Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've been feeling Warlord a lot lately, amazing for keeping pressure on someone via light attacks having superior block and being able to trade heavies when they get desperate or sloppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Ashrik posted:

I'm about to hit prestige 3 on Shugoki and I'm only loving this character more and more. When you get someone into a corner and pummel them to pieces it feels so good. No clue how it works on high level play (it probably doesn't), but in low-to-mid level, what a blast.

I got one shot by a Shugoki with max gear. So he's cool if you can pull that off.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FunkMonkey posted:

It's a fun class, to be sure. I've been using the fat man for duel orders since hahaha gently caress doing it on Lawbringer anymore. The big thing with more advanced play is to time/bait your heavies so that the enemy will waste their attempted counter on your shield while you slam them. Also, wall staggering enemies gets you a guaranteed Embrace.
drat it's fun. Light hit, headbut, GB, throw into wall, demon's embrace, charged unblockable heavy. Rage quit.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i have not played lawbringer at all, is their blocked light into dash a true combo? played against a very good one the other day who was basically getting me to 0 stamina every round. had to play backing away and countering as much as possible because if he threw out a light and i blocked it, he'd bash. was a very interesting style, he only played two games against me so i didn't get to play against it a ton.

started playing shugoki in duels and it is just raw fun

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

cams posted:

i have not played lawbringer at all, is their blocked light into dash a true combo? played against a very good one the other day who was basically getting me to 0 stamina every round. had to play backing away and countering as much as possible because if he threw out a light and i blocked it, he'd bash. was a very interesting style, he only played two games against me so i didn't get to play against it a ton.

started playing shugoki in duels and it is just raw fun

No, but you can combo into a shove when you block an attack. He probably immediately dodged into a shove (like Conquerer's shield barge or warlord's headbutt) each time you blocked him. Since the shove doesn't combo into anything guaranteed you can shove and exhaust until the cows come home, but it's pointless if your opponent can just back off and defend until they recover, and shoving has its own significant stamina cost if spammed.

Edit: If I were a more pushy person and exhaustion actually meant anything in this game beyond a minor inconvenience,I would suggest that LB'S shove knock the opponent down when they're exhausted like it does during revenge mode. But that would be overpowered and too easily abused, much like revenge is currently.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 16, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

FunkMonkey posted:

Edit: If I were a more pushy person and exhaustion actually meant anything in this game beyond a minor inconvenience,I would suggest that LB'S shove knock the opponent down when they're exhausted like it does during revenge mode. But that would be overpowered and too easily abused, much like revenge is currently.

Yeah god forbid Lawbringer have something good going for them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah god forbid Lawbringer have something good going for them.

Preaching to the choir friend. I'm speaking in the context of my improvement wishlist on the previous page.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Fuzz posted:

The zone hits everywhere but straight ahead of you in those 90 frames, too. You can apparently unlock and turn left immediately on starting it to catch people immediately by surprise, but it's risky as gently caress and if they're blocking left they have free reign to punish you and probably kill you before you can regain lock and block in the correct direction.
This is called dead angling I guess and works for any attack in the game with 180°. Some one who knows more than I do can say more.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sogol posted:

This is called dead angling I guess and works for any attack in the game with 180°. Some one who knows more than I do can say more.

"Dead angling" sounds like the name of some no-budget Steam greenlight game about fishing during a zombie apocalypse.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

FunkMonkey posted:

"Dead angling" sounds like the name of some no-budget Steam greenlight game about fishing during a zombie apocalypse.

See! I knew someone could clear it up.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Running into more and more people who can parry my light attacks which makes it difficult to open people up as valk. I guess I need to start heavy feinting into light attacks or something to switch it up. People seem to be getting used to whiffing a light attack into a second light attack. I'm just amazed when they can parry the follow-up. I guess I'm just getting old.

That being said I was doing better once I stopped trying to be aggressive and get my combo going and whittle people down with single light attacks. I also really really need to practice the forward dash guard break to punish heavy parries because I whiff it every time and leave myself vulnerable.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
"Hey, people remembered Hyper Armour in traditional fighting games, let's have a guy with that!"
"Okay! But be sure to make him take extra damage when it's off, and give some classes chains so close that he can lose it and get hit again in the startup of his first move!"
"That sounds awesome! Shall we make sure he blocks slowest too?"
"Don't forget to ensure Bleeds don't give a poo poo about the -damage % too!"

