Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yup! Right you are.

When the hell did that come into existence?

The event doesn't work quite right; it's supposed to give a pop-up to the liege (you), asking if he can go home. It doesn't pop-up though so it automatically chooses option #1, which is him going home and getting the modifier. The event only fires if your priest is craven or cynical, so it's pretty easy to avoid if you remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Had the "I'm getting older, I should seek immortality" quest fire for my 18 year old ruler. Seemed a bit early to have that crisis. No one on the council came up with any way to proceed and my ruler went to have a nap instead. Think that's the quickest I've had that questline end.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Had the "I'm getting older, I should seek immortality" quest fire for my 18 year old ruler. Seemed a bit early to have that crisis. No one on the council came up with any way to proceed and my ruler went to have a nap instead. Think that's the quickest I've had that questline end.

Clearly your ruler just confused "sleepy" with "dying". I'm sure we've all felt that way at times.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So the Abbasid Caliph called a Jihad on me and in the opening battles I captured his sorry rear end. But every time I go to enforce my demands and hit Offer Peace it just brings up a blank window and the offer peace option isn't even on the interaction list for the Caliph. What the gently caress? I need him and his loving 40k troops out of my hair before the second Shia jihad that just got called on me comes barreling across Africa.

If I have to I'm just gonna switch over to that cocksucker and make him surrender.

Edit: Saving and reloading fixed it. What a weird rear end bug.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 16, 2017

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I'm in the middle of my first sunni game, and 200 years in I think I'm already seeing the start of a decadence spiral. I made some dumb title handouts and marriage choices, so I think it's time to switch religions, and fast. I've got a couple of jewish courtiers, and I'm sure the catholics would love to get hispania back, so what are my real options, here? Also, norse paganism has been reformed by the AI. Should I just try to pick that up somehow?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What, exactly, am I looking at here? Did your ruler get an event where they could gently caress a 12-year-old? :psyduck:

Seems like it lol

I'm sure that'll get patched.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Also, norse paganism has been reformed by the AI. Should I just try to pick that up somehow?
Do you really need to ask?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Also, norse paganism has been reformed by the AI. Should I just try to pick that up somehow?

Norse paganism is basically about being two things: decadent and violent. You're already half way there.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm in the middle of my first sunni game, and 200 years in I think I'm already seeing the start of a decadence spiral. I made some dumb title handouts and marriage choices, so I think it's time to switch religions, and fast. I've got a couple of jewish courtiers, and I'm sure the catholics would love to get hispania back, so what are my real options, here? Also, norse paganism has been reformed by the AI. Should I just try to pick that up somehow?

Honestly if you're in Spain I would say go Catholic. But really, decadence can be recovered from if you're willing to go to war with and imprison the decadent kinsmen in question. Decadent kinsmen don't add decadence to you if they're in jail. Usually when they refuse to straighten up you get a valid reason to imprison them anyway.

In other news, I'm pretty sure my ruler is a superjew. I crushed that Shia jihad and conquered Sinai, establishing a merchant republic there. He's Gideon II, or King Gideon Ironside of Abyssinia. Dude's beaten the Abbasids three times now, once for independence, once to take Aswan, and once in a Sunni jihad, hauled Judaism from secrecy into the open, and is slowly conquering his way to Jerusalem. He's also the head Magus of the Hermetics. Man I wish this dude would turn immortal, he loving rules.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 16, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Any tips on increasing my army size as a feudal catholic? Every game where I'm feudal catholic it feels like my army is tiny, and I have to rely on mercenaries to fight my wars. As the king of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, I switched to Feudalism, and my levies instantly dropped to like a quarter of what they were, and my lieges are giving me jack poo poo.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Honky Dong Country posted:

He's also the head Magus of the Hermetics. Man I wish this dude would turn immortal, he loving rules.

Once you've had a hermetic ruler or two, all your rulers are great rulers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Geisladisk posted:

Any tips on increasing my army size as a feudal catholic? Every game where I'm feudal catholic it feels like my army is tiny, and I have to rely on mercenaries to fight my wars. As the king of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, I switched to Feudalism, and my levies instantly dropped to like a quarter of what they were, and my lieges are giving me jack poo poo.

Switching from tribal is going to kill your army size for a long time. Tribal army generation is way different than feudal. Empty holdings give you troops, and calling your allied vassals to war gives you their full army (as an ally). Feudal armies are generated through upgraded holdings, and vassals only need to provide a percentage of their own.

