Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wolfsheim posted:

Was that the power that let you play it like a Mass Effect vanguard? Because that poo poo was legit sick, true

Pretty much, yeah. Except because of how the drops worked it could be literally impossible to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Bought a one year PS+ membership, activated it, and now my expiration date is one year from now. Shouldn't it be one year + three months?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nickoten posted:

Bought a one year PS+ membership, activated it, and now my expiration date is one year from now. Shouldn't it be one year + three months?

There a voucher code coming to your email for that 3 months.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've noticed they sell a lot of PSNow games on the store. If I buy them, can I play without a PSNow subscription? Is it just an alternative to getting a subscription? Or do I have to pay the $20 a month for the subscription, and buy the games on top of that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PSNow and what you own as normal titles are completely separate entities. As cool as it would be, at this time you don't get to use PSNow for anything other than what's in the PSNow library, even including game DLC (although I think most games on PSNow are fairly complete as far as that's concerned). It'll pull your saves from the PS+ Cloud, so in theory you could play games on a local PS3 and then use PSNow to play them remotely, but otherwise there's no real added benefit to owning a permanent version of the game in question.

I'm not sure if they still do, but PSNow had a la carte games you could sign up for as opposed to the flat subscription, but the prices were almost universally terrible as the most you could get a game for was a 3-month period or thereabouts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

univbee posted:

PSNow and what you own as normal titles are completely separate entities. As cool as it would be, at this time you don't get to use PSNow for anything other than what's in the PSNow library, even including game DLC (although I think most games on PSNow are fairly complete as far as that's concerned). It'll pull your saves from the PS+ Cloud, so in theory you could play games on a local PS3 and then use PSNow to play them remotely, but otherwise there's no real added benefit to owning a permanent version of the game in question.

I'm not sure if they still do, but PSNow had a la carte games you could sign up for as opposed to the flat subscription, but the prices were almost universally terrible as the most you could get a game for was a 3-month period or thereabouts.
So when it says PSN Game, I can buy that and play it without PSNow?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FactsAreUseless posted:

yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh PSN means Playstation Network so yeah you don't need PSNow (for any game you buy as far as i know)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, as long as you're playing on the console the PSN game is intended for.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't really understand why people are so hyped about the new Mass Effect's multiplayer. Loot boxes are a drat travesty with 60 dollar games, and they seem to have doubled down on that compared to the last one.

Whatever, people love throwing money away, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kirios posted:

I don't really understand why people are so hyped about the new Mass Effect's multiplayer. Loot boxes are a drat travesty with 60 dollar games, and they seem to have doubled down on that compared to the last one.

People really want to like Mass Effect.

You should read the thread on the game if you want to see how low people will lower their expectations just to be okay with the game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mass Effect 2's probably my favorite game from last generation.

But we've got to be able to move on. Nothing about the new one gives me confidence it's going to be any good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kirios posted:

PSO's red boxes did something to me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
ME3's loot boxes were one of the only instances where they weren't bad. They weren't great and the game would have been far better without them, but it was a very fun experience regardless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kirios posted:

People really liked ME 3 multi and hope the new one will be as good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I completely get the red boxes of PSO...trust me.

But it's clear the ME3 multiplayer would be significantly better without them. It just screams the most obvious cash grab and yet people buy into it immediately, like it's an addiction or something.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

This is technically the 3rd weekend of the month: Flash sale coming tomorrow?

I know it's been on sale multiple times recently, but I got a hunkering to play Rocket League. I got my PS4 like 2 months after it was given away and my laptop can't run it. Let's go 10 buck sale!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Kirios posted:

I see the difference between launch ME3 Multiplayer, and Current ME3 Multiplayer, and thank loot boxes. The people who bought them funded a HUGE amount of FREE content that would of otherwise not been in the game. Also, the boxes are earnable. You arnt getting anything bonus for spending cash, just getting a chance to roll boxes more often.

If they popped you for loot boxes, then charged for DLC, that's pretty poo poo. But ME3 Loot boxes are not terrible and they used the money they made from it to make the game better.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Athanatos posted:

I see the difference between launch ME3 Multiplayer, and Current ME3 Multiplayer, and thank loot boxes. The people who bought them funded a HUGE amount of FREE content that would of otherwise not been in the game. Also, the boxes are earnable. You arnt getting anything bonus for spending cash, just getting a chance to roll boxes more often.

If they popped you for loot boxes, then charged for DLC, that's pretty poo poo. But ME3 Loot boxes are not terrible and they used the money they made from it to make the game better.

That's actually a pretty good point to make. Let the whales sink a stupid amount of money in, free content for me!

