Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GramCracker posted:

You seem to have wicka mistaken for learnincurve

:(

I've barely posted and mostly lurked for weeks and weeks, because I'm spending 16 hours a day 7 days a week doing horrible miserable backbreaking labour. ":( " once again.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey LC we're all idiots it's okay

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've just spent two days solid being passive aggressively insulted my my mother and my dad crashed the (Renault) van I hired and the carpet fitters have hosed up and I have two houses to decorate in two days or I'll miss FP1 and 2. :(

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

I've just spent two days solid being passive aggressively insulted my my mother and my dad crashed the (Renault) van

Joylan Palmer account spotted.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Renault makes vans?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

daslog posted:

Renault makes vans?

Why is that in any way surprising to you?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

daslog posted:

Renault makes vans?

They are one of the largest commercial vehicle manufacturers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Why is that in any way surprising to you?

If he's from North America, like me, none of us have seen a French car sold here in well over 2 decades. And when they were sold here, their vans and trucks never made it over.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Two decades? Try three or four. I'm sure there are isolated exceptions) think it's rumored that my grandpa had a LeCar that almost immediately broke and sat in his backyard until he sold it, I believe with less than 5000 miles on it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Renault makes vans?

So you don't remember the Renault van they put an F1 engine in and Prost did laps with

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The the owner of the exhaust shop I use has a little Peugeot parked out front, i keep think about making an offer on it.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
AMC and early Chrysler era Jeeps are so full of French parts I almost consider them to be French cars. So good on you france, those jeeps are sweet :911::hf::france:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My dad had a Renault Alliance. It was poo poo

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Hey LC we're all idiots it's okay

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Meanwhile in NASCAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jwTw3wVbaA

Even hockey would penalize this....

Coulthard-Schumacher was better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TurboDrizzle posted:

AMC and early Chrysler era Jeeps are so full of French parts I almost consider them to be French cars. So good on you france, those jeeps are sweet :911::hf::france:

half of the engine parts on my mack were marked renault. explains why it gave up so often.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 16, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

My parents had the most retarded collection of cars and it cumulated in an ACVW that set itself on fire by ejecting the spark plug from the cylinder head.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/master.html The engine is good, the floor is good, everything on or in the van is made out of terrible cheap plastic designed to break. For some bizarre reason the doors have no keyholes so if your badly made plastic fob breaks then you are buggered. In conclusion; buy a mercedes sprinter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

learnincurve posted:

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/master.html The engine is good, the floor is good, everything on or in the van is made out of terrible cheap plastic designed to break. For some bizarre reason the doors have no keyholes so if your badly made plastic fob breaks then you are buggered. In conclusion; buy a mercedes sprinter.

Looks like there's a type on their website. it says the base model engine has 99hp. lol, it's not a motorcycle.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You don't need more than 150hp in a street car, 99 is perfectly adequate.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I've driven one, once. This is true.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

Any car with fewer than 200 hp is communist.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if there are any Eagle/Renault Medallions left running.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wonder if there are any Eagle/Renault Medallions left running.

I can't imagine too many, I don't think Chrysler really even wanted to sell them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah if you're a pussy

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My most powerful car has 155hp :suicide:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

NtotheTC posted:

McLaren explore Mercedes engine option after Honda problems

Incredible. They're going to go back to Mercedes the year after Alonso retires and have the best car, Jenson is going to come out of sabbatical and win another WDC.

Bold prediction: Alonso will yell "Hack Clown! Hack Clown!" over team radio at some point this season

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Yeah if you're a pussy

I daily drive a car in winter that I'm almost certainly going to die in if some idiot loses it under braking. I may be boring but I ain't no pussy.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Human Grand Prix posted:

My most powerful car has 155hp :suicide:

155, 138, 130 currently. I guess in my old age I'm allergic to power

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 16, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

Yeah, the much more important reason why Americans are drawn to oval racing is because NASCAR is incredibly popular and thus is seen as the end goal for most young drivers.

