Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

spwrozek posted:

Let me know when the next crash is and I will hold off on contributing until then. Should I have told my company I don't want my yearly match since it was paid last week too? In 30 years the money I just put in will beat inflation on the average and it will not over time matter with short term losses. It is not like I am picking stocks, it is all indexed.

I am 30 years old. I don't expect to touch my Roth until I am 60.

But then again I max my 401K, My Roth, My HSA, my mom's Roth, and at a minimum put $500 a month in a taxable account.

I don't know, imo it was pretty obvious when the past few big dips happened that it was time to get in. The Chinese market crash, the OPEC gas price decision to lower oil prices.... You're most likely managing more money than I am so :shrug:

Just sit on the money and wait until the news media is crying doom and gloom over big economic events like those, make sure the indices dipped at least a few hundred basis points over the news cycle, then get in? idk, that's what makes sense to me, at least, but I'm no professional here.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't know, imo it was pretty obvious when the past few big dips happened that it was time to get in. The Chinese market crash, the OPEC gas price decision to lower oil prices.... You're most likely managing more money than I am so :shrug:

Just sit on the money and wait until the news media is crying doom and gloom over big economic events like those, make sure the indices dipped at least a few hundred basis points over the news cycle, then get in? idk, that's what makes sense to me, at least, but I'm no professional here.

Can you tell me a little more about your market timing scheme, or maybe share some results that demonstrate how you have used it to beat the market over time?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Love how that graph doesn't show 2007-2010.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Love how that graph doesn't show 2007-2010.

If I had money back then, I probably would've included it I guess. I'm sorry that my investment activity didn't start early enough for you.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Holy poo poo guys he's figured it all out!

You're gonna be the guy who in 2012 says 1200 is too high, I'll get in after it dips. Now it's at 2400 and all your money is still under your mattress.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Well it was nice visiting this thread

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Well it was nice visiting this thread

I hope you stick around BFC and even come visit the Long Term Saving and Investing thread. I think you would both add and get a lot out of that thread.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pretend it's the middle of 2013, and the market is at 1600. The next "good" time to buy was during the OPEC gas price thing (or maybe the small downturn in the fall of 2014), when the index went down to 1800. It would have been better to buy when it was at 1600 instead of waiting. Since you can never know when the next crash is, or how bad it's going to be, statistically speaking you're always better off in the long run if you buy as soon as possible.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Finally got around to filing with Turbotax and my federal return was accepted, which hopefully means I wasn't the target of tax fraud for one more year. Phew!

...my federal refund was $31 and I owed $3 in state taxes. Since I have an HSA, I needed to do turbotax deluxe so it added up to $72 with state filing...meaning I paid a net $44 to file taxes.

I guess it's GWM that my withholdings are pretty much perfect, but I do kind of miss the years when I got a sweet 4 figure refund.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Nail Rat posted:

Finally got around to filing with Turbotax and my federal return was accepted, which hopefully means I wasn't the target of tax fraud for one more year. Phew!

...my federal refund was $31 and I owed $3 in state taxes. Since I have an HSA, I needed to do turbotax deluxe so it added up to $72 with state filing...meaning I paid a net $44 to file taxes.

I guess it's GWM that my withholdings are pretty much perfect, but I do kind of miss the years when I got a sweet 4 figure refund.

Had a similar tax filing experience, and reading this didn't help: https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-maker-of-turbotax-fought-free-simple-tax-filing

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I was hopeful about Credit Karma's version, but it's really horrible and told me I owed like $800 after answering all the questions...rather than spend several hours of my time figuring out what they missed, I just paid Turbotax like a good consumer drone.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
FWIW I've been using tax slayer for the last 3 or 4 years, prior to that I was using H&R block online. For both federal and state I was under $40, which is probably less than half of what H&R block was.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Every year I post this link, so if you make less than around $64k you should be able to free file:
https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I did my taxes this year through TaxAct. I ended up having to pay around $1300 because our tax situation sucks (low interest rates on mortgages, no children, etc.) but that's about half what we paid last year.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Man, do you guys not have many free options in the US?

I think there's at least two free options here in Canada. These are private companies that provide free software, for some reason. Studio Tax is the one I use, but there's also SimpleTax.ca which I believe is free. They're probably selling my information to the Illuminati or something but that's fine by me.

:canada:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This year I'm trying to file for free. Not much has changed since last year so I'm using TurboTax's output from last year as a go-by. Fingers crossed!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Man, do you guys not have many free options in the US?

I literally just posted a link to a bunch of free options if your wages are low enough.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah I was hopeful about Credit Karma's version, but it's really horrible and told me I owed like $800 after answering all the questions...rather than spend several hours of my time figuring out what they missed, I just paid Turbotax like a good consumer drone.

Worked well for me afaik, ended up about where I expected to be.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just rebalanced my investments, and was once again reminded that I thought a five year GIC in natural ressources index was a GREAT IDEA at the top of the market in 2014. Dumbass.

Oh and if that wasn't dumb enough, I pretty much work in natural resources. What's diversification?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It's where you buy multiple different breeds of show quality pedigree dogs so one particular genetic issue due to all the inbreeding doesn't wipe out your whole stock!

Spreading your risk across different puppy loan brokers, too...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's where you buy multiple different breeds of show quality pedigree dogs so one particular genetic issue due to all the inbreeding doesn't wipe out your whole stock!

Spreading your risk across different puppy loan brokers, too...

What about cats?

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I figure this didn't warrant its own thread so here it goes: I live at home, I'm 30, I have my BS in psychology and I haven't worked in a few years due to depression and other things. I really think living at home is holding me back from moving forward with my life and I need to try something different. Other pertinent details: I live near Boston so rent isn't exactly cheap, I declared bankruptcy in early 2015 due to having huge credit card balances and not working, and I'm fairly certain I defaulted on my student loans. I know defaulting is probably a very bad thing to have done but I didn't care at the time due to mental health issues.

Would you folks recommend I look for employment I can stick with and then pray I can find a place to live that won't check my credit score? Or would doing everything at once motivate me to stick with being serious about working? I had a few chances to move in with my ex a few years ago but that didn't materialize for one reason or another.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ServoMST3K posted:

I figure this didn't warrant its own thread so here it goes: I live at home, I'm 30, I have my BS in psychology and I haven't worked in a few years due to depression and other things. I really think living at home is holding me back from moving forward with my life and I need to try something different. Other pertinent details: I live near Boston so rent isn't exactly cheap, I declared bankruptcy in early 2015 due to having huge credit card balances and not working, and I'm fairly certain I defaulted on my student loans. I know defaulting is probably a very bad thing to have done but I didn't care at the time due to mental health issues.

Would you folks recommend I look for employment I can stick with and then pray I can find a place to live that won't check my credit score? Or would doing everything at once motivate me to stick with being serious about working? I had a few chances to move in with my ex a few years ago but that didn't materialize for one reason or another.

You probably don't need a credit check if you're subletting from a roommate and in Boston you'll probably need a roommate. Check craigslist for people looking to replace a leaving roommate and I bet they'll be plenty of ads.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

That's a good point, thanks. I live slightly north of the city so hopefully my options won't be sparse.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bought a crazy expensive blender this weekend. Have wanted one for a long time, didn't budget for it but had extra discretionary money around. No ragrets.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Carelessly destroyed some the stuff I need for work and had to replace it. Now I'm angry at myself that I a) have to break with my tradition of a stable saving amount per month no matter what and b) did not put enough money in the respective envelope to prepare for this case, even though my YNAB reports for the last two years kinda predict a spending spike in the category.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was just using our fairly expensive food processor last night and thought to myself, "Man, it's nice that we finally paid for a good one instead of buying lovely ones every year or so."

Good stuff that you use regularly is GWM. Enjoy!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nocheez posted:

I was just using our fairly expensive food processor last night and thought to myself, "Man, it's nice that we finally paid for a good one instead of buying lovely ones every year or so."

Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness in action.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Bought a crazy expensive blender this weekend. Have wanted one for a long time, didn't budget for it but had extra discretionary money around. No ragrets.

You didn't name names but the $500 blender I bought three years ago is one of the best purchases I ever made. I use it every. single. day.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

sweet_jones posted:

You didn't name names but the $500 blender I bought three years ago is one of the best purchases I ever made. I use it every. single. day.

It is a Vitamix, and so far I have used it quite a bit. I never realized what a lovely job our "magic bullet" was doing, but this thing maybe earns a permanent spot on our counter. I even like the way it cleans itself.

It also has a 7+2 year warranty because we bought it from my favorite, CostCo.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

In the "actual meaningful change" department, I have terminated my banking relationship with Wells Fargo - aside from one remaining credit card on which I placed an indefinite administrative hold - and moved to a local credit union. :feelsgood:

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

There's a sleep study going on near me in Boston and it lasts a hefty 27 days but pays 6,000+ for compensation. That's far, far more than I'm capable of making in a month right now so I filled out the questionnaire for it online. Has anyone done something similar to this, and am I crazy for giving something this long a shot?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Do they only need you during normal sleeping hours? Can you hold down your regular job while doing it?

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

I'm unemployed currently, and the study is pretty intense. You have a few weeks of outpatient visits then you literally stay in a windowless suite for 27 days and they gently caress with you off and on. It's probably a lot like travelling in a space shuttle but without the g force and the motion sickness. You have no idea what time of day it is or anything. You can't be taking any medication either.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm unemployed currently, and the study is pretty intense. You have a few weeks of outpatient visits then you literally stay in a windowless suite for 27 days and they gently caress with you off and on. It's probably a lot like travelling in a space shuttle but without the g force and the motion sickness. You have no idea what time of day it is or anything. You can't be taking any medication either.

You literally never leave the windowless suite? That sounds like it might cause long lasting psychological issues and not be worth $6,000.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sleep studies can be extremely intense and you should think long and hard before you sign up for one of them. There's a very good reason that they have to offer large sums of money to get people to participate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Uhh do you get internet???

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Nope, no Internet, you're not allowed to know what time of day it is. I'm not worried about the psychological issues because I'm free to withdraw at any time if I'm feeling wacky or out of sorts and I still get paid for whatever time I completed. I'm really trying to get my poo poo together and move out of my mom's house and this would help me a bunch. I don't even enjoy spending time at home right now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

What are you supposed to do all day? You're going to get restless as gently caress not being able to leave a windowless box. Will there be other people in the same living area as you? If not, prepare to go nuts.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Can you have a Kindle? I would use that time to get caught up on my reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kindles have clocks so I think that's out.