Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

FWIW an update because I never posted again about my base Boxster 981 from a somewhat shady CL deal:

Picked it up in December, completely as-advertised, and have been having a blast since. I did pick it up with bald tires and got a rebate toward new ones (about $400, better than expected). During the few early days it was rainy in LA, so I had fun taking off traction in the parking lot of the Rose Bowl. There was a bit of body panel damage on the passenger side where the previous owner hit a deer - I'll get around to fixing that next month, finally.

I eventually met the owner who was visiting LA briefly which was actually pleasant - we went for a drive around Angeles Crest and he felt better knowing his baby was in good hands. He had a Jaguar F-Type R for his time in LA - I can't say I've had that much power at my disposal before and I can't say I liked it very much.

A few scattered thoughts:
  • It's been a totally practical daily driver and weekend vacation car.
  • I spend my days being an OCD systems designer and design quirks are one of my biggest pet peeves. I haven't really had time or energy to understand the mechanics but goddamn this is probably the best car I've driven, holistically speaking.* My biggest complaint is not putting the paddle shifters on the stock.
  • How stupid of an idea is: https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/accessport-for-porsche-981-cayman-boxster-991-carrera
  • I can't say I've cared too much about how cars sound like but the Borla exhaust sounds really good on it. Unfortunately, there's a sharp acoustic resonance at 2.2k RPM that fades to normal around 2.8k RPM, unfortunately that tends to be around where I cruise at highway speeds. I'm guessing that resonance doesn't exist with the stock exhaust.
  • Never having owned a flat engine, it seems like it takes a bit longer to warm up than V- or inline? I'm guessing there's more surface area/volume? Combustion is occurring on opposite ends so it takes a lot longer for the whole block to come to temp so there's weird non-uniform thermal expansion? The reason this stands out is that the performance when the engine's warming up feels a bit worse than my V & inline experiences.

*Oddly enough, I bought a vacuum from craigslist and the guy selling it to me a German contractor with Faraday Futures who was just laid off and returning to Germany. Apparently he was a designer for Porsche and had done some of the 981 interior. Small world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

guidoanselmi posted:

FWIW an update because I never posted again about my base Boxster 981 from a somewhat shady CL deal:

Picked it up in December, completely as-advertised, and have been having a blast since. I did pick it up with bald tires and got a rebate toward new ones (about $400, better than expected). During the few early days it was rainy in LA, so I had fun taking off traction in the parking lot of the Rose Bowl. There was a bit of body panel damage on the passenger side where the previous owner hit a deer - I'll get around to fixing that next month, finally.

I eventually met the owner who was visiting LA briefly which was actually pleasant - we went for a drive around Angeles Crest and he felt better knowing his baby was in good hands. He had a Jaguar F-Type R for his time in LA - I can't say I've had that much power at my disposal before and I can't say I liked it very much.

A few scattered thoughts:
  • It's been a totally practical daily driver and weekend vacation car.
  • I spend my days being an OCD systems designer and design quirks are one of my biggest pet peeves. I haven't really had time or energy to understand the mechanics but goddamn this is probably the best car I've driven, holistically speaking.* My biggest complaint is not putting the paddle shifters on the stock.
  • How stupid of an idea is: https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/accessport-for-porsche-981-cayman-boxster-991-carrera
  • I can't say I've cared too much about how cars sound like but the Borla exhaust sounds really good on it. Unfortunately, there's a sharp acoustic resonance at 2.2k RPM that fades to normal around 2.8k RPM, unfortunately that tends to be around where I cruise at highway speeds. I'm guessing that resonance doesn't exist with the stock exhaust.
  • Never having owned a flat engine, it seems like it takes a bit longer to warm up than V- or inline? I'm guessing there's more surface area/volume? Combustion is occurring on opposite ends so it takes a lot longer for the whole block to come to temp so there's weird non-uniform thermal expansion? The reason this stands out is that the performance when the engine's warming up feels a bit worse than my V & inline experiences.

*Oddly enough, I bought a vacuum from craigslist and the guy selling it to me a German contractor with Faraday Futures who was just laid off and returning to Germany. Apparently he was a designer for Porsche and had done some of the 981 interior. Small world.

Hell yeah, that was a big risk but looks like it paid off in spades. Also get the cobb tuning setup because they're about as safe and convenient as a tune ever gets.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Congratulations. Looks really nice in that color.