There's such a good kernel of a game in here. When it works, I really like it, but it's wrapped up in so much bizarrely done bullshit. And worse, being Ubi we know they won't correct it, they'll just wait until Winter 2017 to slam out For Honor 2 - This Time It's Workable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Totally right. It might be a bit early to make this call, but I can safely say that Ubisoft's For Honor will go down in history as one of the great competitive games of this or any generation. It's just attracted such dedicated, passionate fans, and in such great numbers. The balance of the game is just top notch, and much like the classics I can see it being played for decades to come, inspiring generations of new gamers with its innovative play style and unmatched polish. In my mind, the perfectly balanced video games would be:

Starcraft

For Honor

Counterstrike

LOL thank you for this

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing that makes Shugoki rather weak I find is that a guardbreak will make them lose their armor even if they immediately counter it, then you can just spam attacks at them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I see Shugoki as a 4v4 character simply because they can grab a revenging rear end in a top hat for like 4 seconds while the team beats them down

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing that makes Shugoki rather weak I find is that a guardbreak will make them lose their armor even if they immediately counter it, then you can just spam attacks at them.

This is pretty much my default strategy for facing Shugoki. Always guardbreaking to erase his armor. Guard top because top light is the only attack fast enough to not get parried.

Playing him is fun. You can steal a lot of wins solely because otherwise good players haven't played against him and don't know his moveset. He's a monster in 4v4 when people don't parry as much. Just spam charged heavy while they fight someone else!

I also like the tension of fighting as or against a critical health Shugoki. If you're near a wall, one parry or failed CGB means Shugoki wins, no matter your health.

I only stopped playing him because of his slow guard change. If they fixed that I'd probably go back. Also the Charge of the Oni/GB mixup where you sorta sprint towards them over and over again like a bull is annoying to do.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I think Peacekeeper should be just replaced with a rock-paper-scissors minigame.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Shockeh posted:

And worse, being Ubi we know they won't correct it, they'll just wait until Winter 2017 to slam out For Honor 2 - This Time It's Workable.

Is that what happened with Division and R6 Siege?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I think Peacekeeper should be just replaced with a rock-paper-scissors minigame.

It's more of a coin flip for some classes. One that you lose the second time if you win the first.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Nah, for better or worse I think ubisoft has embraced software as a service thinking on some titles at least

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Have there been any balance changes to this since the Valkyrie patch? Or bug fixes?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

Have there been any balance changes to this since the Valkyrie patch? Or bug fixes?

They just released an update that supposedly fixes matchmaking and connection bugs. Last week they slightly nerfed Conq and Warlord by making all block not instant. It has a slight (not really noticeable, even in high level play) delay now.

There's more balance changes coming I guess. They've been pretty coy but have confirmed that they're going to reduce the effectiveness of stacking revenge gear.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wandle Cax posted:

Sort of. They both released in a super miserable state, after some time of patching running off a more dedicated smaller playerbase, Siege went on to become fun and a huge ton of people came back to it and it's been doing good since, I've heard that Division also got/is getting it together after it's had some time to patch and work things out as well, so that's starting to look like the current ubisoft situation and it's kind of why I won't jump on any of the doomsaying bandwagons for this game, especially when the dev team here have been pretty transparent about things and recognize there's problems to fix.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I don't doubt their willingness to make things better so much as their ability to adroitly identify and solve existing problems. We'll have to see.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Vortex spamming wardens sure don't like getting poked by nobushis, I might need to take some medicine for all the salt that got hurled my way :stare:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

No matter who I'm playing as Nobushi is my least favorite matchup.

Poison through a block sucks.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm a euro and first time tonight I got the urge to disable text chat because I got some really loving vitriolic poo poo for sucking as a prestige 3 Orochi in Brawl. To be fair, I really, really, did. I feel like I know the basics of the game but fail to apply them constantly and my parry game is horrendous. I know the US is constant in shouting racial slurs but I haven't had such a bad time in Europe apart from freaquent leavers. When I queue duel and get someone who beats my rear end but will stay for a number of duels I get the chance to learn how to play against them and those matches can actually be weirdly polite.

That being said, has anyone had the experience of suddenly getting matched with much tougher opponents than before? Before last/this night I had either fairly even opponents or just absolute trash that barely ever managed to avoid my storm rushes and I was getting constant victories for such a long time, whereas now I'm getting deservedly parried and I'm mostly using it as a feint. So many leavers in those earlier "brackets" too. I wonder if those leavers are skewing their MMR which just causes you to get them in certain rankings because the matchmaking is ranking them higher than it should. The leavers with bottom of the barrel skill level kinda get to me because I feel like they slowed down my learning process. I feel like you really can't get better until you fight against at least a half-competent player of each class.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Are there any decent videos for learning poo poo? As in not 'HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP HOW Y'ALL DOING NEW VIDEO HERE TALKING ABOUT SOME SWEET STRATS I'M A JACKASS YOUTUBER' videos. I tried finding some and now I want to rip my ears off.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Floppychop posted:

No matter who I'm playing as Nobushi is my least favorite matchup.

