Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Meridian posted:

So just checking in, word around the campfire is that the new Mass Effect is bad, therefore Star Citizen is...good?

...and right on time!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

So just checking in, word around the campfire is that the new Mass Effect is bad, therefore Star Citizen is...good?
its looking p bad, I'll report in next week with a 100% honest and impartial review about banging space cats

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well poo poo, guess I need to add "banging a space cat" on my bucket list.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

big nipples big life posted:

This is going to be the new "LoD is bad so Star Citizen is good."

:lol:

D1E posted:

Well, to put things in perspective, it's still at least one million times better than any game ever released by Derek Smart.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hard to argue with this. Vehicles actually move.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ME:A is so good that it looks bad, imo

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ME:A is a big budget space game with poo poo loads of motion capture and it looks like dogshit, therefore SC will be good.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Space Crabs posted:

EVE has like 5 full time economists on staff with an incredibly robust economy that has existed for more than a decade and even then when I took a break from the game USD became 300%+ more valuable compared to ISK. Meaning I could pay $15 at one point and get $250,000,000 ISK, but later can pay $15 and get $950,000,000 ISK. Which changes all the time.

But sure, it's totally plausible that there will be a perfect $1 = $1000 UEC ratio of exchange making sure your autism chariot is still somehow worth three thousand dollars and you literally expect a 400% increase in price when any amount of logical consideration should be preparing you for a loss of value by 10 to 100 times or more.

Inflation is an unavoidable and necessary component of MMO economies, that's like one of the primary mechanics in place to keep you playing. Even I know that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Chrips Croppets however, doesn't.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There's going to be a money hack day one anyway, cryengine is already hacked to death.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

its looking p bad, I'll report in next week with a 100% honest and impartial review about banging space cats

squid-cats.

If it's wrong to want to explore the rampant eroticism that is the Elcor, I don't want to be right.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

There's going to be a money hack day one anyway, cryengine is already hacked to death.

Last time I played the PU, you could generate money by shooting a particular part of a station. :)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sabreseven posted:

Last time I played the PU, you could generate money by shooting a particular part of a station. :)

Now they are stealing from Destiny?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

That's the whole point of the scene, it's a mexican standoff and she's the only one that knows the path to the macguffin.

Hire me Chris, I can ghostwrite some of the episodes for you!

Makes me think of that scene in Farscape where Creighton held his gun to his own head (as he knew the secret of wormhole creation)...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

squid-cats.

If it's wrong to want to explore the rampant eroticism that is the Elcor, I don't want to be right.

I need to see the Dirty Harry-style movie that was being advertised during ME2. Which sums up ME for me, really: some really cool concepts happening in the background of a middling game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I need to see the Dirty Harry-style movie that was being advertised during ME2. Which sums up ME for me, really: some really cool concepts happening in the background of a middling game.

Blasto: The jellyfish stings?

Galaxies first Hanar Spectre, a girl in every port and a gun in every tentacle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf7HC7iYEY - Blasto 6: Partners in Crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aMcqbPdq0 - Spoiler for ME3 contained.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I take it back thread, mass effect more like massively disappointing entertainment product

I'm glad EA gave us a demo though I was on the hype train before trying it

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Citizens have posted ~dreams~ about real companies setting up store fronts in the 'verse because so many millions of people will be playing SC.

Look at how that turned out in Second life...

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

aleksendr posted:

Look at how that turned out in Second life...

loving excellently if you're shopping for dog dicks

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HycoCam posted:

Imagine ships still selling for hundreds to thousands of dollars in a game played by millions. This would be the best thing to ever happen with MMO's. Why? It would get rid of the gold farmers from every other game. Gold Farmers would flock to CIG--they'd be idiots not to. Theorycrafting about this on the RSI forums was always great fun. The solution was inevitably--Chris has it under control with his vision. Just like all control schemes will perform identically and NPC will be indistinguishable from players.

I remember how much fun it was trying to figure out how CIG would actually combat gold farming when they thought people would pay $18 for a loving golf cart.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is great. :lol:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Berious posted:

loving excellently if you're shopping for dog dicks

i was thinking of the large, completely empty, corporate islands that where rented for thousand of $ a month around 2005.

Not that anyone willing to mod "personnal dungeons" for "Piracy roleplay purpose," in SC would not make a fortune.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well poo poo, guess I need to add "banging a space cat" on my bucket list.

:stare:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
that's so close to making sense it's scary

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Space Crabs posted:

But sure, it's totally plausible that there will be a perfect $1 = $1000 UEC ratio of exchange making sure your autism chariot is still somehow worth three thousand dollars and you literally expect a 400% increase in price when any amount of logical consideration should be preparing you for a loss of value by 10 to 100 times or more.

