Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

chaleski posted:

Anderson was... always bad?

it's pretty amazing that a 38 year old man can snap his leg in half and then lose a few decisions (and win some too) and then he was never really that great anyway, despite finishing a ton of great fighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's not that Anderson was bad, it's just that he was never really that good

Anderson Silva is actually Rhonda Rousey.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

it's pretty amazing that a 38 year old man can snap his leg in half and then lose a few decisions (and win some too) and then he was never really that great anyway, despite finishing a ton of great fighters

he was getting humiated by chael sonnen in his prime with an unsnapped leg.

silva was an elite fighter in his era and an entertaining champion but the pedestal he's put on by his stans when voiced today is pretty laughable

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anderson Silva was not Always Bad.

Bisping would have always been a tough matchup for Silva, not because Bisping has been underrated or is super good or because he wasn't hittable, but because styles make fights, and Bisping's generally conservative outside kickboxing volume game is a strong counter to Silva's feint-heavy counter game. Likewise, Bisping's worst losses have been to guys who are able to come forward and overwhelm his defenses or apply relentless pressure. Anderson Silva was never that fighter.

Also Anderson Silva lost to a guy whose next best win was Emmanuel Yarborough.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Oh boy

Anderson is 2-0 against Chael, who was his worst possible matchup at the time

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

chaleski posted:

Anderson was... always bad?

lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
this thread is a trip

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

this .. the two losses hes had since coming back from breaking his leg (generally a career ending injury at his age) have been to the current middleweight champion (after knocking him out) and a 2 day notice loss to daniel cormier who is the interim lhw champion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

this .. the two losses hes had since coming back from breaking his leg (generally a career ending injury at his age) have been to the current middleweight champion and a 2 day notice loss to daniel cormier who is the interim lhw champion

yeah, in other words, actually good and elite fighters. anderson isn't losing because he's old, he's losing to these people because he was a minute and a half from dropping 5 rounds to chael sonnen when he was 30.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping

The Silva and Bisping of today are different, if the same Bisping who used to lose to every top guy he fought had fought the Silva who ruled MW for the better part of a decade, Bisping would've been clowned on. Silva's reflexes and chin are nowhere what they used to be, and before Bisping teamed up with Parillo he never had fight-changing power

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

yeah, in other words, actually good and elite fighters. anderson isn't losing because he's old, he's losing to these people because he was a minute and a half from dropping 5 rounds to chael sonnen when he was 30.

hes going to beat gastelum and siphon about $20000 away from goon gamblers just like over the hill and always bad JDS did with epic super future UFC champion ben rothwell. well maybe not but itll be funny if he does

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anyone who thought jds was over the hill since the stipe fight is fully loving retarded

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
everyone did, in this very thread

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah, it was funny

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Skip My Posts posted:

oh at any point in his career meaning the lowest points of his career, got it

do you think that anderson rolled a dice before each fight to decide if he was going to fight, or do you think that the three opponents who refused to play into his gameplan by leading aggressively with strikes maybe had something to do with it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i thought rothwell might have beaten jds if his chin was gone because overeem fully smoked him and jds is very hittable for an elite striker. but overeem hits absurdly hard.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

man i've heard kelvin and jds called hittable over the last week or so and it really drives home how we can all watch the same completely different fights and then argue about it for pages

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's cool that people read jack slack and now get to say stuff like "moving in angles" for pretty much any situation

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

silva could never beat the contender s of today, a retired gsp and an older, more asthmatic dan henderson

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

man i've heard kelvin and jds called hittable over the last week or so and it really drives home how we can all watch the same completely different fights and then argue about it for pages

i think jds pulls straight back with his hands down a lot, which is how cain and overeem killed him multiple times.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

i think jds pulls straight back with his hands down a lot, which is how cain and overeem killed him multiple times.

you may well be right it's just something i've never noticed. doesn't explain how you thought ben rothwell was going to cover distance and exploit that though...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Anderson was so drat good and he was leveraging people's fear of him to maximum effect when he was on a roll.

Weidman knocking him out was still really cool and the aftermath was fun too.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

chael is the most mentioned fighter in this thread and he has been dead for years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

vainman posted:

chael is the most mentioned fighter in this thread and he has been dead for years

I miss the days when it was Fedor, a man never employed by the company

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

you may well be right it's just something i've never noticed. doesn't explain how you thought ben rothwell was going to cover distance and exploit that though...

i don't know, i thought rothwell maybe could walk him down against his face. tbh rothwell's mummy guard was very cool and i was bamboozled.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

vainman posted:

silva could never beat the contender s of today, a retired gsp and an older, more asthmatic dan henderson

Dan Henderson is much different as a fighter than he was 9 years ago when Silva whipped his rear end. For example, he gets a lot of arm work in lifting mail from the aarp, so the BRH is deadlier than ever

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I was triggered by the "Andy bad" stuff.

Then I remembered I'm on the internet, where on a long enough timeline everyone was always bad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Anderson is way out into doesn't give a gently caress about anything territory. This will make him either terrifying or mind numbing depending on that Lord God.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/842520250172096512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think that Kelvin is being overrated now and Anderson is being underrated now, and I think this despite liking Kelvin and not really liking Anderson.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

this .. the two losses hes had since coming back from breaking his leg (generally a career ending injury at his age) have been to the current middleweight champion (after knocking him out) and a 2 day notice loss to daniel cormier who is the interim lhw champion

this is a good point for sure but prior to breaking his leg against Weidman he was getting tooled up and nearly finished in the first round. i don't think silva was bad by any means, he was awesome

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

big money big clit posted:

I think that Kelvin is being overrated now and Anderson is being underrated now, and I think this despite liking Kelvin and not really liking Anderson.

i agree

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Nobody is saying that Anderson was ever bad or is bad now, and if you read things like that you might be too close to the subject emotionally.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cis autodrag posted:

finally, the scientific portion of safta will be redeemed

SAFTA proved inferior as a base for doping to whatever 19 year old Vitor was on

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Pretty embarrassing how he only barely beat that renowned cheater and then made him pratfall himself into a TKO in their rematch

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

* the people he was fighting when champ were deeply flawed compared to the contenders today
* the people he's getting embarrassed by today are studs

When he was champ, Michael Bisping was the guy getting flattened by all those deeply flawed contenders, and time has not made a half blind 38 year old man with no boxing defence a stud. As evidence, he still managed to get cracked by the same guy who once flattened many moons ago, twice. Turns out that guy hits a bit less hard at 47 than he did at 38.

Daniel Cormier is a better fighter than anyone he faced, but he's also not a Middleweight.

Weidman is the one guy who fits your pattern, but you used the plural.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

Nobody is saying that Anderson was ever bad or is bad now, and if you read things like that you might be too close to the subject emotionally.

you're definitely correct that the level of competition is much higher now

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
the majority of discussion in this forum comes from people not knowing that favorable and unfavorable style matchups are a thing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

you're definitely correct that the level of competition is much higher now

It probably is. Romero and Jacare represent a much higher level of competition than, say, Nate Marquardt. But Andy hasn't fought either of those guys and is unlikely to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

everyone did, in this very thread

nope

• Locked thread