Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Like how the gently caress do you measure "success" with that and meals on wheels?

People get fed, mission accomplished. Sorry feeding Grandma didn't result in a .000025 increase in the GDP.

Food in schools was an attempt to not have scrawny malnourished people to feed into the army in case of a draft. Feeding Meemaw is just a nice thing to do, because you'd feel bad if Meemaw went hungry because she's home bound and doesn't have fam to feed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

Look we just can't justify spending any HARD EARNED TAX PAYER DOLLARS on PBS. Now let's talk about the $3 billion to start building a useless wall

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

does anyone have a decent list of government spending that should get curbed without loving people? defense is the obvious one, but what else?

i feel like someone will have to get unfairly slighted in order for us to ever get the debt under control.

There are probably hundreds of such products, but it's all completely subjective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not saying that NASA isn't worthwhile, just that administration after administration has underutilized them. It's pretty clear that no one who matters is going to fund them to appropriate levels, so we're gonna have to rely on the private side to do the heavy lifting.

We could have been on Mars by now if powerful people actually cared to do it.

Nah, because nobody wanted to compete with us for it. If Russia or China was really pushing a space program, NASA would be doing it.

And to be fair: NASA is still the king of heavy lifters, even the Falcon Heavy doesn't have anything on the SLS.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

There are probably hundreds of such products, but it's all completely subjective.

has anyone ever done any good studies about reasonable budget cuts and how long it would take us to pay down $~20 trillion to a more reasonable level? or is that as realistic as unicorns?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Defense is the elephant in the room but to do it would mean you accept the US taking a smaller role in world affairs and apparently no one really wants Russia and/or China to fill the void.

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, because nobody wanted to compete with us for it. If Russia or China was really pushing a space program, NASA would be doing it.

And to be fair: NASA is still the king of heavy lifters, even the Falcon Heavy doesn't have anything on the SLS.

No one is ever going to compete with us in space again. IMO it would be wiser to transition to private industry now while the rest of the world is barely able to get national space programs in the air.

You'd have to be a pretty stupid nation to think "I want a space race with the nation who put men on the moon a half century ago"

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 16, 2017

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not saying that NASA isn't worthwhile, just that administration after administration has underutilized them. It's pretty clear that no one who matters is going to fund them to appropriate levels, so we're gonna have to rely on the private side to do the heavy lifting.

We could have been on Mars by now if powerful people actually cared to do it.

After this and the last couple of pages I feel confident in saying this- I don't like you on a personal level and you most likely don't get invited to many parties.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Defense is the elephant in the room but to do it would mean you accept the US taking a smaller role in world affairs and apparently no one really wants Russia and/or China to fill the void.

Well.. no one except Alt-Right people and Trump.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^ That

Kudos to this woman for calling him out about feeding people.

Edit: :lol: This shouting match is completely professional.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 16, 2017

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

TBeats posted:

has anyone ever done any good studies about reasonable budget cuts and how long it would take us to pay down $~20 trillion to a more reasonable level? or is that as realistic as unicorns?

Inflation will take care of that for you in time, unless you increase spending (and inflation continues).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

does anyone have a decent list of government spending that should get curbed without loving people?

Aaaaand here's part of the problem. Why not increase tax revenue?

Of course there are areas worth cutting, but there are some sick tax cuts over the years we could throw out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lol Spicey playing the "YOU GUYS ONLY COVER WHEN WE DO BAD THING AND ARE PROVEN WRONG!"

mlmp08 posted:

Because getting blood[money] from a stone[poor people] is impossible and lol if you think this admin would dream of passing taxes on anyone above a million dollar threshold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its laughable that we want to spend more on the DoD while we still have the largest Fleet and Air arm in the world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao back to classic spicey

this is what I tune in for

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

windshipper posted:

After this and the last couple of pages I feel confident in saying this- I don't like you on a personal level and you most likely don't get invited to many parties.

