Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Yeah the compresores power adapter is annoying. It does have the LED to indicate the compression which is a nice feature. For $140 it was hard to pass it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I was considering the MXR compressor, but I went with the SpectraComp from TC Electronic. It has only one knob, but if you hook it up to your computer, you'll see that it's a very customizable multi-band compressor. You can tweak it to your preference or download pre-made tone prints. Hell, you can even change the function of the knob if you want. And, it's, like, $80 or something like that.

Check out some videos. I'm using it now and it's an amazing compressor. I'm running it mostly stock, and it compresses nicely without squashing the tone. (Though, if you like that, you can have it do that.)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I got one of these and I have no complaints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyElqbOcG4

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
^ Keeley Bassist is great. Easy to dial in and completely transparent.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I'm thinking about putting together a parts bass with a spare seymour duncan SRB-1b and a p bass neck I have. Anyone have any experience with paulownia for a body? Supposedly it's really light which my back will appreciate but I don't want it to sound hollow.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Fierce Brosnan posted:

^ Keeley Bassist is great. Easy to dial in and completely transparent.

Same here, the Bassist is great. Used it for many years with no complaints.

I recently replaced it, though, with a Cali76 Compact Bass Deluxe. *THAT* thing loving rules.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Sounds like the bassist here is probably using flats. Were roundwounds even a thing in 1971?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxz_gNx1q8w

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Sounds like the bassist here is probably using flats. Were roundwounds even a thing in 1971?

RotoSound developed the Swing Bass rounds in 1966. Not sure if anyone had rounds before then.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Everyone should use flats and if you aren't using flats then the only other option should be tapewounds. It's called a bass guitar, not a jingle jangle sparkle guitar

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I could agree with this so long as there's an exception for 4001s and 4003s. Haven't tried flats, but tapes were not the thing. Nothing wrong with the strings, they found a home on a Guild acoustic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rio posted:

Everyone should use flats and if you aren't using flats then the only other option should be tapewounds. It's called a bass guitar, not a jingle jangle sparkle guitar

I like how 90% of bands spend forever getting their bass to sit in the mix right and essentially achieve what flats do by default.

I mean I'm using rounds right now because I missed the feel and clank but flats are king. I usually jump from bass to guitar and use a looper to flesh out song ideas and the first time I played flats under my guitar work I had the best aha moment. It just works and fills up all the appropriate space.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yes Greg Ridley used flats and foam under the strings.

rio posted:

Jaco used roundwounds so how about you get off my lawn?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

As a bassist, you at least have to have a Precision with flats. You Have To.

My sunburst PJ is my dedicated flats machine and it still has a crazy amount of bite and pop if you roll the P pickup off a hair and play over the back pickup.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Yes Greg Ridley used flats and foam under the strings.
Jaco used roundwounds so how about you get off my lawn?

Jaco was a great player but his tone sounded like poo poo.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I want a jingle jangle sparkle bass.

I've only ever owned one bass with flats in my playing years, they just weren't for me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Using the Darkglass B3K on flats is a bit interesting and love it. My tone is normally a bit dark, so my tone knob is usually floating around half way anyways.

I was wondering where all the "grind" of the B3K was until I turned up my tone knob and it introduced that "stainless steel canoe paddling down a river of clank" sound that the B3K is famous for.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bill Posters posted:

plus he had zero sense of style.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The only time I want flats are on a fretless. Give me all the clank you got, baby

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NarkyBark posted:

The only time I want flats are on a fretless. Give me all the clank you got, baby

Maximum clank is steel strings, and are pretty much the only way to get a five string to not sound muddy as hell.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bill Posters posted:

loving THANK YOU.

And while we're at it, Victor Wooten has lovely groove and often ruins songs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't go crazy for Jaco and definitely don't care for his tone but it and his playing both are perfect on Bright Size Life. That album is special though. There was something magic going on there.

Wooten though, eh I can't say a bad thing about him. I don't like probably 70% of his music but I can't think of anyone who has a stronger sense of groove and music in general than him.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

loving THANK YOU.

And while we're at it, Victor Wooten has lovely groove and often ruins songs.

Wooten is like the bass version of all those guitar shredders who are technically amazing but have absolutely zero musical taste and produce nothing but boring wankery.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I have all the edgy opinions.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/eynnYLXW3Fo

When Wooten is in that mode he's ace

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I thought he was about to bust out Everlong at the beginning there

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's like when Miles Davis would talk poo poo on Freddie Hubbard for playing so many notes. There's no feeling or reasoning behind it to me. He gets into a decent groove then throws in some random run, or some kind of double/triple/quadruple/septuple thump that doesn't really have anything to do with anything else that's going on. It's fine if you want to do poo poo like that, but have it actually add to what you're playing.

Perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyVmXZXMCP0 Goes to poo poo right around the 1:00 mark.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If you're going to post a video of a man masturbating then you should at tag it as NSFW imo.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

As someone who only listens to recordings of those all-bass bands at NAMM, I...

NarkyBark posted:

Flatwounds are really the only way to go when you have a fretless bass with piezo pickup.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Same here, the Bassist is great. Used it for many years with no complaints.

I recently replaced it, though, with a Cali76 Compact Bass Deluxe. *THAT* thing loving rules.

