Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Uhh how about just talk to the dude about it.

I did! I was just probably a little too snippy about it having just gotten home from work.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I ate dinner next to a friend I've known for 20 years the other night, and the fucker never even said a word. He stunk a bit too. You might say he was... deathly silent. sorry I'll go hide now If I can do that, I think you can eat dinner with a car battery. My shirt still smells like, well... death. Death ashes. I mean I'd be annoyed the battery wasn't at least placed on something to protect the table, assuming it's a table you give a drat about....

I'm very sorry you had to do that STR, but my kitchen table gripe is a very different situation, and I don't think the battery is as important to him as the urn is to your friends dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

I'm crying over here. Bless you internet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I ate dinner next to a friend I've known for 20 years the other night, and the fucker never even said a word. He stunk a bit too. You might say he was... deathly silent. sorry I'll go hide now If I can do that, I think you can eat dinner with a car battery. My shirt still smells like, well... death. Death ashes. I mean I'd be annoyed the battery wasn't at least placed on something to protect the table, assuming it's a table you give a drat about....

Don't do this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for the diesel knowledge. That F-250 seems priced suspiciously low but I might run out and take a look at it.

No coal rolling will happen, only upgrades will be for longevity and better mpg.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 16, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that ad is suspect. 97s usually go for a fair bit of coin as they're the last year of the obs. Same with the 94s being the last of the IDIs.
that *should* be a 15 grand truck. or at least, here.

No real need for "longevity" mods. the cab will rot away from the engine long before the engine gets tired. see: my pos. add a small intercooler and do the common fixes, otherwise enjoy it till the sun dies.

kastein: you got that right.

buy a bricknose!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

that ad is suspect. 97s usually go for a fair bit of coin as they're the last year of the obs. Same with the 94s being the last of the IDIs.
that *should* be a 15 grand truck. or at least, here.

Agreed. That ad screams scammer, but you could try it anyway. They are getting smarter, using numbers with a local area code.

Worth a mention, you don't *have* to go diesel, depending on your use. For the occasional, not long distance towing that I do, I found a clean 3500 8.1/allison for $8500. Even at 9mpg, the price difference to get the same truck with a duramax would buy years and years of fuel for me. Same with the LS 6.0 in the 2500HD, also a good motor with obvious aftermarket support.

But the 7.3 powerstroke fords are coming down in price finally. I've seen a couple nice ones around 10k.

Edit: Just posted

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Same pictures are posted in a few spots all over the country, knew it was way too cheap. I'd like to stay under $5k and may end up going gas since they're cheaper and there's so many more of them available.

It would basically be used for towing but I'd probably drive it into work every other week or so to keep fluids moving and stuff. At this point I'd be aiming for 5-10 track days a year with the closest track around 200 miles away. There's really no reason for me to buy a big truck in reality but it would be useful to have since the girlfriend is probably selling her Tacoma which leaves us with the Courier which probably has a lower tow rating than the VW.

At this point I'll probably just borrow a truck/trailer or rent both from u-haul unless something pops up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are a million old ambulances with the 7.3 powerstroke for less than 4 grand. Most reasonable departments retire them before 400k, too.

Strip the literal ton of interior, and you've got a mighty tow vehicle and mobile shop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Same pictures are posted in a few spots all over the country, knew it was way too cheap. I'd like to stay under $5k and may end up going gas since they're cheaper and there's so many more of them available.

It would basically be used for towing but I'd probably drive it into work every other week or so to keep fluids moving and stuff. At this point I'd be aiming for 5-10 track days a year with the closest track around 200 miles away. There's really no reason for me to buy a big truck in reality but it would be useful to have since the girlfriend is probably selling her Tacoma which leaves us with the Courier which probably has a lower tow rating than the VW.

At this point I'll probably just borrow a truck/trailer or rent both from u-haul unless something pops up.

Get you a car that can do both. 70s full size fords are rated to tow 7000lbs.

How baller would you look showing up to the track day with the car on the back of an LTD

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There are a million old ambulances with the 7.3 powerstroke for less than 4 grand. Most reasonable departments retire them before 400k, too.

