Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also the cars have to be completely torn down to the tub and rebuilt for super speedway config for Fontana, and the teams REALLY dont want to do that without going back to base. the crews would revolt if they have to truck their poo poo from florida to indy/chi, swap the cars to super speedway, truck their poo poo to LA for fontana, then back to indy to swap to road course, then back to LA for Long Beach. part of the reason phoenix works on the schedule where it does is they can carry the parts they need for the swap, namely the diff and suspension parts, in the truck without having to go back to base. no multiple aero kits + spares.

the schedule already has too many of those mad dash swaps with no sleep for the crews (Indy->Detroit->Texas and Gateway->Glen)... but thankfully none as bad as 2014 when they decided to run Sonoma and Fontana on consecutive weekends. if that wasnt already the last race of the year, im not sure any of the crew members would have even showed up

e: i dont remember years anymore, its all one big blur

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also important to remember that for most of the teams, those dudes you see on pit lane are the same dudes repairing the car in the paddock, and the same dudes in the shop getting the car ready for the next race. assembling bodies, preparing tubs, doing shock packages, rebuilding gearboxes, everything. even the truck drivers are often the 'jack of all trades', setting up the pit box, fetching tires, etc. everybodies got 6 jobs, which means those back-to-backs mean fly out thurs morning, 12 hour days at the track, pray you mechanical out early so you can catch a sunday night flight home, get 1 day off if youre lucky, then back at the shop as soon as the truck shows up for 16 hour days tues+wed to turn the car around, then back out to the next race thurs morning.

this aint F1 or the bigger NASCAR teams with separate dedicated pit road and shop crews. those 14 guys in the bourdais victory lane celebration pics? thats it. from intern staff to shared engineering crew between the two cars, 14 guys. and thats LUXURY for coyne. hes run cars with 9 dudes total before...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 16, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I am SO glad that interview with Ganassi never went anywhere. I was already beyond what they would have paid anyways.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

devmd01 posted:

I am SO glad that interview with Ganassi never went anywhere. I was already beyond what they would have paid anyways.

I seriously wonder if TG really did gently caress up the finances of how things were ran by CART? Like what were the budgets compared to Cup teams, F1 teams, and World Sports Car?

I mean it is a :ussr:-like in some regards which has it's positives and it's negatives. But I mean you went from a despirarity of having organizations like Penske, Ganassi, Newman Haas and Menard spending a lot of money in house on things compared to the Dick Simon's of the world who would be here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goDSDb5rR2I

To just of it being relatively equal and not really having those massive organizations like I just described (or the "little guys" like Dick Simon).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

devmd01 posted:

Ganassi and Penske are different than what I was describing. But it's still not a 'chill' work environment by any stretch, im sure.

As for costs, KOOL was spending $20m a year in the late 90s. All in, Team Green was probably spending $15m per car, or about $21m in today's dollars with inflation.

Current costs I've seen range from $6-8m for a full season, to $12m for a Penske operation.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Ganassi and Penske are different than what I was describing. But it's still not a 'chill' work environment by any stretch, im sure.

As for costs, KOOL was spending $20m a year in the late 90s. All in, Team Green was probably spending $15m per car, or about $21m in today's dollars with inflation.

Current costs I've seen range from $6-8m for a full season, to $12m for a Penske operation.

I imagine the Tobacco money helped build that in terms of purse winnings, and sponsorship.

Honestly it amazes me that Penske, Truesports, Galles, Patrick, etc all used to build up their own chassis well into the 90's.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't say "well" into the 90s, other than Penske.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was really hoping Penske would make their own aero parts when it was allowed. :smith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

I was really hoping Penske would make their own aero parts when it was allowed. :smith:

There was rumors that in the 2000's they'd be the ones getting the contracts for what ended up being the IR-03.

(Also Reynard, and Lola were also mentioned per the old mailbag that Miller has up on ESPN2).

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wouldn't say "well" into the 90s, other than Penske.

I'd say roughly about 1994-1997ish with Penske (Last win was 1997 with Paul Tracy in the Penske PC-26 at Gateway). Could also count the Eagle MKV which was (sadly) a failure.

'92 was the last time it really had multiple in house teams in that regard with Galmer (winners of the "500", Long Beach), Truesports, and Penske. By '93? Galles-Kraco switched to Lola's, The Truesports attempt actually caused Rahal to DNQ,, etc.

It's funny. I think F1 and Indy have the reverse problems in that regard. F1 could use more "customer cars", and Indy could use more "Penske"-like projects IMO.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Eagle 987 and 997 too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The bizzare thing was that Robby Gordon made much better use of the Eagle than AAR did. Leads me to believe that Goodyear was severely handicapping them. I think the PC-27-99 might have been better with Firestone too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

The bizzare thing was that Robby Gordon made much better use of the Eagle than AAR did. Leads me to believe that Goodyear was severely handicapping them. I think the PC-27-99 might have been better with Firestone too.

You know I loving miss the idea of Goodyear being back in the sport being that I'm an Akron kid and seeing the Blimp at the '500" would feel right. (I say this knowing full well that Firestones are built in Akron, and I drove by the plant where they built said tired on my way to work back a few years a go)

But holy gently caress did they get punked by Firestone within a year of them entering the sport. Same thing happened in F1 at the same time it seems. PT has said that it was the Goodyears on the Penske chassis that were indeed causing them a lot of problems.

Had they been involved in Cup at the time I do wonder if Goodyear would be out of Auto racing completely at this point.

Tony Stewart even kinda implied it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la4BO6D-zw

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Goodyear is the Walmart of racing tires. They're ubiquitous, they're cheap, everyone is probably better off without them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've never driven Goodyear tires, but Firestone tires are poo poo too. I had some Wide Oval AS and they were noisy as all get out.

