantastic, but frankly, that was true about Nier and the sum was still more than the whole. Not to derail, but worth it?

of the drakengard/nier games, its my least favorite tbh, though i think that has more to do with the writing in it than anything else. the best parts of it are in a set of dlc and even then it is still okay. yoko taro apparently wasn't in a lead position if i remember correctly and i think it shows over all.

also the game isnt very fun to play but hahah a fun drakengard

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd really recommend just going with The Dark Id's LP for Drakengard 3.
https://lparchive.org/Drakengard-3/

It has all the good stuff, he loved that poo poo so we don't have to. I'd recommend all of his stuff as a whole though, not just the Nier related ones.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

of the drakengard/nier games, its my least favorite tbh
More than 2? The one with Not-Tidus in it and a bunch of other cringy JRPG cliches?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

HellCopter posted:

The game is definitely accessible. It's nothing at all like Metal Gear or the Souls series though. Have you ever played/seen Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising? The gameplay was done by that studio. It's a character action game with shoot-em-up elements mixed in. It's also technically an RPG with leveling and quests and stuff.

The story is written by a weirdo, but he's a weirdo who knows how to write really well (and you like Metal Gear so you're no stranger to weird stories).

Cool. I'm interested because it looks cool and it seems unlike anything I usually play. Souls and Metal Gear are just guideposts. Weird is my jam.

No meaningful DLC makes it more likely I will buy soon instead of my usual wait for the GOTY Edition strategy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pre-Load booooyyz!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

there is part of me that is sad that automata because i got a weird sense of entitlement from playing all the jank for Yoko Taro's poop

like the misery is part of the experience

VolticSurge posted:

More than 2? The one with Not-Tidus in it and a bunch of other cringy JRPG cliches?

that game was at least playable. also everytime caim showed up the game became much better

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Pre-Load booooyyz!

Awesome
can't wait for my pc friends to enjoy this

and eventually post 4K screens of my friend A2 not 2B's butt, pervs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

HellCopter posted:

So, the very first thing PC players are going to do it noclip through those unopenable locked doors, right?

You can look through them in debug mode, they're just elevators with nothing attached, though if they had done any work there I guess it would be unloaded until you were actually "riding" the elevator anyway.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Whose got the best PC price?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Whose got the best PC price?

I've read a lot about green man gaming but I don't think you can use steam refunds with a code so maybe that isn't the best idea incase it's not for you?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:siren: GREETINGS PEOPLE WHO ARE COMING TO THIS THREAD AFTER PURCHASING THE GAME FROM STEAM :siren:

If you never played the original NieR and want a 15 minute recap so you can understand a little more of the history of the games, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

As someone who loved Nier but never played any Drakengard game or had any of the books. I found this summary of the events very helpful :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I can't get Emil to sell weapons near tge camp

What do I do wrong

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I can't get Emil to sell weapons near tge camp

What do I do wrong

Keep trying

I read stopping him nearer Engels might help but can't vouch for it first hand

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

it really is just reloading the area over and over first time i got him to spawn there was as A2... right before the cut scene of pascals village being attacked. which reloads the area

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so I just finished my third playthrough and I have a question about ending d

would getting it be as simple as choosing the last chapter in the chapter select menu and picking the other character? I went with a2 first, so this time I'd pick 9s for the next ending right?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Pre-Load booooyyz!

Came here to post this, I can't wait to get home and install it!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

so I just finished my third playthrough and I have a question about ending d

would getting it be as simple as choosing the last chapter in the chapter select menu and picking the other character? I went with a2 first, so this time I'd pick 9s for the next ending right?

yeah

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cool that's simple then, thanks

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I tried every spot on his camp route.. I don't get it. I just want weapons

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Tae posted:

Drakgangard 3 is unplayable on a technical level. Like single digit frames when there's anything decent on the screen.

Eh, the first Drakengard is the only one that borders on unplayable. It's so bloody tedious and the characters are just mean-spirited walking jokes.

Drakengard 3 is the best; technical problems abound, but beneath that it's an OK Devil May Cry-ish action game with dragon-flying interludes. It's also self-aware enough that a Let's Play is unnecessary.

Drakengard 2 is a less boring version of the original Drakengard, gameplay-wise. The lack of Yoko Taro shows in the storyline, so it's just typical teenage heroes mopping up the messes of the first game.

Remastered versions would be nice, but that news is probably Yoko Taro messing with us again.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

of the drakengard/nier games, its my least favorite tbh, though i think that has more to do with the writing in it than anything else. the best parts of it are in a set of dlc and even then it is still okay. yoko taro apparently wasn't in a lead position if i remember correctly and i think it shows over all.

also the game isnt very fun to play but hahah a fun drakengard

Drakengard 2 was the one that barely involved Yoko Taro. He directed and co-wrote Drakengard 3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dazat posted:

2B 's audio recording for 9S, the latter of which isn't even a side quest and is super easy to miss.

Where/how do you get this audio recording? I assume it's during route C

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 16, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Where/how do you get this audio recording? I assume it's during route C

Flooded city, look at the edge of the water for a flight unit before you get to the platforming over collapsed buildings. You're right about Route C. You can also interact with A2, which is kinda interesting too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5zrp5d/for_seasaudi_residents_reports_of_unlock_success/

Reddit is reporting that South East Asia and Saudi folk can use a code to activate Automata on Steam.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Finished Ending E. Great game, great experience. The whole "other players help you beat the final credits" was really really clever, but I was too cowardly to give up my save for the greater good. I'll go back and do it again once I've 100%'d the game, if only so someone will be able to beat the game with the help of 2Bootylicious.

My only regrets were that the supporting characters weren't as interesting as the first Nier, the game crashed fairly often and made me lose a couple hours of progress, and it was a Platinum game with no pummel duels.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Do we know anything about the PC version and how it runs? I'd love to play this game tomorrow, but I don't wanna preorder a dodgy PC port.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love that Emil is the steam icon for this game.

I genuinely hope Taro continues to wear his Emil Mask and just never swaps to something else. Drakengard 4? Icon is still Emil etc.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Preloading the PC version now :woop:

What's a challenging but not masochistic difficulty level for a first run? I did my first MG:Rising run on Hard and that was reasonable enough, is Automatas definition of Hard similar to that?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

As someone who loved Nier but never played any Drakengard game or had any of the books. I found this summary of the events very helpful :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0
I enjoyed this video. My mind is still full of gently caress though and I'm not talking 2B's rear end. Someone with knowledge please message me directly so I don't fill this thread with my newcomer bullshit questions.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

Preloading the PC version now :woop:

What's a challenging but not masochistic difficulty level for a first run? I did my first MG:Rising run on Hard and that was reasonable enough, is Automatas definition of Hard similar to that?

Start with normal and go up to hard when it gets too easy for you.

Hard from the get go will be an exercise in frustration for a new player. Automata's hard mode wants you to get to grips with its chip system and go out of your way to equip good defensive chips for what you are fighting specifically. It's not a game like MGRR at all and the balancing isn't similar either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RanKizama posted:

I enjoyed this video. My mind is still full of gently caress though and I'm not talking 2B's rear end. Someone with knowledge please message me directly so I don't fill this thread with my newcomer bullshit questions.

Sent a PM