Strip the literal ton of interior, and you've got a mighty tow vehicle and mobile shop.
One of the guys on our team always used old ambulances, he had a huge flat bed he transferred between them as they died at a million miles or whatever. Multiple times he pulled three cars on a trailer and one on the bed.

Powershift posted:

Get you a car that can do both. 70s full size fords are rated to tow 7000lbs.

How baller would you look showing up to the track day with the car on the back of an LTD
Never thought of that, that would be pretty great. Make a ramp truck car out of some old boat of a car.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Goodbye you rotten piece of trash, I hope you end up cubed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks. He has my sympathy, really, but I'd feel weird jumping into a forum/thread I'm not part of to say anything.

angryrobots posted:

Speaking as a person known to assemble cylinder heads on the kitchen table (when I was single), I still would never bring a used car battery in the house.
I have one in my spare room to power 12v stuff for testing etc. In a plastic tub to stop it leaking, solar charger in the window to keep it topped up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So coming from a while back, but here's a fun fact for you all; after 9/11, Disney twisted the arm of the FAA and got Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) put around both Disneyland and Disney World. Flights within a three-mile radius and below 3000 feet above the ground are not permitted, ostensibly for security reasons but realistically they just don't want people flying around their precious parks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

One of the guys on our team always used old ambulances, he had a huge flat bed he transferred between them as they died at a million miles or whatever. Multiple times he pulled three cars on a trailer and one on the bed.

Never thought of that, that would be pretty great. Make a ramp truck car out of some old boat of a car.

oh gently caress. rampcar limo.

BRB limo shopping.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

So coming from a while back, but here's a fun fact for you all; after 9/11, Disney twisted the arm of the FAA and got Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) put around both Disneyland and Disney World. Flights within a three-mile radius and below 3000 feet above the ground are not permitted, ostensibly for security reasons but realistically they just don't want people flying around their precious parks.
I think it probably is for a reassurance of security.

If they were bothered about people flying close, they wouldn't have built their own runway.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm not affiliated with this at all but got an email about their $11 early-access/alpha since I liked "Big Pharma" enough to buy it from them:

http://www.positech.co.uk/productionline/

positech.co.uk marketing posted:

The main gameplay objective of Production line is implementing the efficiencies discovered by Henry Ford with the original model T car, the system that became the blueprint for the production line revolution, and which still holds fast even today. The principle that dividing a task (such as building a car) up into ever smaller, ever more defined, even simpler tasks will yield higher production performance and thus cheaper cars. To 'win' in production line you need to be able to seek out and fix inefficiencies in a vast production line that snakes with carefully planned precision around a collosal car factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrFgzZM5H0

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

factorio does it funner

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

InitialDave posted:

Thanks. He has my sympathy, really, but I'd feel weird jumping into a forum/thread I'm not part of to say anything.

I totally get this, and was why I hesitated to share here. The YOSPOS catte thread and the linked dogge threads are about as far out of AI that I wander.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Powershift posted:

oh gently caress. rampcar limo.

BRB limo shopping.

I'd love to make an old 7 series BMW into a ramp car even if they are hugely impractical and it would end up costing :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: If Citroen can do it why couldn't I? other than complete lack of fabrication or anything else

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd love to make an old 7 series BMW into a ramp car even if they are hugely impractical and it would end up costing :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: If Citroen can do it why couldn't I? other than complete lack of fabrication or anything else

The citroen is FWD, you can make any dumb FWD junk a car hauler pretty easily.

like this guy. this is the guy you would want to be friends with.

gently caress, now look what you've got me looking up. I had poo poo to do today.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 16, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Goofy half trucks for moving around seaplanes are super cool.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Make the noise!

Project BINKY Ep. 15 is out for Patron scum :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The new GT3 has a ridiculous anime face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOsqp-mXrUo

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's so happy to be red.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

meltie posted:

Make the noise!

Project BINKY Ep. 15 is out for Patron scum :)

Man... I hate getting paid in cash when everything I want to buy is online.

I complained to Amazon after 3 consecutive "guaranteed next day deliveries" were delivered a day late by their weird delivery companies. I get it, I packed FedEx trucks for a while, it sucks to actually distribute packages and delays happen, but instead of notifying me of the change in status, my packages were always marked as "delivery by 9pm" and I couldn't get answers about where my stuff actually was. Now stuff is showing up at noon on the guaranteed day instead of 7pm the day after the guaranteed day, it's pretty great

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Insurance claims management company have confirmed my payout (in the form of vouchers for https://www.wheelies.co.uk) for stolen MTBs. Now I need to read up on potential replacement(s), because Jesus Christ things have changed a bit in that world :corsair:.

