Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Bacarruda posted:

Sixkiller, get your last AC across the river and into the SE part of the Effyaders forest to cover the M1 ford for as long as possible.

my dad, your mission is to set up an ambush on the M4 fords. Deploy in the Effyaders forest and make it happen. If the Germans try to cross the M1 fords and are spotted by the northern AC (or by one of your men), re-deploy north to counter that move. Either fire on them as try try to ford or ambush them in the Effyaders forest. If you make enemy contact at any point, alert HQ ASAP.

xthetenth, change of plans for you. I want you to get into a position to fire on units crossing near the M4, but make sure you also have some eyes on any enemy forces crossing the M7 area. If you make enemy contact, alert HQ ASAP.

Think we just need the brigade orders now, since Plan Audacity didnt get enough support this round :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The ACs are functionally useless as a combat unit now, we should send them out to watchpost over each crossing like so:

If they see the boche, they should retreat immediately.

Post X in Bois de Blob, and my dad where he is right now in effyaders. With this setup, we can see all over the middle river, news can travel relatively quickly, and we can set up some redeployments.

There's no point in manning defensive positions anywhere on this map, if they aren't actually be threatened by boche. If that fresh cav brigade moves North, we must move north as well, and if it moves South, we have to move South. My dad's can give out some conditional orders for this, to move towards defensive positions either in South Effyaders, or the Bois de Blob, depending on where the fresh German cavalry is spotted. With our wire, we can delay them long enough that our attack will actually hit them.

X's brigade should probably survive, and we should post him in either wood. Afterwards, his conditional should be to redeploy towards that equally damaged Boche cavalry brigade from Steth, wherever we see it.

Our notions of holding the line are pretty meaningless when we don't have the troops to actually man the entirety of the N-S line. We are going to have to be reactive instead of static, and this is the best way to do it.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 16, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Can we issue a command to X's men, or are they out of command? It might make sense to have him fall back to Ferme Inutille and use it for cover to watch the middle road. His men can get to the southern tip of the farm in one turn while the enemy brigade can't see him due to Stethoscope being in the way. With eyes on the middle road, we'll have some advance knowledge of where the enemy are coming from. Also, if he's in cover, which he should be, he can ambush the enemy as they come down the road, and then run the gently caress away again, further slowing down the enemy, and maybe even getting them to chase him around. He will probably be reasonably safe if he does that.

Like so:

sullat fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 16, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I don't like that at all. I'd have to get in that position in good order incredibly fast and the enemy is near guaranteed to be concentrated. At this point we need the fords and wires to damage their concentration.

Also, it's good that M7 and M5-6 have some wire, that gives us a chance to hold them with the understrength units.

Lastly, lesson for the future: If you're attacking into a town, you need to take care to clear the whole thing before moving support units up. My MG company died uselessly over that.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 16, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The ACs are functionally useless as a combat unit now, we should send them out to watchpost over each crossing like so:

This is all really solid and I support it wholeheartedly. Sorry I haven't been around, have had a friend to stay. Not much time for strategy. I think we've probably shocked the Germans but have lost enough that a concerted push south, if they figure that out, could see our plans fairly hosed up. We must retire our cavalry to the river, as per SJP's above plan.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I say we should concentrate our two damaged brigades on the central crossing and hold the line there while my brigade pushes for La Dand. As much as I like the idea of taking a spare engineer to do some bridge demolition work, we need them at the crossings more.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

I say we should concentrate our two damaged brigades on the central crossing and hold the line there while my brigade pushes for La Dand. As much as I like the idea of taking a spare engineer to do some bridge demolition work, we need them at the crossings more.

If we want to continue to be aggressive, drawing that cav brigade north with an ambush from Ferme Inutille and then hitting them with a counter-charge from My Dad's brigade might work. Our biggest question is figuring out which crossing they will attack, so of we can hit them before they can make that choice, we don't have to guess where they will be.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Men, gather yourselves in Foret de Effyaders and hold it at all costs! Any who survives this day shall gain the love of his country, and immortalize himself forever!

