Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Send your partner an email, tell him to fix this poo poo or he's fried, then go from there. Let the professor know informally about the situation to cover your bases, though maybe downplay the egregiousness of the plagiarism.

The truth is in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
OH MY loving GOD YOU RETARDS MAKE ME WANNA ACTUALLY PULL THE TRIGGER EVERY TIME I STICK MY PISTOL IN MY MOUTH, gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Send your partner an email, tell him to fix this poo poo or he's fried, then go from there. Let the professor know informally about the situation to cover your bases, though maybe downplay the egregiousness of the plagiarism.

this is literally what i suggested lol

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mike-o posted:

OH MY loving GOD YOU RETARDS MAKE ME WANNA ACTUALLY PULL THE TRIGGER EVERY TIME I STICK MY PISTOL IN MY MOUTH, gently caress

Then don't stick it in your mouth, duh.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Go to the authorities first or you risk getting caught up in the investigation especially once he realizes how much trouble he's in and starts scrounging for leniency and twists your words around

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Shoot the loving civilians; he already has the rules read to him every university makes you sign an academic honesty contract and doing anything other than going to the professor will put you at risk.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

You know I'm getting an MFA, right?

I am too. Or trying to.

Still applies.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Cole I'm sorry

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

Thread title.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

I am too. Or trying to.

Still applies.

Are you gonna doxx me? Or just cartoon me to death

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

Go to the authorities first or you risk getting caught up in the investigation especially once he realizes how much trouble he's in and starts scrounging for leniency and twists your words around

This is ALWAYS the correct answer when dealing with anything that could have major professional ramifications

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This is called middle ground and it is faulty thinking.

You are ALL forgetting military rule #1

C

Y

A

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zeris posted:

Are you gonna doxx me? Or just cartoon me to death

Is the second one a question or do you want me to cartoon you to death?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

This is called middle ground and it is faulty thinking.

You are ALL forgetting military rule #1

C

Y

A

mass punishment was a thing when i was in, so covering your rear end sometimes meant cleaning up after other dumbass makes a mistake and handle everything at the lowest rank possible.

and i still carry that "handle it at the lowest rank/class/status/whatever possible" philosophy because it works out better for everyone that way.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

Is the second one a question or do you want me to cartoon you to death?

Surprise me

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TBeats posted:

mass punishment was a thing when i was in, so covering your rear end sometimes meant cleaning up after other dumbass makes a mistake and handle everything at the lowest rank possible.

and i still carry that "handle it at the lowest rank/class/status/whatever possible" philosophy because it works out better for everyone that way.

Academia is prison rules though

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

That works until it doesn't. In larger groups sure, but he also said it wasn't the first time.

That is habitual. That is not "it was this one time!" Or "I don't really do this a lot." That is trouble. That is someone who will try to drag someone down with them.

Did you have troop before? Cause I had a dude exactly like that and it took 3 years to get him kicked out because everyone kept giving him second chances.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zeris posted:

Surprise me

I'm not good with surprises just tell me what you want for your birthday so I can get it now and forget about it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Soulex posted:

I'm not good with surprises just tell me what you want for your birthday so I can get it now and forget about it.

Some loving spontaneity for once would be nice

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Man, I bet with my skill set I could really help some ne'er do-wells do some really high end cheating on this poo poo and make a tidy little profit

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
why are they giving him the questions before the debate

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

So my advisor suggested I talk to the registrar, so I went over there and after a lot of back and forth, I was told that the state minimum for academic forgiveness is, indeed, four years but they also let schools set stricter policies, and the school's policy is five.

"Is there some life lesson the school expects me to have learned in the three months I'm short of that I didn't already learn in the preceding four years and nine months?" I asked.

"I can't address that," she said. Basically saying that the policy is the policy, nothing can be done.

"Is there an appeals process?" I ask. There is! And I'm told how to pursue it. "Why isn't this information in the letter you sent me?" I asked.

"Students usually come and ask after they get the letter," I'm told. Basically "we didn't tell you because you didn't ask."

So I go over to the advising assistance center to get the forms and see I need my advisor's signature too, so I take the forms to get his signature.

Turns out that during his back-and-forth with the registrar's office on this, they never told him there was an appeals process either.

What the unholy gently caress.

Okay, so update on all this bullshit. After I spoke with my advisor, I went to the dean of students and said "the registrar's office was deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor on this" and basically told my story from the beginning (with four part harmony) and was basically rewarded with a combination of horror and incredulity. But I was told that I should submit the paperwork I got from advising assistance.

Turns out what I was given wasn't an appeals form, it was an application for a policy exemption.

Anyway, long story short is that my application was approved and now I have a non-poo poo GPA.

Gotta take math again, though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I should have mentioned this earlier because it's super-duper relevant: every report that we turn in is required to have a signed statement at the end saying, in effect, "the work contained herein is my own." I signed that statement and turned in the previous report believing that was true, but I am now finding out that was not the case through no fault of my own. That's why I'm pissed, that's why I'm not going to try and sweep it under the rug.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
drat, if the professor didn't have you sign something like that, then i imagine cheating would be allowed?

or, more than likely, you just sign a piece of fluff that is already explicitly spelled out on the syllabus you get at the beginning of the semester.

were i the jackass who cheated, and you threw me under the bus, i would sure as poo poo make sure it runs over you as well and bitch and moan that you knew the first assignment was plagiarized as well. i wouldn't have anything to lose at that point, so why not?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Okay, so update on all this bullshit. After I spoke with my advisor, I went to the dean of students and said "the registrar's office was deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor on this" and basically told my story from the beginning (with four part harmony) and was basically rewarded with a combination of horror and incredulity. But I was told that I should submit the paperwork I got from advising assistance.

Turns out what I was given wasn't an appeals form, it was an application for a policy exemption.

Anyway, long story short is that my application was approved and now I have a non-poo poo GPA.

Gotta take math again, though.

I am a beneficiary of Academic Forgiveness. I am pleased as punch this worked out this for you. Do well the first semester and let that 4.0 do the mental legwork for why poo poo matters.

Good for you man.

I am so pissed that you have gotten hosed over and over again, but hopefully this is a good day for you.

Naked Bear posted:

I should have mentioned this earlier because it's super-duper relevant: every report that we turn in is required to have a signed statement at the end saying, in effect, "the work contained herein is my own." I signed that statement and turned in the previous report believing that was true, but I am now finding out that was not the case through no fault of my own. That's why I'm pissed, that's why I'm not going to try and sweep it under the rug.

Throwing my hat into the ring here. The professor doesn't care about your petty squabbles unless he has to deal with the Administration because of it. He's going to deal with it if you turn in some poo poo that's plagiarized. You ask for an extension because you weren't satisfied with your partners work. You do not elaborate. You quickly email your partner telling him he's about to get his dick smashed in if he doesn't right the ship. In the meantime, you make second file rewriting all of his plagiarized poo poo with the best you can do, and if the partner doesn't pull through, you turn in the non-plagiarized piece as is and take your C. After the fact, you go to the professors office hours and say "this is the poo poo he gave to me".

I would recommend a more direct route, but you said you don't have a lot of time to deal.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 17, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Naked Bear posted:

Dude if you end up in front of the honor committee just loving roast him. You'll be fine. You're literally describing the unlikely scenario that justifies the existence of those types of institutions.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

Blood for the Blood God, crush his rear end.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Guys, school is pretty cool. Except when it's not.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
community college blows and I hate all the fat kids (like 80% of the students) with an unhealthy skin tone who take the elevator to the second floor but the young girls are ok even though I realize I shouldn't bother because I'm an old sack of poo poo with nothing to offer

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had a power outage on campus last year. A bunch of lazy elevator riders got stuck inside them for a couple of hours and the fire department had to get them out. There's only 4 floors in most buildings so unless you've got a mobility issue it's just peak laziness.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like i get elevators if its laid out like a hotel and thats the most attractive easy option but this poo poo you actually have to walk out of your way for and jesus christ

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my community college was also gross except it was in southern california so add in Vet Guy x4 to every class and maybe Homeless Guy x1 or 2

glad I made it to a real university

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Deathy McDeath posted:

Guys, school is pretty cool. Except when it's not.

I feel this. One day I'll miss my time in and drink at the grad bar because I feel totally disconnected from everyone around me, the next I'll go see a prof during office hours because I'm so engrossed with the material.