Door booked for replacement, but will have a couple of weeks lead time. Socket sets paid out for, angle grinder replacement will be in the post. Just need insurance company to sort out :10bux: for welder and a few other bits, as they're not something the claims management people can provide.

Also going to be sorting out a proper digital 1080p CCTV system with a recorder before actually purchasing replacement stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mountainbikes are now all huge wheeled and 1x10 geared. I miss 26" wheels

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mountainbikes are now all huge wheeled and 1x10 geared. I miss 26" wheels
1x11 now :psyduck:.

27.5"/650b doesn't bother me in and of itself, as long as it's as strong as the old 26" stuff.

EDIT: Bike guys, do modern SRAM trigger shifters shift the "correct" way (thumb under the bar is bigger sprocket/lower gear, finger over the bar is smaller sprocket/higher gear)?

How do 1x11 drietrains cope with "more torque than some small block V8s" riders?

Isn't a 32 or 34 tooth single chainring really undergeared in a lot of situations?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 17, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I believe they use sifferent chainrings.
Sram eagle is 1x12 and has a 50tooth rear cog. That is the almost the size of a compact double big ring.
This allows you to run a big rear end front ring and still go up hills.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I got the job offer from Austin I was looking for but I turned it down because the schedule didn't work for me and my girlfriend and I might move back to Seattle in the fall so I needed flexibility. Oh well, got some good interview experience out of it and it feels good to be wanted.

Good news is I got a promotion at my current job that comes with a hefty raise. Everything's looking up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Fresh off the heels of getting that Lexus and still looking for a Samurai for my wife I found a 1991 Geo Tracker (aka Suzuki SamuraiSidekick) with 36,000 miles on it with A/C and in phenomenal shape. It's bright yellow, has :krad: graphics on the side even. Heading out to look at it tomorrow, they are asking 5k for it. From what I've looked at for these it seems that people run them ragged and they have some sort of computer fault past 200k, they rust like crazy up north and people complain about the lack of power. Otherwise like the Samurai they are die-hard little trucks. Do I have that right?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're right, I've owned them all. The last one I flipped after I got it for 700, fixed the ecu fault (you can get the fix on ebay) cleaned it up and sold it for 3k. Not as cool as Samurais because you cant take the doors off. And yes they are all gutless wonders.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: job chat, was laid off late last month from my lovely computer janitor job at a bottom-feeding call center. Not broken up about losing the job at all (actually if anything I'm better off now) but not having the steady paycheck sucks.

About a week or so before that I had interviewed for a systems engineer position at an IT consulting firm. They had claimed they were looking to make a decision by the end of the first week of March, so when that passed I assumed they had gone with another candidate. This morning I received an email asking if I was still interested and if so could I come in for a second interview next week.

Things are definitely looking up - historically I've never made it to a second interview and not gone on to get the job, and if I can secure a job that quickly I will only have a month of unemployment to gently caress with my taxes at the end of the year, I haven't even blown through all of my meager savings yet and I'm current on all of my bills. I had a serious moment the week after I was laid off of considering changing careers since its been nothing but 1.5 - 2 years between layoffs - laid off (technically my position was eliminated as redundant) from HP as part of their split in 2015 and now because my previous employer lost a health insurance contract worth something between 10-15% of their workforce. I really don't want to bounce from one job to the next every few years at the same pay level in perpetuity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All unemployed goons should move to Valentine Nebraska.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

All unemployed goons should head to Detroit because we can't fill IT jobs nearly as fast as we need em

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

All unemployed goons should head to Detroit because we can't fill IT jobs nearly as fast as we need em

that's because everybody who goes to Detroit gets dead.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been here like 9 years and I am unfortunately still alive

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've been here like 9 years and I am unfortunately still alive

bro you're the whitest person i know clearly you are a ghost.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've been to Detroit twice. gently caress that never going again.

theres weather there and its scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, but you're living in Detroit...

• Locked thread