Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

Mulvaney described the budget blueprint, which calls for dramatic cuts to domestic spending programs in favor of increased funding for the military, as “one of the most compassionate things we can do.”

[...]

On after-school programs, Mulvaney said services intended to help feed hungry students in order to improve their academic performance deserve to be cut because proof of that progress has not materialized.

“They're supposed to be educational programs, right? I mean, that’s what they’re supposed to do. They're supposed to help kids who don't get fed at home get fed so they do better in school,” Mulvaney said. “Guess what? There's no demonstrable evidence they're actually doing that. There's no demonstrable evidence they're actually helping results, helping kids do better in school… the way we justified it was, these programs are going to help these kids do better in school and get better jobs. And we can’t prove that that’s happening.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/mick-mulvaney-donald-trump-budget-meals-on-wheels-236144

That's just... pure evil :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hasn't china been seriously ramping up its space program?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yep. Doing a decent job so far, too.

Edit: They're nowhere near on par with NASA, to be clear.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
India also launched the most satellites in a single go, and ESA plopped a lander and an orbiter on a comet.

Don't discount the rest of the world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don't improve? NO FOOD FOR YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's almost as if something isn't 100% pure and correct and good, it is therefore equally and totally immoral and wrong.

Which turns out lovely, lazy nihilist crybabies who won't lift a finger to try to make things better.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Missionary Positron posted:

India also launched the most satellites in a single go, and ESA plopped a lander and an orbiter on a comet.

Don't discount the rest of the world.

There's a huge difference between having a space program and engaging in a space race. The US is head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to space travel.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

There's a huge difference between having a space program and engaging in a space race. The US is head and shoulders above the rest of the world when it comes to space travel.

True, I'm not disputing that. However, going around throwing statements how no one will EVER want to compete with the US in space, and win is pretty arrogant.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Last I recall, and it has been awhile, china has major issues with being able to produce the right materials at the right quality. They have to overcome that first.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah just look at all those rides we hitch on Soyuz. Head and Shoulders above who in human space flight? Because only the PRC and Russia are sending humans to space.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah just look at all those rides we hitch on Soyuz. Head and Shoulders above who in human space flight? Because only the PRC and Russia are sending humans to space.

That we know of :tfh:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Best Friends posted:

You could also save a ton of money in DoD by auditing it but lol at any of the defense establishment / retired generals doing lobbying / fox news talking heads ever tolerating that.

Quoted for fing truth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So cutting meals on wheels, huh? All the death, none of the panels.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

As someone who generally only got a good lunch because of those types of programs, I sincerely hope that dude gets a rare disease that causes him to be in unending agony but completely unable to communicate or show pain.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Canada is a leader in space(arm) technology

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I have the Fiver with it hanging on my office wall at work.

Which reminds me, Canadian money is infinitely cooler than American currency.

Terrible Robot posted:

As someone who generally only got a good lunch because of those types of programs, I sincerely hope that dude gets a rare disease that causes him to be in unending agony but completely unable to communicate or show pain.

Yeah, same here. It's infuriating when I run into people in the flesh who whine about wasting money on this and food stamps, because everyone should pull their own weight :jerkbag: Then they usually stammer how they didn't mean people like me when I tell them I grew up on it and it helped me get to where I am today.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I went to the Canadian aerospace museum a couple years back, and my buddies were super enamored with the Canadarm that they had there. I was like "what is the matter with you people." It's on their $5 bill for fucks sake. They also had Chris Hadfield's guitar. Canadians, man.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Oklahoma State Senator caught loving an underage male prostitute.

Pretty sure we need to invoke "all are pedophiles" rule for republicans from here out. Kinda like bronies.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Bad Poster posted:

I went to the Canadian aerospace museum a couple years back, and my buddies were super enamored with the Canadarm that they had there. I was like "what is the matter with you people." It's on their $5 bill for fucks sake. They also had Chris Hadfield's guitar. Canadians, man.

Also the loving memorial to the Avro Arrow :canada:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

Pretty sure we need to invoke "all are pedophiles" rule for republicans from here out. Kinda like bronies.

Best part is this guy was running on a Family Values Anti-Gay/Anti-Trans platform.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

A Bad Poster posted:

It's hard trying to keep your identify when the USA (and the UK somewhat) wants to try and shape it. It's also why most things that try and be 'Canadian' are just a bunch of cliched comparisons to the USA and how "we're better".

That ignores that we just had a mass murder driven by racism and a suicide bomber that the RCMP didn't take seriously cause he was white and had to be warned by US authorities that he was gonna bomb something.

Actual content (barely):

https://twitter.com/KagroX/status/842151151797735424

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

There will be some reason why his banging an underage male prostitute was actually justified or he was ordered to do so by some divine means.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Yeah this guy totally supported Oklahoma's "bathroom bill" which died in committee last year

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The PRC have sent like under a dozen manned missions into space and Russia is basically limited to a taxi service at this point, but I guess that compares to landing multiple landers on Mars and making it to Pluto, what a zinger you landed on me.

e- Six. Six times in total China has launched a manned mission. Hell of a point you made.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think it's more complex than that; I mean, there is enormous co-operation between Roscosmos and NASA. When the Soviet Union collapsed NASA went right in to partner and help Roscosmos, which saved it from being completely trashed and/or sold off in the wake of the collapse. That sharing saved tons of work and knowledge from being lost. The Soyuz btw is currently the only way to and from the ISS, because the shuttle's time has ended. It's hard to talk us/them when it comes to space stuff, and thank god for that frankly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VikingSkull posted:

The PRC have sent like under a dozen manned missions into space and Russia is basically limited to a taxi service at this point, but I guess that compares to landing multiple landers on Mars and making it to Pluto, what a zinger you landed on me.

e- Six. Six times in total China has launched a manned mission. Hell of a point you made.

oh yeah well how many times have YOU launched into space????