The MMO-gear-that-appreciates curve was slightly less long than the Beanie Baby curve.

Cratered nearly as quickly too, mainly because there are people for who these things are actually jobs, which creates a massive devaluation curve...

Edit: ^^^ Frogbear achieved sentience a few months ago and gave it up as a bad idea.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

The MMO-gear-that-appreciates curve was slightly less long than the Beanie Baby curve.

Cratered nearly as quickly too, mainly because there are people for who these things are actually jobs, which creates a massive devaluation curve...

Ahh, to be back when you could sell poo poo from Everquest via Wells Fargo money transfer. Those underwater breathing earrings could go for 100$ a pop in the early days.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Ahh, to be back when you could sell poo poo from Everquest via Wells Fargo money transfert. Those underwater breathing earrings could go for 100$ a pop in the early days.

A friend of mine had a backpack in Anarchy Online that sold for $5000, at one point. I told him to sell it immediately, but I think he hung onto it.

Unrealized value is not value, etc.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Meridian posted:

Actually, the "campfire" is Star Citizen....)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Blasto: The jellyfish stings?

Galaxies first Hanar Spectre, a girl in every port and a gun in every tentacle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf7HC7iYEY - Blasto 6: Partners in Crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aMcqbPdq0 - Spoiler for ME3 contained.

Man, Sheperd's a dick. Trilogy should be remade with Blasto as the hero.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Here's the thing about the ME:A flip flop.

The original Mass Effect Trilogy is looked upon fondly. The games were good. The great majority of people agree that these games are model of effective world-building and character development and the game was very strong because of it. There are certainly pieces of the trilogy that maybe aren't *great*, but what it did well was so strong that things like 'meh' combat at time was nothing but a tiny mark against it. It's important to remember that the writing, the world and the characters are what carried this series and on the back of three games were this was the focus of excellence, they have earned this place where people will give them the benefit of the doubt...until proven wrong of course.

Well, here we are a week out of release, and we have something tangible to touch and the writing doesn't look so hot. If the writing isn't great, then it puts those other things that rely on good writing in jeopardy. We assumed the writing would be at least good because it was really good in the original trilogy. This is called 'evidence'! There was evidence to suggest that ME:A's writing would be strong because the series had good writing in the past. Well, now there is a lot more evidence to suggest that maybe ME:A's writing is actually quite bad. Because of this new evidence, a lot of people are reconsidering their position on the game.

In review:

Past evidence says ME:A will probably be good = People think ME:A will be good.
New evidence suggests that ME:A might not be good = People think ME:A might not be good.

The theme here is Evidence.

See, rational people use evidence to help form opinions. So, when people flip-flopped on ME:A, it's because the evidence changed. That's what it means to be rational.

With Star Citizen, we actually saw a similar thing. Star Citizen was announced and people were excited for it. They extended the benefit of doubt to Croberts and friends and were willing to hand over some cash because there wasn't yet any really strong evidence to suggest it's going to crash and burn. Then, the crazy started piling on. An insane scope. Ship pricing. A lot of promises and not a lot of content over a long period of time. Hyping of tech that's been figured out 10 years previous and still didn't work quite right. Timelines that seem to get extended into eternity. All these things and more are pieces of evidence that suggest that maybe this isn't the dream project people original hoped it would be. It kinda suggested that it might be a train wreck and as more and more of that kind of evidence got piled on, people started doing a rational thing: They asked for refunds. They stopped supporting the game. They lost faith in the project, because there was now a lot of evidence to suggest that CIG isn't going to deliver.

Now, if you aren't a fan of evidence, we have name for you: True Believer.

If you think the Earth is flat, or that chemtrails are evil, or that fluoride is a mind-controlling drug planted in our water by the government, or that Star Citizen will deliver on anything resembling the scope that was promised, then you are a True Believer. You have earned such a label because despite overwhelming evidence, you choose to close your ears and eyes and refuse to acknowledge that evidence, or claim it was placed there by an antagonistic third party, or do mental gymnastics of ever-increasing complexity to prevent the shattering the forgone conclusion your brain has submitted as reality despite that evidence.

So in this really boring post, I hope there is one important take-away: Reconsidering ME:A's potential is a thing a rational human would do. Supporting Star Citizen in TYooL 2017 is a thing an irrational person would do.

most important part of post -- Tax:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The original Mass Effect Trilogy is looked upon fondly. The games were good. The great majority of people agree that these games are model of effective world-building and character development and the game was very strong because of it. There are certainly pieces of the trilogy that maybe aren't *great*, but what it did well was so strong that things like 'meh' combat at time was nothing but a tiny mark against it. It's important to remember that the writing, the world and the characters are what carried this series and on the back of three games were this was the focus of excellence, they have earned this place where people will give them the benefit of the doubt...until proven wrong of course.