I've noticed on my 997s that it takes a while for the oil to warm up. Radiator fluid is really fast, though. I suspect it's because the car is designed to handle high RPMs for an extended period, so the system is really good at getting rid of heat, but I don't know anything more technical than that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They have a shitload of coolant and double the oil of what most cars have which probably accounts for the longer warm-up.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I think pretty much every aftermarket exhaust for the 981 has issues with droning at some rpm or another. The Cobb Accessport can net you a few extra hp, since the 981 Boxsters have slightly less hp than the Caymans for no reason in particular. From the research I've done, you'll be hard pressed to make any gains past that for the 2.7L base motors. Headers are about the only thing you can do that will be worth the money, however the jury is still out on whether or not the lack of heat shielding around aftermarket headers will roast your coil packs.

Also yeah lol at the time it takes for your oil to heat up. When it's cold out, I have to drive for nearly 20 minutes to see regular operating temps. Meanwhile my E46 M3 used to heat up before I got to the end of the street.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The warm up time is something that definitely worries me about my Cayman. By the time I get to work my oil temp is just getting to about 150 degrees, while it's at over 200 when fully warm. A 3.4L engine is just big I guess.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
New wheels are in. They just need some touch ups for flaking paint in a couple spots but structurally they're fine which is good because refinishing 2 piece wheels would be a bitch. The 968's in pretty good shape now with only a little short shift optimization and installing a new shift boot to be fully functional for driving around. Getting the new sunroof on, paintless dent removal, front bumper repair plus respray, overall paint touch-up, and a good buffing is all that's left to really make it a nice car. I'm aiming to have everything arranged by the end of the month and done by the end of April which I think is do-able without much fuss.

Here it is sitting and waiting to have the interior buttoned up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What do you rear-engined menschen think of RWD vs AWD on 911s in the wet? Last time I drove a RWD 996 I nearly got the tail out around me on a downward twist and am wondering if I'm just an idiot or if I need to be additionally careful with a RR car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

The warm up time is something that definitely worries me about my Cayman. By the time I get to work my oil temp is just getting to about 150 degrees, while it's at over 200 when fully warm. A 3.4L engine is just big I guess.

How far is your commute? My E92 M3's up to 210 degrees after about 5 miles, it wants you to do 8 before getting crazy with the LSD so that must be the 'average' warm up they expect. My commute is 11 miles one way. It's a 4 liter so size alone must not have as much to do with it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

How far is your commute? My E92 M3's up to 210 degrees after about 5 miles, it wants you to do 8 before getting crazy with the LSD so that must be the 'average' warm up they expect. My commute is 11 miles one way. It's a 4 liter so size alone must not have as much to do with it.

Yeah but the S65 demands 10 quarts of 10W-60 which is a friggin ton of oil, I suspect the Porsche is the same way. Oil temp hits operating for me pretty much dead on at 7 miles, and the car feels ready to devour dinosaur drippings in large volume by ~10.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, obviously our ambient temps are currently a little higher out here than yours are, whatever minor amount of difference that has. (I thought Residency Evil was a SoCal guy anyhow).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, obviously our ambient temps are currently a little higher out here than yours are, whatever minor amount of difference that has. (I thought Residency Evil was a SoCal guy anyhow).

It's an embarrassingly short 4 miles. And I'm in the midwest at the moment.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

What do you rear-engined menschen think of RWD vs AWD on 911s in the wet? Last time I drove a RWD 996 I nearly got the tail out around me on a downward twist and am wondering if I'm just an idiot or if I need to be additionally careful with a RR car.

The 996 system is not much better than RWD in most cases since it's a dumb and slow viscous coupling which is also why they're so commonly removed to make them RWD. The 997 one is a good electronic controlled unit that can actually react to conditions quickly like most modern systems.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

blk posted:

If I'm reading this right, the back end threatened to break loose as you were going through a curve that slopes down? I assume you were hitting the brakes, or at least engine braking? If so, I don't think AWD will help you. The thing to do is dump any excess speed before you hit the curve. If you need to dump speed while in the curve, point it straight first. Note: I am not an expert, this is just what I learned doing a little reading and spending a lot of time with an MR2 before getting a 911. You do need to be additionally careful with a rear-engined car, though. It's part of the fun, and the ridiculous planted feeling as you speed out of the turn is worth it.

If you were accelerating down the curve, then yes, AWD would make some difference, at least in a 997. Haven't driven a 996 with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NEVER LIFT

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Gorgar posted:

If I'm reading this right, the back end threatened to break loose as you were going through a curve that slopes down? I assume you were hitting the brakes, or at least engine braking? If so, I don't think AWD will help you. The thing to do is dump any excess speed before you hit the curve. If you need to dump speed while in the curve, point it straight first. Note: I am not an expert, this is just what I learned doing a little reading and spending a lot of time with an MR2 before getting a 911. You do need to be additionally careful with a rear-engined car, though. It's part of the fun, and the ridiculous planted feeling as you speed out of the turn is worth it.

If you were accelerating down the curve, then yes, AWD would make some difference, at least in a 997. Haven't driven a 996 with it.

The 996 probably wouldn't do anything unless you're already screwed. It needs a speed difference to engage so you'd already have to be slipping pretty hard in the rear to get extra traction. It's also why you have to match the front and rear tire ODs to within a percent or two to keep it from always being under load which gets hard for staggered wheels and even harder if you want to get wider tires to handle extra power without rolling fenders on turbos. The GT2 route is popular because then you can use whatever and most of the time not notice the difference. Also you literally unbolt and remove the differential and that's it for the basic RWD conversion.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I wish it was as easy on the 997 to do a RWD conversion on the 4s. Love the wide body look but not crazy about the extra weight and impact on steering feel.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I love the AWD on the 997, but I'm not a purist. I've had the 2 and the 4, so I think I get the difference in feel, and why the 2 is well-liked, but I really like the agile feeling of having the front end pull a bit into a turn instead of being passively pushed around. Keeps the car feeling poised and balanced. It does make it feel more like a mid-engine car, where a 2 always reminds you you're in a tail-heavy car, which is differently fun.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I've been looking at new (to me) cars and I noticed that mid-2000 Cayman/S's going for the $18k-$22k price point.
They all have at least 80k miles on them though.

Alternatively, I found a screaming deal on a 2012 Cayman for basically half the price and a quarter of the miles. I really want this, but I've been having trouble contacting the seller beyond the initial reply giving me basic information/pictures.

Please tell me this is a dumb idea and I should just go with a 3 year old Mercedes C250 with 18k miles.

Edit: One real question I had, why am I seeing so many of these selling at around 80k miles? Are there massive overhaul jobs required at around 80k miles? I know the IMS bearing is an issue on pre-2009 vehicles. But I've seen a lot of people disclaiming they've replaced it at around 60k.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 20, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I don't know what the market is like in the USA but in the UK I believe the OPC warranty is significantly more expensive past a certain mileage point and people are scared of the depreciation hitting big time once you have to put 80+k on the advert.

Careful with the too good to be true car advert, lots of scams about.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Take a look at what replacement 3.2/3.4L engines cost. Add that to the cost of the car and it's more than what a 987.2 CS would cost. Until the price of the replacement engines come down in line with the value of the cars the 987.1/997.1 are not strong buys.

Also, the DFI 9A1 in the 9x7.2s are basically indestructible. Save up until you can afford one of those, then mileage just becomes a number.

Also, I'm not sure of the engine family on the EFI 2.9L in the base 987.2. Not sure if it's the 9A1 with EFI or an extension of the M96/M97 in the 9x7.1. Just don't get a base Cayman.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why is it impossible to rebuild a porsche water cooled engine for less then $30k? Is it parts availability? Not a large enough market? I would think Dorman would be knocking one off by now. Put it in the help section of autozone. Can you help me get this 3.6 in my cart?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If anyone asks how there's pointless overelectrification in cars these days, just show them this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1DyrhswoIk&t=157s

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

If anyone asks how there's pointless overelectrification in cars these days, just show them this:

I've done this multiple times on multiple cars. It's terrible and retarded because it only works with a battery since any modern charger realizes something's wrong and refuses to power on. The last time it was super cold and once I hooked up my backup sump pump battery to the terminals the lock release was mechanically frozen. The official backup backup procedure is to smash out the left rear taillight and pull a release cable hidden in there but the non-official way is to use plastic shims to push the taillight housing up and use a long hook of strong wire to pull that cable. I happened to have a few long high-strength wires for fixing my skeeball machine and got it open in like 5 minutes but it was not very impressive to my guests that overall it took an hour and lots of googling to open and close the doors properly since the auto-retract of the frameless windows didn't work without power.

That dude is super retarded though, don't limit power with tiny wires, it's meant for jumper cables, jesus christ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On the flipside, the 986's factory cupholder is the best (among flipout ones) in terms of utility and sturdiness that I've seen:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm very jealous of your cupholder. I had to resort to an aftermarket one that slides between teh upper and lower section of the center console stack. It works but eeeeehhhhh.

In 968 news, the aftermarket alarm is gone and the car is now perfectly good for driving around town without looking like an rear end in a top hat with hazards on nonstop. The installer did a great job and no wires required splicing to remove or reconnect because it was all meant to be able to return to stock with minimal effort. There was an imposing amount of wires though. Tomorrow I attempt to fix the sunroof mechanism then fit the glass sunroof and repair all the connectors for the spoiler trim that Porsche decided to poorly glue together. Also I'm 0 for 2 on finding a shift boot that works despite both being 968 compatible but #3 is on the way from the UK so finger crossed that I can look like I'm not driving a ghetto car. I'm also replaced a ton of minor interior and exterior parts that looked like rear end so I'm feeling pretty stoked about the project. Everything has been easier and simpler to fix than expected which is a miracle.

:frogout:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

How good/bad of a deal is this:

2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 2
53k miles, $23,500
http://www.driscollmotors.net/vehicle/used-2003-porsche-911-carrera-2-2548914.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

Rear tires are basically at the end of their life, some of the interior is scuffed up around the key, horrible gas mileage (compared to the newer Cayman automatics)
I also can't tell if there's a seam or perfectly straight crack running down the center of the glass...

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

DevCore posted:

I also can't tell if there's a seam or perfectly straight crack running down the center of the glass...

It's the AM/FM antenna, perfectly normal

How the hell did you even make that out from those low res photos

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

thechalkoutline posted:

It's the AM/FM antenna, perfectly normal

How the hell did you even make that out from those low res photos

I swung by and looked at it after work.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

DevCore posted:

How good/bad of a deal is this:

2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 2
53k miles, $23,500
http://www.driscollmotors.net/vehicle/used-2003-porsche-911-carrera-2-2548914.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

Rear tires are basically at the end of their life, some of the interior is scuffed up around the key, horrible gas mileage (compared to the newer Cayman automatics)

Looks perfectly fine at that price to me if not slightly underpriced. The grey interior shows more wear and is less desirable but at that price you should be able to drive it a few years and sell it for about the same. Those wheels are a nice bonus since they're pretty desirable because I'm pretty sure they're the lightest 18" Porsche wheel and everyone wants them for track and upgrades from 16-17" ones that came on earlier Porsche's. Polar silver is a terrific and not common choice that's nice to have too. Joooiinn uuuuuus

It's also a rare FWD model :v:

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 24, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kimbo305 posted:

The solution to this, like for just about every modern car, is to carry one of those lithium-ion booster packs with you. Not only would it let you get into the trunk in this case, but it just might have enough juice to get the car started too. Plus, it's small enough it could live in a map pouch or a glove box.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if it's just me or the lighting of the photo, but I think I see a slight paint mismatch between front LH fender and door/qtr.

C/D?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Seconded

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Jymmybob posted:

It's also a rare FWD model :v:

Oh god... somehow that makes it seem sacrilege and a whole lot less fun.
That may be a passing point...

Thanks so much for the input!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

DevCore posted:

You know he's joking about the fwd thing right? I just want to make 100% sure here.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Not sure if it's just me or the lighting of the photo, but I think I see a slight paint mismatch between front LH fender and door/qtr.

C/D?

I can see that a little but the pictures are pretty bad enough that it doesn't even have the blue tint of polar silver. The front shot looks ok and the carfax is clean so it could go either way and it'd probably be pretty easy to tell in person if you're looking for it.

DevCore posted:

:ohdear:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well the wheels are sort of in front of the engine.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

willie_dee posted:

You know he's joking about the fwd thing right? I just want to make 100% sure here.

I do now. :downs:

Honestly I didn't think they made FWD, especially with a Carrera. But then I looked back at the ad and saw "Drive Type : 2WD - Front" and though "holy poo poo, I guess that's a thing?"

Elephanthead posted:

Well the wheels are sort of in front of the engine.

Maybe that was the dealers logic too.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Haha so glad I checked. Its just the dealer being daft and miss-typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I still think the front has probably been resprayed for whatever reason. If you look at it, make sure it has the original stickers underside of the frunk. If it doesn't, good chance it had an unreported collision.

Only registered members can see post attachments!