Surprisingly enough, my car now has Michelins.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I once got a set of Kuhmo tires for my car after I had drifting on the brain and kept seeing advertisements for them. The price was right. Their performance was poo poo.

The only good set of tires I ever remember having were Bridgestone.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It really depends on the model of tire you have, rather than brand.

Goodyear is not great at racing tires though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Goodyear is the Walmart of racing tires. They're ubiquitous, they're cheap, everyone is probably better off without them.

IMSA runs Continental

USAC and WOO both run Hoosier (Continental)

F1 run on Pirelli

WEC is pretty much all Michelin now

Indy is Firestone. MRTI is Cooper.

Outside of Cup? Doesn't appear to be any major series running 'Goodyear's anymore. Little sunned they haven't switched to Hoosier, but I imagine the money and promotions are good enough for them to stay.

e: My father used to work for BF Goodrich and I can recall seeing a few :smug: posters, hand outs about them winning in the Baja 1000 and IMSA I think (?). Sadly they can kinda dropped off the face of earth. Thanks to loving NAFTA....

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 16, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:eng101: there's at least one major drifting team in Japan running Goodyears! So they're good for smoke, apparently.

I had some Eagle F1s on my car for a few years, and they performed decently well, even in...erm...snow. Ahem. But it wasn't like I was pushing them or doing track days.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

also important to remember that for most of the teams, those dudes you see on pit lane are the same dudes repairing the car in the paddock, and the same dudes in the shop getting the car ready for the next race. assembling bodies, preparing tubs, doing shock packages, rebuilding gearboxes, everything. even the truck drivers are often the 'jack of all trades', setting up the pit box, fetching tires, etc. everybodies got 6 jobs, which means those back-to-backs mean fly out thurs morning, 12 hour days at the track, pray you mechanical out early so you can catch a sunday night flight home, get 1 day off if youre lucky, then back at the shop as soon as the truck shows up for 16 hour days tues+wed to turn the car around, then back out to the next race thurs morning.

this aint F1 or the bigger NASCAR teams with separate dedicated pit road and shop crews. those 14 guys in the bourdais victory lane celebration pics? thats it. from intern staff to shared engineering crew between the two cars, 14 guys. and thats LUXURY for coyne. hes run cars with 9 dudes total before...

Sounds like any prod engineering job ever, tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From what might be the best thing Penske's ever done.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wish they had Simon say "Ricky Bobby" instead.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It (hopefully) begins:

although only CA has a race and legal weed as of now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Will Power pushing past his gag reflex".

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

It (hopefully) begins:

although only CA has a race and legal weed as of now

not for long :smugdon:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Another reason I loving love Will

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Valvoline/status/842490563387711488

Time for a "Why we watch" post. Goddamn. This video is good. Like so good, that you should stop what you're doing and watch this.

I wish they'd do a "30 for 30" on this race now. I'd love to hear what Eddie Cheever (and his sheer hatred for Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti), Lyn St. James, Michael Andretti, Roberto Guerrero, and Scott Goodyear himself would like to add.

Also I think Valvoline is coming back to the sport guys. Already was an associate sponsor with Bourdais this weekend, and is going to be a presenting sponsor for the race at Gateway.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

God I would love a series of those, even if they're just five or ten minute long mini-documentaries. Talk about epic wins, heartbreaking losses, behind the scenes stories, so many things to talk about, from all of Indy/CART/IRL/CCWS.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:ssh: the "Michael Andretti" car drawing has Nigel's helmet design

I love that they made the 'facing the helmet' angle because I absolutely remember that from the early '90s races. Real cool little video, and I really hope it means they're coming back to Motorsport more.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

God I would love a series of those, even if they're just five or ten minute long mini-documentaries. Talk about epic wins, heartbreaking losses, behind the scenes stories, so many things to talk about, from all of Indy/CART/IRL/CCWS.

IMS Productions has done stuff like the "INDYCAR CHRONICLES" before for NBCSN.

I think a series of retro videos ala FS1's "The Day" is definitely in order. I'd love to see stories related to the high and low points of the sport. This is awful to say, but I'd be intrigued to see the story behind the '73 500. A race so legendary in it's brutality that it was featured in a "Faces of Death" knock off movie called "CATASTROPHE" in the 70's.

More positive ones? Docs on Nigel Mansell, Penske '94, The Rear Engine revolution, etc. Would be a "must watch".

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128531

Helio and Juan could be doing IMSA together next year.

God it'd be nice if RP signed Hinch to join Power, Newgarden and Paganeud in '18, but I imagine he'd prefer Rossi (considering he had a chat with him at the hauler at the Glen last year)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
KV Racing is auctioning off everything left in their shop.

And I... Mean... EVERYTHING!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Tag yourself I'm the lot of 2 trash cans.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

njsykora posted:

Sebring is the only other major US circuit I can think of that doesn't have an Indycar date aside from the ones you mentioned. Though I don't see any way a top level open wheeler could even hope to go down Sebring's main straight. Then there's Lime Rock but Lime Rock's locals are even worse than Laguna's. Really I think Road Atlanta is the most likely if they do go looking for another road course.

Indycar teams test at Sebring, iirc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drgitlin posted:

Indycar teams test at Sebring, iirc.

But only the club layout, which doesn't include the super bumpy main straight.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Since literally every car in the field (+ Montoya) showed up for the Alabama test today, why not have some T&S too:

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rossi visor cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVEPRTOIEs

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sato #1 in first session.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sarah_connors/status/844241141230911490

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Max Chilton second fastest in the afternoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Loved the visor cam but I still wish they could do something about the microphone.

• Locked thread