So F1 is gonna get the NASCAR drivers now?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poty posted:

Maybe, if F1 establishes itself in the US and NASCAR continues to decline. It's probably more likely that IndyCar reaps the benefits of that and F1 just plucks some of the most promising drivers from Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. OR maybe none of that happens. Honestly, though, I think even a best-case-scenario for NASCAR doesn't take them back to their peak in the 90s/00s.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

poty posted:

If the stars align absolutely perfectly, maybe a driver who is 8ish years old will make it in 10 years or so. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm not too familiar with the US ladder. Don't NASCAR hopefuls follow a different path?

NASCAR has three main sanctioned tiers: the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (the highest tier), the Xfinity Series, and the Camping World Truck Series. Much like F1, the tobacco names were less embarrassing before they were banned. Below those three are a bunch of regional series. There's also NASCAR for Canadians, Mexicans, and Europeans, but they mainly feature people of those nations and are not known for quality.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's not actually a super well-defined ladder in NASCAR. Jimmie Johnson was racing in random off-road series and then went straight into the Busch Series, more or less. But most of them probably come through the traditional sprint car ladder.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This was earlier but Australia has the Supercars which has been exported and all sorts of non-Australians apparently give a poo poo about now.

It's just as garbage tier as NASCAR as in it's got nothing to do with anything except that little niche of skills. Supercars are about learning to drive a family sedan that could take a baby seat but instead has some ridiculous V8 under the hood. NASCAR is about driving in circles which has nothing to do with loving anything (except driving in circles). Powerslides are cool and good in a Supercar and slow in an F1 car. Learning how to 'run side by side' like the Yanks love to say actually has nothing to do with anything because you don't get up to 300 kph, slot in next to someone else and then try and take a sweeping curve together in anything other than oval racing.

Everyone that is worth anything in F1 and therefore open wheel racing (really the only racing in racing cars, because everything else is modified domestic cars and shapes, open wheeler is what you get when you design it as a racing car from the ground up) cut their teeth in Europe. You get off your rear end and move there and you'll find out very quickly if you've got it or not. We Aussies have done it forever (Brabham) and Americans will have to do the same. Europe (England very much a part of it in this sense, even with the Brexit silliness) is still the home of track racing and will be for my lifetime.

edit: that comment said about NASCAR and running in the pack, that's often touted as a skill of a NASCAR driver.. running in a high speed pack without contact. But they don't brake! They don't take any real corners! You're 'pack experience' means nothing to F1 because running in the pack on a F1 circuit is nothing like driving an oval.

edit2: I think I recognize a couple of you from the iRacing thread so you'll recognize this as a good ole Tony making GBS threads on ovals post :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 17, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't watch much Nascar but the snooty claim that they are all talentless hacks is loving garbage

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but driving at 180 miles an hour 3 inches off the car in front of you takes some real skill, and huge balls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah NASCAR cars are known for never braking, the turns at Martinsville are flat-out like Eau Rouge is

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I never said they were talentless hacks. iRacing can show you very quickly how something that looks straightforward is anything but, car setup alone is some crazy poo poo that takes specific experience.

It's not that they're aren't great drivers. They're great oval drivers. The skills are different. There is some overlap, but a lot of it (like braking) doesn't transfer at all.

There is an opportunity cost with a young mind. Either you get better at this or this, you can't be perfect at both.

Young Americans are more concerned with learning how to drive ovals and that's why they're not in F1. That's the only point I'm making.

edit: that garbage tier comment is me being a huge F1 fan and basically saying anything that doesn't make you better in a F1 car is garbage. Extreme and a bit ridiculous, but I like F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Those skills transfer a hell of a lot more than you think. Plus, you're just ignoring the reality of how this works. Most young Americans come up through sprint cars. Most of the best of them end up aiming for NASCAR, sure - but some go to IndyCar, too, where they occasionally have to brake and turn left. You don't have to change the ladder, you just have to change what they're aiming for.

wicka fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread