Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

That's not what my post said though?

You said the plotting and writing wasn't there. I'm saying that that I like the writing and plotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I feel like I would like Legion's plot a lot more if Stranger Things hadn't come out before it, because they're both about the same thing (a powerful psychic who has been damaged by being institutionalized and experimented on accidentally makes contact with a malevolent force from another world, seeks to understand and stop it with the help of new friends) but ST respected the intelligence of the characters and audience by showing its hand fairly quickly while Legion is still acting like its some big reveal to build toward and still has people who are supppsed to be genius experts in supernatural phenoma be struggling with something the audience figured out two episodes in.

Also tuliphead was actually creepy, a fat goth with a killer goiter notsomuch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak, Have you not watched any Magicians yet? You should rectify that ASAP.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I might check it out. Nothing I've heard about it really seemed interesting to me...

LEGION is loving terrifying. Like, creeping the poo poo out of me. Like, pulling my quilt up around my shoulders loving scary.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lucky for you that there are only two episodes left then.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Of Legion? I just started it last night so I'm on the third episode right now. Really digging it so far.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Snak posted:

Of Legion? I just started it last night so I'm on the third episode right now. Really digging it so far.

Eight episodes total for season 1. Six have aired.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Expanse has been renewed for a 13 episode third season.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

GreenNight posted:

Eight episodes total for season 1. Six have aired.

What? No way, it's gotta be more than *checks IMDB* oh ... :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's already been renewed at least.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The Expanse has been renewed for a 13 episode third season.

gently caress yes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Man In The High Castle has inadvertently struck a killing blow to satire.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

Don't worry, Episode 5 is a carefree, fun episode. I recommend watching it late at night with the lights off so you have a real happy feeling before you go to bed!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Literally probably what's gonna happen tonight.

Edit: what fuckin' year is Legion supposed to take place in? Cause at first it seemed pretty modern, but it seems to take place in the 70s?

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 17, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It takes place in the year it takes place in.

Or, possibly, it doesn't.

Can't really say.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well the say they one lady's husband inherited the place in the forties and built the facility 30 years ago. Everyone dresses like the 70s. Payphones, no cell phones. Oscilloscopes, tape recorders. I'm gonna assume it's supposed to take place in the ballpark of the 70s, and that the G36s used by the commandos are anachronistic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Explain the touch screen computers then Mr Smartpants. Or the flat screen HDTVs.

It takes place at the same time as Archer. They're both on FX after all.

Don't think about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I don't think I've seen any of those. Hmm.

Like, I would have accepted that exact explanation, until they started mentioning dates in the story.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Guy Mann posted:

I feel like I would like Legion's plot a lot more if Stranger Things hadn't come out before it, because they're both about the same thing (a powerful psychic who has been damaged by being institutionalized and experimented on accidentally makes contact with a malevolent force from another world, seeks to understand and stop it with the help of new friends)

Thanks for the laugh dude, I needed it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yep, I just saw a tablet.

Okay, well, I guess I can stop worrying about the G36s then.

I really like this show so far. Reminds me of Hannibal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hoooooooly poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What a time to be alive

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hate how half the articles on AV Club have just been "TRUMP BAD" since the middle of last year.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

AV Club hasn't been good since Nathan Rabin left as head writer (RIP The Dissolve).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ep5 of Legion was not even thay scary!! What the gently caress?! But it was good. Ep 6 isn't up on Hulu yet. I guess I'll get to it eventually.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Danny Rand is a moron

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Danny Rand is a moron

Like from Iron Fist? Did that start?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It went up an hour ago.

It's not great but it's not unwatchable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really like Danny Rand in the comics, so I am dreading watching this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to watch Iron Fist. It just sounds so poo poo

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

nah guys it's great

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not good. But it's not quite as bad as you're assuming. Mostly just kinda boring so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finished American Crime Story. I never thought I would have said it at the start but David Schwimmer was outstanding, he turned out being the emotional heart of the show. He played Rob's slow loss of faith in OJ so well. I want to give him a hug :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

American Crime Story is so good and if you wanna be bummed then I must inform you that the non-Ryan Murphy showrunners aren't returning for the next season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

American Crime Story is so good and if you wanna be bummed then I must inform you that the non-Ryan Murphy showrunners aren't returning for the next season.

Oh no what :( is Murphy running it alone, or are there new people?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I think it's utterly insane how much FX are investing in Murphy. They've cast the following two seasons of American Crime Story already, both to air next year, with a fourth already planned. There's also Feud, currently airing, the upcoming "election themed" season of American Horror Story, and his new 80's-set glitterazi thing they just announced.

He's not a good writer, he's shocking (in both senses) and capable of some deeply sentimental tracts. So, yeah, he can make you cry, or provide enough salaciousness early on to suggest the show's he'll produce will be good, but after that his creative toolbox is empty. Unless you want a story about pregnancy and blended families, with a dash of Down's Syndrome -- AKA, the first season of pretty much everything he's ever written[*] -- he's useless.

At the end of the day, he's a bullshit artist and not a creative artist. Give the shows to the people he's shepherding through, like Tim Minear or James Wong or whoever. Or, at the very least, give them the credit.

[*}Popular, Glee, American Horror Story, Nip/Tuck, The New Normal, even that cancelled Pretty/Handsome pilot -- like, I'm really not exaggerating here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tim Minear is running FEUD and it's real good so far. But I mostly agree with your post. There's already at least a second season of FEUD planned and maybe even a third

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Five episodes into Iron Fist. This show is... fine. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arist posted:

Well thanks for ruining everything.

• Locked thread