Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She was originally gonna be part of the team, but they vouched for Haru to be the character they add late into planning stages so they just decided to give Hifumi some of the dumbest poo poo to get from ranking her up in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That reminds me, making social links/confidants have abilities that help in battles and dungeon crawls like that is simultaneously really smart and also gonna cause a whole lot of decision paralysis in me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This game is gonna be worse than Nier

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

So is ur life which this game coincidentally is also worse than

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That sounds rough, my life is bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also play Nier shitlords

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arist posted:

Also play Nier shitlords

It's not out yet until tonight :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

No need for this 2017 is shaping up to be an Epic Year in Gaming and its possible to like both games as well

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Arist posted:

Also play Nier shitlords

Too busy playing Zelda, will get around to Nier once I'm done with that and Persona 5

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wizard on a water slide posted:

No need for this 2017 is shaping up to be an Epic Year in Gaming and its possible to like both games as well

I don't actually care about any weird rivalry between Persona and Nier, just trying to share my love for Nier through the medium of shitposts

Persona's gonna be good, I'm hype for it, it's just that posting negatively about it in this thread is funnier to me

Also Nier is legit the best game I've yet played this year

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
haru's gundress persona is good, but lets not forget the actual motorcycle persona and ann's hot victorian dom persona

Yeah I'm gonna have to become Hifumi's blood brother instantly cause I want to use everyone in this game

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Too busy playing Zelda, will get around to Nier once I'm done with that and Persona 5
exactly same

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Moltrey posted:

lets not forget the actual motorcycle persona

No, but we will apparently forget the best thing about it:

The motorcycle is also the Pope

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe after Nier deletes your save data it can delete your posts too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Nier is a really good/well-made game, even if it doesn't really interest me much personally. I am glad it exists.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
For the people who played this already: is it as good as Persona 4?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think a lot of the people here who have already played this game are so hot on P4 anymore. I mean, I still love it, but the Megaten thread at large is a little sick of that game.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
better than p4

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
also i liked nier better than this game but both were good ok.

the big difference is that this game takes 95 hours to 100 hours to finish while nier takes like 30 hours.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't think a lot of the people here who have already played this game are so hot on P4 anymore. I mean, I still love it, but the Megaten thread at large is a little sick of that game.

Aw man is it no longer hip and with it to like Persona 4

Am I the olds? Am I...gauche???

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So how grindy is this compared to previous Persona games?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Aw man is it no longer hip and with it to like Persona 4

Am I the olds? Am I...gauche???

It's just a game that people have had eight years to really pick apart, there's still people coming in who are new and really enjoy the game and nobody begrudges it, but there's a lot of weird complaining too.

For the record, I'm the exact same way with Persona 3. With some distance my opinion has changed, and I now believe key parts of that game just don't work.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Persona 4 was fantastic. If it's anywhere near as good as P4 I'll be really happy. I mean, if you've played a game for like 200 hours and never want to play it again... that doesn't make it a bad game, it just makes you burned out on it.

edit: I've taken like <since I bought my psp when MGS peace walker came out> years to play P3P, 5 years? 6 years? and I'm as far as december (edit: actually maybe Jan 5 or so), and yeah I don't think P3P is anywhere near as good as P4.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 16, 2017

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

nah persona 4 is a good game, some people where just upset after it got a remake, two anime, two fighting games, a movie, and a dance game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

nah persona 4 is a good game, some people where just upset after it got a remake, two anime, two fighting games, a movie, and a dance game

Yeah it's also this.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
I think Persona 5 is way better than Persona 4, and I say that as someone who still mostly likes Persona 4 (not that P5 is flawless, it has plenty of problems too).

RatHat posted:

On normal difficulty at least, it's not grindy at all. Since the story dungeons are actually designed in specific ways, it feels much less like a monotonous slog to get through them, and simply fighting enemies that cross your path should level you up enough.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 5 is better than P4 in a lot of ways and I can't think of a single thing from P4 that wasn't improved upon unless you cared about the team attacks from Golden or something.