Poison through a block sucks.

I love playing against Nobushi as conq. They're really not used to having their range matched by non-nobushi characters. They're one of the few classes that can punish the usual shield bash chain, so it's a nice change of pace.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Are there any decent videos for learning poo poo? As in not 'HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP HOW Y'ALL DOING NEW VIDEO HERE TALKING ABOUT SOME SWEET STRATS I'M A JACKASS YOUTUBER' videos. I tried finding some and now I want to rip my ears off.

This guy is covered a bunch (all?) the heroes with little videos with a higher level player of that particular class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3ZFSeULXY

edit: it looks like the forums don't like linking to youtube playlists, so I linked to one individual videos in this series.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
why does warlord headbutt knockdown in revenge mode, warlord suck my dick

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Wandle Cax posted:

R6:Siege is a much closer comparison. For Honor and Siege were made in Montreal in the same building by teams that are pretty close, have the same DLC model (free maps, grind for characters, pay to skip and get early access), are both competitive PVP games that focus on core gameplay, and are both well designed and fresh despite being consistently broken. After a pretty rough start, Siege is well into solid year 2 support.

The Division was made in Sweden by Massive entertainment, charges for each expansion, has terrible PVP and serviceable PVE focused on bloating playtime, and could not manage to properly copy diablo on the first try. As it enters the final phase of community testing and PVP rebalancing, year 2 announcements were made and youtubers responded with titles like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy5aQpyTnhY

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I'm gonna check out the ones Captain Beans linked but holy poo poo they are really long.

I also can't stand youtubers but this is the right level of breadth/depth for a scrub like me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKCKbv4RKjU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Dimo ArKacho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgbilcRtTGU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've found the number one way to reduce salt in duels is to compliment the other person's emblem before you fight. This may be confirmation bias (probably is) but every time I've done that the other person was super chill all game.

This advice doesn't work if they're running a Nazi symbol.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

I've found the number one way to reduce salt in duels is to compliment the other person's emblem before you fight. This may be confirmation bias (probably is) but every time I've done that the other person was super chill all game.

This advice doesn't work if they're running a Nazi symbol.

How do you do this with various combinations of Wow! Sorry! Thanks!

E: currently kicking rear end relatively speaking in dominion as a level 5 warlord with literally no gear against purple and gold guys prestige 3 & 4 feels pretty good

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 17, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah Dominion players are garbage. I love when there's Duel dailies because these prestige 8 Dominion players don't know how to play without a buddy helping them or being able to pop Revenge every 8 seconds.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 17, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same but with duel-stars crying about honor when doing Elim or Dom

everyone in this game is terrible, including and especially me

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yeah Dominion players are garbage. I love when there's Duel dailies because these prestige 8 Dominion players don't know how to play without a buddy helping them or being able to pop Revenge every 8 seconds.

Truth. I finally bit the bullet and bought this, and holy poo poo I love it.

I feel like there's an even enough balance between honorabu duels and 3v1 clownings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Without going into individual class balance, this is what I'd like to see changed in a patch.

- Fix Zone attacks flashing from 2 directions at once.
- Unlocking effecting attacks in weird glitchy ways
- Powerup power reduced by half, half a health bar instead of a full second one is more then enough, hitting for 50% more instead of 100% is enough.
- No gearstat 4vs4 queue option
- Partial reward and order credit if your entire match decides to drop everyone because one person decided to quit.
- Revenge nerf when only facing 1 opponent, no revenge in the 1vs1 duel mode.
- Revive speed waaaay down or change revive speed on gear to health restored on revive and make revived people come back with 25% hp by default.
- Vs AI orders also letting you complete them against players.
- Orders time to complete cut in half, 5 game orders going to 3, 50 kills going to 25, 20 executes to 10, ect, most of them just take way too long and they should remove the orders that are just "play this gamemode but not as this one type of class"
- Feats starting on cooldown on a fresh round of elimination, including the passive boosts.
- Just something I'd like to see, a 4vs4 map that has every player locked into a 1vs1 arena with a closed gate that only opens when one of them dies and opens into a lobby leading to the other chambers with a lever to open the gates from the outside, no powerups on the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

same but with duel-stars crying about honor when doing Elim or Dom

everyone in this game is terrible, including and especially me

Exactly. I love when duel snowflakes with no concept of teamwork or managing the environment come into a 4v4 mode and get utterly outmaneuvered, crying all the while at what a moral atrocity it is that people don't just queue up to fight them like some bad kung fu film.

Specialize all you like at one type of mode, but then you're going to be poo poo at the others. Whining that dynamics from your mode of preference should be imposed on the others is laughably childish.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 17, 2017