Ooh, that one looks nice. Dry blend is something a lot of bass pedals should have, and the side-chain HPF is a really smart idea.

What are you all using for overdrive/distortion? I like my Barbershop a lot, but I'm looking into getting something heavier for the metal band I'm currently in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Scarf posted:

It's like when Miles Davis would talk poo poo on Freddie Hubbard for playing so many notes. There's no feeling or reasoning behind it to me. He gets into a decent groove then throws in some random run, or some kind of double/triple/quadruple/septuple thump that doesn't really have anything to do with anything else that's going on. It's fine if you want to do poo poo like that, but have it actually add to what you're playing.

Perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyVmXZXMCP0 Goes to poo poo right around the 1:00 mark.

I hope he called that bass the next day.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-ZrQPfY5o

I just can't find this enjoyable. Loving the Behold... The Arctopus intro.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I actually kind of liked that, it had minimum Wooten wankery.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Holy hell, that's a lot of prog to handle first thing in the morning.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I actually never got to show of my new Sandberg from January:

Active/passive 34" five string, and it sounds and handles amazingly. I thought the active stuff was a bit too much, but I actually really like having a bass boost, and in a less metallic band I might enjoy the treble boost too. The humbucker splits, which means there are a lot of tonal options, and there is next to no noise from the pickups.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-ZrQPfY5o

I just can't find this enjoyable. Loving the Behold... The Arctopus intro.

Not my cup of tea but still enjoyed listening and watching it. My biggest complaint is the drummer - they have a good prog dad vibe going on and they need to complete the prog dads + Wooten band by getting a prog dad drummer. Also the third prog dad (one of the keyboardists) needs to participate in the long hair/missing hair thing going on but I don't know what he should do. We have the long hair in the back/missing hair in the front from the guitarist and the long hair on the chin/missing hair on the rest of the face from the keyboardist. Maybe a long sideburns mustache combo to fill in what the other keyboardist is missing or long rear end bangs and a short back to fill in the guitarists missing hair.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I love this video of Victor Wooten and loving Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse. Him hitting the first note and blasting the audience, and then Alex just straight stays on the same riff for the entire 8 minutes, and the other two trying to figure out if hes ever gonna change, so many loving weird things going on. I just love every moment of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA_4Wzjo7fg

Bonus Cannibal Corpse, no vocals, this band is so insane I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zTvdN_38Y

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Ooh, that one looks nice. Dry blend is something a lot of bass pedals should have, and the side-chain HPF is a really smart idea.

What are you all using for overdrive/distortion? I like my Barbershop a lot, but I'm looking into getting something heavier for the metal band I'm currently in.

It's so good. If you've ever played through a real 1176 you know how much extra special sauce it adds to your tone, and this thing has that with all the special studio tricks you can add. It's amazing.

Metal distortion = Darkglass B3K. It's sorta become the ~de rigueur~ metal bass distortion, but that's because it crushes.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

BonHair posted:

I actually never got to show of my new Sandberg from January:

Nice! I've only been able to get hands on with a single Sandberg. I'm not familiar enough with their models but it was more of a standard J, just a very very nice one. Very pricey in the US.

That one piques my interest! I've been looking for 5 string more like my Sterling HS than a Stingray 5. Just poking around trying ID it, is that a TM5? Stupid Q: how's the pickup selector work if the MM is splittable? Is one of the knobs a 5-way position switch?

If anyone else has a suggestion for a slightly smaller 5 w/o a floppy B, preferably J/H, or dual H, I'm all ears. I've been keeping my eyes open for an older Spector, but no good luck yet.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pumped up for school posted:

Nice! I've only been able to get hands on with a single Sandberg. I'm not familiar enough with their models but it was more of a standard J, just a very very nice one. Very pricey in the US.

That one piques my interest! I've been looking for 5 string more like my Sterling HS than a Stingray 5. Just poking around trying ID it, is that a TM5? Stupid Q: how's the pickup selector work if the MM is splittable? Is one of the knobs a 5-way position switch?

If anyone else has a suggestion for a slightly smaller 5 w/o a floppy B, preferably J/H, or dual H, I'm all ears. I've been keeping my eyes open for an older Spector, but no good luck yet.

What do you mean by slightly smaller? I'd recommend a Lakland 55-02, or if you have the bank, Lakland 55-94 or 55-14. Features a coil-tap for the H, and yeah, uses a blend knob as the "selector."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

What do you mean by slightly smaller? I'd recommend a Lakland 55-02, or if you have the bank, Lakland 55-94 or 55-14. Features a coil-tap for the H, and yeah, uses a blend knob as the "selector."

Like I have an NS2 that was my main for 15 years. Just a smaller body than a P or a J bass. I was a scrawny little poo poo; it fit me well.

Then when I finally decided to buy a Stingray, I didn't adapt well. Tried a Sterling and loved it (a little bit smaller and thinner neck, not just narrower at the nut).

I have tried and tried again to like Ibanez basses, and all I like is the neck.

The 55-02 is in the price range I've been eyeballing, and they pop up used often. I've definitely been keeping them on my search radar.

e: I should mention I will probably just end up with a Sterling 5. Just looking for other ideas.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 18, 2017