You need to get your personally holdings upgraded ASAP, since that's where your troop counts will come from. You're basically at the minimum infrastructure level, with only a castle now. Check out those buildings to find which ones give you troops, and build them now. You also might want more castles built in your personal holdings, to upgrade them as well. It'll be a long, costly endeavour.

Your vassals are in the same boat. They're either tribal and don't supply you anything, or feudal with only a castle to their name.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its extra futzy just after you go feudal because if I remember right you get the recently conquered malus (or something a lot like it) which means your leveies don't even start reinforcing for a year and then you're training troops for a few more years before you are at fighting weight.

Its suicide without mercenary money, hostile neighbors preoccupied, or preferably both.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

Once you've had a hermetic ruler or two, all your rulers are great rulers.
Between the 1/ruler holy relic theft and the 1/ruler magnum opus, I think probably the best approach is for everyone to spend their early years in a holy order until they get the chance to steal a piece of Jesus, then switch to hermetics for a lifetime.

Need 25 learning to make the highest-quality magna opera, though.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 16, 2017

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What, exactly, am I looking at here? Did your ruler get an event where they could gently caress a 12-year-old? :psyduck:

Yeah :(

It's not an iron man run so in the absence of a console command to force all these children out of the Satanists I might just euthanise that save as a reality that must not exist.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Strudel Man posted:

Need 25 learning to make the highest-quality magna opi, though.

But so many hermetic tasks and artefacts give you learning that it's really easy to get there.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

But so many hermetic tasks and artefacts give you learning that it's really easy to get there.

Ish. You wanna get there before the first one you make, though, or else it'll block your descendents from making a better one of that type.

Kinda surprised you can't sell/throw away excess artifacts.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Speaking of hermetics, as a Zunist with a lab and 25 learning, I keep failing the observe the stars mission even when picking every single option to study them.

This has to be a bug....

Also lol the West remains a mess; the Ummayds still haven't made Hispania for some reason but they managed to get Mauritania...

only to promptly lose it to an elective faction?? That needs them to have hosed up every single law lol

Islam sure is in the shitter. Really makes me wonder if I shouldn't head to the Duchy of Medina and see if I can speed it up...

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 17, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Ish. You wanna get there before the first one you make, though, or else it'll block your descendents from making a better one of that type.

Kinda surprised you can't sell/throw away excess artifacts.

Yeah it would be nice to at least clear out some of the redundant equippable items I have. It would be nice if you could sell/trade the more "mundane" stuff - like I get that maybe it would be weird to try to trade away holy relics but surely "a pretty nice sword" is fair game to give away when I already have 3.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Norse paganism is basically about being two things: decadent and violent. You're already half way there.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Honestly if you're in Spain I would say go Catholic. But really, decadence can be recovered from if you're willing to go to war with and imprison the decadent kinsmen in question. Decadent kinsmen don't add decadence to you if they're in jail. Usually when they refuse to straighten up you get a valid reason to imprison them anyway.

In other news, I'm pretty sure my ruler is a superjew. I crushed that Shia jihad and conquered Sinai, establishing a merchant republic there. He's Gideon II, or King Gideon Ironside of Abyssinia. Dude's beaten the Abbasids three times now, once for independence, once to take Aswan, and once in a Sunni jihad, hauled Judaism from secrecy into the open, and is slowly conquering his way to Jerusalem. He's also the head Magus of the Hermetics. Man I wish this dude would turn immortal, he loving rules.

Both of these sound great, but how do I do it? I've only encountered religious conversion to heresies, none of which sound very interesting. I don't have Monks and Mystics yet, but I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm going to take a wild guess and say there are religious secret societies and you can secretly be an illegal religion?

I was thinking about sending my heir to be educated by the jewish chancellor in my court; that has a reasonably high conversion rate, right? Or should I just get him to marry a bunch of other-religion characters and hope one of them tries to convert him?

EDIT: OR, could I hold a tournament where males of my dynasty have to fight each other to the death until only one or two remains? I think that would be best.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 17, 2017

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So Hel is about side snacking between Blots I gather?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

No Pants posted:

If you're an immortal, you can get an event where an immortal challenger appears. Some of the routes have them sticking around afterward.

I had this fire and it was great, but it only happened once :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

genericnick posted:

So Hel is about side snacking between Blots I gather?
It's actually about imprisoning and killing your brothers without getting kinslayer! Oh and pruning your family tree so only one son inherits if you want to do that. Or about killing every same-religion enemy with possessed and inducted people.

