Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Fun fact to make you feel old - It's been almost as long since Apollo 13 came out in theaters as the time between the movie and the actual event!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stunt Rock posted:

This may be Thawne BEFORE he shows back up and gets all smug with Barry in the present after Flashpoint or something.

Or Speedforce.

I'm going with speedforce myself

(also p sure that's the version of him that got booted out of reality by Eddie killing himself and he survived because SPEED FORCE, YOU IDIOTS)

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm going with speedforce myself

(also p sure that's the version of him that got booted out of reality by Eddie killing himself and he survived because SPEED FORCE, YOU IDIOTS)

Nah, that Thawne disintegrated.

A different Thawne showed up later that they helped get back to the future, begrudgingly, so he still existed in his own past prior to disintegrating. Which is how the shows are handling it but makes no sense. Thawne should have never existed period since Eddie killed all of his ancestors but whatever.

So Barry going back to cause flashpoint grabbed Thawne, before he lost his speed from the successful murder and spent 20 years as Harrison Wells, at his mother's murder and dragged him to 2016 and threw him in a cage for the entirety of the time he spent living in Flashpoint. So when Barry re-reset flashpoint again and stopped the events that created him, the Thawne on Legends of Tomorrow escaped the destruction of the flashpoint timeline he was imprisoned in, which is what black flash is trying to correct.

So by the shows convoluted time travel logic this Thawne is just some rear end in a top hat from the future that went back to kill The Flash's mom and was stopped before he could do it. Then was imprisoned for awhile and ran into Legends of Tomorrow.

He should have no idea about anything the Harrison Wells imposter did because even in the clusterfuck of time that The Flash has created, technically there were two Harrison Wells imposters, one original and one the new altered timeline, and both were disintegrated. So this Thawne is just a time remnant from a middle, deleted timeline that separated the two.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 16, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They called him a time remnant. I assume when he goes traveling through time he gets a download of all the blah blah blah SPEEDFORCE

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

They called him a time remnant. I assume when he goes traveling through time he gets a download of all the blah blah blah SPEEDFORCE

I'd agree with the "he got the memories like stein" argument except the current, altered timeline still had Eddie kill himself to disintegrate the Thawne that lived 20 years as Harrison Wells. Stein was in his proper timeline he just was experiencing changes to the timeline itself.

So the only real explanation is that the writers forgot the insane logic they've created about time travel or SPEEDFORCE.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They've established that people can get memories from deleted timelines.

Of course, they wouldn't be memories for this Thawne, since he's from years before he met and worked with Cisco and Katelyn. Unless he's been running from the Black Flash through time for several years, and this Thawne has caught up age wise with the original timeline Thawne, in which case holy gently caress can you imagine that? You fail at your one huge time travel goal, then spend years getting chased by a loving time zombie speedster who wants to erase you for years, running from era to era, completely rootless. And then you start to get visions of a world where you have a different face, you're a different man, wealthy, respected, with people who look up to and respect you?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Which leads you to the only logical conclusion: Hate Barry Allen.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really Thawne is the hero of both shows because he tried to put a stop to all of this time travel poo poo by killing child Barry.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Flash should just be a show about Eobard Thawne heroically fighting against the reckless speedster Barry Allen, who keeps trying to blow up the timeline every time one of his friends or family members dies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lotus circle posted:

Flash should just be a show about Eobard Thawne heroically fighting against the reckless speedster Barry Allen, who keeps trying to blow up the timeline every time one of his friends or family members dies.

Serious question; out of all the meta-humans created by the particle accelerator explosion, isn't Barry Allen by far responsible for the most deaths?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Serious question; out of all the meta-humans created by the particle accelerator explosion, isn't Barry Allen by far responsible for the most deaths?

Does creating multiple timelines and then deleting them, leading to the birth of people he later made not exist count?

If so Barry is worse than Hitler.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Space Crabs posted:

Does creating multiple timelines and then deleting them, leading to the birth of people he later made not exist count?

If so Barry is worse than Hitler.

Barry's body count is higher than Ollie's, Ra's al Ghul, Damien Dahrk, and Malcom Merylns combined!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Felicity has them all beat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Which leads you to the only logical conclusion: Hate Barry Allen.

I'm starting to think this Thawne fella might be on to something!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm starting to think this Thawne fella might be on to something!

Eobard just basically said this week "Look, I just want the Spear of Destiny so I can be alive again and keep being a dick to Barry Allen. That's all I want to do." and Ray just went "...Okay, fair enough."

It was great.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Eobard just basically said this week "Look, I just want the Spear of Destiny so I can be alive again and keep being a dick to Barry Allen. That's all I want to do." and Ray just went "...Okay, fair enough."

It was great.

They're rapidly turning into "Thawne." "Palmer." levels of evil/good respect for each other, and it's pretty great.

I... dunno about Eobard's "I've seen monsters" speech. I mean, you did kill a lot of people, dude. Just sayin'.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I don't get it.. Thawne has no powers in zero gravity?! How does that work?!

So if the Black Flash can't get to him while he's in orbit why doesn't he just stay in space?

The Waverider is at times made out of either adamantium or paper maché, I swear.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Binary Badger posted:

So if the Black Flash can't get to him while he's in orbit why doesn't he just stay in space?

The Waverider is at times made out of either adamantium or paper maché, I swear.

Spaceforce u dense mother

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think Thawne was afraid to use his powers in space because he had nowhere to run his powers would attract the time wraith thing. Ray as has been established is an idiot and assumed it was because they were in 0g.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Why hasn't PERSON ACTION?

Legends madlibs!

(real answer is they are a bunch of idiots.)

Why hasn't Ray spaced Thawne on the moon?

Thawne calling out Ray for not using his dwarf star tech for power plants / helping humanity was great.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Binary Badger posted:

The real answer is because it's hard to write a situation where a guy with superspeed and no morals doesn't just get whatever he wants all the time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
It isn't that Thawne has no powers in zero gravity, it's that they wouldn't be effective. You can't run in space and your movements would be slowed down as well. As soon as they landed the Waverider back on Earth, he immediately phased out of his holding cell (unlike some idiot speedsters named Barry Allen) and ran off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

It isn't that Thawne has no powers in zero gravity, it's that they wouldn't be effective. You can't run in space and your movements would be slowed down as well. As soon as they landed the Waverider back on Earth, he immediately phased out of his holding cell (unlike some idiot speedsters named Barry Allen) and ran off.

He could've phased his hand through Ray's head instead of punching him.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah but then we wouldn't have gotten this:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
As long as we're being nitpicky, Ray should have been jumping way further than that. The Apollo space suits were super heavy and cumbersome. The Atom suit gives him enough freedom of motion and is powered to negate it's own weight, so Ray should have been bounding like, fifteen feet with each jump.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If he can't punch fast in zero-g I don't he can vibrate either.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
As he said, he didn't need super speed to kick Ray's rear end.

Or so he thought!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't it be a bad idea for him to use his powers without a means to escape since his powers apparently attract the langoliers?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elentor posted:

Wouldn't it be a bad idea for him to use his powers without a means to escape since his powers apparently attract the langoliers?

Yeah they established that black flash can't see where he is when he isn't using his powers like a speedforce T-Rex.

Also Black Flash apparently is more supernatural than anything else, so being trapped on the moon or in a capsule with nowhere to go is probably a bad time to start signaling your location to a predator that can appear anywhere and doesn't need oxygen to live.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Black Flash is supernatural speed force magic but he was busy chasing Barry this week for always loving around with poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Black Flash must have an effort index depending on how much of an affront you are to the universe.

Thawne is terrified of him and can't survive a confrontation alone.

Barry just runs away from him and is good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bull3964 posted:

Black Flash must have an effort index depending on how much of an affront you are to the universe.

Thawne is terrified of him and can't survive a confrontation alone.

Barry just runs away from him and is good.

tbf Zoloman wasn't trying to capture and erase Barry for not-really-existing, he was trying to get him to gently caress off without Wally.

Plus Barry just SCIENCE FORCE'd him out of existence or something, idk what happened there. I assume it's not permanent since the Ronnie Avatar didn't come running in immediately going "WHAT DID YOU DO THIS TIME YOU IDIOT"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The hilarious thing about this week's Flash episode is I left it for two days going "Why is the Speed Force treating him this way?!" and for some reason I missed the obvious answer of "Bally Allen is a chronic fuckup."

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

The hilarious thing about this week's Flash episode is I left it for two days going "Why is the Speed Force treating him this way?!" and for some reason I missed the obvious answer of "Bally Allen is a chronic fuckup."

Barry is a huge jerk, but the Speedforce is also a huge jerk.

So it really comes down to if the speedforce is mad that their main spokesman in the universe is a huge rear end in a top hat, or if the speedforce grants super speed and super rear end in a top hat abilities.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Now, wait, is Barry only a jerk because the Speedforce is a jerk and it made him one when he got his gofast? Or was he always a jerk?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Speedsters keep going back in time to kill Barry cause he was a super dick to them in the future, you do the math. I hope Thawne uses the spear so he can go gently caress with Barry next season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I honestly hope that next season Thawne gets pressganed into joining the Legends as a good* guy for one reason or another. Just so that he can be a dick to everyone up close and personal (and for him and Ray to continue being frenemy science bros.)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

nine-gear crow posted:

I honestly hope that next season Thawne gets pressganed into joining the Legends as a good* guy for one reason or another. Just so that he can be a dick to everyone up close and personal (and for him and Ray to continue being frenemy science bros.)

I hope they make Matt Letscher the next version of Harrison Wells on Flash and Tom Cavanagh the Legends Reverse Flash just to gently caress with everybody

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Earth-23's Wells managed to fend off his Earth's Eobard when he tried to kill him and stole HIS face instead. Meanwhile, now that Season 1 Reverse Flash exists again thanks to the Spear of Destiny, he's back to being stuck with Wells' face.

Hire me, Berlanti!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

lotus circle posted:

Except Eobard created that problem by being the fist speedster time traveler.

• Locked thread