Arist posted:

It's just a game that people have had eight years to really pick apart, there's still people coming in who are new and really enjoy the game and nobody begrudges it, but there's a lot of weird complaining too.

For the record, I'm the exact same way with Persona 3. With some distance my opinion has changed, and I now believe key parts of that game just don't work.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

Also this

RatHat posted:

If you want to max level, very. If not then you should be fine. This game doesn't have the grind dungeon from 3 or the cards from 4 after battles, so grinding for levels is more tedious and not worth it, tbh.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I've had the privilege of only playing like half of PQ after beating Persona 4, but even after I beat P4, I still say P3 is the best Persona game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

P5 isn't grindy at all. The only reason you can't do the dungeons in a single go is if you run out of SP.

CAVEAT: I don't recall grinding in P4 at all.

I like P5 more than P4 overall.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

naoto

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
P4 in a vacuum is better than P3. P5, both inside and out of the vacuum is better than both P4 and P3 combined. However with all the spinoff stuff we've gotten over the last 8 years its hard not to grow to resent the P4 cast. If you ignore the 8 years of spin offs we've gotten as well as 8 years of discussion about the game it's hard to not grow tired of a cast the way we have with the P4 cast. I think P5 will be a refreshing installment in the series and afterwards I'll probably go back through and play P3 and P4 again to appreciate both of them for what they've done to make P5 what it is

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I hope P6 features older characters. I'm tired of HS.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stop asking for it, you're not getting it. It's a step forward they even let you date older women, let alone have adults mean anything in the cast. Even some people would debate if that were a step forward.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

P4 in a vacuum is better than P3. P5, both inside and out of the vacuum is better than both P4 and P3 combined. However with all the spinoff stuff we've gotten over the last 8 years its hard not to grow to resent the P4 cast. If you ignore the 8 years of spin offs we've gotten as well as 8 years of discussion about the game it's hard to not grow tired of a cast the way we have with the P4 cast. I think P5 will be a refreshing installment in the series and afterwards I'll probably go back through and play P3 and P4 again to appreciate both of them for what they've done to make P5 what it is

I sometimes forget that a lot of people didn't just ignore all the gratuitous spinoffs.

I WAS worried for a while that with how hard they were milking the P4 cow that Persona 5 wouldn't wind up being a truly standalone product, like its predecessors, but things turned out fine. Persona 4 is still a good game, even if they did spend 8 years rehashing the same goddamn character arcs over and over again in different games.

Captain Baal posted:

Stop asking for it, you're not getting it. It's a step forward they even let you date older women, let alone have adults mean anything in the cast. Even some people would debate if that were a step forward.

Eh, can't begrudge anyone being frustrated with the fixation on high school, even if Persona does a better job of making it not seem as out of place.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

How about FeMC?

Also Catherine had working adults as the main cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

i think you could have a main character in his last year of high school and have some adult party members, but yeah, they're never taking the main character out of high school

Alder posted:

How about FeMC?

catherine isn't a persona game. it was a low budget puzzle game made to test out an engine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
We're never getting a Persona 2-esque adulthood focused game and sometimes we have to move on

I'm honestly not expecting this to be much more than a A Really Good Persona Game, which sounds super dumb when I say it out loud, but i dunno I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit I guess considering that I've cooled a bit on P3/P4. All I realistically want out of The Next Persona is better character writing, an overworld that's more than like three screens while still keeping a good vibe and a story with a better twist/solution that isn't really stupid I've already basically spoiled myself ON the twist cause I'm an idiot but I'm looking forward to see how the whole thing is handled

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

It's me. I'm the one who's not on board with secondary school students dating adults. It wasn't okay in Sailor Moon and it's not okay now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

How about FeMC?

Catherine's a different type of game and for a different audience I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

It's me. I'm the one who's not on board with secondary school students dating adults. It wasn't okay in Sailor Moon and it's not okay now.
to be fair mamoru's 17, he skipped a grade or two