Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ok I did this on accident but for real tho, how do you get down. I tried every single button, including holding circle since you get on normal mounts like that, and nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i dunno but thats awesome

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had hacked him so that's probably why it let me ride him. also I found a spot where you can roll forever

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I found that as 2B by accident last night and entered a pocket dimension of spinning and butts.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Was at work and had a sudden thought to buy it. Thanks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok I did this on accident but for real tho, how do you get down. I tried every single button, including holding circle since you get on normal mounts like that, and nothing

That owns

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ending spoiler That Ending and those credits l.. I hope someone got my help, with a tear in my eye and the platinum trophy, which is my first platinum ever.. Thank you, Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Starting Route D tonight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

Starting Route D tonight.

It's not much of a route as you can just use chapter select to the final mission and pick the other option.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Are there any sales coming up for Nier Automata on PS4?
2. Having watched the demo, has it lived up to the hype of fan expectations?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Grouchio posted:

1. Are there any sales coming up for Nier Automata on PS4?
2. Having watched the demo, has it lived up to the hype of fan expectations?

1. Why would there be? It just came out.
2. Yes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Drakengard and Whole Game (Automata) spoilers

So I forgot most of Drakengard but recently went back and refreshed myself just for kicks and now I'm super loving confused in Automata because of all the callbacks.

I've counted
Ending names: Flowers for a Broken Machine, Flowers for a Broken Spirit
Manah's watcher voice turning into that of a mans. The two girls in red do the same thing.
Watcher!Manah's stupid la la la thing comes back with the Emil copies doing the same thing.

Is the game trying to imply something here? Or is it just call backs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I forgot most of Drakengard but recently went back and refreshed myself just for kicks and now I'm super loving confused in Automata because of all the callbacks.

I've counted
Manah's watcher voice turning into that of a mans. The two girls in red do the same thing.
Watcher!Manah's stupid la la la thing comes back with the Emil copies doing the same thing.

IMO there's nothing there, it's just reaching. In the grand drakengard and nier tradition any significant developments on the larger story front will come in tie-in novels, art books, short stories, mangas, doujins, drama CDs, etc etc

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I just got ending E and man oh man is it something special :allears:

And now that i've seen ending E, the credits rolling backwards makes far more sense now. Also, Pod 042 and 153 are adorable and I feel like fan artists are focusing too much on the butt and not enough on the robot buddies.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just beat Route A this evening. This game rocks.

Starting route B and Oh boy, here we go! This kind of alternate view stuff is what I've been looking forward to since I started the game. Really liking the hacking gameplay, makes fights a lot more interesting and different.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've counted

The DragonSphere is not a linear timeline, it's a sphere, there are paradoxes all over the place. They aren't callbacks so much as causality loops.

The only one we know who is aware of this is Accord and she makes no appearance in Automata. But is mentioned by name, so she is absolutely observing stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's not much of a route as you can just use chapter select to the final mission and pick the other option.

What like just skip to the end beat it then repeat?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

Yep.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

verbal enema posted:

yea just select the last chapter, then select the duel between 2a and 9s

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ah neat. Think I'll see what sidequests I haven't done yet maybe poke around some areas I don't frequent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Ah neat. Think I'll see what sidequests I haven't done yet maybe poke around some areas I don't frequent.

make sure to check out the machine head girl in the resistance camp like the game mentioned

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've got all the weapons upgraded and beat the second boss fight but didn't get the trophy for it. I still have some work to put in for the platinum anyway so I'll probably get enough money to buy it, but is there something specific to get it to trigger? I did get the Y ending first, then redo it and finish it "properly" (I think, since it said the quest was complete, saved, and brought me back to the title screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The trophy is for the first fight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone explain how the plug in chips work? I don't even know how to explain what I don't understand about them because I don't get what is going on at all.

The auto heal stopped working when I tried to figure them out and now it looks like I have it equipped but it doesn't work. I don't know if I'm just an idiot but this is totally confusing.

Edit: auto heal is not what I thought it was. Do you lose the healing item auto use thing after the intro?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 17, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone explain how the plug in chips work? I don't even know how to explain what I don't understand about them because I don't get what is going on at all.

The auto heal stopped working when I tried to figure them out and now it looks like I have it equipped but it doesn't work. I don't know if I'm just an idiot but this is totally confusing.

Edit: auto heal is not what I thought it was. Do you lose the healing item auto use thing after the intro?

Yeah.