I don't give a poo poo.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

windshipper posted:

holy poo poo no one cares about your worthless opinion, gently caress off

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Of course there are areas worth cutting, but there are some sick tax cuts over the years we could throw out.

fair enough. but shouldn't it need to be a little of column A, as well as a little of column B? i guess my question is (operating under the assumption that budget cuts are necessary to ever get the deficit to a surplus and bring the debt down) what are some relatively specific (oxymoron lol) areas that the government unnecessarily wastes money, aside from defense spending?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Its laughable that we want to spend more on the DoD while we still have the largest Fleet and Air arm in the world.

And we fight so many goddamned wars and maintain a permanent presence in so many areas of the world that we're stretched super thin and wearing out our people and equipment faster than it can be replaced.

You can keep gutting the military but if you don't roll back operational requirements we're going to end up with a hollow shell. You're also ignoring that so much of the world has completely gutted its own military forces because the US military could be relied upon.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
This is a press conference filibuster?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

holy poo poo no one cares about your worthless opinion, gently caress off

Yeah that was dumb. Sorry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

This is a press conference filibuster?

yes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not even sure what his point is...this isn't proving anything.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

I'm not even sure what his point is...this isn't proving anything.

if you talk long enough, people forget what the question was

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is he still doubling down on the wiretap claims?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Please by nice to spicer. He was practicing this speech for a long time which is why he was late getting here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shyduck posted:

And Flynn. :stare:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

shyduck posted:

It's practically cubic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

KildarX posted:

Because getting blood[money] from a stone[poor people] is impossible and lol if you think this admin would dream of passing taxes on anyone above a million dollar threshold.

Sure, I just meant philosophically.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Please by nice to spicer. He was practicing this speech for a long time which is why he was late getting here.

Bullshit, my Coms1101 teacher didn't allow us to read verbatim from a prepared speech. Only let us use note cards.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
lol now he's reading quotes from Fox News

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

None of the NYT articles he cited support their claims

This is beyond batshit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

fair enough. but shouldn't it need to be a little of column A, as well as a little of column B? i guess my question is (operating under the assumption that budget cuts are necessary to ever get the deficit to a surplus and bring the debt down) what are some relatively specific (oxymoron lol) areas that the government unnecessarily wastes money, aside from defense spending?

nah we really don't have much to cut from the federal budget that is actually wasteful. Is there some wasteful spending? Absolutely. Is it an appreciable amount of any budget? Outside of defense, not really.

We are essentially a tax haven at this point, though, and continue to cut taxes for the wealthiest people for no reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

And we fight so many goddamned wars and maintain a permanent presence in so many areas of the world that we're stretched super thin and wearing out our people and equipment faster than it can be replaced.

You can keep gutting the military but if you don't roll back operational requirements we're going to end up with a hollow shell. You're also ignoring that so much of the world has completely gutted its own military forces because the US military could be relied upon.

Nobody is arguing gut the military, but we don't need $50 billion MORE spent on it!

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/03/trumps-bigger-military-wont-necessarily-make-us-stronger-or-safer/136212/?oref=DefenseOneFB

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Third World Reggin posted:

so nervous he spilled his drink on his tie

i'm trying to picture him in the bathroom mirror trying to dry it off under one of those air powered hand dry things.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

shyduck posted:

None of the NYT articles he cited support their claims

This is beyond batshit

I am glad the other guy isn't the press secretary. It's a small blessing that Trump et al tend to be really bad at their jobs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

We are essentially a tax haven at this point, though, and continue to cut taxes for the wealthiest people for no reason.
It seems like Reaganomics 2.0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

Nobody is arguing gut the military, but we don't need $50 billion MORE spent on it!

I am. We're still building tanks to park in the desert. We're still fighting a war in Afghanistan for no reason whatsoever. There are massive parts of the defense budget that could be cut.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

I am. We're still building tanks to park in the desert. We're still fighting a war in Afghanistan for no reason whatsoever. There are massive parts of the defense budget that could be cut.

We could simply take those funds and use them where needed. Instead of dumping more into it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

As a former submariner, we could use less subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Spicer is loving melting down right now

• Locked thread