CHECK loving MATE

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Everyones space program is a giant loving joke for anything more than putting up satellites or shooting nukes. We are stuck on this dumb gay earth because of it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mister Sinewave posted:

I think it's more complex than that; I mean, there is enormous co-operation between Roscosmos and NASA. When the Soviet Union collapsed NASA went right in to partner and help Roscosmos, which saved it from being completely trashed and/or sold off in the wake of the collapse. That sharing saved tons of work and knowledge from being lost. The Soyuz btw is currently the only way to and from the ISS, because the shuttle's time has ended. It's hard to talk us/them when it comes to space stuff, and thank god for that frankly.

True, but like I originally said there's a difference between space travel and a space race. There's only one nation right now that could throw the funds behind the organizational knowledge to compete at that level, and it's the US. That being said, every other nation on Earth knows that, meaning we're never going to see another space race most likely. Unfortunately, this means NASA might have outlived most of its usefulness, and that's why I'm in favor of privatizing space exploration. That side of things is going to happen regardless, and I think it's in the US' best interests to make that transition now, when it's still a problem for most national governments, let alone companies abroad.

If there is another space race, that's where it's gonna be.

Two Finger posted:

oh yeah well how many times have YOU launched into space????

CHECK loving MATE

do mushrooms count

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh hey, Trump's deputy National Security Advisor (from Fox news, under McMaster) may have violated campaign finance laws.

https://twitter.com/AndyKroll/status/842516696862806016

And everyone hates Donnie's bullshit budget.

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/842517730821652480

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

VikingSkull posted:

No we aren't. NASA is pretty good when it comes producing/funding science missions, but overall we are slipping more and more. In terms of launches, Russia is beating us for non-commercial applications. Our commercial launch numbers are almost entirely thanks NASA being able to contract out missions to SpaceX.

We don't even own the best launch rockets anymore. More companies opt for paying France for the Ariane rocket. Non-US companies can send payloads into space for much cheaper than we can. Due to our export controls, we can't even sell satellite data for commercial use (think hi-res maps for farming/fire fighting, etc), so other companies are paying non-US businesses for the data.

On the human space flight front, the Russians are raking us over the coals with $20 million per seat on the Soyuz. Our next crewed US launch won't even be til 2021 on the SLS. And that's not accounting for setbacks due to Trump's budget. We've already pissed away our edge in space.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This isn't suprising. Despite what the GOP likes to tout, actually cutting these programs like Trump wants to will directly affect their constituents, and that won't bode well for future votes.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

AFStealth posted:

No we aren't. NASA is pretty good when it comes producing/funding science missions, but overall we are slipping more and more. In terms of launches, Russia is beating us for non-commercial applications. Our commercial launch numbers are almost entirely thanks NASA being able to contract out missions to SpaceX.

We don't even own the best launch rockets anymore. More companies opt for paying France for the Ariane rocket. Non-US companies can send payloads into space for much cheaper than we can. Due to our export controls, we can't even sell satellite data for commercial use (think hi-res maps for farming/fire fighting, etc), so other companies are paying non-US businesses for the data.

On the human space flight front, the Russians are raking us over the coals with $20 million per seat on the Soyuz. Our next crewed US launch won't even be til 2021 on the SLS. And that's not accounting for setbacks due to Trump's budget. We've already pissed away our edge in space.

These are fair points and I should have specified I was talking about beyond LEO.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Third World Reggin posted:

Last I recall, and it has been awhile, china has major issues with being able to produce the right materials at the right quality. They have to overcome that first.
Their space program is roughly mid-Apollo. They're operating their second space station, have demonstrated several spacecraft rendezvous, had two successful lunar orbiters (one is moving toward deep space to challenge their tracking systems), a fairly successful lunar rover, another planned to land on the far side next year, and a lunar sample-return mission planned for this year. They're hardly idle, and not far from where we were at our space program's public-eye zenith.

Edit: The US is really good at pure science robo-exploratory missions. Not so much anything else right now.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 17, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Their space program is roughly mid-Apollo. They're operating their second space station, have demonstrated several spacecraft rendezvous, had two successful lunar orbiters (one is moving toward deep space to challenge their tracking systems), a fairly successful lunar rover, another planned to land on the far side next year, and a lunar sample-return mission planned for this year. They're hardly idle, and not far from where we were at our space program's public-eye zenith.

China has a massive problem, though, with domestically sourced precision parts. Every corner is cut at every step of procurement for even government operations in china that many things have to be built elsewhere and imported.

See, for example, China's airliner that they touted as chinese built:

There are a lot of barriers still to overcome before China is on par with the US in space travel, and it's in large part due to their 5000 years of loving people over and cutting corners.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
China has to overcome well documented science issues. We have to overcome well documented political issues. Personally I'm betting on the Chinese getting their first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

China has to overcome well documented science issues. We have to overcome well documented political issues. Personally I'm betting on the Chinese getting their first.

It's not science issues. It's not a matter of knowledge. It's a matter of precision industrial production. China is poo poo at making things like jet engines and other extremely low tolerance items. It's a cultural issue, not a science one.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

We will nuke ourselves to death before we escape this planet and spread our disease to the galaxy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If traveling the stars was possible, we'd all either be in someone's zoo, or enslaved to build monuments to emperor Xenu or something by now. So in a way it's a good thing we're stuck here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Look man, he didn't specify which 30 days it would be. He's got up 2,922 to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Capn Beeb posted:

Pretty much.

Who's got that picture of Ryan in front of a screen outlining how the new health care works and it says "You voted for your own demise, please die quality"? I think I saw it in here a few days ago but gently caress if I can find it.

• Locked thread