I would argue that the time it took to earn a decent loot box was way too long, but that's personal preference.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Kirios posted:

That's actually a pretty good point to make. Let the whales sink a stupid amount of money in, free content for me!

I would argue that the time it took to earn a decent loot box was way too long, but that's personal preference.

That's understandable. Blops 3 does the same type of Loot box thing but you earn credits so slow for it, it does feel like spending money is the best way to get stuff. Then they change for DLC on top of that and it becomes dumb.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kirios posted:

It's also the design philosophy behind GTA Online, where like the top 1% of spenders spend so much on their game that they can afford to make all the expansions to it for free. Unfortunately in recent years all the content costs a ludicrous amount of in-game money, likely to encourage more real money spending, but it's appreciated that they don't charge just to get in.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It's also the design philosophy behind GTA Online, where like the top 1% of spenders spend so much on their game that they can afford to make all the expansions to it for free. Unfortunately in recent years all the content costs a ludicrous amount of in-game money, likely to encourage more real money spending, but it's appreciated that they don't charge just to get in.

Yeah, and those jerks mean I'll never get a single player expansion to GTAV. :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kirios posted:

It did take quite a while to buy the top tier loot box, but it was still easier than most lower F2P grinds. Beyond that, the game was perfectly playable and fun even without the items in the loot boxes. It's my go to example for minimally invasive microtransactions since it rarely if ever impeded your fun and usually just enhanced it.

Two additional points that MOST loot boxes miss now:

They were not limited use unlocks, and even lower boxes had fun stuff, especially early on in your career where any drop was worth getting.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you spent $100 a few weeks ago during the promotion, check your PSN messages. I got my $15 credit.

Nothing. Hopefully they're just sending them out in waves; I really hate dealing with PlayStation support.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Disc Jam is pretty cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Disc Jam is pretty cool

i like it. local 2 player suffers for the split screen though. wind jammers was more elegant with the single playfield

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

Disc Jam is pretty cool

I've been playing a bunch of doubles with a buddy and it's an absolute blast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how has salt and sanctuary not ever gone on sale yet?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

I recall it being discounted once or twice, quite sparingly. Frankly, it's worth full price. The credits list for that game is like three people, and it is an incredibly meaty game for so small a dev team. It's not perfect, it's sort of got a problem of trying to have its cake and eat it too, by featuring Castlevania-style knock-back from hits, but Dark Souls style fall damage, resulting in some very trying platforming challenges if you're foolish enough to go heavy armor.

Play light armor, and use whatever weapons you like and you have a game with tons of levels, bosses, and...y'know, it's really just solid, it's a game you could talk a lot about but at the end of the day it's just good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/cech4300c.html

Sony has quietly updated the PS3 hardware page to say it's being discontinued soon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dehry posted:

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/cech4300c.html

Sony has quietly updated the PS3 hardware page to say it's being discontinued soon.

Hm, this has been somewhat inevitable for a bit now, the PS4 is already starting to show its age and that makes the PS3 damned near obsolete, though its collection of digital PS2 games is going to have me hold onto mine.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
With the PS3 system being discontinued, how much longer can we expect the PS3 online store to stay operational?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

You and I have a very different take on Salt & Sanctuary.

I found it to be too unbalanced, clunky, and it veers far more into Dark Souls territory than Castlevania, unapologetically so. As someone who loves DS, I was not a fan of S&S. Oh and if you plan on doing co-op, be ready to repeat content for both parties or it'll gimp the poo poo out of your buddy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My problem with S&S was that it just copied pretty much everything from Dark Souls without wondering wether they would work in 2D or not. Not having a map and constantly getting sniped from multiple directions got old quick.
Momodora came out on PS4 just recently and that does a much better job of taking bits from DS they liked and applying them to a 2D exploration game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I AM THE TOILET posted:

With the PS3 system being discontinued, how much longer can we expect the PS3 online store to stay operational?

Could be a while. Maybe years. They still regularly put ps3 games on sale all the time.

I hope retailers try to sell their ps3s on clearance. I wouldn't mind getting a spare for 80 bucks brand new.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Real hurthling! posted:

It has in EU, not that that helps, but may give you hope!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Rock Band 4 just got an update:

Alas, "anorexic" is still the only body type available.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

New optional boss in Mass Effect Andromeda: "Green Grass and High Tides".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jolo posted:

New optional boss in Mass Effect Andromeda: "Green/Red/Blue Grass and High Tides".

It's the exact same song, they just change a couple of the notes in one of the solos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I hope it's a while, i'd be sorta mad if i lost access to all the PS3 games i've bought on PSN