Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm torn between Swordbreaker or Quick Riposte for Nowi. I think both would do her well, but they take up the same slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

General Morden posted:

was it as game breaking as it is in this

this isn't that gamebreaking except in the context of the game before this feature was added

if you've been playing since the game came out you have more heroes than you know what to do with, now you have a pile of options laid out before you. As the game existed prior to this feature, certain characters were useless (eliwood) while other characters were completely mandatory in area (takumi) which is kind of a problem. Now, with inheritance in, you can fix characters that suck and build to counter the meta without having to have specific heroes.

people at the highest level of arena are probably going to end up with some crazy teams but on the other hand those crazy teams are probably not going to be the same Robin / Takumi / Lyndis / X teams we've been seeing in constant rotation since the game came out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

General Morden posted:

was it as game breaking as it is in this

Everyone thought the sky was falling when it was announced in pad but once it released it had a specific constraint that balanced it out.

Specifically skills are on cool downs in Pad and an inherit places the inherited skill's cool down on top of the bases. So if two skills have 5 turn CD, it takes 10 turns to get the second skill online. You also can't access the base skill once the inherit comes online.

I'm not sure how one could have made it balanced in this game. Much of the point of the game is to chase your favorite characters and now it's also to customize them how you want.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It sucks because all my fave characters are tanks and tanks are kinda mediocre in this game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirthless posted:

people at the highest level of arena are probably going to end up with some crazy teams but on the other hand those crazy teams are probably not going to be the same Robin / Takumi / Lyndis / X teams we've been seeing in constant rotation since the game came out.

They are probably going to be the same teams as before except with better skills

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad for skill inheritance, because now I can give Olwen not-bad skills

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

They are probably going to be the same teams as before except with better skills

But why? It's not like those characters don't have useless skills. The more poo poo somebody needs to replace, the less valuable they're going to be in the long term. Look at Takumi - his main real perk is close counter. His C skill is not great for somebody who is ideally attacking from range, and vengeance? Come on. It's terrible.

In the long run it may make more sense to fold Takumi into a better archer (or caster! or ninja!) to preserve Close Counter than to take three other characters and fold them into Takumi. This is what I'm talking about - it's a question now. Takumi was indisputable, if you had him, he was on your team. Now it's completely up for debate.

Think about it - let's say you have a team with a spur speed or two on it. Wouldn't a Brave Bow user with close counter nearly always be better than Takumi? Gauranteed doubles, quad attacks against slow enemies. Put it on Gordin and you've got a Brave Bow Close Counterer with Vantage. :getin:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Mirthless posted:

But why? It's not like those characters don't have useless skills. The more poo poo somebody needs to replace, the less valuable they're going to be in the long term, and Takumi's main real perk is close counter. His C skill is not great for somebody who is ideally attacking from range, either. And Vengeance? Come on. It's terrible.

In the long run it may make more sense to fold Takumi into a better archer (or caster! or ninja!) to preserve Close Counter than to take three other characters and fold them into Takumi. This is what I'm talking about - it's a question now. Takumi was indisputable, if you had him, he was on your team. Now it's completely in question.

Close Counter is S+ on defense but really, Takumi shouldn't be taking body blows on offense to begin with. He'd be better off with Death Blow in most situations to guarantee he alphas down whoever gets in range first.

Klein is straight up better than Takumi on offense except for the fact that Brave Bow nerfs his BST and leaves him vulnerable to getting doubled by some characters, but again, don't be letting your squishies eat hits unnecessarily.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mirthless posted:

this isn't that gamebreaking except in the context of the game before this feature was added

if you've been playing since the game came out you have more heroes than you know what to do with, now you have a pile of options laid out before you. As the game existed prior to this feature, certain characters were useless (eliwood) while other characters were completely mandatory in area (takumi) which is kind of a problem. Now, with inheritance in, you can fix characters that suck and build to counter the meta without having to have specific heroes.

Yeah but you still need to luck into a Takumi to get close counter, and that's still going to be mandatory in arena unless something drastic changes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah but you still need to luck into a Takumi to get close counter, and that's still going to be mandatory in arena unless something drastic changes.

I don't think it'll be too much longer before more close counter users start spilling in, but it's a fair point. I'm just saying, I think you're going to start seeing the meta shift around a lot more freely now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirthless posted:

But why? It's not like those characters don't have useless skills. The more poo poo somebody needs to replace, the less valuable they're going to be in the long term. Look at Takumi - his main real perk is close counter. His C skill is not great for somebody who is ideally attacking from range, and vengeance? Come on. It's terrible.