Fight at them.
Gun 'em down.
Do not pursue.
No man or car is left.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

I know we are British cavalry, but maybe we should step back and learn from our previous, brigade-level, shenanigans. Attacking La Dand is completely pointless while a healthy German brigade is already occupying stethoscope. Not to mention that we'd be taking our only working brigade out of the fight.

sullat posted:

If we want to continue to be aggressive, drawing that cav brigade north with an ambush from Ferme Inutille and then hitting them with a counter-charge from My Dad's brigade might work. Our biggest question is figuring out which crossing they will attack, so of we can hit them before they can make that choice, we don't have to guess where they will be.

My dad's brigade is currently on the wrong side of the river to be indulging in counter-charges. X's brigade is too weak to accomplish anything useful there as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am with Slim here. We have done enough damage to make the Germans hesitate. Let's take advantage of it and start hunkering down for the night.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
We definitely need to hunker down for the night, but I think that the ACs can still be useful supporting cavalry brigades. After all, if they get multiple MGs per brigade, it's only fair that we do too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If we strike La Dand, we have good odds of killing a division commander since that's the most likely place for one to be in, in addition to completely crippling their communications, and possibly catching their reinforcement brigades unaware.

We can always pull back just before nightfall if we're spotted on the way there.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't the division commanders need to be within a certain distance of the brigades in order to get them moving? If their division HQ is in La Dand, they've probably got some severe C&C problems as-is.

It would be really nice to do, but it's not worth sending 2/3 of our forces to accomplish. Have X do it. He has room for a few more medals.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 17, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

If we strike La Dand, we have good odds of killing a division commander since that's the most likely place for one to be in, in addition to completely crippling their communications, and possibly catching their reinforcement brigades unaware.

We can always pull back just before nightfall if we're spotted on the way there.

Alright then, see your brigade in 18 turns. Good luck on your trip.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

6th Brigade
"Sanguine with the Sanguinary"
"The best damned cavalry brigade battalion in the BEF"

Fluff:
All right lads. We showed the Hun we won't back down and that they should expect a fight at every turn. Now I know we can't cart away all the glory we've picked up and the 7th isn't up here to be our porters yet, but we've still got a job to do.

Crunch:

Standing orders:
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: To the last horse.

We will follow this Arrow, Orange, Handsome, Routes, Marking, For The Use Of. If we are somehow displaced from this arrow, we will attempt to get to the end of the arrow with all possible haste. We'll be staying north of the road past the southern point to stay out of MG range of enemies in south Stethescope.

We will take up these positions (circled) in defensive stance.

Conditional: If more than five non-suppressed enemy companies are in rifle range, more than three artillery batteries are in range, or we lose two companies, we are to fall back west into the forest until we break spotting and set up an ambush. Once we fire from ambush, we will fall back and attempt to do it again. If we run out of forest to fall back through, we will fall back to Saucisson Vallee. If there are any earthworks present to use we will use them, otherwise we will set up in the NE edge of the Bois de Coq. At that point we will defend to the last.

Conditional: If trenches are completed SE of Bois de Blob that allow them to get closer to the southernmost ford, the two southernmost cavalry companies will occupy them unless they are already in range of enemy units or will get shot while moving into those trenches.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

We have nothing left if this doesn't work. In fact we have nothing left to stop the units already on the field even if it does work.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On an entiirely irrelevant point:

xthetenth posted:

We will follow this arrow (orange, handsome, routes, for the marking of).

I believe that's an Arrow, Orange, Handsome, Routes, Marking, For The Use Of

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

On an entiirely irrelevant point:

I believe that's an Arrow, Orange, Handsome, Routes, Marking, For The Use Of

Fixed, thanks. (That's an incredibly relevant point, bad jokes and worse language are two thirds my arsenal at this point).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 17, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, my computer is busted so I won't be able to offer my usual supply of poor jokes and unhelpful advice for a bit. Once it gets better I'll be back on Roll 20 soon enough.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

I dont think we need to bet everything on black when its the second round of the game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

I dont think we need to bet everything on black when its the second round of the game.

Honestly, that's a number bet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just a heads up, I might not be able to get my orders in on time today. I'm allowing emergency orders for my unit. If you make them, please follow Bacarruda's command to the letter.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
6th Cavalry Division will not be attacking Le Dand.