Ok, so I feel like sharing some of the stuff that's been happening while Zunism spreads to the steppes and takes on India:

That's the extent of Buddhist Africa. Sadly, they split up a little bit after this and the AI is really dumb about revoking poo poo to get back up to demesne cap so I'm not terribly hopeful. They have managed to make almost all of their Africa Buddhist though!

I didn't notice this one for a while because the colours blend a bit but that's Pecs, the pagan part of Sicily. I'm really hoping they manage to get a little bit more land, though I don't think they can create Sicily without getting, well, Sicily.

why does this keep happening
HOW does this keep happening???

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

edit: y'all try and see why I'm grinning like a maniac over this one:

:lol: Buddhism aside, isn't that an Indian county in his list of titles?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

As I learned again, France is for experienced dudes. You get your poo poo invaded on the regular after a bit. I think I even had a 2nd Sens revolt, along with King Bodeuwyn or whatever invading Gent. But of course, I managed to father an Heir with the wife of the leader of the 1st Sens revolt after... some time of trying to court her. Oh, also held a Grand Tournament. Long story short, "Most Unfortunate".

Just a few things: What are some good ways to increase Piety? The idea of creating a new Kingdom sounds tight. Also, should I immediately give created titles away after they were made? And to whom, the people with a really good opinion of me?

But despite all that, I think I would actually consider either doing a Muslim run or a "Convert very not Jewish place to Judaism" run.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Theology focus will give you one hundred piety on the regular.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

:lol: Buddhism aside, isn't that an Indian county in his list of titles?
Nah, county shields change with different religions. If he was within India I'd have diplo-range for him and I'd have allied him faster than a blazing mofo because I find the idea of Zunists and Buddhists splitting the world hilarious

As is, they're probably gonna be Jihaded to poo poo soon, which is when I'll take the chance to get Baghdad I think. Maybe Mecca.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like religions that boost tech gains like Buddhism and Judaism. Mostly due to speedier gains of military organization and thus retinue size. I really, really loving love retinues. Also legalism for access to late imperial rule and poo poo or even trade practices for republics. Technology owns.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 17, 2017

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So if you're a Satanist and get the event where someone gives you a hunting dog, you can choose to name it Lucifer. I love these little details.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So if you're a Satanist and get the event where someone gives you a hunting dog, you can choose to name it Lucifer. I love these little details.
That's always been there, as an option for the crazy and possessed. Just wait til the dog dies.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Strudel Man posted:

Has anyone had a successful artifact search? I've only seen it fail, like 4 or 5 times now

Yeah, I had that pop up. Oddly enough, one of the options was looking in a chapel in my own county for it.

It was the medium distance option.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I succeeded by searching the local antiquarian, which was the cheapest and closest option yet somehow had a better chance of success than the middle option.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

BenRGamer posted:

Yeah, I had that pop up. Oddly enough, one of the options was looking in a chapel in my own county for it.

It was the medium distance option.

Nah, not the hermetic mission, I mean the thing where one of your councilors goes out searching for an item.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, not the hermetic mission, I mean the thing where one of your councilors goes out searching for an item.

It always seems to pick my oldest, sickliest councilors, so they have a bad habit of dying pretty early into the mission.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Well, the decadence spiral ended due to a massive outbreak of consumption, and in the process most of France became Jewish(?)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the decadence spiral ended due to a massive outbreak of consumption, and in the process most of France became Jewish(?)

Someone got the Jewish servant event, granted him land, demanded reconversion later on, guy remained a secret jew, made everyone who inherited after the outbreak into secret jews?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

why does this keep happening
HOW does this keep happening???

WHAT keeps happening?????

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jedit posted:

Female rulers, when the succession laws available to muslims prohibit them? I assume, anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Patrat posted:

One trick I have found that is rather amusing, certainly in early starts. Get a bishop with incompatible traits who hates you? Well they are now your new court chaplain! Who is off to try to convert the vikings.

It seems to be an almost surefire way to get rid of people.

It's the Blackadder Method. Except you're not the one impaling them on a Turkish helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Women inherit a title when they're muslims, which is supposed to be impossible and then marry non-matrilineally and lose the title

Not in this case as they had a kinsman lying around but it's happened several times now, in both cases with Muslim multi-kingdoms splitting up

Heck, it even happened in the "Place in the Sun" stream

• Locked thread