Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

MGS3 is often regarded as the best one in the series but it's also the least fun, at least for me

after the excellent controls and smoothness of MGSV I find it somewhat excruciating to play MGS3, which I still love but it starts to show its age in a lot of ways now. Subsistence at least let you have camera control, i have no idea how I played through that game the first time without that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You should laugh at them, those are pretty useless critiques. It still doesn't mean that Doom or UnderTale are "objectively good games".

Doom's a technical masterpiece with solid controls and fantastic audio and art direction. "Objectively good" refers mainly to production values, and it's actually a really good idea to split that out from "how much did I like it".

I like this system. My recent hot takes:

Resident Evil 5: G3/F5 - Lots of questionable design decisions but overall a solidly built game with good controls. It really shines in co-op, even with the considerable amounts of jank and the dumb story I would gladly re-play this again a few times. DLC is bad, but mercifully short.

Resident Evil 6: G2/F3 - Not nearly as well put together as the last one. Great visuals, but the sound direction and writing are basically total garbo. Controls and UI are also kind of meh, with some random changes to the menus making them hard to parse. Neat idea, but very poorly implemented. It's fun in co-op, but has a lot more sections in it that I would rather just not do again, and I don't feel much inclination to replay it, especially the Sherry plotline.

Shadow of Mordor: The Bright Lord DLC: G2/F2 - Basically just hard mode DLC with some crappy challenges and next to no new actual content. The new remote branding ability is pretty neat, but the missions are too much of a pain in the rear end to really be fun. Even the beast hunt DLC had more new things to do than this, and that wasn't all that great either compared to the main game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, the other thing about my problem with the idea of "objective reviews" is that it makes it difficult to understand how two reviewers might disagree. If you're out there looking for purely objective game reviews, disagreement in review scores must mean that one of those reviewers is either wrong or dishonest.

It's why I hate the words "objective" and "subjective" when it comes to art or entertainment. I think there are inherently good and inherently bad works in any medium, but I also think that critics and general audiences can disagree on what makes a work in that medium good or bad without either being wrong, dishonest, or less objective.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder what game might earn a G1/F5 or vice versa.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

What's the video game equivalent of The Room?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Jay Rust posted:

G1F5: Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
G5F1: Probably some artsy-fartsy indie game or something

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dewgy posted:

Doom's a technical masterpiece with solid controls and fantastic audio and art direction. "Objectively good" refers mainly to production values, and it's actually a really good idea to split that out from "how much did I like it".

No it isn't. It's absolutely worthless. Most people aren't dazzled by high production values, otherwise Killzone: Shadowfall would be as beloved as Doom.

The "fantastic audio and art direction" are fantastic, btw, because of the way they interact with the gameplay. It's not like they are fantastic on their own. Doom's soundtrack did not become a pop culture sensation on its own merits.

Jettison the idea of an "Objectively Good Game" and just tell us what worked for you, and how it did. Don't try to guess how other people will feel about it, which is what this ultimately boils down to. It's an appeal to popularity.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Leroy Dennui posted:

G1F5: Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
G5F1: Probably some artsy-fartsy indie game or something

I was thinking about Big Rigs but it's not a fun game past the first five minutes.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

G1/F5 - the South Park N64 game to 8 year old me

G5/F1 - That's a tough one. My girlfriend's brother plays Hearts of Iron and a lot of similar strategy games that I'm glad he enjoys a ton but I just couldn't see myself getting into.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

I can't say for sure because I haven't played any of them but some of the goofy games Corn in the Bible posts videos of every now and again seem like they might get there

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Most people aren't dazzled by high production values

Lol if you think that.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

I can't play House of the Dead 2 without cracking up at the voice acting and all the incredibly stupid poo poo.

But it's also really rad light gun shooter so it's certainly not a G1/F5.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Picross 3D Round 2 is G5F5 the perfect game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No it isn't. It's absolutely worthless. Most people aren't dazzled by high production values, otherwise Killzone: Shadowfall would be as beloved as Doom.

The "fantastic audio and art direction" are fantastic, btw, because of the way they interact with the gameplay. It's not like they are fantastic on their own. Doom's soundtrack did not become a pop culture sensation on its own merits.

Jettison the idea of an "Objectively Good Game" and just tell us what worked for you, and how it did. Don't try to guess how other people will feel about it, which is what this ultimately boils down to. It's an appeal to popularity.

But I think with enough experience and critical thought, you can make the leap in your review from "what works for me" to "what works." That's what I mean.

Again, I wouldn't call it "objective" or any game "objectively good" because I think the word "objective" carries connotations that aren't useful for a review. But there are things that work in game design, aesthetic design, writing, gamefeel, mechanics, world design, all of that, and things that don't, and I think those can be separated from "Do I, personally, enjoy this game?"

EDIT: I should also clarify that I don't think the average player has any responsibility to think of games like that. For most people who play games, "am I enjoying this?" is the only question that matters. I'm just talking about professional reviews.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 16, 2017

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Mario Kart 8 is a textbook G5/F5

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
G5/F5 = games I like
G1/F1 = games I don't like

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Harrow posted:

But there are things that work in game design, aesthetic design, writing, gamefeel, mechanics, world design, all of that, and things that don't, and I think those can be separated from "Do I, personally, enjoy this game?"

Whether all of the things that you just listed "work" are subjective.

Edit: ok you edited it, and here's my response: I don't want professional reviewers (who are almost universally sheltered doughy white guys) making assumptions about what I'll enjoy. Just write about what they experienced. These are not vacuums or microwaves, you can't just rattle off the stats and the price vs. industry average and say "good buy" or "bad buy"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Surely there is a piece of media which you enjoy but do not consider "good" and would not recommend to your friends or strangers on the internet.

Dawn of Mana is a very pretty game that I could recommend to precisely nobody because it's very repetitive, filled with physics puzzles, and is basically a slower and less flashy Kingdom Hearts.

But god drat it, you fight a Thanatos-possessed Treant while he hurls insults and seeds at you while this music plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYnagO_Rts

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Earth Table posted:

I can't play House of the Dead 2 without cracking up at the voice acting and all the incredibly stupid poo poo.

But it's also really rad light gun shooter so it's certainly not a G1/F5.

Yeah, that game hits you with it RIGHT from the word go. Just in case someone hasn't experienced it (doubtful):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vE5vbx04E

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like objective analysis had more of a place in the NES/pre-NES era where you had games that just kind of... didn't work every once in a while.

"Controls like utter dogshit"

"glitchier'n a motherfucker"

"You literally cannot complete the game; it is broken"

"Action 52-style scam"

Like this stuff still happens but much less. More the realm of sketchy Steam Greenlight stuff and crappy F2P smartphone games now.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Edit: ok you edited it, and here's my response: I don't want professional reviewers (who are almost universally sheltered doughy white guys) making assumptions about what I'll enjoy. Just write about what they experienced. These are not vacuums or microwaves, you can't just rattle off the stats and the price vs. industry average and say "good buy" or "bad buy"

you seem to be stuck on "i think this is good" when other people are moving toward "i think this is good and here's why"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Cheeto posted:

Surely there is a piece of media which you enjoy but do not consider "good" and would not recommend to your friends or strangers on the internet.

Internalizing shame that deep is probably not very healthy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

the objectively perfect game is mgs3. thank you for reading

Was about to post this, cheers.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"Are you having fun?" is a really important question to ask but it's impossible to have a critical discussion without moving further from that point.

precision posted:

Internalizing shame that deep is probably not very healthy.

It's about recognizing that you enjoyed a thoroughly flawed work, and there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe your friends wouldn't appreciate it as much as you did. Thanks for the therapy session, though.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 16, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When how is it that I, and a lot of other people, can look at some art or entertainment that I don't enjoy on a personal level but recognize it as being well-made and good? If game design and aesthetics are purely "subjective," then that should be impossible. I mean, maybe you think I'm lying (to myself, if not you)? That if there's a thing I think is very good but I don't personally enjoy, what's actually happening is that I enjoy it but for some reason won't admit it?

Well, that's not what I'm saying either. Like, I appreciate folks like Digital Foundry who do point-by-point breakdowns of a game's technical aspects, but I don't consider those reviews or all that useful in buying decisions. Where we disagree is that I think it's possible to go beyond "what I experienced" and look at things in a wider context and determine if a thing is good or not. (And at the same time, I think it's possible for honest, "objective" reviewers to disagree on what makes a game good or bad without either being a) uselessly subjective or b) wrong or dishonest.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 16, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Speaking of absolutely worthless, I somehow forgot I was replying to megaman's jockstrap.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

okay for real are you suggesting legitimate criticism isn't possible

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can a game be bad and fun at the same time... [camera casually and unrelatedly pans, and refocuses, on botw over my shoulder] who's to say haha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's about recognizing that you enjoyed a thoroughly flawed work, and there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe your friends wouldn't appreciate it as much as you did. Thanks for the therapy session, though.

It sounded more like you were taking the "guilty pleasure" approach, which is a concept I've always found bizarre, because it directly implies that it's possible to feel bad about liking a piece of art because of some arbitrary criteria (it's pop music, it's a national bestseller, it's a Mass Effect game, etc)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe the leads on Andromeda all suffer from undiagnosed cases of face blindness and this is a cry for help?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

precision posted:

It sounded more like you were taking the "guilty pleasure" approach, which is a concept I've always found bizarre, because it directly implies that it's possible to feel bad about liking a piece of art because of some arbitrary criteria (it's pop music, it's a national bestseller, it's a Mass Effect game, etc)

Ah, yeah, that is a weirdly popular idea, but not really what I was trying to express. It's good to read pulpy novels and listen to pop music sometimes!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Dawn of Mana is a very pretty game that I could recommend to precisely nobody because it's very repetitive, filled with physics puzzles, and is basically a slower and less flashy Kingdom Hearts.

But god drat it, you fight a Thanatos-possessed Treant while he hurls insults and seeds at you while this music plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYnagO_Rts

And then at one point there is a stage where you're just climbing a tower for a good 20 or 30 minutes and when you get to the top, it triggers a fight with a magic swordsman who you have to fling poo poo at to hit while every attack you or he does organically destroys the tower like the Raging Raven fight in MGS4, all set to this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUusaENTIQ

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

I really like Battlefield Earth, but it's definitely not a good movie by any definition. Good lighting and set design, terrible everything else, and it's wonderfully stupid. There's something about it that just tickles me, and I know it's in no way what the creators intended.

I don't really see how that's bizarre. The Bad Rats example is pretty much perfect, it's something that works on an individual level despite everything that actually went into the project conspiring against it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I guess one thing I should point out about what I'm arguing is that while I think it's possible to have good, legitimate criticism of games that goes beyond the purely subjective and also isn't just a list of a game's technical aspects with some numbers by them. At the same time, I don't think there are very many critics out there who are doing that. I think there are many who try and fail, but very few who succeed. What I'm talking about is the idea of legitimate media criticism, not necessarily defending the honor of the generally crappy group of games critics working today.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

One problem with numerical review scores is that they project the sort of "objectivity" that I think a lot of video game nerds (honestly, I can't think of a better word for the kind of person I'm talking about) think that a review must have. It's why people see Breath of the Wild getting 10/10 scores and go, "But it's clearly not perfect, so that score is dishonest!"

Hey! ... OK fine...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dewgy posted:

Speaking of absolutely worthless, I somehow forgot I was replying to megaman's jockstrap.

It's always really amazing and a little shocking to me when I find out that some online stranger nurses a grudge toward lil ole me. Get well soon.

Looper posted:

okay for real are you suggesting legitimate criticism isn't possible

"Legitimate criticism" probably means different things to each of us, so let's just agree to disagree.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
if you really enjoy a game then I think you should say it's a good game

if you don't enjoy a game it isn't necessarily a bad game - I don't enjoy eating fish but I don't tell everyone it is bad food and they shouldn't bother eating it

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe the leads on Andromeda all suffer from undiagnosed cases of face blindness and this is a cry for help?

Bethesda actually has a similar problem, hence "Bethesda Potato Face Syndrome."

See also: Akira Toriyama, the people who work on generic anime trash games for the Vita and Steam, some 3D anime games, Rob Liefeld comics...

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Hey! ... OK fine...

Hah poo poo, I didn't even mean you, whoops. I was just (stupidly) wading into comments and tweets about the Jim Sterling BotW shitstorm and came across a lot of people very stubbornly arguing that a 10/10 should be impossible and therefore anyone who gave BotW a 10/10 must be dishonest, paid off, and/or have low standards.

Like if Jim Sterling used Eurogamer's review scale of Essential > Recommended > no recommendation > Avoid, his review would've fallen square into "Recommended" and I bet nobody would've even noticed. And if Polygon used that scale, their 10/10 review would've fallen under "Essential," and I think there'd be a lot less room for those people to say "clearly a paid review because the game isn't perfect!" because "Essential" doesn't say "perfect." (That said it clearly isn't true for everyone--there are still people arguing in Eurogamer's BotW review comments that it isn't "Essential" material because of the FPS drops.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Didn't some magazines use to have like, three reviewers to a game? I feel like having three numbers on a review helps remove that sense of objectivity.

• Locked thread