Orders remain the same.

Bacarruda posted:

Sixkiller, get your last AC across the river and into the SE part of the Effyaders forest to cover the M1 ford for as long as possible.

my dad, your mission is to set up an ambush on the M4 fords. Deploy in the Effyaders forest and make it happen. If the Germans try to cross the M1 fords and are spotted by the northern AC (or by one of your men), re-deploy north to counter that move. Either fire on them as try try to ford or ambush them in the Effyaders forest. If you make enemy contact at any point, alert HQ ASAP.

xthetenth, change of plans for you. I want you to get into a position to fire on units crossing near the M4, but make sure you also have some eyes on any enemy forces crossing the M7 area. If you make enemy contact, alert HQ ASAP.

Loel, we need the infantry as soon as you can get them to us. The 2 Fatigue option is currently not necessary.

STAFF -- if worst comes to worst, we need a Belgian infantry brigade commander and a French Fusilier Marins (marine infantry) commander ready to command these units if these extra reinforcements have to be deployed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bacarruda posted:

6th Cavalry Division will not be attacking Le Dand.

A decision that will be loudly derided at Gran Quartier General. Imagine that ! Not attacking when the possibility existed to carry the day through elan.

Elan: the belief that motivation trumps machine guns. And artillery. And mass volleys of rifle fire.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

mllaneza posted:

Elan: the belief that motivation trumps machine guns. And artillery. And mass volleys of rifle fire.

Oi! We ain't bloody Frenchies, you hear?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Just a heads up, I might not be able to get my orders in on time today. I'm allowing emergency orders for my unit. If you make them, please follow Bacarruda's command to the letter.

When are they due?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Emergency orders for my dad

"I don't even know what brigade I am"

The 7th brigade is to enter the following defensive formation:

Bob, why don't you tell them what it can do?

Iiiiiit's the defensive formation of the hour, produced by Lee-Enfield! Notice it's several extant features, like cavalry companies up north to keep in touch with Sixkiller's cars, HAs that can shoot at either the M1 or the M4 fords, the same defense standing orders from my dad, and an MG! It's the perfect stance to keep watch or repel an attack over the central crossing.

(Crunch: Use this defensive formation at the outset or during an attack by the undamaged brigade on M4. If 8 companies or more are spotted in one formation, and more are not spotted in a different formation, assume that those forces represent the undamaged German brigade. my dad's defensive standing orders remain. Intent is to heep HA's in range of fords M1-M4 and let the MG use its billy bonus to fire on M3 or M4. Inform HQ if Germans are spotted in any circumstance.)

(Crunch: If the companies up north spot the undamaged German brigade north of the midpoint between M2 and M3, assume that they are attempting a northern crossing and switch to the northern defensive formation. If reports inform the brigade about the undamaged brigade being spotted south of M6, switch to attack formation and follow the southern sweep conditional)

~~~~~
But if you spot an undamaged cavalry brigade near the M1 or M2 fords, how about a new car ambush!

(Crunch: Northern defensive formation)

It's the car protection formation you've been dreaming of! It features cover for every single unit, four rifle companies fully-prepared to shoot anything that crosses the M1 ford, and all the MG and HAs a British brigade could want.

(Crunch: All cav companies should be within one full turn's movement of their final location. my dad's defensive standing orders remain. Additionally, notice that the brigade commander has shifted and the MG is able to use the billy bonus to shoot M1-M3 fords. There should also be 4 rifle companies in range of firing on either the M1 crossing or units just on the western side. The HAs have not moved from their default formation, and should be just able to cover the road. Inform HQ of this formation change.)

~~~~~
But that's not all! If you hear reports about the undamaged German cavalry brigade being in the south, why not go back to attack formation? This handy little number from before is the best way to sweep down south through the Bois de Blob to wherever the Germans may be coming from!

(Crunch: Southern sweep)

Maintain my dad's standing orders for attack, and leave the HAs and MG to shoot whenever they're in range. Charge everything that's not caught up in the wires.

All this can be yours if the orders are right.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I like them but do a pure crunch version.