Well, here we are a week out of release, and we have something tangible to touch and the writing doesn't look so hot. If the writing isn't great, then it puts those other things that rely on good writing in jeopardy. We assumed the writing would be at least good because it was really good in the original trilogy. This is called 'evidence'! There was evidence to suggest that ME:A's writing would be strong because the series had good writing in the past. Well, now there is a lot more evidence to suggest that maybe ME:A's writing is actually quite bad. Because of this new evidence, a lot of people are reconsidering their position on the game.

In review:

New evidence suggests that ME:A might not be good = People think ME:A might not be good.

See, rational people use evidence to help form opinions. So, when people flip-flopped on ME:A, it's because the evidence changed. That's what it means to be rational.

With Star Citizen, we actually saw a similar thing. Star Citizen was announced and people were excited for it. They extended the benefit of doubt to Croberts and friends and were willing to hand over some cash because there wasn't yet any really strong evidence to suggest it's going to crash and burn. Then, the crazy started piling on. An insane scope. Ship pricing. A lot of promises and not a lot of content over a long period of time. Hyping of tech that's been figured out 10 years previous and still didn't work quite right. Timelines that seem to get extended into eternity. All these things and more are pieces of evidence that suggest that maybe this isn't the dream project people original hoped it would be. It kinda suggested that it might be a train wreck and as more and more of that kind of evidence got piled on, people started doing a rational thing: They asked for refunds. They stopped supporting the game. They lost faith in the project, because there was now a lot of evidence to suggest that CIG isn't going to deliver.

If you think the Earth is flat, or that chemtrails are evil, or that fluoride is a mind-controlling drug planted in our water by the government, or that Star Citizen will deliver on anything resembling the scope that was promised, then you are a True Believer. You have earned such a label because despite overwhelming evidence, you choose to close your ears and eyes and refuse to acknowledge that evidence, or claim it was placed there by an antagonistic third party, or do mental gymnastics of ever-increasing complexity to prevent the shattering the forgone conclusion your brain has submitted as reality despite that evidence.

So in this really boring post, I hope there is one important take-away: Reconsidering ME:A's potential is a thing a rational human would do. Supporting Star Citizen in TYooL 2017 is a thing an irrational person would do.

https://imgur.com/ebfPrPx

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hello
  • almost none of the stretch goals listed in the kickstarter will be implemented
  • release will be a total MVP to drudge up sales around oct/nov this year
  • free weekends brought almost no new players into the game
  • staff will be cut following release, including some high profile people
  • patches will add additional cash shop items but less and less gameplay
  • story and promised single player content will be pushed to TBA
  • heavily focused on the MMO portion
  • players who have spent over $1,000 consist of 99% of ongoing sales
  • peak players for Feb 2017 averaged less than 160
  • monthly income cannot cover expenditures
  • big name CEO is using own funds to cover the losses
shroud of the avatar

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

In review:

Bloody good post. :)

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Hav posted:

A friend of mine had a backpack in Anarchy Online that sold for $5000, at one point. I told him to sell it immediately, but I think he hung onto it.

Unrealized value is not value, etc.

My friend had one of those limited towns, worth a lot of money in-game and real life. He stopped playing AO and gave me his account with the town. I traded the town for the dragon backpack and used it a lot. I stopped playing AO in 2006 and never sold my accounts or items, due to some misguided notion that I might play the game again.

Not my proudest moment.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

When the game is released, and ship prices are 4x what they are now, what's not to say I can't sell or rent them out for cash?

Has anyone told you lately that you're a dumbass? Just loving read what you just wrote.

"Hey, here's a GREAT business model! we already have our captive financial Stockholm syndrome audience, let's try to get more suckers on the hook by PRICING EVERYONE NOT ALREADY IN THIS SHITSHOW OUT OF IT."

You're the perfect example of a Star Citizen fan. Totally financially fucktarded.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
moma good, mass effect bad

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Just not dropping money for it before-hand. Got it.

Not dropping insane amounts of cash for it before-hand. NOW you've got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

Has anyone told you lately that you're a dumbass? Just loving read what you just wrote.

"Hey, here's a GREAT business model! we already have our captive financial Stockholm syndrome audience, let's try to get more suckers on the hook by PRICING EVERYONE NOT ALREADY IN THIS SHITSHOW OUT OF IT."

You're the perfect example of a Star Citizen fan. Totally financially fucktarded.

I'm having a hard time understanding if you're mad or not.