You can go back to the factory right away and get your intro inventory back. I'm not sure if the chip's included there though. It'll show up eventually for sale from someone or another too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word, thanks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yo peeps is this game worth the 60 if I liked MG: Rising and want more gigantic bosses and stuff? Hows the story/game universe? I'm thoroughly exhausted of games that I have no emotional investment in, or at least exhausted of cookie cutterness in general.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I would buy it based off that last sentence alone.

The combat is good but I haven't played any other Platinum games so :/ my bad on that

I cried a lot last night during my 3rd play so yeah there is some emotional investiture

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Do I really need to save scum to do the very first quest in the game? The gently caress?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

dont come into nier expecting mgr 2 or bayonetta 3, its a action rpg with an emphthesis on the rpg, but game play is crisp and if you want something with an original story/setting then this is the game for it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

dont come into nier expecting mgr 2 or bayonetta 3, its a action rpg with an emphthesis on the rpg, but game play is crisp and if you want something with an original story/setting then this is the game for it

I'm talking on a really basic level with combos, blocks/parrys, and fighting dudes multiple times taller than me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Emron posted:

Do I really need to save scum to do the very first quest in the game? The gently caress?

What difficulty are you on

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

buglord posted:

I'm talking on a really basic level with combos, blocks/parrys, and fighting dudes multiple times taller than me.

oh yeah thats all there for sure, apparently a lot of the staff from mgr are from this and the basics are all there. some people i know where kind of cross because the game didnt have the same depth of combat, but it is sharp platinum style

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm 53% on side quests and having fun but I wish they relied on fewer hidden objects as quest markers because I'm tired of adjusting map so I can find the NPC/Item/chest to interact with.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

buglord posted:

Yo peeps is this game worth the 60 if I liked MG: Rising and want more gigantic bosses and stuff? Hows the story/game universe? I'm thoroughly exhausted of games that I have no emotional investment in, or at least exhausted of cookie cutterness in general.

Probably yes.

Story/characters/emotions are S+ tier.
World setting is cool too.
The actual gameplay world is alright. Not the best open world map ever but big and varied enough that it keeps you in, without being too big.

Gameplay is fun.

The core is platinum MGR beat em up type stuff, mixed with a load of shmup style shooting. There are very simple combos, you dodge enemy attacks and can then counter.

BUT there's no scoring system, and the game is primarily an rpg. I dunno if its got the same level of technical combat stuff, like cancels or whatever but there's not really any reason or incentive to master that, with more focus on gear/powers/items/etc. It's still very fun and good though especially if you want to just smash a bunch of robots.

The boss fights and set pieces are great, although honestly I wouldn't say to the same level of adrenaline pumping heart pounding that MGR bosses had. What I mean is there's not really any "rules of nature" moment where the fight goes to the next level, with a few exceptions, at least imo. Well, the tutorial boss has a pretty good one actually.

Overall I'd rate it as very very good and worth a buy especially based on what you said. At the least check out the demo maybe if you can, it'll give you a good idea of the combat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

buglord posted:

there are combos and stuff but blocks/parries are kinda hidden in that they're plug-ins (basically equipable skills) that you can install. they compete with a lot of other stuff tho, such as basic stat boosts, a thing that adds a master sword style shockwave to your sword, etc. it also has a bullet hell element that isn't in those character action games platinum is known for, plus some other cool gameplay gimmicks that pop up. the game's easy enough that you don't need anything fancy on normal, but there's more depth to it than you're given up front if you're into that stuff. you can totally mash square to win fights tho. there are dudes multiple times taller than you to fight, yes, and the story is all about emotional investment

I'd say that this game plays second only to maybe dragon's dogma so far as fun combat in an arpg goes

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

verbal enema posted:

What difficulty are you on

Normal. Had to load three times for those fuckers to drop their items. Weird!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Emron posted:

Normal. Had to load three times for those fuckers to drop their items. Weird!

If this is for the Weapon Shop dude, the quest items are just sitting around on the ground over there.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

HellCopter posted:

If this is for the Weapon Shop dude, the quest items are just sitting around on the ground over there.

No, it was the supply shop guy's quest. I cleared the enemies without anything dropping, so I quicksaved and loaded three times to get everything. Not sure if it bugged out or what. I'm in the desert now, and I've got no clue what's going on. It's definitely picked up, it was just a weird experience to see drop rates affect a quest with a finite number of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Yeaaaaaaah I had the same issue. Didn't really ruin or sour me when I got into the game proper though.