Still better than going directly from the army to the oil patch, I hope.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TBeats posted:

drat, if the professor didn't have you sign something like that, then i imagine cheating would be allowed?

or, more than likely, you just sign a piece of fluff that is already explicitly spelled out on the syllabus you get at the beginning of the semester.

were i the jackass who cheated, and you threw me under the bus, i would sure as poo poo make sure it runs over you as well and bitch and moan that you knew the first assignment was plagiarized as well. i wouldn't have anything to lose at that point, so why not?

Yeah but that's because you're a lovely, irresponsible person.

Given all the time in the world the dude could figure something out and work it out between them. Given the timeline, however, assuming OP did his end on time, that other guy completely hosed him over (and did so in the past) and deserves whatever happens. It's almost like he is responsible for his actions or something.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've spent the past 26 months gifting basically braindead, entitled shitheads As in group projects while they can't be asked to maintain anything drastically above a 2.75 GPA to value how much their parents are paying for their education.

Last semester, I lost my 4.0 GPA over a group project that I couldn't save. One group members couldn't be bothered to read the project concept I gifted them, and when I begged them to at least look over the section they had ignored so they'd at least know WHAT to talk about , they declined because "it would make them nervous before the presentation, and they don't really need that right now". Professor called the bluff mid-presentation, and despite me trying to fix her idiocy by talking a lot, we got a letter-grade deduction.

I'm currently dealing with a group where four out of six members have put in a combined two hours of effort in the last day of four running weeks of project work, ignored every email I sent literally laying out what they need to do step-for-step, then promised they'd do something, walk back on that promise, and then lied about ever making the promise, instead blaming me for their complete inability to do anything at all, because I caused "confusion", and was "unclear" and "contradictory on what needed to be done". You know unclear on explaining to them the instructions in the project prompt they couldn't be bothered to look at.
They then went ahead and threw a hissy-fit over me asking them to turn in something in the final two days, "ruining their weekends", texted everyone behind my back (including the one group member that likes me, which they don't know), and complained to the professor.

From other acquaintances in the business school, I've now heard through the grapevine how much poo poo they've been talking behind my back, and that they're planning on giving me a lovely peer evaluation. This project can now cost me my Summa Cum Laude degree.

loving :laffo: at the notion that I owe any of these entitled lazy shitheads even the least bit of leniency when they decide to jeopardize my degree, scholarship, and academic progression by lazily plagiarizing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oh, the poo poo they phoned in during the last day before our first set of deliverables was due? Two sets of 700-word gibberish that reads like a valley girl talking about her weekend. They're confident that they've done their part and that it is quality work.

These kids could be presented the "Kruger-Dunning certificate of academic excellency" at their graduation and they'd be proud of it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

community college blows and I hate all the fat kids (like 80% of the students) with an unhealthy skin tone who take the elevator to the second floor but the young girls are ok even though I realize I shouldn't bother because I'm an old sack of poo poo with nothing to offer

It gets slightly better when you transfer to a 4 year institution. Having had experience (and failing) at a university when I was younger, restarting at CC was great but also mind numbing as it felt like sitting in a glorified high school. I'm in my last few semesters for my undergrad now, finally seeing some semblance of light at the end of the tunnel owns.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Naked Bear posted:

You're right, though: this isn't the military. There, you stick your neck out for your buddy because he's covering your rear end, too. That's not the case here.

This is so loving true. When I first got out I could not believe the amount that people in the civilian workforce just blatantly gently caress each other over.

I'm leading a group project in business school and it's impossible to get anyone to just do their poo poo and show up to the meetings. I've already kicked one guy out because he missed the first 3 meetings, and he acted super indignant about it. I sent him a text 45 minutes before each one to remind him. gently caress group work.

Actually, gently caress school. The only good thing about it is it's easier to find yourself balls deep in a 21 year old on a pile of coats drunk on lovely beer at a lovely party filled with idiots who hold ideas of self-importance despite having never contributed anything of value to the world.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 19, 2017

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My experiences regarding group work are similar. Thankfully I only had to go back to school for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've been the default leader essentially for my group for a presentation. I've been employing the Lassaiz faire strategy and it's the best.