In the long run it may make more sense to fold Takumi into a better archer (or caster! or ninja!) to preserve Close Counter than to take three other characters and fold them into Takumi. This is what I'm talking about - it's a question now. Takumi was indisputable, if you had him, he was on your team. Now it's completely up for debate.

Think about it - let's say you have a team with a spur speed or two on it. Wouldn't a Brave Bow user with close counter nearly always be better than Takumi? Gauranteed doubles, quad attacks against slow enemies. Put it on Gordin and you've got a Brave Bow Close Counterer with Vantage. :getin:

Vengeance is really good on Takumi and you can just give him something else now.

Brave bow is also really bad with close counter since you will get doubled much more easily than without it and the double attack only works when initiating.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What would be good for Ogma to learn? I mulched one of my spare Nowis to let him have Rally Defense as a potential option, but I was wondering if there are any other skills he'd like to have.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

Vengeance is really good on Takumi and you can just give him something else now.

Brave bow is also really bad with close counter since you will get doubled much more easily than without it and the double attack only works when initiating.

quote:

Think about it - let's say you have a team with a spur speed or two on it

It's pretty easy to keep your ranged attackers in people's buff ranges

The biggest change here isn't to individual unit power, it's overall team synergy. You have a much wider range of options now that you can move people's skills around.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 16, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You normal Takumi will benefit from the speed buff just as much. Takumi with a speed buff will double a ton of units.

Takumi would be a better Brave bow wielder than Gordin anyway.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 16, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

You normal Takumi will benefit from the speed buff just as much. Takumi with a speed buff will double a ton of units.

No, normal Takumi won't benefit as much from the speed buff because Takumi can't quad attack!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

Takumi would be a better Brave bow wielder than Gordin anyway.

How do you figure? Now you have to fold four characters into Takumi instead of just three.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirthless posted:

No, normal Takumi won't benefit as much from the speed buff because Takumi can't quad attack!

The brave bow wielder probably isn't quad attacking either with the -5 speed from the brave weapon, even with a speed. And if you are stacking spur speeds for some dumb reason you are missing out on all of the other good buffs available.

Mirthless posted:

How do you figure? Now you have to fold four characters into Takumi instead of just three.

Gordin's attack is pathetically low

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

The brave bow wielder probably isn't quad attacking either with the -5 speed from the brave weapon, even with a speed. And if you are stacking spur speeds for some dumb reason you are missing out on all of the other good buffs available.

I don't know what has happened to your brain that won't allow you to conceptualize past yesterday but I'm really sorry for you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirthless posted:

I don't know what has happened to your brain that won't allow you to conceptualize past yesterday but I'm really sorry for you.

:jerkbag:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nobody would care this much if the arena wasn't such a thing, rip.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still just spam triple intermediate every day and get my max feathers. Dunno what you guys do.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I've been slamming low 30s advanced groups with a hinoka + Camilla being danced while frobin sits in the corner. My lowest score was like 3500 or so because I messed up positioning and lost someone in 2 duels.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm strong enough to win 7 rounds of advanced and get lots of feathers. I don't really need to rank high. As long as I can continue to do that and never have to face whales, it actually doesn't matter to me.

But now I get to soup up my Linde as a character I like and who is strong. I'm giving her Poison Strike so that she can be an rear end in a top hat to whoever she fights.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 16, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ChronoReverse posted:

But now I get to soup up my Linde as a character I like and who is strong. I'm giving her Poison Strike so that she can be an rear end in a top hat to whoever she fights.

I'm thinking I'm going to build a 2x Fortify Fliers 2x Goad Fliers team and see how that does

I'm thinking Catria / Caeda / Palla / Camilla, pushing Goad Fliers onto Catria and Fortify Fliers onto Camilla

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

It's actually typical for Camilla to quad attack many targets, thanks to her attacking speed stat from Darting Blow. Camilla's good speed is part of the reason why she can be very strong and tear up most non-red units. Who would have thought that attacking 4 times for crazy good damage is absurd? Though skill inheritance makes her arguably much less strong.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's actually typical for Camilla to quad attack many targets, thanks to her attacking speed stat from Darting Blow. Camilla's good speed is part of the reason why she can be very strong and tear up most non-red units. Who would have thought that attacking 4 times for crazy good damage is absurd? Though skill inheritance makes her arguably much less strong.

Camilla doesn't have a B slot skill, you could put Vantage on her and lose nothing. :getin:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

I still just spam triple intermediate every day and get my max feathers. Dunno what you guys do.
I try to convince my friends to do just this instead of complain but they really want those extra 500 or 1000 feathers from ranking high.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Here's my guys. Who should I work on?

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=XaTRJmVkC3cKWAwEYKRP1Yh4l5k2TGxc

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=XaTRJmVkC3ddkG11eMMj1Yh4l5k2TGxc

Folk on top are my main team.

EDIT: How do I get rid of the file on the bottom?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The man called M fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 16, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Simple question. Brash assault or Vantage for Lyn? Which do you guys think has better synergy with her Sol Katti?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

Simple question. Brash assault or Vantage for Lyn? Which do you guys think has better synergy with her Sol Katti?

Depends on her speed. Of she's +Spd then Brash Assault is probably a little pointless but it would be really good for -Spd. I dunno what I would choose for neutral Spd though which is where I'm at.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After sleeping on it, I still remain wracked with decision paralysis

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mulched Roy into Robin for triangle adept.

Now if only I had a Narcian to give Kagero Savage blow . . . I guess I could mulch Camilla but mulching a 5 star when I only have 4 I've gatchaed total :f5:

What are consensus best skills to put on Lucina? Spur attack seems to good to lose, maybe darting blow since my Lucina is +hp -spd? I guess Fury would inherently be the best choice since she has auto heal with renew on Falchion?

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 16, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ubiquitus posted:

Now if only I had a Narcian to give Kagero Savage blow . . . I guess I could mulch Camilla but mulching a 5 star when I only have 4 I've gatchaed total :f5:

What are consensus best skills to put on Lucina?

I don't think a consensus has been reached for any character tbh

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ubiquitus posted:

What are consensus best skills to put on Lucina? Spur attack seems to good to lose, maybe darting blow since my Lucina is +hp -spd? I guess Fury would inherently be the best choice since she has auto heal with renew on Falchion?

Fury is probably a good idea, and maaaybe Ardent Sacrifice given how she can heal herself with her weapon?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Shinji117 posted:

Fury is probably a good idea, and maaaybe Ardent Sacrifice given how she can heal herself with her weapon?

Ardent Sacrifice isn't bad, but I think rally attack from Hana to +8 a range attacker would be backbreaking

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
arena loving sucks now

vantage fest

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

General Morden posted:

arena loving sucks now

vantage fest

Thats why I built my lineup to specifically 1hko teams opposed to tanks.

Sure they get killed by a stiff breeze but they will melt just about every single meta hero in the game.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

I also have a +hp -spd Lucina and I was considering just giving her +3 spd because it is quite noticeable. Fury + Renewal might be interesting as well though

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think a consensus has been reached for any character tbh

I feel like the only one I'm super excited for is MRobin with triangle adept and B Tomebreaker, which gives him an advantage against a huge swathe of the roster, particularly big threats like Takumi, Kagero and Linde. I have a +atk MRobin and if he's being danced in an offensive team with those passives he's going to put in work. He'll be pretty useless if the metagame suddenly shifts to these terrifying *blade+ horse mage cavalry compositions that are being theorycrafted though.

Effie with brave lance also seems a go, along with Wings of Mercy on pretty much any good armoured unit.

Takumi's Close Counter/Vengeance/Vantage combo seems about as solid defensively as people were expecting as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Takumi's skills are pretty bad, to be honest. Close Counter is meh on offense, Threaten Spd is weird on an Archer, and Vengeance is okay but hardly the greatest special. The unique ability on his bow is so bad that most people forget that he even has one (it's Pass, btw). The only reason people use him is because his stats are very solid and he was a Focus units during the first two weeks, which means a lot of people have him. With skill inheritance you can tweak him to be even more solid. Other archers are unlikely to replace because most of them have slightly worse stats in one way or another.

It's the same with most of the good arena characters. In almost all cases, people were choosing the characters with the best stats, not the best skills. Or in some cases, characters with amazing skills tied to their weapons, like Hector and Ryoma (who also have good stats). Linde has amazing stats and completely forgettable skills, so people are just going to transfer's Odin's skillset to her wholesale and she'll be even better. Hector will get Pivot and Wings of Mercy to improve his mobility. The good characters get better, while the bad characters will become nothing but skill fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
one thing's for certain..we're going to need a new tier list. and a skills tier list