Edit: looks reasonable to me. Barring someone else having a sudden attack of the smarts, I'm with those as the orders.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 17, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

(Thank you Tevery for making this for me)

So far we are actually slightly ahead of schedule but right now we must keep on working if we want to have a presentable battlefield for the rest of our forces.

Infantry Engineer 1: Head along to the southern road to the corner of Bois de Bob Forest and began preparing trenches as indicated on the map, starting with the one going parallel to the road.

Infantry Engineer 2: Head to the middle road and proceed to you almost move past Bois de Bob and Foret de Effayders and create a trench perpendicular to the road.

Mounted Engineer 1: Finish your work at the river ford crossing and head to the northern most road. Once there set up barbed wire along the road just inside Foret de Effayders.

Mounted Engineer 2: Finish the dual barbed wire work and head to Foret de Effayders at the point just next to the third ford on the river. There you will set up barbed wire before heading out of the forest to set up another trench just ahead of the trench that Infantry Engineer 2 is making.

Emergency orders:

Enemy enter within sighting range of the chit whilst work is being done.
If one turn left to complete the work: Then finish work and head to Foret de Effayders except for the work of Mounted Engineer 1 who will finish the barbed wire no matter what.
If longer to finish work then head straight to Foret de Effayders and begin setting up emplacements as marked.
Infantry Engineer 2 if the middle road ford is taken then fall back to the outskirts of Saucion Vallee and place barbed wire along the main road before setting up trenches across the road.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Added a conditional to my orders to reflect the trenches going up SE of BdB so that the two south companies can be in range.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 17, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

On a point of general principle, I would just like to point out that, if you want to carry on doing what you were doing in the last update, there's no requirement to post new orders for every deadline. You only need new orders if you want to do something different.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I let my orders (death) ride last time, but appreciate the firm note that that's a fine thing to do.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyRn_nh7ViM

Turn 17: 1600
German initiative

Two more engineer companies join the battle.

The armoured cars and the 6th Cavalry Brigade both fail to change their orders, but the 7th succeeds and shifts south.

You hear no news of the suppressed company in Stethoscope.

Turn 18: 1630
German initiative

The 6th retreats to the ford...

...but the brigade commander and one of the remaining companies are shot down by Germans as they attempt to escape!

The two remaining companies make a morale check and succeed. However, with no brigade commander, they're unable to receive their changed orders...

Turn 19: 1700
British initiative

The survivors head for their originally-specified positions, and discover friends there. With nothing else to do, they attach themselves to the 7th Brigade.

More barbed wire is put up.

And there's a trench being dug south of the Bois de Blob.

Turn 20: 1730
British initiative

Still more wire is being finished; the engineers move on.

Mid-update overview:

Turn 21: 1800
German initiative

The armoured cars finally pull themselves together, and begin moving again.

More movement in the forest.

Turn 22: 1830
British initiative

These are nervous times.

Turn 23: 1900
German initiative

No news.

Turn 24: 1930
German initiative

Your armoured cars move into position and wait nervously for their barbed wire to be finished.

End-of-update overview:

The next update will be 24 turns long and cover the entire night. Nights on subsequent days will be split into two 12-turn updates.

:siren: The soft deadline is 5pm, Monday 20 March.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well then, we have no cover south. That's not good at all.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
If our engineer in the south isn't dead, we have time to head to the blob.

If.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Given current positions, what bridges can we see at night?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Given current positions, what bridges can we see at night?

Assuming the cars don't have different spotting rules because of headlamps (Any chance we can get info on that?), that would be... none. None sir.

We can probably see people after they've crossed from M1-M4, but beyond that, there's nothing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Alrighty, thats about what I thought. Off the cuff, Im inclined to go for a directive of fortifying in place. We've made our decisions for deployment, cant change it now. If they hit M1-M4, lets have trenches and wire.

Otherwise... well, hope they dont go south.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sorry (but not all that much) to interrupt, but:

I think this is all the combat officers - if I skipped over anyone, or if someone else wants a banner, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
We can send a single car south and hope for spotting information, but beyond that things are rough.

e: trin added an end-of-round update and we don't see them in the south. Now at least we know it isn't the worst case.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread